• 4 months later...
On 5/5/2017 at 8:08 PM, jvmacross said:

Very cool. I agree with the fan editor and not the author of the article. I hated Giacchino's score and I also noticed different sound effects for established weapons and tech and it really did bug me. This guy fixed all that. Good job!

Chris

Edited by Dobber

Yeah, as nice as the nostalgia is for some of it, taking that entire segment of the Death Star battle soundtrack verbatim doesn't fit.  The sound effects were an improvement, but the music needs more cutting and pasting of different segments to fit the scenes as they're laid out.  The cut back and forth with the guy on the planet was especially jarring.

Also.. funny as this is might sound, I don't think he used the best cut of the Yavin battle tracks... they sounded older, and lower quality than the rest of the scene.  I think using certain segments from Endor would've been better fitting as well.

Edited by Chronocidal

50 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

Yeah, as nice as the nostalgia is for some of it, taking that entire segment of the Death Star battle soundtrack verbatim doesn't fit.  The sound effects were an improvement, but the music needs more cutting and pasting of different segments to fit the scenes as they're laid out.  The cut back and forth with the guy on the planet was especially jarring.

Also.. funny as this is might sound, I don't think he used the best cut of the Yavin battle tracks... they sounded older, and lower quality than the rest of the scene.  I think using certain segments from Endor would've been better fitting as well.

Yup, all of this.

Pretty much exactly that, and that's even directly borne out in the musical cues.  Maybe this isn't official, but going through my memory of the original trilogy, I only really remember hearing derivatives of the opening title theme in scenes explicitly involving Luke in particular.  Williams did play cut and paste with his cues quite a bit, so I'm probably forgetting some, but he was very careful in where he used specific themes.  I don't remember that much about the prequels, so I can't say the same thing was done there, but most of the prequel music was really thematically lacking, and I really only remember one theme from each movie.  The classic "Force" theme was sampled a lot, but Anakin had his own theme from TPM that I don't think was ever used again.

The end credits of Rogue One did surprise me though, bringing back in the obligatory fanfare intro, but it was entirely fitting given the ending, and lead into ANH.

When it comes time to listen to the soundtrack for the Han Solo film, I'll be interested to see who they get to score it, and whether it'll use any of OT themes.  I'm really kind of hoping it doesn't actually, since the only real theme Han had was tied to Leia, and she won't be involved.

On 9/15/2017 at 10:21 AM, Mommar said:

While Giacchino's score wasn't the greatest the hacked in OT music really DOESN'T fit the scenes well at all.  The new intro works though.

I hadn't heard anything interesting from Giacchino since LOST. Probably not his fault as the studios probably aren't allowing him to create any music that is too original out of fear it doesn't fit the Star Wars theme. That being said, I hadn't bought any Star Wars soundtracks since ROTS.

On 9/17/2017 at 11:23 PM, Mommar said:

Because it's not about the Skywalkers.

That's a bad road to go down if they will continue the main series after these new movies. Not all Star Wars or main Star Wars movies should be about the Skywalkers. It's like how some people think Star Trek needs Kirk in the movies.

On 9/19/2017 at 7:21 AM, TangledThorns said:

That being said, I hadn't bought any Star Wars soundtracks since ROTS.

Same here.

This sunday our Oregon Museum of Science & Industry otherwise known as OMSI will be hosting a special screening on their IMAX room for Rogue One......they invited the 501st group I'm in to come entertain people as they come by for an hour and I guess we get free access to the film after that. I enjoyed the film but I never saw the imax version I think, can't recall....so I'm really looking forward to this!

5 hours ago, JetJockey said:

That's a bad road to go down if they will continue the main series after these new movies. Not all Star Wars or main Star Wars movies should be about the Skywalkers. It's like how some people think Star Trek needs Kirk in the movies.

It's the road laid out by George Lucas.  He said these movies are about the Skywalkers.  Nobody ever said Star Trek was about Kirk nor is it expected.

I heard that originally Lucas intended these movies to be the memories of R2-D2, which is why that droid has been in every single one. So how will they shoehorn it into the Han Solo film?

27 minutes ago, Sildani said:

I heard that originally Lucas intended these movies to be the memories of R2-D2, which is why that droid has been in every single one. So how will they shoehorn it into the Han Solo film?

Actually, they were originally from the perspective of a third party alien (essentially the Force itself) who have now been folded back into the stories as The Whills of the Force.  Whatever the original intent was is irrelevant though, it's not the pondering of Artoo but a story of the Skywalker lineage.  Thus far anyway, Disney can change that, but the official line from Lucas for thirty years has been it's a Skywalker story and thusfar has been true.

• 4 years later...