Bandai/Tamashi Nations 1/100 lineup. 2009 takeoff!

UN Spacy

Has there been any information about the macross 2 valkyries? Also, does anyone know if Bandai is considering releasing any of the more unconventional valkyries, like the va-3?

If you look at the bottom of the poster you pretty much see the titles of everything from the franchise. However there is no mention of the VF's from M2. I'd say right now, the selection they have is good enough.

Although, 6 inch figures.....hm...I guess that's okay.

I'm just amazed at how excited people are about paying $50 a pop for a valk and a half worth of partsformer; at a miniscule size with almost no fine detail, and a barely improved sculpt over the much hated 1/60. :blink:

well if you guy's are happy with overpriced PVC gashapon crap (cause honestly that's what it looks like) more power to ya. I'm definitely passing though.

maybe when they come out and people have them in there hands the reviews coming out might sway me, but I doubt it. <_<

Didn't say I'd buy it. Didn't think this wouldn't happen. The fact is, a valk twice as large with no partsformering costs 3-4 times as much, a la Yamato. Besides, there's 3 things you gotta think about:

They're in 1/100 scale. You can't NOT partsformer it. 1/100 is appealing because it's small.

Second, every valk is gonna be on this line. Come on, even if they're partsformers, having 100 valks in 1/100 scale IS pretty cool.

Third, now your Yammie 1/100 Koenig fits in.

Fourth, I forgot what was actually supposed to put in 3...

3 = smexy??

anime52k8

1/60 is that much expensive, and this is pretty much the only alternative for peeps that want to have atleast "one" frontier valk in their collection.

Was gonna get 1 1/72 to tide me over but i'm liking the scultp on these, and 1/100 isn't a bad scale, i already have a few 1/100's in my collection.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Didn't say I'd buy it. Didn't think this wouldn't happen. The fact is, a valk twice as large with no partsformering costs 3-4 times as much, a la Yamato. Besides, there's 3 things you gotta think about:

They're in 1/100 scale. You can't NOT partsformer it. 1/100 is appealing because it's small.

Second, every valk is gonna be on this line. Come on, even if they're partsformers, having 100 valks in 1/100 scale IS pretty cool.

Third, now your Yammie 1/100 Koenig fits in.

Fourth, I forgot what was actually supposed to put in 3...

first I dislike tiny, I'm very selective about what I buy so the few toy's I do buy have plenty of room to be big, and I can accept a little partsforming (if it's just landing gear and hand, or a part needs to be detached then reattached, I'm fine with it) but needing to to have half a valk worth of spare/duplicate parts is more than I'm willing to deal with

second my disapointment is focused strictly on the VF-25, for something really unique like the VF-4 or the VA-3 I'll be more willing to deal with the problems of this little suckers.

third, I never had a Yammie 1/100 VA-6, so it's kind of moot.

fourth, if I decide I NEED to get a MacF toy, I'll get the 1/60 (the PT makes it more playable, since there's fewer parts to keep track of)

as much as I dislike the VF-25's in this line. I'm still looking forward to there VF-4, and hopping for a VA-3 (I love the VA-3)

Anything Mac II related or 7 is going to be a huge welcome in my books.

Not too much parts to look after, i didn't say i'll be getting every one of the Mac Frontier 1/100's, just one, probably Alto's.

1/72 scale is still full of winage.

i refuse to think about buying the 1/60 DX, i'll save the larger scale for Yamato. Whenever the pig will get off the runway.

VF-4 ftw!

And Metal Siren,

And VF-2SS... maybe even the 2JA......... yummyness.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

I'm just amazed at how excited people are about paying $50 a pop for a valk and a half worth of partsformer; at a miniscule size with almost no fine detail, and a barely improved sculpt over the much hated 1/60. :blink:

well if you guy's are happy with overpriced PVC gashapon crap (cause honestly that's what it looks like) more power to ya. I'm definitely passing though.

maybe when they come out and people have them in there hands the reviews coming out might sway me, but I doubt it. <_<

At least I wouldn't pay $200 for a toy that is more fragile than a $36 model kit

I'm getting one DX Chogokin VF-25 for now, and planning on buying the whole squad in 1/100... I like the idea of having a universal display from all the series quite a bit, and while Yamato's 1/60 line currently has a decent showing, those toys are few and far between, and quite expensive. The idea of a smaller comprehensive line is extremely appealing both for its cost and depth, provided Bandai delivers. I've bought plenty of Bandai products from various lines, and have rarely been disappointed, so I'm optimistic about this line, and honestly, the parts swapping really isn't that big a deal. Like I said, I loooove PT masterpiece-esque figures like the Yamatos (and hopefully the DX 25), but for the sake of having a complete line of figures, I'd rather go cheaper.

I'm not interested in any of the 25's, model or toys, but I'd get any other rare Valk that has no chance of seeing the PT larger scale treatment in the near future, like the VF-2ss.

As for the F licence, I think the VF-171 could be made PT at 1/100 due to the simplicity of the transformation. Then again, I don't think Bandai would risk their two lines to compete with each other so they'll probably just make it parts swapping galore anyway.

Uh oh, don't think the partsformer haterists are going to like those pictures.

I prefer "Perfect Transformation Loverist". :D

I'm gonna have to agree with you. Although the 1/100 does look better than the 1/60 in my opinion. But it's still a lame-ass parts former. How many parts are there? 12? I could have done it in two: FIGHTER AND BATTROID. Okay, 3 with Gerwalk.

Wow, such a pessimist. This valk was designed with CAD. If any valk could be done in 1/100 with PT, it's this one.

Sigh. CG model used for animation ≠ 100% possible in real-life. How often does that need to be repeated?

I don't think you understand the implications of being designed in CAD. It means there isn't any anime magic in terms of proportions changing to make transformation possible.

I don't think you understand the implications of being designed in CAD. It means there isn't any anime magic in terms of proportions changing to make transformation possible.

Yes, but that doesn't automatically mean that a real-life product can be made. The CGI design may transform in ways that have parts moving without being connected to anything, rotating even where a joint isn't possible, or have support structures that are impossibly thin to make in real life. For example, one of the possible reasons that the 1/72 VF-25 has such a small cockpit (1/90 or 1/100 scale) is because the LERXes that are used to swivel the cockpit in the transformation were too thin in the anime figure and needed to be thicker in order to be more durable in the model. There are also issues with scale-- sometimes a part may be too small to produce in one scale but becomes feasible to produce in another scale-- Yamato went to 1/60 instead of 1/72 for a reason.

CAD means that the proportions of the toys may be more accurate (i.e. no more shape changing air intakes ala YF-19) but it doesn't automatically translate to perfect transformation toys.

Not to rub salt in the wounds of the OGs around here, but it is possible. The $15 1/144 Banpresto Valkries were perfect transformation, though they sucked complete arse, they were still "perfect transformation". But trust me, when they came out around the time of the 1/60 Yamato Partsformers, it caused a lot of uproar that a $15 PVC "Super Gashapon" toy could have perfect transformation while an $80+ toy couldn't.

Vostok 7

It was stated a long time ago that the original 1/100 prototypes were perfect variable but due to the fragility of the hinges, parts swapping became the transformation method.

Yeah, but that's a total garbage and untrue excuse. Lots of toys have tiny hinges. Look at the Toynami 1/100 -- it didn't have parts-forming tail fins. It had hinges. What's really stupid is the idea that the tail fins on the VF-25 have to be parts-formed because the hinges would be too small, when the base of the tail fins are these big-ass tubes that could have a circular hinge so easily built in!

Yeah but mine has broken hinges in many other places.

funny thing about that, the only damaged hinges on mine are on the shoulders (largest joint on the thing) and even though both are cracked, they're perfectly fine. in fact if it wasn't for the fact one has a larger gap than the other, you'd think that's how they were supposed to be.

A perfect transformation 1/100 scale VF-25 may be possible. But at what cost? Where will the concession occur? Accuracy? Posability? Durability? Cost of the toy?

Those and other issues have no doubt been studied by those who worked on this toy. I'm sure perfect transformation isn't the only criteria that we judge a Valkyrie toy on.

The Toynami 1/100 is a poor product to base an argument on IMHO. Yeah, it's PT but that toy has it's own set of issues.

Edited by Vifam7

I wonder what the extra material cost is compared to the labor of assembling.

Low, since the fins are all made of the same material, and the cost of the mold is spread over all the parts, while you have to employ quite a few people to assemble the parts (granted, they already have people in assembly for the rest of the toy. Still, this toy is already hitting the 50 dollar mark as it is, I figure the Bandai folks had to get their toy below a target cost and this was their solution.