New Star Trek Movie In 2009..

bandit29

The episode(s) of "Enterprise" with the Defiant showed the perfect way to do a new interpretation of TOS-era bridge displays It looked awesome. However, it did follow the original design EXACTLY for buttons/controls. If you allow for some (SOME) movie re-imagining, it could be stunning while still pretty closely resembling TOS. As opposed to making something completely unlike the original. White and blue were NOT the colors of the original bridge.

Definitely. This thing is starting to look like a train wreck. Not only will it not draw an audience from teh general public groaning at Star Trek, but it will completely disrespect most of any remaining fan base. Great job!

Ok, maybe the trek military is different, but bear with me here. At the beginning of TOS Kirk is the captain of the enterprise, meaning he has elevated through the ranks from Ensign (straight out of the academy) through the LT grades, Commander and up to Captain. Now, Spock was a Commander, maybe he graduated with Kirk, or within a year, but accelerated slower then Kirk, as a science officer that is likely if he was not in a command program, same with Scotty and McCoy. Now, Uhura was what, an LT, Sulu an Ensign, maybe a LT-JG, and CHekov was definitely an ensign when he first appeared. So, unless Uhura, Sulu, and Chekov were serious F-Ups, there is no way that they could have been in the academy at the same time as Kirk, Spock, McCoy, and Scotty. Now, perhaps Kirk, and the more senior officers have returned for some form of command enhancement training with the young cadets, but there is still a disparity regarding their ages and ranks, the younger cadets would probably range from freshman to seniors, and a mix like that on any type of training cruise or training exercise would be unlikely. But then again this is trek where military anything is thrown a few light years out of the airlock.

Ok, maybe the trek military is different, but bear with me here. At the beginning of TOS Kirk is the captain of the enterprise, meaning he has elevated through the ranks from Ensign (straight out of the academy) through the LT grades, Commander and up to Captain. Now, Spock was a Commander, maybe he graduated with Kirk, or within a year, but accelerated slower then Kirk, as a science officer that is likely if he was not in a command program, same with Scotty and McCoy. Now, Uhura was what, an LT, Sulu an Ensign, maybe a LT-JG, and CHekov was definitely an ensign when he first appeared. So, unless Uhura, Sulu, and Chekov were serious F-Ups, there is no way that they could have been in the academy at the same time as Kirk, Spock, McCoy, and Scotty. Now, perhaps Kirk, and the more senior officers have returned for some form of command enhancement training with the young cadets, but there is still a disparity regarding their ages and ranks, the younger cadets would probably range from freshman to seniors, and a mix like that on any type of training cruise or training exercise would be unlikely. But then again this is trek where military anything is thrown a few light years out of the airlock.

Yeah, don't forget that Starfleet is *not* supposed to be a military organisation. (That was always a bit of a joke as far as I was concerned. If it wasn't supposed to be a military organisation it certainly seemed like one.)

Taksraven

Yeah, I consider myself a Trek fan. But even I wasn't all that hyped about this latest movie.

To use a farming analogy, they should have left the Star Trek ground alone a lot longer and let it recover some nutrients.

They failed to meet the potential in Voyager. They brought out Enterprise (the prequel series) too soon. Hell, they even screwed up the whole "Odd Number Movie = Bad, Even Number Movie = Good" pattern. :lol:

Oh well, I still have my DS9 DVD's, and I'm sure I can catch an ep. of TOS and TNG when I'm jonesing for some good Trek.

Not a bad article. It basically summarizes what we all knew for the last decade, but still, it's an interesting read. I'm not quite as optimistic (punny!) as they are about the new Star Trek, but unlike the new Dune adaptation, these guys are saying all the right things in their interviews. They do appear to properly understood the elements of the original Trek, so that's half the battle. I personally would have went with a longer break before trying to revive the franchise; Trek's lengthy, turbulent downward spiral (to paraphrase Reznor) is almost as legendary as that of Metallica's. But hell, if it worked for Batman, it perhaps it can work for Star Trek.

Captain Pike is in the movie, played by Bruce Greenwood.

As to the why for the romulan, I'm trying not to read the spoilers. :lol:

Zachary Quinto will pull off a good Spock. I've also got a lot of faith in Karl Urban as Bones, Chris Pine as Kirk, and Simon Pegg as Scotty.

The article left me ambivalent. There's nothing wrong with the TOS technology if it's capabilities could be expanded. A large clunky hand phaser is fine if it can blast through 10m of unobtanium. A brick sized communicator is fine if it has a transmitter that can hop 1.21 Jigawatts of frequencies to a starship in a geosynch orbit. Definite groan about the politics that is apparently infused in the thought processes of these guys.

This is an interesting article on a he says/he says about Shatner cameo:

http://popwatch.ew.com/popwatch/2008/10/william-shatner.html

• 2 weeks later...

It's the bridge screen behind Spock, CoryHolmes. The lights are either reflections of the bridge lights or maybe some kind of indicators.

The Theatrical Trailer will be showing with Quantum of Solace, so I'm extra excited about going to see that movie. I can't wait to see the trailer. :D

Good lord, when I first saw the first pic with Spock in it, first thing came to my mind was "Star Destroyer?", then I read the word Empire on the lower left and my mind keep saying "WTF is Spock doing in the Empire Strikes Back" :lol:

Hopefully if its successful it can be seen as more of a rework rather than a peice of the existing series, kinda like the new BSG, same story but with updated everything and no actual continuity to the TOS or TNG etc. It could even spawn its own TNG etc with sets and styles in line with itself and not the original Rodenbury image.

The Theatrical Trailer will be showing with Quantum of Solace, so I'm extra excited about going to see that movie. I can't wait to see the trailer. :D

So new trailers for both "Star Trek" and "Watchmen" are attached to "Quantum of Solace"? Now I really need to go watch the new Bond movie :)

I still indulge in the ultimate nerd behaviour. When I am really bored I play EGA Trek.

Taksraven

I think I'm remembering this right, was that the one where you used a grid-style layout, you could coax power out of the engines/shields/weapons, go mining, dock with stations, shoot torpedo fuzzballs and get sucked into random space anamolies right? If so, that game was so much fun!

I think I'm remembering this right, was that the one where you used a grid-style layout, you could coax power out of the engines/shields/weapons, go mining, dock with stations, shoot torpedo fuzzballs and get sucked into random space anamolies right? If so, that game was so much fun!

Sounds like one of the versions of it. (there were a LOT of variants of this game, some much more complex than others)

I especially used to enjoy a version on the amiga that let you have boarding parties to take over other ships and your shields had directional controls, so you could have the shields set to strongest for the direction the attack was coming from.

Taksraven

Quinto looks pretty good as Spock but the rest of these guys aren't looking suitable. Pine is looking decent but Scotty, Sulu, and Uhura seem very miscast. not sure what I think of these jersey material tunics, either. The screen definitely looks nice.

this what you were thinking?

spockdestroyer.jpg

Btw, I just noticed this... you can actually see the edge of the saucer in the viewscreen. I wonder if they're going to ditch the whole "eye of god" viewscreens they seemed to have in later trek shows, and go with something a bit more realistic?

Edited by Chronocidal