DX VF-25 version 2

ff95gj

Yeah, it looks like they clip into place via a peg hole, and I'm not liking the fan intake detail either, it's rather bland looking. I think I'm going to be keeping those intake covers on mine. Other than that, it looks fantastic, the way it should have looked the first time around.

Now, who will be the first to take a GM02 Gundam Marker and panel line theirs? :p

I like how Yamato takes the extra step of painting the intake fans in most cases and the fans appear sharply detailed in comparison to Bandai's. The one on the YF-29 is unpainted as well and the molding of the fan blades is just barely there. The way they made it, it looks far worse than the molded in shoulder and leg missiles. Overall, it looks like poop so I leave the covers on mine too. Personally, I wish they would just leave out the fan altogether and just make it a black painted section behind the intake cover like they did with the VF-27.

I won't be using a Gundam Marker to panel line mine (I find it's too dark and the lines too thick for my tastes), but I'll certainly panel line it and probably also do some light weathering when I get it.

Looking very nice, what about VF-25G & CF Bandai ?

VF-25G most likely after Ozma's, probably around April next year or so. As for a CF, if they make one at all, it will be the after the RVF-25 comes out around July. I'd say around October next year, all these release months I'm talking about are based on them taking 3 months to come out with Ozma's after Alto's release.

I like how Yamato takes the extra step of painting the intake fans in most cases and the fans appear sharply detailed in comparison to Bandai's. The one on the YF-29 is unpainted as well and the molding of the fan blades is just barely there. The way they made it, it looks far worse than the molded in shoulder and leg missiles. Overall, it looks like poop so I leave the covers on mine too. Personally, I wish they would just leave out the fan altogether and just make it a black painted section behind the intake cover like they did with the VF-27.I won't be using a Gundam Marker to panel line mine (I find it's too dark and the lines too thick for my tastes), but I'll certainly panel line it and probably also do some light weathering when I get it.

I'm going to wait and see if someone else uses a Gundam marker on theirs first to see how it looks before doing mine, lol.

-Kyp

Edited by Kyp Durron

Glad I actually got a preorder in.. but I have to point out one thing about those pictures...

Is Bandai just completely inept at making plastic FLAT? Why the hell are the wings curled up AGAIN????? They're not as bad as the first run obviously, but it's very clear those wings are anything but level.

Someone at Bandai needs to be slapped upside the head with a book on how plastic behaves when it cools, because it seems like they don't have a clue. <_<

Glad I actually got a preorder in.. but I have to point out one thing about those pictures...

Is Bandai just completely inept at making plastic FLAT? Why the hell are the wings curled up AGAIN????? They're not as bad as the first run obviously, but it's very clear those wings are anything but level.

Someone at Bandai needs to be slapped upside the head with a book on how plastic behaves when it cools, because it seems like they don't have a clue. <_<

I noticed that too, but chalked it up to it being a scan from a magazine and thought the curl of the page made the wings looked curved up. Maybe I just didn't want to believe they would make the same mistake again.

I noticed that too, but chalked it up to it being a scan from a magazine and thought the curl of the page made the wings looked curved up. Maybe I just didn't want to believe they would make the same mistake again.

Same here, but those wings are actually curled up <_<

I was able to curl my v.1’s wings down carefully applying heat and pressure up to an acceptable point where the wings were straight but still pointing up due to the defective locking position of the wing gloves. Now I’m discarding those wings for my v.1 is a toy I bought for modification into an YF-24 anyway :p

Eh, just assume the valk's flying in the atmosphere. Real wings curve up when they're lifting hard. Especially lately--the 787 and 747-8 have wings that bend up so much, that Boeing demands they have "enough upwards curve" before they'll license a model.

wingflex-diagram.jpg

Eh, just assume the valk's flying in the atmosphere. Real wings curve up when they're lifting hard. Especially lately--the 787 and 747-8 have wings that bend up so much, that Boeing demands they have "enough upwards curve" before they'll license a model.

snip

after seeing that, people might start complaining that Yamato valks don't have curved up wings. :blink:

Edited by m0n5t3r

Yes, but when's the last time you saw a fighter jet's wings flex like that?

My thoughts exactly.

That having been said, it's not too big of a deal as I'm pretty sure I can get the wings straight. But Bandai still should've known better by this point, the 1/72 model kits weren't like that, and neither was the 1/100 Alto that was released. There's really no excuse for it.

Hopefully, what we're seeing is just the final prototype and they will have that corrected on the actual product.

-Kyp

Ah, but when's the last time you saw a fighter jet with long skinny wings? A VF-25 has wings much more like an airliner in shape, than an F-15.

It's actually one of the key compromises for high vs low altitude ride/stability/agility. Note that bomber-striker planes tend to have longer skinnier wings (Su-24, F-111, B-1B, Tornado) while fighters have broader, stubbier wings (any delta, F-15, F-16).

This affects how "influenced" the wing is by gusts and its load response. (and how "rough the ride is" on pilots).

On a low-alt, high-speed bombing run, the longer wings are smoother and more stable--good for bombing! Not so good for dogfighting.

One of the few planes similar to a VF-25 (swing wings WITH multiple hardpoints), would be an F-111. And look at an F-111's wings when its pulling hard---they curve up:

F-111flex.jpg (I think photobucket's messed up at the moment, don't be surprised if pic doesn't show)

True, not severely, but the point is that unlike an F-15, a plane with long skinny wings will have notable upwards curve when it's actually stressing them.

@David Hingtgen

I always appreciate your immense knowledge about planes and I totally agree about the facts that you mentioned.

BUT

The problem is that I don't think Bandai has the same delicate reasoning like yours about curling up wings when it comes to producing plastic toys.

Edited by charger69

@David Hingtgen

I always appreciate your immense knowledge about planes and I totally agree about the facts that you mentioned.

BUT

The problem is that I don't think Bandai has the same delicate reasoning like yours about curling up wings when it comes to producing plastic toys.

It also didn't appear like that in the animation either.

Honestly, not sure how anyone is drawing conclusions on this whole "wing" issue from one or two magazine photos. But even if the wings do curl or bend or whatever ever so slightly is it really that big of a deal?

Sometimes you guys take scrutinizing these items (be it from Company Y or B) to a whole new level. :wacko:

-b.

It also didn't appear like that in the animation either.

I don't think the CGI model took into account aerodynamic effects on structure. (and most of the time, there was no atmosphere) Even big-budget movies don't model this aspect and it's a key reason CG planes tend to be more obviously "fake" than CG cars or ships.

Honestly, not sure how anyone is drawing conclusions on this whole "wing" issue from one or two magazine photos. But even if the wings do curl or bend or whatever ever so slightly is it really that big of a deal?

Sometimes you guys take scrutinizing these items (be it from Company Y or B) to a whole new level. :wacko:

-b.

Agreed. :mellow:

^^As great as the aerospace analysis above is, I think we are all forgetting a very crucial element to this theory:

The VF-25 is primarily a SPACE fighter. And no amount of tight banking will get the wings to curl, simple because there are no frictional forces

such as air in space to instigate such bends in the wings of a fighter jet. Sure, for the 2 episodes that the VF-25 was in the atmosphere,

this theory is definetely awesome, and does make sense...kinda....

But in all retrospect, I think we all want straight wings anyways, regardless of theory :rolleyes:

Edited by Archer

Ah, but when's the last time you saw a fighter jet with long skinny wings? A VF-25 has wings much more like an airliner in shape, than an F-15.

F-111flex.jpg (I think photobucket's messed up at the moment, don't be surprised if pic doesn't show)

I was already thinking about the F-111 when I clicked "add reply"...

I don't think you were seriously "defending" Bandai for the curved wing, but more like a tongue-in-cheek.

-b.

This isn't a new level. This is an old level. We had this discussion when the 1/60 yf-19 came out.

there's nothing new under the sun. ^_^

Yes, we are the best over the net th_thumbs_up_smiley.gif

This is no joke. Probably worse than TF fans and GI Joe fans.

I'm surprised people are still talking about the wing thing. And yet, I go posting about it... MW must have some sort of STD that infects you when you log on. I hope one day they find a cure.