New Star Trek Movie In 2009..

bandit29

A quick observation - the turbine looking things inside the bussard collectors are likely the mechanism that makes the collectors spin, just like they did on the original Enterprise model.

Can't see/tell anything. But I think the font's wrong on the hull!

PS---a "make you want to shoot the TV like Elvis" moment I heard/saw very recently on one of the many E!/Access Hollywood etc type shows:

"A long time ago, in a galaxy far away---that's right fans, a new Star Trek movie is coming!"

Yeah, they're using the TMP-era style font and aztec hull plating.

Really, fans can't expect them to have a carbon copy of TOS Enterprise on a movie screen, can they? Even the TOS Defiant on Enterprise and the TOS Enterprise on Star Trek remastered look, well, cheesy by the standards of today's visual effects because of the design and asthetic limitations.

Edited by Fit For Natalie

I'm still going to see Cloverfield for the teaser (want to watch that movie anyway). This is something I want to see on the big screen and not on my monitor.

I can't wait for a trailer with some film footage of the cast and all. :)

I was a huge (but closeted - I had a rep to protect! ^_^ ) TOS fan back in my junior high and high school years. I got over it as all the "new blood" came on board with TNG. I guess I just got tired of every problem being solved with techno-babble from the writers ("reverse the tachyon pulse through the deflector array!" "Of course!") rather than ingenuity that the fans could actually understand or anticipate.

So, it's nice to be a fan of the original series without being prone to being extremely butt-hurt over the tiny contradictions of "canon" that so infuriate folks like the guy commenting at the link Azrael provides above.

Oh, one other reason I gave up on Star Trek: All the TNG fans are Communists. :ph34r:

TNG vs TOS way of solving problems

Example: The "Enterprise" is at a standoff with a massive, powerful warship from a new, rival faction

TNG Way

* TNGPeaceful Means: Picard talks about peace, love, harmony with the Federation

* TNG Fisticuffs!: Technobabble to somehow bypass the warship's defenses and disable their weapons. Then refer to *TNG Peaceful Means

TOS Way

* TOS Peaceful Means: Kirk beams aboard to begin negotiations... complete with... pauses in speech... every now... and then. If the rival Captain is a Female, love ensues in the Capt's Quarters, peace is assured. If the rival Captain is a male, negotiations fall apart. See *TOS Fisticuffs 1 or 2.

* TOS Fisticuffs 1!: Kirk and his team beams back aboard the Enterprise. Combat shortly ensues but the Enterprise eventually wins a close fight. There is no "disable" BTW.

* TOS Fisticuffs 2!: Kirk and his team begins to beat the living bejeezus out of everyone aboard. Using a wide array of attacks like Flying Double Kicks, Vulcan Death Grips, etc., Starfleet is still in an even fight with the enemy. That is, until Kirk uses his Double Overhand Attacks. It's OVER from that point on. Peace between the Federation and aliens somehow ensues.

TOS era Federation FTW B))

Edited by Warmaker

I wouldn't say "better" since that's such a broad term. TNG era Feds were good on talking their way out of a problem.

The Federation in the old days just seemed to take less s**t from anyone.

"War? Sure! Come on over you Klingon / Romulan bast**ds!!!"

Also, you didn't get the feeling that the Federation's technology wasn't so superior against everyone else than it did in the TNG era.

Plus, I admired Kirk's flair of getting things done.

---

Other minor plusses:

TOS Federation Uniforms - Short skirts for the females

TOS crew / movie era Federation Uniforms - Best looking Starfleet uniforms in a Trek show, IMO. Even the crew in Engineering were dressed far differently than the rest of the crew.

I'm a sucker also for the TOS movie era Enterprises.

It's going to take getting used to since I'm used to the 60s vintage TOS model and the wonderful movie versions. It retains the Pre-Movie era look at least. And most of all, it avoids bringing a TNG era look to it.

*looks angrily at the "Akiraprise"*

As much as I adore the TOS Enterprise, that model simply will not work in today's entertainment.

At least we're back to Phaser Banks, not Phaser Strips or turrets.

There's also what I think to be the Torpedo Bay at the "neck" of the ship.

Nitpick

Those floodlights could show off a bit more of the ship. I understand that view is from the shadow side, but surely the floodlights that are all over that ship (more than the refitted Constitutions) could show off a bit more of that ship under lights.

P.S. - Any shots of the new ship showing the paint scheme? I'm wondering if they'll utilize the red / very light grey scheme of the TV series or the movie paint scheme which utilizes a bunch of black (and the modeller's dread: "Aztec" paint pattern)

Edited by Warmaker

TNG vs TOS way of solving problems

Example: The "Enterprise" is at a standoff with a massive, powerful warship from a new, rival faction

TNG Way

* TNGPeaceful Means: Picard talks about peace, love, harmony with the Federation

* TNG Fisticuffs!: Technobabble to somehow bypass the warship's defenses and disable their weapons. Then refer to *TNG Peaceful Means

Picard had one beautiful moment during an episode where a human colony was going to be removed by an alien race. The planet belongs to the aliens and they will take away the humans if the Enterprise doesn't. Lots of talking about a treaty gets no where until Picarrd uses the wording of the treaty to get the time he needs. He also did so with style :D

My feelings on this movie are kind of mixed. On the one hand as a Star Trek fan I'm happy this franchise is

continuing with this movie on the other hand I'm not really interested in re-visiting Kirk, Spock and Co.

We should be going forward with Trek not constantly doing prequels of some kind. And I seriously doubt I

can tickle "WOW" out of myself when the classic bulbous Enterprise of the 60's does it's flybys in the movie.

Agreed. I wish they had gone with the StarFleet Academy with NEW characters type concept, instead of TOS early years ...

<_<

Well I'm excited about TOS characters revisited. :) Besides we may see some Starfleet Academy stuff.

If that Enterprise in the teaser is what the new Enterprise is going to look like, I'm pleased from what they've shown. That Enterprise is sufficient to me. :) I was actually worried that they may go with an exact version of TOS Enterprise in CG like the Enterprise Defiant in the mirror two-parter episodes (I haven't seen TOS remastered). They decided it didn't look right for a movie before, hence the refit Enterprise in TMP.

Apparently Master Replicas will be bringing out stuff from the movie, although they haven't said what yet. I must admit to being curious.

Edited by Sumdumgai

Wait, let me get this straight. Is the picture lechuck posted on the previous page a fake, or was there another picture that was a fake? I've not liked Trek for a very long time, but that retro style looking version of the Enterprise definitely has my interest. Regardless, that teaser description sounds like it was tailored to my tastes, so when some friends and I get together next week to head to the movies, I think I'm going to push Cloverfield, which I want to see anyways.

They could go for "makes sense for continuity" instead of strict established visual canon and it'd work very well I think:

Make the Ent look like it actually COULD be fairly easily modified into the movie version through a long refit. (If you've ever seen any of the complaints/comparisons between TOS and TMP Enterprise, you know what I'm talking about)

REAL TRAILER IS OUT! That's right Senator Vreenak. It's NOT a FAAAAAAAAAAKE!

Modifying my earlier comment: <_<

Teaser trailer looks really boring.

At least The Dark Knight teaser trailer had dialog from the movie...

They could go for "makes sense for continuity" instead of strict established visual canon and it'd work very well I think:

Make the Ent look like it actually COULD be fairly easily modified into the movie version through a long refit. (If you've ever seen any of the complaints/comparisons between TOS and TMP Enterprise, you know what I'm talking about)

I know what you're talking about and this is exactly what I am hoping for. Something that will do the TOS Enterprise justice and at the same time make it a more logical predecessor to the refit Enterprise.

The lower deck section below the bridge already looks very much like that of the refit. Take that pic and compare it to a similar view from TMP of the refit Enterpise, and they match up really well.

-Kyp

Per Dobber, THIS picture is a fake...

enterpriseorbit1080fj3.jpg

The other one was an 'official release'.

I wouldn't call this one a "FAKE" because the artist...who's name escapes me....never claimed it was for the new movie. He just made this design and is a really talented artist who did some beautiful shots of this ship. Anyne who has the Ships of the Line book should recognize it becuae it is in the book. The other picture....the one of the Enterprise under construction....IS real though.

Chris

Damn you all for making me want to get TOS box sets...speaking of which, how are the DVD's held in those bulbus yellow, bue, & red cases? Digipack? Thinpaks?

I'm going to wait until actual footage is shown before I deciede, but so far I'm not hating this movie as much as I thought I was going to, may actually go see it.