Major huge spoiler...but if you've seen the movie :D

Chris

Yep....picked up several of them and tossed them all over the place....yet didn't think to use the Force to snatch the disc off the last soldier's hand?

Still easily the best scene in the entire movie

Edited by jvmacross

Just got back from the movie.

Much, MUCH better than Force Awakens.

Lots of little Easter eggs for fans of the original film. Subtle enough for those in the know, but nothing required or essential to enjoy the film.

Glad that all of them died at the end. Makes the Empire look somewhat competent.

And stupid Vader. . . . wasting all that time waving his lightsaber around and not using the bloody Force to grab the data disc. :p

So, does this mean that the Death Star Architect is no longer canon?! Seriously, why the hell is an EXHAUST port sucking IN the torpedo, instead of pushing it OUT?

Lastly, can we have a stand-alone film with K-2SO and Chopper finding HK-47 and having hilarity ensue? :ph34r:

[cough] Empire is still the best [cough]

This one is definitely up there though, but it ain't unseating the king.

People are accusing Vader of being incompetent, but he really isn't. Vader has had his own, self serving, narcissistic agenda that started in Episode 1. This movie is just the latest example of how he takes actions, or inactions, to serve his own plan. What happened or didn't happened is a result of Vader's own scheme for what ultimately happened in ROTJ... Edited by myk

Well Ani/Vader isn't exactly a guy who stops and thinks out a strategy. Always been kinda impulsive, fly by the seat of his pants.

Also, loved how

the Empire claimed the destruction of Jedah was a "mining accident." :lol:

why would Vader know the disk was there? From his point of view there are several armed soldiers facing him and another one to the rear desperately try to open the door. Nothing overtly says "THIS GUY HAS THE PLANS"

Chris

Edited by Dobber

Well Ani/Vader isn't exactly a guy who stops and thinks out a strategy. Always been kinda impulsive, fly by the seat of his pants.

Also, loved how

the Empire claimed the destruction of Jedah was a "mining accident." :lol:

The impulsiveness is a result of his style, that doesn't mean that he doesn't have his own plan. Listen to his words in every movie, especially episodes 2,3, and 5. He knows what he's doing, he's been doing it all along...

• 2 weeks later...

I liked the movie, but it did feel a bit unnecessary. I liked the K2SO and actually thought he had the most developed back story. The main characters were a bit dull even for a Star Wars film. I also thought the main plot was over simplified.

I am being a bit nit picky and really recomend the movie to any one with an interest in the franchise.

I was bored during the entire viewing.  Phantom Menace was better, from a certain point of view.

CGI effects, not the CGI character effects was outstanding.  The action scenes were good.  Technically is was a well crafted movie.  Problem is that the characters had no character and zero chemistry.  It is hard to get caught up in the world of make believe, to care whether characters live or die when the characters themselves aren't interesting to watch.

Loved it. The last 10 minutes are just sheer awesomeness.  Saw it in a Dolby Atmos theater and needed to have my hearing checked after! Good grief! Anyway, It was great to have a darker tone Star WARS movie, and yes, this is more like a war movie, it's gritty, it's not all Ewoks and Gungans..FACT.  It was all I hoped it would be. Great filler to slot in between ROTS and New Hope. Yes, some of the characters didn't have a lot of chemistry and I found myself not really caring about a great many of them, but I was focused on the Empire part of the story from the get go.  That was what I was really interested in, and the film didn't disappoint on that end. K-2SO was a great character as well, I'm gonna have to get the Bandai 1/6 kit of him for sure.  The CGI blew me away as well. Everything just looked so good, lots of eye candy for sure.

Edited by derex3592

Actually, the X-Wing in the book is movies Red leader's. There is also a side view of Saw's X-Wing's. Another interesting thing about this Ultimate Visual guide is it also doubles as a cross-section book for most of the new vehicles seen in Rogue One.

IMG_2071.JPGIMG_2070.JPG

Edited by Dobber

I saw this the Friday it released.  I liked it alright.  Easily better than TFA but nowhere as good as the original trilogy.  It needed ten or fifteen minutes more to sell personalities and a team dynamic.  I still liked the characters more than TFA.

That funal scene was... Terrible.  And completely inconsistent with the rest of cannon.  Pure, idiotic fanboyism and I didn't find it nearly as harrowing or exciting as others tried selling it to me.

Edited by Mommar

I saw this the Friday after it came out and was a big fan. The only bummer is that it's definitely a lot lower down the "kid friendly" spectrum for those of us looking forward to sharing all things Star Wars with the kiddos but that's fine, there should be a large spectrum to keep the fun going for a while. As far as negatives of the action film, i have nothing but quibbles. For all the flack JJ Abrams got for lens flares, Gareth should get some for his use of shadows... it was cool at times but definitely overdone. Speaking of overdone, they over-used T. His first appearance should have been done via hologram call so it wasn't quite so obvious the actor was dead. His other scenes were small enough that it wouldn't have been so obvious he was getting the Jar Jar treatment. The first 30 minutes are also very jumpy... the film doesn't feel coherent until the team coalesces. A common question/complaint others have asked after seeing the film has been "Isn't the pilot supposed to be insane?" Saw's line seems pretty misleading. It takes the pilot about 1 minute to get his head back on straight. Again, all that's quibbles by my book. There were lots of amazing shots and what started off pretty bumpy turned into a pretty fun ride.

So what is the explanation being given for why Vader went all Sith psycho at the end of RO...but minutes later gets lazy and lets his storm troopers board the same ship and just chokes one guy?  It ruins the start of ANH.

Although it was the coolest scene in the entire RO movie....it didn't really tie logically into the beginning of ANH as they seem to want everyone to believe and now lessens the impact of that entire opening scene of ANH.  If they wanted to cash in on that Vader, they should have just game him his own "anthology".

Maybe they are hoping you read some book or comic to get the "explanation" at some point...;)

3 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

The one scene that was totally unnecessary and makes me wonder if it was part of the re-shoots or not...

Reveal hidden contents

When Bohdi was molested by the tentacle creature. Seriously, it added nothing to the film.

I suspect that scene is there for 2 reasons. 1) Establish that Saw really is much more 'militant' than the other rebels. That doesn't seem like the kind of thing your mainstream rebel would do. 2) Further illustrate the very bad things the rebels are doing since a central tenet of the film is that the rebels had shelved numerous ideals in their pursuit of freedom. That said... I don't think the scene was necessary or worked.

So what is the explanation being given for why Vader went all Sith psycho at the end of RO...but minutes later gets lazy and lets his storm troopers board the same ship and just chokes one guy?  It ruins the start of ANH.

I think the explanation would be urgency. In ANH he has her entire ship on board his ship... no need to go flying through it pulverizing people. He can tear the ship apart bolt by bolt if he needs to.

4 minutes ago, jenius said:

I think the explanation would be urgency. In ANH he has her entire ship on board his ship... no need to go flying through it pulverizing people. He can tear the ship apart bolt by bolt if he needs to.

Nah...it was just a way to make Vader a badass again....and they accomplished that...but in a way that really did not fit in with the story as we had known it....they could have done it in another scene involving the rebels...

The "Rebels" were being chased after being a part of a major terrorist assault on an Imperial facility....now all I can think is why not just kill everyone on the ship, knowing that they have the plans....and knowing what Vader had just done to part of the ship's crew just minutes before....

Additionally....they were fleeing a "combat" zone....in ANH they claimed that they were on a "diplomatic mission"...Darth Vader was witness to the fact that they were not....who were they trying to fool?  Not sure where I read it, but supposedly ANH starts within 10 minutes after RO ends....

You didn't ask for motivation, you asked for explanation. I agree on the motivation, obviously Vader is a huge draw. The explanation is urgency. Why not kill everyone? That's a fair question, and I would presume the answer is that Vader doesn't know exactly where the plans went. If he kills everyone on THAT ship will he kill the person who had the plans? It seems he wants to hold the plans in his hands to know they are secured. That same answer carries forward to ANH. He captures Leia, he doesn't destroy her ship and fly away.

The "diplomatic mission" doesn't really need explanation. I think "Dood, I got no idea what you're talking about" is pretty standard 'just been caught' operating procedure. She is a diplomat and we don't know what her cover was before being a part of the attack. She might have left Alderaan on the guise of a diplomatic mission so now she's just playing that card. 

Totally makes sense to me that ANH would start 10 minutes later.

I for one was made more and more irate by the fact that they forgot to turn off the music. Like a brass quartet in your ear drums for three hours straight...

Otherwise, sub-par movie overall. Not bad, but closer to it than to good. Never thought the plan-stealing played out as a big dumb battle. More like harried espionage and infiltration gone awry. It could have been a rollicking good spy thriller in the Star Wars universe, but nope, right back to same old same old Star Wars space battles.

One final gripe: Shouldn't have fired the weapon. Was a lazy storytelling strategy. There were plenty of creative ways to go about things.

I'm glad people enjoyed it, though.

Sure the rebels could have said whatever they wanted but Vader knew they were lying and that is all that mattered in that situation...it was wrong of him (mission-wise) not to have just killed everyone on-board and then looked for the plans as they "tore the ship apart".....in the very least, know one would have been able to get those plans off the ship...since apparently it is a big "process" to be able to simply "transmit them"......of course, this is all based on the events portrayed in RO just minutes before the start of ANH.....before we had not known "how far" Vader would go to secure the plans......after RO....his "resolve" seems extremely restrained to the point where it is now basically two distinct Vaders...the RO Vader and the ANH Vader.....so everything now needs an explanation.....and I am sure it will be coming soon to a novel or comic near you! :rolleyes:

Personally, he doesn't think too much of the Death Star compared to the "power of the force"....so perhaps he just doesn't care if the Rebels did find a weakness...which they obviously did.....and the same can be said of his view of the DS2.....the only hint of his true intentions are revealed in ESB, but it is vague as the audience is left feeling if that was his actual plans or just saying lies to lure Luke to the darkside.....perhaps they were further explained in in the recent novels or comics, but I have not followed any of those....

20 minutes ago, Roy Focker said:

Maybe Vader pulled a muscle in his big scene that causes him to send the Storm Troopers in first in Episode IV.  It also explains why the last duel with Obi-wan was so epic. 

Anyways there's also this.

LOL.....yeah....I agree with this...RO only works based on everything we already know about SW....that was the reason why TFA was successful....but that is fine....I did not need any background info for RO to "work"....but I did need stuff that made some sense, especially when they need to tie-in to "everything we already knew about SW" from the existing movies....the decision to force the Vader scene connection was the weakest link....it was just fan-service

As for him experiencing a muscle injury....who knows...anything is possible at this point....I am watching Rebels season 1 now....and also bought season 2...perhaps there will be some explanations as to his change in combat styles.....his RO style was more like his PT style of brutality......so I guess that was a better tie-in to the PT Vader than the OT....

Surprised to see that there isn't that much chatter about this film here.

I loved it.  It was literally one of the few films I have ever found myself inching forward and sitting on the edge of my seat.  I acknowledge all the quibbles and nitpicks folks seem to have about the film, but I'm okay with them.  

I got what I wanted out of it, to see some really awesome X-wing action, space battles, ground fighting, some pretty awesome Easter eggs and nods to the previous films, and most importantly, I needed to see Vader fukking $hit up.  It was done well, not over the top like in the other prequels, so I'm quite satisfied. 

2 hours ago, jvmacross said:

Sure the rebels could have said whatever they wanted but Vader knew they were lying and that is all that mattered in that situation...it was wrong of him (mission-wise) not to have just killed everyone on-board and then looked for the plans as they "tore the ship apart".....in the very least, know one would have been able to get those plans off the ship...since apparently it is a big "process" to be able to simply "transmit them"......of course, this is all based on the events portrayed in RO just minutes before the start of ANH.....before we had not known "how far" Vader would go to secure the plans......after RO....his "resolve" seems extremely restrained to the point where it is now basically two distinct Vaders...the RO Vader and the ANH Vader.....so everything now needs an explanation.....and I am sure it will be coming soon to a novel or comic near you! :rolleyes:

Personally, he doesn't think too much of the Death Star compared to the "power of the force"....so perhaps he just doesn't care if the Rebels did find a weakness...which they obviously did.....and the same can be said of his view of the DS2.....the only hint of his true intentions are revealed in ESB, but it is vague as the audience is left feeling if that was his actual plans or just saying lies to lure Luke to the darkside.....perhaps they were further explained in in the recent novels or comics, but I have not followed any of those....

You have to remember that he is also looking for the hidden rebel base. Can't get that information out of corpses. Vader also  told the Storm Trooper Officer to inform the Senate that all aboard were killed. They are effectively dead now, but the Empire can take their time in extracting every bit of information out of them before they are executed.

Chris