Reshoots are normal for just this kind of thing. You don't know what pieces you're missing until you start putting it together. Every marvel movie has schedules reshoots.

I'd be more concerned if they were reshoots being done under a new director.

That would be horrible. Maybe they want to inject part of the fun formula in it. Only seen monsters and Godzilla from Edwards. They were both serious. A different tone in star wars is fine by me but I'm not an investor that needs the most returns and people want the "feeling of star wars". Wasn't this supposed to be more of a gritty war movie?

That would be horrible. Maybe they want to inject part of the fun formula in it. Only seen monsters and Godzilla from Edwards. They were both serious. A different tone in star wars is fine by me but I'm not an investor that needs the most returns and people want the "feeling of star wars". Wasn't this supposed to be more of a gritty war movie?

Yes, but it sounds like it may have been too dark.

Really hoping this film will eliminate the Mary Sue characterization prominently displayed in TFA. Disney is clearly on a feminist crusade with the SW franchise and it does not look like it will stop this anytime soon.

*points* *laughs*

Reshoots are common, but the extent of reshoots could be a major problem, like with the recent Fantastic 4 movie. Hopefully this won't be a bad film or started out as a bad film in need of major help.

2 female leads in a row isn't too bad for Starwars. After 6 movies the ladies need a bit of love, and not just to be the love interest. I think the next one after episode8 is back to a dude anyway.

Yes, but it sounds like it may have been too dark.

I'm wondering how close they'll start looking at Ryan Johnson's work now.

JJ was safe as he's good at mimicking his idols.

Edited by Negotiator

He said, he said

Either it's damage control or there's crap on the wall. Who do you want to believe?

I'm not sure what the contradiction is here. I only read /Film's report on this, and it's not really any different than what Deadline is reporting: an internal first cut screening is leading to reshoots in July.

Gareth Edwards: "Wait, you think *everybody dies* was a bad idea?..."

*snort* Yeah, they need some survivors just in case they want to make a sequel - and don't want to go the hooky SF route of clones/prequels.

Reports today are it is definitely an issue of tone. It comes across of more of a traditional war film instead of a Star Wars film. It was just a tad too dark. Reshoots are taking place this month, not July.

Reports today are it is definitely an issue of tone. It comes across of more of a traditional war film instead of a Star Wars film. It was just a tad too dark. Reshoots are taking place this month, not July.

But wasn't that the whole point of these side-stories? Star Wars Movies that could feel like different films.

But wasn't that the whole point of these side-stories? Star Wars Movies that could feel like different films.

Yes, but I think because Rogue One ends roughly 10 minutes before Star Wars begins, they feel a need to bring them more in line. I'm not saying it's the right move, but I understand their thinking.

If the reshoots do not take away from the story, fine, if they add something great. SO long as they are not changing or cutting major scenes needed to tell the story I am good.

Hey, let's choose this cool, young director who is known for his different spin on SF tropes and his serious tone, and then tie his hands, castrate him, and make him play safe and do what has been done before, twice...

Include a lead actress demanding her main character be killed off and I would guess you would be talking about Alien 3.

Either way I hope the deleted scenes are all included on the BD release in their entirety to see what the movie could've been.

I would also love it if most of the main cast dies to add some weight/consequence and add more meaning to ANH...

...Not like Cap CW's Bullsh*t cosplay fights.

I like how the assumption is it went from "everybody dies horribly" to "epic fantasy hero saga".

Personally, I'm assuming it went from kinda dark to a shade or two less dark but still far darker than usual.

And hoping for: reshooting to add more Kyle Katarn.

Wonder if the opening sequence of ANH is immediately after the plans are stolen?

Remaining Rogue One team rendezvous with Leia above Tatooine....RO ship had tracking device....Vader in the Star Destroyer jumps out of hyperspace....blows up RO ship.....begins chasing Tantive IV....then ANH opening sequence begins....

Yes, but I think because Rogue One ends roughly 10 minutes before Star Wars begins...

4653729-laugh%2Bmy%2Bass%2Boff%2Bevery%2

Christopher McQuarrie came out and totally shot down the crazy rumor that he was involved in the reshoots. It's also impossible for this reshoot to be as massive as some sites are reporting, given that Disney has publicly stated the reshoots aren't affecting the release date.

Too dark? I sort of saw this coming with Disney at the helm. Hopes of a really dark film with Vader in his prime probably won't materialize.

You can't have characters like him portrayed for who they really are:

where-s-darth-vader-all-the-star-wars-hi

raoq6i3zhiq78kigjuam.jpg

....when this is really what Disney wants:

Star-Wars-The-Original-Trilogy-Tsum-Tsum

Disney knows there is an older audience (with a buncha money) dedicated to the series so a rampaging Vader film could happen. Maybe they are adding in more shots of him killing the main characters of Rogue One and want to keep it low key.

Edited by dizman

What's with all the blood lust all of a sudden? "I like Star Wars, but I'd like it better if it was two hours of people getting brutally murdered."

It's just people saying they're okay with change provided it's still a good movie. I think with a good DVD release it could have a dark version and a more traditional SW feel version.

Latest reports from EW state that the levity that was mentioned is not for the action sequences but rather the quieter moments to help flesh out the characters. It is still very much a war movie.

Reshoots are normal guys, I have faith it will still be a good movie. I will agree, though, that IF the tone is changed, it would be disappointing because this is the opportunity to make something a little different in the SW universe. Doesn't mean I won't like it still and it doesn't mean it would be better as a dark movie. The tonal shift may be a good thing. We just have to wait and see. ;)

Chris

The reshoots were scheduled for this summer before principle photography had even started. There were things they weren't 100% with going in. Most of what they'll be shooting will be inserted into scenes already shot.

Edit: also, the reshoots are not for tone. They're for clarity and character development. It's meant to feel like a war film, and that isn't changing.

Edited by Duke Togo