Ride Armors, Legioss and Treads! Oh my!

EXO

Now if only they would make a Legioss & Tread set with an Aoshima QC Legioss.

You mean a Legioss & Tread set with the Tread's QC? Because Aoshima's Legioss QC seems to have been pretty d4mn bad.

Funny how so many people diss Toynami's QC, but then a Japanese company did far, far worse with exactly the same tooling set. There's certainly some irony there.

The rule, I think, is that these super-complex, short-run toys are a potential nightmare for anyone undertaking them.

Edited by AcroRay

You mean a Legioss & Tread set with the Tread's QC? Because Aoshima's Legioss QC seems to have been pretty d4mn bad.

Funny how so many people diss Toynami's QC, but then a Japanese company did far, far worse with exactly the same tooling set. There's certainly some irony there.

The irony only grows because people are now praising toynami's beta and yet Aoshima was in charge of the design and qc.

Someone make a good modern legioss. Pretty please. Sculpt and durability,

The irony only grows because people are now praising toynami's beta and yet Aoshima was in charge of the design and qc.

Also, there's one other small detail. I know we're collectors here and all, and adults... but let's face it, the Legioss just isn't fun to transform. The Tread is. A $10 Transformers Animated toy is fun. The $60 Legioss, while cool, just isn't fun.

Also, there's one other small detail. I know we're collectors here and all, and adults... but let's face it, the Legioss just isn't fun to transform. The Tread is. A $10 Transformers Animated toy is fun. The $60 Legioss, while cool, just isn't fun.

The old 1/35 Gakken is fun to transform. We just need a company to make an updated 1/35 and we'll all have that Legioss toy we're clamoring for. If they want to make a huge 1/35 Tread too so much the better!

Yes, I'm aware this isn't going to happen.

The old 1/35 Gakken is fun to transform. We just need a company to make an updated 1/35 and we'll all have that Legioss toy we're clamoring for. If they want to make a huge 1/35 Tread too so much the better!

Yes, I'm aware this isn't going to happen.

Wishful thinking man. Who knows though it looks like were getting the ultimate ride armor, so maybe one awesome company will smile and say lets do an ultra detailed huge legioss. One day.

Yes, please. CM's an Toynami engineered disappointing Legioss toys. Both look great to me(I have Zetas from both companies), but quality wise, both companies turned out way better Treads/Betas than Legioss/Alphas.

The $60 Legioss, while cool, just isn't fun.

Would be if it was engineered better.

Make it 1/32 and be done with it. Fits in with a popular model aircraft scale, and would be the biggest Legioss ever made.

Yeah, I mean good QC. I suspect Aoshima wasn't "in charge" of the QC on their Legioss in the same way as on their Tread.

But if my suspicion is right, it all makes sense. Then again, things rarely make sense.

If I was to remake the Alpha or the Legioss, there's a few things I would do to improve the build.

If at all possible, I would try to stay with the general look and sculpt of the Toynami/Imai version, but improve the following:

1) Get rid of the die-cast in the arms; it weighs them down unnecessarily.

2) Find a way to make the shoulders/missile launchers rachet-jointed. Anyone that's handled an Alpha knows how frustrating the Floppy Arm Syndrome can get.

3) Redesign the hands, and make them out of much more solid material (POM perhaps?).

4) Either ratchet-joint the hips, or make the design similar to the hips on the Yamato 1/60 YF-21. The Alpha/Legioss has practically the same transformation sequence as the YF-21 in that hip joint area.

5) Try to make the landing gears just a little bit longer. It's shameful that there's so little clearance between the ground and the Alpha/Legioss chest.

6) Either try to make the design tolerances a little more forgiving to get a nice and tight fit in fighter mode. Or up the bloody hell out of the quality control.

The last one will probably be the hardest, but it's probably the one that's most responsible for a lot of the problems. The Toynami/Imai Alpha is a fairly complex design. And one screw-up at the factory can lead to a crooked or improper fit at the head, arms that can't open because they were glued shut, a torso that keeps collapsing in battloid because someone didn't glue it properly, weak hip joints that allow the whole upper body's weight to flop over if the legs are positioned too far to the front or back, ugly gaps in the fighter mode because some part won't collapse properly, and a host of other mild to downright massive flaws.

Aoshima should package their Tread with a Legioss that has improved QC. It would cost more, but I'm sure collectors wouldn't mind buying the set. Saves them the trouble of having to take a chance on finding a standalone Legioss with good QC. Even if Aoshima were to reisssue the standalone Legioss with better QC, they might just use the same packaging without any indication that it is an improved reissue (as most of these companies do nowadays).

For those of us who want a Gakken-styled "Playable" Legioss (And please note I'm one of those. I love 'em with brute, Takatoku-like playability!) to add to our collections, I'm wondering if the best option would simply be to just save up the cash and buy a minty vintage one - or be satisfied with whatever vintage ones you've already got.

They didn't look too bad, I think, and could certainly take a playtime pounding within reason. And considering the modern-day cost of manufacturing something like that for an interest group as limited as the Mospeada/RT:NG, you'd probably be paying as much or more for a newly-manufactures one as you would for a like-new vintage example anyway.

post-8951-1230391609_thumb.jpg

Not to beat the shoulder missile thing to death but what bugged me was it didn't look like they had any reason to skip these. They took the time to put Alpha fore-arm missiles in you can't even see but leave out what would seem to be big square bays on the beta. (again- $150 in this economy)

Does anyone know what that top yellow/orange rack is supposed to be? Is it a sensor array? I believe the RPG and other places say its missiles. The Japanese is right there in the art if someone can translate.

Anyhow - it must not bug me that much cuz I already pre-ordered the red version . . .

For those of us who want a Gakken-styled "Playable" Legioss (And please note I'm one of those. I love 'em with brute, Takatoku-like playability!) to add to our collections, I'm wondering if the best option would simply be to just save up the cash and buy a minty vintage one - or be satisfied with whatever vintage ones you've already got.

I was wondering the same thing too ... just save, then try to find a minty 1/35 old school Gakken ...

Does anyone know what that top yellow/orange rack is supposed to be? Is it a sensor array? I believe the RPG and other places say its missiles. The Japanese is right there in the art if someone can translate.

"Laser Bomb" launcher, according to the Japanese line art notes, according to Roger (Who I would trust with my life! But not with my wife...)

Can't wait any more for my Beagle Ride Armor!!!

I hope Overdrive gets they order in by the 15th like they said in their newsletter :wacko:

It', my most anticipated toy!!!

I have never been this excited about a toy ever. The Beagle looks like it will be everything the ride armor was supposed to be. I can't wait for the reviews!

Yeah, it feels like it's been years :rolleyes:

So in theory it should leave the warehouses in about 16 hours, arriving at the distributors around end of day - about 24 hours away. Then distributors (like Overdrive) should start shipping to us next business day (Friday)... So around Monday they should start arriving to customers overseas :)

Japanese folk will start receiving theirs tomorrow I guess... B))

I have never been this excited about a toy ever. The Beagle looks like it will be everything the ride armor was supposed to be. I can't wait for the reviews!

It just looks so amazing in every mode I can't believe it. They hit nearly every mode so spot on in proportions its nuts. And they seem to be using a good mix of materials (Yamato-class or better, lots of ABS and POM). So I guess the real question is, hows the QC going to be? That will be make or break. If it's got perfect QC, then it definitely will be worth the ~$250 they're asking for it.

I just can't get over how perfect it looks in bike mode. Finally, a modern Ride Armor toy that doesn't look like some guy riding a Mini-Bike! Finally a modern Ride Armor toy that can lean like in the artwork! MOSPEADA gods be praised! They have truly smiled upon us this day.

Vostok 7

Finally yesterday I got my beta and my second blue alpha. I'm happy as a kid (despite that customs killed me with another 85 bucks), and apparently I was very lucky with the alpha regarding qc. The idea is to have my old alpha (little breakages here and there) permanently displayed in fighter mode, and the new one permanently in battloid mode, to give them the chance to survive without disintegrating in my hands.

Anyway, while reviewing the alpha's booklet I found an error in the transformation instructions. Don't know if this was already reported. See the attached file; the hip joint position marked as "fighter mode" should be labeled "battloid & guardian mode", and viceversa. If you follow the instructions as they are, you won't be able to collapse the mid-torso section, and probably your fighter will end with the famous "banana shape" syndrome.

Hope this helps.

post-8951-1231988114_thumb.png

Finally yesterday I got my beta and my second blue alpha. I'm happy as a kid (despite that customs killed me with another 85 bucks), and apparently I was very lucky with the alpha regarding qc. The idea is to have my old alpha (little breakages here and there) permanently displayed in fighter mode, and the new one permanently in battloid mode, to give them the chance to survive without disintegrating in my hands.

Anyway, while reviewing the alpha's booklet I found an error in the transformation instructions. Don't know if this was already reported. See the attached file; the hip joint position marked as "fighter mode" should be labeled "battloid & guardian mode", and viceversa. If you follow the instructions as they are, you won't be able to collapse the mid-torso section, and probably your fighter will end with the famous "banana shape" syndrome.

Hope this helps.

Hmm. I should read the instruction booklet one-day. I had no idea the legs shifted postion at the hips. You could be right about correcting the "banana" syndrome in fighter mode.

Thanks for the tip.

no where have a seen a pic of the ride armours arms actually posed up high-ish, kinda like they are limited to being pointed downwards all th time? or can they raise up enough to do say, eye level gun posing shots?

Hope this helps.

How did you get your hands on a blue alpha?

So the Beagle is out today?

Probably won't have time to go get one till at least next Friday. I'm guessing that they will probably be sold out over here by then.

When will the Ray be coming out. February or March?

Edited by Alex