Arcadia 1/60 Perfect Transformation VF-0D for 2015

Dark_Ghost

If no one says anything until after release, there's zero chance of fixing it. Mentioning things now means corrective action can be taken.

Fixing things afterwards is expensive----doing it right in the first place is a lot easier.

But it has already been said that we don't even know what this really looks like. Monitors do not capture color accurately, unless calibrated properly, and there are many variables affecting the quality of the blurry images above---variables that we are not privy to. Already, it looks like the prototype is using two different shades of blue or maybe two different lighting set ups for these teasers.

I think the pitchforks can wait until there are better, more reliable, images.

But it has already been said that we don't even know what this really looks like. Monitors do not capture color accurately, unless calibrated properly, and there are many variables affecting the quality of the blurry images above---variables that we are not privy to. Already, it looks like the prototype is using two different shades of blue or maybe two different lighting set ups for these teasers.

I think the pitchforks can wait until there are better, more reliable, images.

This.

If no one says anything until after release, there's zero chance of fixing it. Mentioning things now means corrective action can be taken.

Fixing things afterwards is expensive----doing it right in the first place is a lot easier.

Yeah but are you saying it on his twitter? I doubt he's reading this thread.

I'm glad they used the YF-19 as a test valk to get all the bad stuff out of the way, at least I hope. Especially since I didn't buy one :p

Edited by Gakken85

Bandai had some nice renders on their site years ago, in "neutral" lighting---the ones of the Sv-51's were sent to Yamato as color references----and you'll note how perfectly Nora's turned out.

However, *Shin's* VF-0D wasn't available at the site IIRC (as I don't have them, and I spent a while scouring the site for pics)---but wherever this scan is from, it's got the exact same pose/angles as the CF VF-0D from that site---so I believe these renders were done for the same purpose at the same time--as in, they are "neutral lighting/untinted" pics intended to be "official references" for how the valks look. (as they are often tinted blue/orange/pink in the anime, depending on lighting---a lot of the fighting takes place underwater, at sunset, etc)

So this should be how Shin's "really" looks AFAIK:

gallery_16_647_70560.jpg

It's blue, but it's more of a slate blue-grey, rather than *BLUE*. Really, the pics being tweeted lately, look closest to Max's VF-22S, more than anything. I always thought Shin's looked kind of like "oceanic camo"----it blends in well with the water, and isn't far off from the colors used by Japan's Maritime Defense F-2's.

Of course, this is just a scan, and not the original---but it shouldnt' be too far off--nothing in that pic seems "oddly colored". And of course, it does match how it looks in the anime. (at least, my copy of the anime---which I actually got via Graham some years back)

Is there like a newer blu-ray version of M0 out there, remastered with "corrected color" or something? Maybe it does look much more cobalt/periwinkle in HD remasters or something...

All the lineart pics I've googled seems to have the saturated blue though.

Yes, but they're (almost?)all fan drawings made after the fact. And considering how rare "official" un-altered pics of the CGI model is, I'd vote most get the blue wrong. (that, and few people consider intensity/saturation when picking colors---value and hue/chroma always get WAY more attention---most people will ignore saturation--but it's critica for Shin's 0D)

If anything, the scan is too dark. But the hue and saturation should be correct. Value is least important, mainly due to the "scale effect".

If you think it will help, then you should definitely share the image with Mr. K. For what it's worth, I also like the darker slate blue from the renders above. And remembering the color changes to the YF-19, I wonder if Arcadia is still testing to find the right blue?

A kind suggestion would probably go a long way. I wish I knew Japanese.

I'm thinking what everybody else is, if you want Arcadia to see it reply to Mr K's twitter photo with that pic.

Let me ask you, how similar in color were you thinking it should be in relation to the images in the Master File book (I know, not cannon.) Because after flipping through it the blue looks more like the blue they have on the 0C on pages 14 and 15 of the Master File book. In the photo David posted, I know it's dark, but it appears to be a bit of a desaturated blue-grey.

I would say the Arcadia is looking a little too VF-1J Max blue and could use a little more gray. I would also add that in my experience, using a macro lens under high light tends to make colors much more vibrant so I'm going with the "Let's wait and see" camp. I'm also not going to be too much of a stickler, i think we could argue that Yamato always made Max's VF-1J too dark of a blue and Milia's too crimson but that they also look better that way.

Yeah, both those blue hues are off. There's the whole monitor type/resolution thing at play for sure but neither of those hues are steel blue like the 0D in the OAVs. Still early in the game for painting so I'm sure they'll adjust like they did with the new 19.

I think they actually made the -19 worse, I liked the "2nd-to-last" version they showed. The final version is greenish and "yucky", not the "warm sandy-beige" of the Yamato or Hasegawa. (the Hase is too intense, but the right hue)

But the -19 is only a little bit off---whereas the 0D is just plain completely totally wrong in my eyes.