1/60 Yamato VF-4G Web-Exclusive Toy

Graham

VF-4 Poll  

333 members have voted

1. 1. If you lived in Japan would you pre-order a VF-4?

• I would pre-order but I'm not sure I can afford it.
    • Yes I would pre-order, but I would only buy it if it was under $300 (about 24000円).
    • I would pre-order it and buy it at any price.
    • I would pre-order it just to bump the numbers, but won't actually buy it.

I got my last hurrah of 2012 today, thanks to Fed-Ex, and a package from HLJ containing a VF-17D and a VF-4 Lightning. What a lovely bird she be. :wub: It's definitely an impressive bit of engineering, and quite solid in battroid. The only real hang up is the lack of rotating shoulders, limiting the upward movement of the arms. I wish they'd also added just a bit more length to the forearms to allow the poseable hands to fit inside, but it's a minor gripe. After years of waiting and hoping for a fully transformable VF-4, I'm extremely pleased with what Yamato has accomplished here. I was pretty impressed, too, with how well it balances, given how far back those upper engine nacelles extend. I like the color scheme, and the red they chose is nice darker matte red that looks nice, IMO.

I'm glad Yamato arrived at their own solution for transforming this beauty, rather than copying Experten's overcomplicated system of lnkages. They also created a nice tight double jointed knee to affect transformation. From the beginning, I felt this would be the weakest point, but my fears are relieved after handling mine. Overall, this is another great entry in Yamato's Macross lineup.

I have to echo the sentiment...nice avatar, Exo. Looks more like scene from a movie than cosplay.

Paid a week ago for my squad, but HLJ has yet to ship any. Starting to think they don’t have any more in stock… :/

Besides NY are there any more shops out there which are carrying this bird?

It's abit more expensive than most MWer's would be willing to pay, being used to HLJ & NY...but alot cheaper than the very near future on ebay....hear ya go..hkcollectables.com $403.71 B4 shipping.

Mine is sitting in my HLJ Private Warehouse hoping for some other stuff to become available to ship. I had actually planned to keep it boxed forever as a "collectible" but all these great reviews and pretty pictures are making me rethink my previous plans.

-b.

Ah, but will it look intentional/seamless? :)/>/>/>

The vertical stabs look great. The canards do have a little gaps but you can fiddle with it to reduce the gap. The last 2 pictures are with the canards all the way up to show the difference.

Chris

post-265-0-24885300-1357079623_thumb.jpg

post-265-0-82262800-1357079651_thumb.jpg

post-265-0-32151100-1357079707_thumb.jpg

post-265-0-38192300-1357079746_thumb.jpg

post-265-0-43655800-1357079784_thumb.jpg

post-265-0-17677800-1357079891_thumb.jpg

post-265-0-59211300-1357079913_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dobber

I was thinking about this. You could also make replacement thigh cover panels that have the missile pylon receptors on them... please?

That was one of the first things that came to mind, specially given how Yamato designed them to be removable. It would be the simplest of swaps to replace the hinged assemblies from the toy with RP ones with built in hard points to allow VF-0/VF-1 ordnance to be mounted between the nacelles.

Only if it mounts parallel. :p

(hey, that's a legitimate comment---Yamato seemed to have issues with that basic concept on more than one of their valks)

Did they? I thought that only happened with the VF-19, I'll have to have a look...

What I can tell you is that it's not just Yamato that have issues with that: have you seen the Bandai VF-171?

Did they? I thought that only happened with the VF-19, I'll have to have a look...

What I can tell you is that it's not just Yamato that have issues with that: have you seen the Bandai VF-171?

It also happens with the gunpod for the VF-11C. No amount of fiddling with arm positioning allows the the gunpod to be parallel. It just veers way off to the side. Doesn't with the 11B's gunpod because it attaches at two points which helps to keep it straight.

I haven't transformed my VF-171 in a while but I thought the gunpod mounted at two points.

You're right, it mounts at two points, but the gunpod is almost aimed at the nose cone anyway.

It also happens with the gunpod for the VF-11C. No amount of fiddling with arm positioning allows the the gunpod to be parallel. It just veers way off to the side. Doesn't with the 11B's gunpod because it attaches at two points which helps to keep it straight.

Oh, I don't own a VF-11C myself so I didn't know that. Now you mention it, didn't the old YF-19's gunpod veer to the side too?

You're right, it mounts at two points, but the gunpod is almost aimed at the nose cone anyway.

Oh, I don't own a VF-11C myself so I didn't know that. Now you mention it, didn't the old YF-19's gunpod veer to the side too?

The original run of the YF-19 did have the problem. By the time I bought it they had fixed that problem.

Would you guys be interested if I made a gun pod mount for the underside using Shapeways?

Don't forget I'll be making the alternate head unit :D

I also plan on making new 'removable thigh cover flaps' that will have a hard point attachment and main wings that incorporate hard points too - cause I don't wanna glue on the hardpoints ( http://www.shapeways.com/model/625101/set-of-12-6l-amp-6r-hard-points-for-1-60-wings.html?li=productBox-search ) I made onto a new VF-4.