Bandai/Tamashi Nations 1/100 lineup. 2009 takeoff!

UN Spacy

they were thinking, "hey, how are we supposed to fit folding landing gear in that small a bay"

It is possible. The DX team are just lazy.

In the new December 08 issue of Dengeki Hobby magazine, there is an article on a Bandai 1/72 scale VF-25S kit that has been customised so that it does have full size, working folding landing gear.

It's also been customised so that it has several small pegs to hold it together better in fighter mode and a gunpod that can attach to the fighter without the use of the connecting piece.

This shows it is possible to have a VF-25 with full size, nice looking landing gear.

Graham

Overall still looking better than the 1/60 as this 1/100 has more VF-25 essence in it, despite the smaller size and less detail. A shame it's the partsformer route.

Too bad Bandai went in with 70% effort.

It is possible. The DX team are just lazy.

In the new December 08 issue of Dengeki Hobby magazine, there is an article on a Bandai 1/72 scale VF-25S kit that has been customised so that it does have full size, working folding landing gear.

It's also been customised so that it has several small pegs to hold it together better in fighter mode and a gunpod that can attach to the fighter without the use of the connecting piece.

This shows it is possible to have a VF-25 with full size, nice looking landing gear.

Graham

it's possible to do a lot of things on a customized model. doing the same thing in a way that is conducive to mass production while being economical enough to keep prices from being absolutely astronomical is another thing entirely.

it's possible to do a lot of things on a customized model. doing the same thing in a way that is conducive to mass production while being economical enough to keep prices from being absolutely astronomical is another thing entirely.

Agreed, designing the 1/100 to have durable, accurate looking, folding landing gear while keeping the price at the rumored 5,000 may have been difficult.

However there is no excuse on the 1/60. At that scale it is certainly possible.

Graham

Agreed, designing the 1/100 to have durable, accurate looking, folding landing gear while keeping the price at the rumored 5,000 may have been difficult.

However there is no excuse on the 1/60. At that scale it is certainly possible.

Graham

I don't know about that. We'll have to see the toy first hand to see if a longer landing gear is possible to fit in and whether a thin stalky gear that can fit will still have enough strength to support a toy containing the weight of diecast metal. There are some diecast metal aircraft models whose landing gears bend and sag under the weight of diecast. And those are swap-type gears that don't fold or store inside the aircraft.

Would it be better for the DX toy to have correct length landing gears but have them be the swapping type like the 1/100 instead of the current stubs? (Assuming that the DX doesn't have any allowance for an internal storage long leg gear).

Edited by Vifam7

The customization crowd always amazes and fascinates me. These guys and gals pull some really cool stuff out of their hates when it comes to the mecha models. The best I have ever been able to do was customs for Warhammer 40K miniatures, and even then it was amateur at best.

Oh please no more VF-1s. I have had enough of those. I have them in all their different versions, yammies, takas, bandais, toynamis, all their different scales, the different variations. Enough is enough toy companies! Please! =)

Bring on the VF-4 and all the other obscure valkyries.

Hmm I think that's like the 3rd time I've said that. Hmm better reduce my whining. =)

Oh please no more VF-1s. I have had enough of those. I have them in all their different versions, yammies, takas, bandais, toynamis, all their different scales, the different variations. Enough is enough toy companies! Please! =)

If you don't have a Banpresto, then you don't have a VF-1. *tries to keep a straight face*

No matter what I say, I`m still worried regarding swappiness. Any news about the Robot Spirit version.

No news yet.

Bandai seem to be focusing initially on the Gundam 00 mecha in the Robot Spirit line.

Anyway, AFAIK, the Robot Spirit VF-25 is going to be non-transforming Battroid mode only.

Graham

So the Robot Spirit one will be competition to Revoltech and GN-U. Hmmm...

Judging from the pics I saw of the Gundam from the new 00 series, the articulation is definitely on par with the 2, seems like it might already be better than the EMSIA line...which had more articulation than GNUdo and Revoltech.

Honestly the 1/100 seems geared for high articulation, the resin prototype showed a lot of the joints, it might be articulate enough that I might not want a Revoltech, GNU or Robot Damashii version.

Early days yet, but if the 1/100 version has good enough articulation and locks together well, I will also probably pass on the non-transforming Robot Spirit version.

Graham

Same here. I might just pick up one of these partsformers anyway, especially if they get good reviews.

Okay some questions! This is a long thread.

1) What is the official release date of the VF-25.

2) I can't decide whether to get Ozma's or Alto's! :( Ozmas kind of looks cooler but I like the red on Alto's. I wish they were cheaper :(

Per one of the earlier shots, the tentative date is Feb. 2009 for the VF-25's. I can't answer question #2 for you :rolleyes: .

How can it take so long to finish a toy that began at the same time as the 1/60s and is far far simpler to develop as it's a partsformer.

Yamato has Macross as a priority / main attraction. Bandai has Gundam as a priority.

I bet Bandai has more people in their macross division than yamato has in the entire company.

Thats probably true. Are you sure that the Bandi 1/100s and the Yamato 1/60s were started at the same time?

I'd like to think that Bandai uses the time wisely/carefully to create a quality product instead of releasing a rushed out piece of junk that needs a recall, DIY repairs, or apologies.

Edited by Vifam7

How can it take so long to finish a toy that began at the same time as the 1/60s and is far far simpler to develop as it's a partsformer.

A lot goes into production & marketing timelines: manufacturing facility availability, avoiding competition among concurrent SKUs, etc, etc.

At the very least, they'd want to make a solid window of time to be available for their high-end products (the SOCs) before releasing the smaller-budget items.

Why swamp the market?

The MSRP is about what was previously rumored and seems acceptable to me, as long the toy locks together well, doesn't suffer from lose joint syndrome and is nicely finished. Oh and should be mostly of ABS construction.

I will pass if it is the same PVC dog poo material as the EMSIA and GFF. Can't stand that rubbery crap.

That price is only slightly higher than the model kit.

Graham

Well it said 大膽な可動範囲

Does that mean it is very poseable? (like toynami's 1/100?)

頭部、肩関節、機首、股間、尾翼、ガウォーク用関節

so swapping part consider of head, shoulder, plane head, the bum, and joint? That is more swappable part than the 1/100 kit they did years ago (but then again articulation is crap on the kit)

Well it said 大膽な可動範囲

Does that mean it is very poseable? (like toynami's 1/100?)

頭部、肩関節、機首、股間、尾翼、ガウォーク用関節

so swapping part consider of head, shoulder, plane head, the bum, and joint? That is more swappable part than the 1/100 kit they did years ago (but then again articulation is crap on the kit)

Probably more accurate this way - head, right/left shoulder, nose, crotch, tail fins, and a special joint for gerwalk mode. I'm guessing that these are the areas that are too fragile to work in PT at 1/100 scale.

Edited by Vifam7

At first I thought that 4800 JPY was a bit much, and it is however for me this may not be a deal breaker. The 1/72 kits look nicer and are bigger and cost less but require a large amount of time to complete and for me right now that is a deal breaker. I have had my VF-25 kit for several weeks now and have barely made any progress. If it will take me 12 hours to complete that model for me that is $$ lost from not working. Although it is very fun, I dont have the time for much model making right now (I am doing a little anyway and have at least 6 kits that I am planning to build).

My point is though that if these look good enough in the end I will be buying them. Especially if they do bust out the VF-4! But then again I dont think many of us would pass up a VF-4. For me the VF-25 armored versions, the VF-171, and the VF-4 will be definite buys. At this price it is a bit much but not deal breaking yet.