New Star Trek Movie In 2009..

bandit29

I have concerns about just how badly Abrams may butcher the franchise. If you have a movie set in the TOS era, then you need to be in the TOS era. That means wearing the spandex, micro-miniskirts, lots of buttons and rotating lights... from the rumours I've heard, it seems like things are being changed just for the sake of changing them or a producer's whim.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

More boring news on this boring prequel. My expectations of this film are so low I will probably end up enjoying it. (that happened when I saw the Aeon Flux movie the other day for the first time, expecting pure shite and was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't THAT bad. I havent seen the original series so that probably helped.)

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news08/081015f.php

You gotta love the way that they are trying to talk this movie up, even trying to say that it will be better than the Star Wars prequels. They clearly lack faith in their product if they are not confident that the fact that it is star trek should sell it.

Taksraven

Trekweb has posted a TON of new pictures. My interest definitely going up here. :blink:

Souce = http://trekweb.com/articles/2008/10/15/Fir...-and-Nero.shtml

star_trek_400x765.jpg

Starfleet 90210.

This looks like it will have the fans of the original series clutching their dvd's/videos of the original screaming "MY PRECIOUSSSSSSSSSSS"

Considering the fact that most of the fans never warmed to Wil Wheaton in TNG, I doubt that they will ever be able to stand this crew.

Yes, I know that the film is meant to have a much broader appeal than just the fans of the original, but will it appeal to a younger generation anyway?

And I have to say, that bridge looks like one of the gayest in history. What the hell is that workstation that Uhura is standing at? Man, it looks like she should be using it to sell mobile phones. I think that they did a better job in Macross Frontier of modernising the bridge of the Macross Quarter without it looking silly.

And Kirk is a blackshirt, gimme a break, PLEASE!!!!!????

Even though the guy playing Kirk is 28, he is still way too young. Shatner was about 35 when he started playing Kirk. Its only 7 years but it makes a BIG difference.

Let the internet howling begin.

Taksraven

Screw the haters.

bigspock.jpg

bridge.jpg

escapepod.jpg

nero.jpg

onthebridge.jpg

usskelvin1.jpg

Well there will definately be haters on this film. After seeing the pictures, I really don't know what to think or feel. Being an old school Star Trek fan I liked the idea of going back to the original crew, especially since I never really liked The Next Generation; but these pictures have me stumped. I'm sure that's Kirk(ya!!) in the black shirt, and it's probably due to the fact that the film could take place before Kirk takes command of the Enterprise. Spock looks cool and so does Uhura! B))

As far as the bridge is concerned it's not what I thought, but I won't complain. I'm just glad the old crew is back and I don't have to hear that old bald headed captain say: "Make it so" anymore. :lol:

I'm just glad the old crew is back and I don't have to hear that old bald headed captain say: "Make it so" anymore. :lol:

You do realise that you are committing the blasphemy of picking on Patrick Stewart. Naughty, Naughty!!!

Taksraven

True Trek-geek nitpick:

What's with the preceding 0 in the reg number? NCC-0514? That's just wrong/weird. There's many canon ships with numbers less than 1000, and they don't have preceding zeroes. I mean, they don't do NCC-01701. It should simply be NCC-514.

True Trek-geek nitpick:

What's with the preceding 0 in the reg number? NCC-0514? That's just wrong/weird. There's many canon ships with numbers less than 1000, and they don't have preceding zeroes. I mean, they don't do NCC-01701. It should simply be NCC-514.

Perhaps what we're looking at is the infamous Kobayashi Maru test.

Not a huge Trek fan, but enjoyed watching TOS as a kid back in the 70s', in fact it was a 'must watch' back then as a little kid. I'll also watch TNG and DS9 if they are on TV, but don't have time for any of the other series.

Don't like the franchise well enough to buy DVDs or other merchandise though. However, I do usually go to the cinema to watch the movies.

With all that said, I must say I do quite like the latest photos of the new movie.

One question, why does Spock look angry? Isn't he supposed to be emotionless?

Graham

What I don't get, fine, hip new redo, updated ship interiors, assumedly updated ship exteriors....why the TV style uniforms? At this point, why not go back and just use a movie era style uniform, they look better, they make more sense.

There are some images floating around of the updated USS Enterprise, and I kinda like it. I've gotten back into a serious Trek mode over the last month, and I'm really looking forward to this flick.

Personally I think the best take on the trek uniform is the ones featured in First Contact and beyond (Grey shoulders and an undershirt type deal that was the traditional coloring). The TOS movie series were good ones too. So, I too, am not sure why they'd keep the super retro ones.

It's the Apple iBridge! *turns on main computer to the hum of a Mac firing up*

WOW! Talk about bad casting! None of the crew looks like their original counterparts. What's up with the bridge? Looks far more advanced than anything from TNG or VOY.

I'm all for updating and changing things around respectfully, but they changed far too much and have successfully erased any sense of a nostalgic connection between this and the original TV series (this is coming from someone who supports the Transformers Movie Designs - then again I care more for ST than I do for TF.).

At least the ship exterior looks great...

Here's hoping the trailer next month will win me over... (to be attached with the new bond film)

Edited by OmegaD3k

I have a hard time harping on prequels that look flashier than the movies they are supposed to precede. The basic technology used to create the affects is so vastly improved from when TOS first aired, that it's gonna look more advanced anyways. That's not to say they should just go nuts. But if a slightly advanced looking bridge is the only thing wrong with the movie when all is said and done, I'll be quite pleased.

I certainly won't complain when the effects are better, and the sets are more modern on a prequel, so long as they keep within the spirit of their time period in the franchise. Looks to me like they're managing that far better than Enterprise did. Of course, haven't seen an awful lot yet.

Graham

It's the slanted eyebrows isn't it? That's just the physical traits of a Vulcan and/or Romulan like their pointy ears. If you want to get technical Spock is half human, but being raised as a Vulcan he is able to almost completely suppress his emotions. IIRC in the first movie it was shown that he never went through the final rituals/process that was supposed to completely purge his emotions. Instead he decided to go back to Star Fleet.

Graham

God, this makes me feel soooo old but, If I remember correctly in the episode that had Capt.Pike commanding the Enterprise, Spock WAS emotional. I even believe there was a scene where Spock was playing chess with him and he was smiling; that's if my memory is working. ^_^

God, this makes me feel soooo old but, If I remember correctly in the episode that had Capt.Pike commanding the Enterprise, Spock WAS emotional. I even believe there was a scene where Spock was playing chess with him and he was smiling; that's if my memory is working. ^_^

That might've been the 2nd pilot "Where no man has gone before" but it wasn't Jeff "Capt. Jefferey Pike" Hunter that was playing chess with Spock it was Kirk. I do agree in the earlier episodes Leonard Nimoy did show emotion like smiling a lot. In the 1st pilot the Cage, Spock and Capt. Pike was examining a jiggling plant he broke out laughing.

If people that love Star trek are gonna hate this... I'll probably love it. And from the reactions so far... I can't wait!

I understand that sentiment. I don't consider myself a "fan" like I am of shows like Macross but I will certainly watch the films and tv shows and I know how silly a lot of the die hard fans of this show can be.

As a side note, I am currently watching all of ST:Voyager as I missed most of it when it was on tv. The episode I watched the other day, "Tuvix" was a revelation and possibly one of the greatest Star Trek episodes I have seen from any series. I won't go into details for those who have not seen it, but I will say that the best part about the episode was the ending, which I loved because it was a very uncomfortable one, which is breaking a lot of Trek rules.

Taksraven

The episode(s) of "Enterprise" with the Defiant showed the perfect way to do a new interpretation of TOS-era bridge displays It looked awesome. However, it did follow the original design EXACTLY for buttons/controls. If you allow for some (SOME) movie re-imagining, it could be stunning while still pretty closely resembling TOS. As opposed to making something completely unlike the original. White and blue were NOT the colors of the original bridge.

There isn't nearly enough plywood in those sets. And WTF is with that snow....looks nothing like soap chips. How do they expect us to accept this as TOS era Trek if everything look real-ish? And the FLIR pods on that so-called USS Kelvin are all wrong for that mark! It's as if they don't care. You can totally tell that JJ Abrams didn't even look at the copious piles of notes that e-pundits sent him on how to do this movie right.

They clearly lack faith in their product if they are not confident that the fact that it is star trek should sell it.

If anything, they have to sell the movie in spite of it being Trek. If there's any single "brand" that needs rehabilitation, it's Trek. I think you seriously underestimate the apathy that 99% of the movie-going public must feel about yet another Trek film.

I understand that sentiment. I don't consider myself a "fan" like I am of shows like Macross but I will certainly watch the films and tv shows and I know how silly a lot of the die hard fans of this show can be.

As a side note, I am currently watching all of ST:Voyager as I missed most of it when it was on tv. The episode I watched the other day, "Tuvix" was a revelation and possibly one of the greatest Star Trek episodes I have seen from any series. I won't go into details for those who have not seen it, but I will say that the best part about the episode was the ending, which I loved because it was a very uncomfortable one, which is breaking a lot of Trek rules.

Taksraven

AH, Tuvix. that episode made me sad and cemented my hate of janeway.