DX VF-25 version 2

ff95gj

This is no joke. Probably worse than TF fans and GI Joe fans.

I'm surprised people are still talking about the wing thing. And yet, I go posting about it... MW must have some sort of STD that infects you when you log on. I hope one day they find a cure.

I'm sure if you told TF fans that MP-10 would be the *only* Optimus Prime mold they would see for the next ten years, they would be nit picky as well.

Please - if that were the case, let's talk about why macross fans are so picky on the VF-1, which is a much closer comparison as the "most recognizable" for the macross series as Optimus is for Transformers. How many VF-1s have been released in the last 10 years? Yet each is criticized in excrutiating detail for deviating even the slightest from line art. Macross-fans are a new breed of OCD. Just give me a toy that doesn't require a second mortgage, and won't break when its quantum state is revealed, and looks mostly like what we see on TV.

Don't get me wrong, I love Macross. I don't understand why if a toy deviates the slightest from line art it must therefore be crap. Price - not an issue. Quality - not an issue. Line art above all else. It's a bit insane, if you ask me.

Please - if that were the case, let's talk about why macross fans are so picky on the VF-1, which is a much closer comparison as the "most recognizable" for the macross series as Optimus is for Transformers. How many VF-1s have been released in the last 10 years? Yet each is criticized in excrutiating detail for deviating even the slightest from line art. Macross-fans are a new breed of OCD. Just give me a toy that doesn't require a second mortgage, and won't break when its quantum state is revealed, and looks mostly like what we see on TV.

Don't get me wrong, I love Macross. I don't understand why if a toy deviates the slightest from line art it must therefore be crap. Price - not an issue. Quality - not an issue. Line art above all else. It's a bit insane, if you ask me.

Okay, there's been 5 major releases. The MP and 1/60, then the 1/48, the 1/60 v2 and the hi-metal. There's been more than 5 optimus prime molds released JUST THIS YEAR. It's absurd to compare the two franchises.

When the 1/60 and MP came out, the last vf-1 toy had come out 20 years before. When the 1/48 came out there wasn't even a clue that a v.2 of the 1/60 would be released.

With TF and Joes, fans know that a new release is coming, two or three or more brand new molds every year. More if there's a new show or movie out. Same with Gundam. Macross fans don't get that. We get one show every couple of years, at best and at worst, it's a decade between shows.

As for cheaper toys, Bandai and Yamato tried that with the 1/100, hi-metal, GNU lines... they all failed. You want cheap toys, put your money where your mouth is and buy them when they come out.

I understand wanting perfection, or close to it, considering the amount of money being dropped on each Valk, with prices steadily rising every time a new one comes out. And maybe comparing Macross to a toy line that is comprised mostly of $10 figures wasn't fair, but sometimes MW is a killjoy. I think some people take collecting too seriously. I like toys. And at the end of the day, I buy toys to enjoy them and I like coming on here to talk shop and all, but sometimes it's like hanging out with my friend who is a film school graduate, where I can't enjoy any movie with him without him cutting a film to pieces, going through every little bit of minutia of the film. It's just tiresome and it drains any enjoyment I could have had. I mean, who cares if the Transformers movie had a crappy plot and no characterization? Sometimes I just want to see giant f****** robots doing bad karate, you know? I don't mean to step on anybody's toes, and maybe it's because I haven't been collecting Macross as some of the others on here, so I don't have the baggage, but I think these V2 toys look really amazing, and I don't really see the flaws people are pointing out. It looks like they really learned a lot from their first go at these.

Edited by pud333

I'm sure if you told TF fans that MP-10 would be the *only* Optimus Prime mold they would see for the next ten years, they would be nit picky as well.

LOL if you think some TF fans are not going ape-poo crazy nit picking scruitizing the MP-10 (mine should arrive Friday...booyah!!). That and the bitching about price (its damn high though but for us macross fans its in the comes with fastpacks from bandai or special weathering from yamato territory of $250) is incessant on the TF boards. Oh and it IS the only worthy new Optimus (G1 character) anyway in about 10 years. Pretty sure MP-01 is almost a decade old.

Back on topic. I can't wait for this new VF-25. I'm gonna get at least 3 this time around too. (F, S, and G hopefully super parts, tornado parts and heavy armor will be available)

Back on topic. I can't wait for this new VF-25. I'm gonna get at least 3 this time around too. (F, S, and G hopefully super parts, tornado parts and heavy armor will be available)

I will get all the hero valks for sure. Maybe not the additional super parts, since I'm not a huge fan of the designs and I think it takes away from the overal look of the planes. Maybe for Ozma I'll get the full armor for him, but that's about it I think. Maybe. :)

Integrated gun attachment, articulated hands, crotch thrust, gerwalk joints: solved

Loose joints: still potentially a problem

Minimal wing bend: don't care

That's where I stand on it I guess.

Honestly the lower fins sticking out the back of the battroid mode bothers me more than the wing thing. But neither very much.

Edited by aurance

#704 sums up my thoughts perfectly! I enjoy collecting, but with all the bitching about the v1 VF-25, you would have thought it was a piece of crap. I'm looking forward to the VF-25 v2, but I just never got the hate for Bandai, because the VF-25 wasn't "line accurate" like the yamatos are praised for. It was also quite a bit cheaper than most yamato releases and felt a lot sturdier (haven't kept up with this, mine seemed really stable).

What I like is that there are actually mounting holes on the bottom of the wings for missiles and such. Not that stupid clip system they offered with the web-exclusives for the previous versions. Hopefully Bandai includes some in the box!

Frankly it's not quite all that I hoped for but it appears to light years better than what they put out before and will defiantly be worth a purchase.

After all you can't be in this hobby and not be able to turn a blind eye "to the little things." :lol:

Eh, just assume the valk's flying in the atmosphere. Real wings curve up when they're lifting hard. Especially lately--the 787 and 747-8 have wings that bend up so much, that Boeing demands they have "enough upwards curve" before they'll license a model.

wingflex-diagram.jpg

Holleeee jeebus... as if I wasn't afraid enough to fly... gah.

What I like is that there are actually mounting holes on the bottom of the wings for missiles and such. Not that stupid clip system they offered with the web-exclusives for the previous versions. Hopefully Bandai includes some in the box!

Frankly it's not quite all that I hoped for but it appears to light years better than what they put out before and will defiantly be worth a purchase.

After all you can't be in this hobby and not be able to turn a blind eye "to the little things." :lol:

I really don't think those in-dents are going to actually hold missiles. I think they're just there for looks.

I really don't think those in-dents are going to actually hold missiles. I think they're just there for looks.

This. And they are actually the same the v.1s have, so no improvements there –unless there’s some sort of magnetic system, which I doubt.

My 2 cents on the wings... IF they do end up bent, yes I can live with it, but it will be disappointing because the whole point of the release was to get it right. Not "some things" right, but the whole thing. I already have a couple vf-25s' with bent wings accepting its flaws for what it is, and hoping for a v.2 that fixed all its problems. Ya we're world class complainers probably because nobody likes spending $150-300 on something we've been looking forward to all to have some stupid flaw like warped wings because the plastic didn't cool right..even if its ever so slight.

If this was the 1st release, I wouldn't care about the slight curve, because everything else is great....but its the second run, and should be criticised.

Edited by Negotiator

This is probably going to be as good a VF-25 as we're going to get, short of waiting a decade or two for Yamato to obtain the Frontier license. With the last movie come and gone, I doubt we're going to see a V3. :p

I've had my preorder since preorders opened and I'm looking forward to its release, despite the minor flaws, after the spectacularly crappy V1. I'm sure I'll be even more pleased once I have it in my hands, barring any major flaws like entire limbs breaking off.

If the most recent scans are of the final production version, I know I'll be doing my own touch-ups for the sake of anime accuracy, including repainting the ugly pilot figure, painting in cockpit details (like the ex-frame), painting the underside of the lerx, and painting the battroid's "mouth."

I see it's missing the SMS emblem on the front fuselage, though I'm sure that's just a goof, since it's present on the prototype, and is rather large detail to miss. :p

To be honest a few of my 1/60 V2 Yammie VF-1's also have wings that are curved up a little so it's not like this issue is limited to Bandai. Both my 1S TV Roy and 1A Anglebirds have slightly upturned wings.

One wing of my Max 1A TV too. Not that I'm complaining.It did look annoying when it was new and I kept noticing it, but now I don't even bother.

WTF...the two 1/60 V2 Roy 1S's that I had didn't have bent up wings, you guys got screwed. No Yamato that I've ever owned had that problem, either.

-Kyp

One wing of my Max 1A TV too. Not that I'm complaining.

It did look annoying when it was new and I kept noticing it, but now I don't even bother.

First time I hear this from a VF-1 ver2. I have all the releases and none has this issue.

th_160v21AMaxtv70.jpg

Here you go. I'm not sure if I just took the photo off-angled, but I'm pretty sure the VF's right wing is a little off higher by a very, very tiny bit.

Like I said, I barely notice it and I find it negligible.

Edited by kamadoma

th_160v21AMaxtv70.jpg

Here you go. I'm not sure if I just took the photo off-angled, but I'm pretty sure the VF's right wing is a little off higher by a very, very tiny bit.

Like I said, I barely notice it and I find it negligible.

OMG! I think something really wrong is going on with me! No matter how hard I try, I can’t see the difference! Time to visit an ophthalmologist… :p

WTF...the two 1/60 V2 Roy 1S's that I had didn't have bent up wings, you guys got screwed. No Yamato that I've ever owned had that problem, either.

-Kyp

Well, I don't think I'm screwed by that.

It's something I don't attention to and I'm fully content with mine.

I don't think it's even an issue.

Anyway, I'll rest my case with my VF-1's wing. :lol:

Edited by kamadoma

Buy the bandai hi metal vf-1.

Expensive for its size but it feels very solid. Not all features are perfect transformable but it makes up for that by looking accurate enough and still having details (like the inside cockpit area) and on top of that it is quite posable too.

MWB is always fussing about small detais but you see worse in videogame boards comparing graphics from one videogame console against the other. (we call these the console wars)

Dear 1/1 LowViz Lurker, I notice that you have praised the Bandai Hi-metal for many many times. Here is what happen to me:

I happened to have bought a Hi-metal VF-1S and it's ankle joint is loose as hell and one of the fore nozzle keep falling off and plus, both of the knee caps are left side so the right knee always has a gap even in fighter mode.

I have one Yamato 1/60 VF-1 V.2 with broken shoulder joint out of the box. other then that all the other 1/60 VF-1 V.2 have great Q.C.

Over Here most of the 1/60 V.2 are sold at about 60% more expensive then the Hi-metal VF-1S and I think the different is more then justified as the Yamato ones are a lot more superior then the Bandai one in many ways.

and the 3 VF-1As are all web exclusive, making them more expensive then the 1/60s of the same design and the super parts are all web exclusive, this is sheer insane!

Edited by alchemo

Sorry for getting off topic,

I just want to point out that the Hi-metal series is just an OK series, aesthetically and price-wise. and it is not in any way better then Yamato's 1/60s V.2.

I agree.

Besides the shoulder problem, I would deem the Yamato 1/60 VF-1 perfect presentation of the valk.

Hi-Metal is an OK product, but it stands along with the 1/48 in terms of its look (and the 1/60 is an improved generation over it). But personally I love the 1/48 much better for its big size.

The conversation seems to have gone off course. Preference on vf-1 toys doesn't mean much for the vf-25 since you will now have two options, neither of which are yamato made. Sure, you have much smaller options in the vf100 an robot spirits lines but comparing those to the dx offerings is like expecting the 1/100 hi metal vf toys to be better than the 1/60 toys in every way. The new vf-25 looks very good but the design looks very similar to yf-29 so if you're deathly afraid of loose joints and not willing to tighten them up should they occur then you might wantto steer clear and wAit for the abundance od reviews that will come out. If you miss out on msrp priced toys you might be lucky and pick up a bundle release down the road.

Dear 1/1 LowViz Lurker, I notice that you have praised the Bandai Hi-metal for many many times. Here is what happen to me:

I happened to have bought a Hi-metal VF-1S and it's ankle joint is loose as hell and one of the fore nozzle keep falling off and plus, both of the knee caps are left side so the right knee always has a gap even in fighter mode.

I have one Yamato 1/60 VF-1 V.2 with broken shoulder joint out of the box. other then that all the other 1/60 VF-1 V.2 have great Q.C.

Over Here most of the 1/60 V.2 are sold at about 60% more expensive then the Hi-metal VF-1S and I think the different is more then justified as the Yamato ones are a lot more superior then the Bandai one in many ways.

and the 3 VF-1As are all web exclusive, making them more expensive then the 1/60s of the same design and the super parts are all web exclusive, this is sheer insane!

My nozzles are fine. Possibly in a later release bandai could go with the transformable revoltech style of nozzle. I own one of those too for robot mode. Before people bash the perfect transformaton revoltech because they think it is ugly in other modes (lol) realise that the clicky joint in the feet are one of the awesome things about it.

When I think of the himetal I think of how this is what yamato could have done when they had the macross zero license since the transformation of the vf-0 is less complex than a vf-1 and the smaller size and cheaper price (at 1/100 scale) means they could probably do ALL the valks. Originally before we got 1/60 vf-0 toys they were going to do part swapping 1/100. Now with bandai himetal I often wonder if yamato could re-release vf-0 toys but instead of part swapping at 1/100, see if they can pull off 1/100 perfect transformation vf-0 toys instead. Not only would it be more affordable (smaller and cheaper, smaller shipping boxes) but it would probably be more "posable and fun" as a little action figure.

Now you could argue that 1/100 is too small to make complex transforming toys but the vf-0 is larger than vf-1, AND less complex in transformation. So if yamato wanted to do ALL the vf-0 variants (face it we are not getting the reactive armor or vf-0D) cheap, they could borrow everything that bandai has achieved on 1/100 vf-1 and just make VF-0

with the advantage that vf-0 is larger than a vf-1 so it wouldn't be harder than making vf-1 at 1/100.

Don't worry about sv-51 at 1/100. Just do all vf-0 at 1/100. Have the ghost booster and reactive armor and all the variants of the vf-0 in this line. They could do that while waiting for a chance to do their own vf-25 10 years from now haha