Bandai/Tamashi Nations 1/100 lineup. 2009 takeoff!

UN Spacy

I'm getting 2 as well. One for battroid mode and one for fighter mode. This way, I won't have to bother with constant parts-forming.

Don't forget to get a third for Gerwalk and a fourth for Fighter with the landing gear down.

I like the 1/100 scale as much as the next guy, but Toynami's VF-1 is as far as I go when it comes to part swapping. If Bandai ever releases the VF-2ss I'll have no choice but to to get a whole wing of them. In this case, if I was so fond of the 25, I'd get the DX instead. It looks the same and at least that one is PT.

Okay.

I've decided the parts swapping is a bit much for me.

These figs just aren't worth it for me.

Are there going to be properly transforming figs in this size range?

Not likely. It's probably near impossible to make perfect transformation in this scale unless you're willing to accept serious compromises to the scupt or build quality.

I don't mind simplified/cheaty transformation, and I disagree. Studio Half Eye does a lot of stuff smaller. I guess it's pretty fragile but 1/100 Macross is a little larger than those.

There needs to be Macross figures similar to deluxe Henkei Transformers. I'd buy a Valk of a similar quality to Henkei screamer, though preferably a little better as Screamer is one of the more simple ones.

Edited by Queen Kittan

I don't mind simplified/cheaty transformation, and I disagree. Studio Half Eye does a lot of stuff smaller. I guess it's pretty fragile but 1/100 Macross is a little larger than those.

Yeah, but have you noticed the price on Studio Halfeye products? You wanna pay double or triple the current price? And IIRC, SHE toys aren't exactly the sturdiest things.

There needs to be Macross figures similar to deluxe Henkei Transformers. I'd buy a Valk of a similar quality to Henkei screamer, though preferably a little better as Screamer is one of the more simple ones.

You mean like this toy?

That's more of a Banpresto cranegame prize/gashapon territory. It could happen.

Edited by Vifam7

I don't remember the details of Macross II valkyries, but I found this floating around on the sea known as the internet. Is this a VF-2 valkyrie II or something that just looks similar? Because it's kind of what I remember the valkyries looking like in Macross II.

2urrrrk.jpg

Did someone have a good explanation for why (seeing as these ARE parts-formers) the hip placement is STILL wrong?

Well it certainly seems like they were purposefully designed that way, so perhaps Bandai does not think of it as wrong. If you look at the Gundams, their leg-torso seems grow with each year. Apparently long legs are more attractive (abcnews), but by now Bandai has clearly overshot this ratio.

Either that or they had orders not to deviate from the 1/60 DX too much.

Well it certainly seems like they were purposefully designed that way, so perhaps Bandai does not think of it as wrong. If you look at the Gundams, their leg-torso seems grow with each year. Apparently long legs are more attractive (abcnews), but by now Bandai has clearly overshot this ratio.

Either that or they had orders not to deviate from the 1/60 DX too much.

But if it's not anime-accurate, why would they do it like that? I doubt there's some design issue that prevents the legs from attaching lower. Makes these Valks look even more buglike than they already do with an abdomen-like attachment or like they're prairie-doggin' it. :lol:

But if it's not anime-accurate, why would they do it like that? I doubt there's some design issue that prevents the legs from attaching lower. Makes these Valks look even more buglike than they already do with an abdomen-like attachment or like they're prairie-doggin' it. :lol:

This design is clearly an artistic choice. They had no restrictions since they are using part swapping. So, indeed why? Perhaps Kawamori had a change of heart? Perhaps he prefers the valk with a short torso and long legs? We can only guess.

edit:

I thought this might be interesting. It shows that the CG model is already an interpretation (for obvious reasons) of the sketch. The designer originally had something chunkier in mind... Oh no, not chunky! ^_^

VF-25_Sketch_1.jpg

Sketch from Dengeki.

Edited by SDF-ONE

Did SK himself draw that sketch? I ask because I've seen him do better, and doubt it actually came from him. Might be a fan-drawing.

In any case that sketch makes me appreciate the chunky (1/60 VF-25) much more! That is one awesome, awesome sketch!! Great find!

This design is clearly an artistic choice. They had no restrictions since they are using part swapping. So, indeed why?

The more I look at this toy, I think it's because the designers wanted the legs to be able to splay outwards into the Y-stance. I think if you bring the legs to crotch connection point lower, the crotch piece and intakes area get in each others way when trying to do that stance. Perhaps this is one area where there is still some anime magic to overcome.

Edited by Vifam7

Did SK himself draw that sketch? I ask because I've seen him do better, and doubt it actually came from him. Might be a fan-drawing.

In any case that sketch makes me appreciate the chunky (1/60 VF-25) much more! That is one awesome, awesome sketch!! Great find!

Looks like a SK sketch to me. Definitely not a fanart since Satelight copyright notice is seen in the Dengeki site article.

Edited by Vifam7

I think it is a Kawamori sketch, it is very similar to his sketches from Macross 7 on up.