8 hours ago, Robin-11 said:

After rewatching this clip i have a question for the experts of the forum. Before the dogfight starts the enemy pilot does some sign with his hands, some sort of code to comunicate among planes while up in the air, i guess. Maverick is not able to understand a single sign of it. Does this mean that there are different codes for each nation/continent/organization? For example, Europe has one, that is different from the one Russia has, or Nato has one that is different from the one all the other  nations who are not part of the organization uses etc. I thought it was like an universal language...

I don't know myself, but I've seen several pilot reaction vids to this movie, and most of the pilots reacting to it know what the hand signals mean.

22 hours ago, Thom said:

I don't know myself, but I've seen several pilot reaction vids to this movie, and most of the pilots reacting to it know what the hand signals mean.

Thanks, It seemed an odd moment since the first time i saw it. It's weird that such an important detail is left so ambiguos. 

Honestly, it never really felt out of place to me?  If they were trying to do a hand-signal based IFF confirmation, that's not something that would be universal, and would probably be kept guarded.  

I don't know if they were using universal hand signals or not, but if they suspected the plane was stolen, they probably would have been signaling for a confirmation signal before any other communication.

• 1 month later...

A new thread can be made when a trailer drops. This news sounds like a “Maybe-maybe-maybe” idea. No script, no cast, just a thought floating on the interwebs.

Tom should actually take a hint here, put Top Gun on hiatus for another 20 years, and then come back, sure, he'll be 80, but this way he won't screw up the legacy that he has built up with some of his more iconic movies.

What's next, "A Few Good Men, part 2"  but no Demi, no Nick, no Kifer...  This time, Caffey is actually sitting on the bench.

21 minutes ago, kalvasflam said:

put Top Gun on hiatus for another 20 years, and then come back, sure, he'll be 80, but this way he won't screw up the legacy that he has built up with some of his more iconic movies.

Like that thinking worked for Harrison Ford and Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny.

Tom Cruise sequels has typically tended to be successful, although in reality, he has had only one franchise, and his other effort hasn't been.  But you have my point, he shouldn't do it.

Ford has been very unsuccessful with his Jones sequels, and he has had two of those that were just horrid.

The hand of the mouse reaches far.

15 hours ago, renegadeleader1 said:

Like that thinking worked for Harrison Ford and Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny.

12 hours ago, CoryHolmes said:

Exactly my worries.  Top Gun Maverick was the anomaly as far as these reboots of old properties go.

The glaring difference between TGM and DoD is that the former honored the legacy character and introduced new ones without elevating them at his expense in a mostly well structured story, while the latter went out of its way to diminish, humiliate, deconstruct the titular character in order to foist a new, and wholly grating and unlikable, self-insert "protagonist" at the very intentional expense of Indi (the 3rd time Ford willfully participated in the corruption of one of his iconic roles) in a mess of an incoherent patchwork film that clearly went through several reshoots and reedits that attempted to (unsuccessfully) salvage a turd.  While respecting the past may not guarantee success, disrespecting it, especially when it comes across as mean spirited and gratuitous, almost always guarantees failure.

On 1/12/2024 at 10:25 AM, Thom said:

Where else can they take it though? Unless they turn it into 'Maverick: Mission Impossible!'

Maverick finally being okay with passing the torch and being a leader to the next generation. He kind of started going down this path by being the instructer in TG2, but in the end he reverted back to being just an ace pilot.

I don't think Tom Cruise would allow that though as he tends to always be the main action hero, not playing 2nd or 3rd string.

I defiantly would like to see Maverick's studemts returning. Hangman, Rooster, Pheonix, and Bob were great!

Top gun 3: A giant spaceship crashes on an island in the pacific ocean. Maverick is chosen to be one of the pilots to explore it and there he and his team finds out incredible secrets. You know the rest. Jokes aside, i don't know about the plot but in a third chapter i would like to see  more dofighting and less ground to air combat(and viceversa)

7 hours ago, Robin-11 said:

(...) i don't know about the plot but in a third chapter i would like to see  more dofighting and less ground to air combat(and viceversa)

A decade or so ago, there was a pilot on a Discovery show that said something along the lines of: modern air combat is firing missiles at beyond visual range and then bravely retreating.  Due to that, I don't think that the ground-to-air/air-to-ground combat will disappear from these kinds of movies.  For starters, seeing ground scenery rushing by not only gives the viewer a sense of how the jets are spatially moving, it's also a lot more exiting than planes looping in blue sky!

Nevertheless, I agree with your sentiments about more air to air combat—the writers just have to come up with a good reason to send the ace pilot(s) into aerial combat after finishing air combat school!

I'm waiting for Top Gun 4, Weather Balloons! To be fair, that was air-to air.😜

As for movies with air to air, I think we're only going to see more like that if one side or the other has been massively Worfed. The current shoot over the horizon is as much about killing the enemy first as it is about saving your own pilots from needless gunfights, and it's not all that theatrical - unless they are aliens. I think we're more likely to see period pieces, set in either World War or Korea/Vietnam, especially for more realistic scenarios.

13 hours ago, sketchley said:

A decade or so ago, there was a pilot on a Discovery show that said something along the lines of: modern air combat is firing missiles at beyond visual range and then bravely retreating. 

Before that it was generally shooting down some poor slob that did not see you and then bravely running away.  Dogfighting is what happens when things go wrong.  (Which granted, happens a bunch but most aces throughout history were good at choosing a target and getting an early advantage - if they could not they hit the road to come back another day)

8 hours ago, Thom said:

I'm waiting for Top Gun 4, Weather Balloons! To be fair, that was air-to air.😜

As for movies with air to air, I think we're only going to see more like that if one side or the other has been massively Worfed. The current shoot over the horizon is as much about killing the enemy first as it is about saving your own pilots from needless gunfights, and it's not all that theatrical - unless they are aliens. I think we're more likely to see period pieces, set in either World War or Korea/Vietnam, especially for more realistic scenarios.

So a prequel about Maverick’s grandpa 

6 hours ago, Big s said:

They could have an awkward scene at the end where he looks more like Les Grossman giving maverick a talking to 

Ha Ha, I love Les Grossman! Just imagine that scene! Bring it.

Edited by Thom

They could always make TGIII into a prequel. Cruise can play Pete Mitchell's dad and explore his Phantom exploits with Viper over Vietnam and his final, heroic mission. The final scene of the movie could show the brand-spanking new F-14s being delivered to the navy. Epic win.

Edited by captain america

1 hour ago, captain america said:

They could always make TGIII into a prequel. Cruise can play Pete Mitchell's dad and explore his Phantom exploits with Viper over Vietnam and his final, heroic mission. The final scene of the movie could show the brand-spanking new F-14s being delivered to the navy. Epic win.

And they can always de-age for younger Mav.

I'm good with some more TOP GUN but if I have to be honest when it comes to seeing more Air-to-Air combat, honestly, I'd love to see a serious (No Michael Bay crap) live action of the 1980's OVA AREA 88... but that's just me. 

22 hours ago, captain america said:

I think that's the popular demand that TG fans are wanting these days.  Who knows, they [creators] might run with that, but then again, when have movie makers take fan demands to heart?  (Star Trek maybe, but that was a massive effort decades before the net and social media.  Today, someone's efforts would have to be ten times more.)

Edited by USMCBebop

On 1/13/2024 at 12:37 AM, kalvasflam said:

Tom Cruise sequels has typically tended to be successful, although in reality, he has had only one franchise, and his other effort hasn't been.  But you have my point, he shouldn't do it.

Ford has been very unsuccessful with his Jones sequels, and he has had two of those that were just horrid.

The hand of the mouse reaches far.

Exactly.  There comes a time when enough is definitely enough.  

I love Indiana Jones, but the last two movies were proof that it should have been left alone decades earlier.

2 hours ago, Thom said:

Not 'left alone' but treated better. I enjoyed both recent movies as pop-corn flicks. All they needed was better stories, or just better translations of those stories to the screen.

Crystal Skull wasn't bad, and I'm currently watching Dial of Destiny (and enjoying it).  But enough definitely becomes enough for any series character.

• 1 month later...
On 1/16/2024 at 9:17 AM, USMCBebop said:

Crystal Skull wasn't bad, and I'm currently watching Dial of Destiny (and enjoying it).  But enough definitely becomes enough for any series character.

I will always applaud Crystal Skull for embracing Ford's aging and writing it into the character and story.