New Star Trek Movie In 2009..

bandit29

trekmovie.com article

Sounds like it's due to a new Paramount head, 2008's line-up being secure and 2009's line-up being kind of weak at the moment.

I'm damned well disappointed. On the other hand, JJ Abrams and crew has more time to shoot principle photography, and more time to do effects. I'll patiently wait. Argh, gonna have to wait longer though. :( I want to see this movie so bad...

trekmovie.com article

Sounds like it's due to a new Paramount head, 2008's line-up being secure and 2009's line-up being kind of weak at the moment.

I'm damned well disappointed. On the other hand, JJ Abrams and crew has more time to shoot principle photography, and more time to do effects. I'll patiently wait. Argh, gonna have to wait longer though. :( I want to see this movie so bad...

2009 is going to have a busy summer season.

• 1 month later...

Heh, the skirts DO look good. I still wish they were just doing another set of characters or something instead of rehashing the classics. At least do something like Trials and Tribble-ations or whatever with the stock footage.

Well, I've read that based upon what was seen at one of the toy shows of the toys for the new movie (no pictures allowed), the "fleet" skirts are pretty damned short. Maybe even shorter than in the original series. That'll be interesting to see how the "fleet" uniforms turn out.

Ok, if it weren't for the Trek symbols on the lightposts, I'd chalk this up as shots from an Imperial academy for a new Star Wars film. The darker uniforms with the caps especially. Aside from that even though, those don't look much like uniforms.. just a uniform color. You can see a shiny emblem on the darker ones, but the styling is just.. not there, I guess. Without the jacket, it looks like they're just wearing red versions of the ST:TMP uniforms.. one piece jumpsuits with a jacket.

Actually, now that I think about it, it's an awfully uniform color.. I wonder if the costume designs haven't actually been finished, and they're going to digitally alter them later on? I doubt it, since that just seems ridiculous, but since they're already using blue for the big background...hmm.

Btw, someone needs to inform JJ about the origins of the Starfleet logo. It wasn't the Enterprise delta until after TOS. Before then, all the ships had their own logo. :p I don't even know what the Starfleet logo looked like before then.

I'm pretty certain there is a little more details to the uniforms that we can't see due to the quality and distance of the pics.

So far I've counted: men and women's versions of the red uniform (some with caps), dark grey uniforms with something on the upper left chest (some with caps), men and women's versions of light grey uniforms with some kind of belt (all with hats), and a few dark green uniforms with Navy-ish hats. So that's about 6 different types of uniforms (that's counting the skirt versions). The green guys seem to be wearing boots, and possibly have belts.

I could swear that I saw in some TOS episodes other non-Enterprise Starfleet personnel with the delta. I mean, we saw other ships personnel had different patches in various episodes, but I could swear I saw some with the delta...

Even in the Enterprise 2 part episode "In a Mirror Darkly" they got it right as the uniforms worn by the crew of the Defiant had a logo reminiscent of the starship pennant that adorns the secondary hull and warp nacelles of all Constitution class vessels. If they got it correct for a TV series they should do so for a theatrical feature film.

• 3 months later...

Star Trek movie official site, head to downloads to see the posters/bgs that make up the starfleet badge and shows Chris Pine as young Kirk, Zachary Quinto as young Spock, Zoe Saldana as young Uhura, and Eric Bana as Nero. Nero looks interesting. Looks like someone chewed up his ear.

Addition: here's the four posters put together, taken from trekmovie.com.

hiresposter2ama3.jpg

Edited by Sumdumgai

• 3 weeks later...

Love that poster as well as the Cast! This is looking better and better. Just re-watched MI:III the other day and it was even better than I remembered. I have faith in JJ Abrams. I think this will kick ass!!! Cool car in that pic at good ol' CSUN. Haven't been around that campus in a while. Good background for the Academy.

Star Trek movie official site, head to downloads to see the posters/bgs that make up the starfleet badge and shows Chris Pine as young Kirk, Zachary Quinto as young Spock, Zoe Saldana as young Uhura, and Eric Bana as Nero. Nero looks interesting. Looks like someone chewed up his ear.

Addition: here's the four posters put together, taken from trekmovie.com.

hiresposter2ama3.jpg

Oh god these actor look terrible... they look like they came straight out of a teeny bopper soap opera... DO NOT WANT!

Spock looks fine, Kirk looks...I don't know...too hard to tell from that 'sassy' angle. Uhura (I assume) looks fine I guess, although it doesn't make me think of her character. As for Darth Maul, he looks weird without all of his tattoos.

Spock looks fine, Kirk looks...I don't know...too hard to tell from that 'sassy' angle. Uhura (I assume) looks fine I guess, although it doesn't make me think of her character. As for Darth Maul, he looks weird without all of his tattoos.

LOL

I'm OK with the characters, except for one small problem: Shatner's Kirk has brown eyes, whereas Chris Pine has blue eyes. I'm hoping that Abrahms remembers to have the kid wear contacts.

Did Uhura HAVE any character?

Did Uhura HAVE any character?

Yep. If Kirk was the dashing cowboy-diplomat, Spock the cold super-genius, and McCoy the Old-fashioned southern gentleman, Uhura was the source of understated, earth-mother type wisdom.

Ever hear the phrase "can't see the forest for the trees"? She was the one who could be counted on to see the forest despite the trees.

I think that's the problem here. Uhura was like a sexy robot and this lady seems to have too much 'life'.

Huh? She was definitely sexy back in the day, but 'robot'? Granted, her involvement in many of the storylines was somewhat limited (probably due in large part to the socio-political climate of the time), but in all of the episodes in which she was used as more than a device to move the plot forward, she struck me as being very human. Two episodes come to mind right now- "Plato's Stepchildren" and "Bread and Circuses".

Regardless, I'm very excited to check out this film.

Same here. I'm a long time Trek fan, and I'm hoping that this will provide the franchise with a much needed shot in the arm.

Huh? She was definitely sexy back in the day, but 'robot'? Granted, her involvement in many of the storylines was somewhat limited (probably due in large part to the socio-political climate of the time), but in all of the episodes in which she was used as more than a device to move the plot forward, she struck me as being very human. Two episodes come to mind right now- "Plato's Stepchildren" and "Bread and Circuses".

Same here. I'm a long time Trek fan, and I'm hoping that this will provide the franchise with a much needed shot in the arm.

I haven't watched the OS in many years so my memory is probably just drawing me a rough sketch of her. I always liked Uhura.

Some interesting/intriguing facts about the upcoming film:

Shaun (of the Dead) is playing Scotty.

Eomer (LOTR) is playing Bones.

Harold (of Harold and Kumar) is playing Sulu.

And Winona Ryder is playing Spocks mom.

:D

The new posters looks like they rushed on them, the angles are really bad so you can't see any resemblance to the original cast. Anton Yelchin normally doesn't look that old, he normally looks much younger (he looks more like Bashir from Deep Space 9 in this pic). :lol: The angle they got Karl Urban at doesn't really show off any resemblance to Deforrest Kelley, which can be seen better at other angles. John Cho looks more like Harry Kim from Voyager than Sulu, but I never saw that much resemblance between him and George Takei. Simon Pegg just plain old looks weird there. :p

I've still got a lot of faith in the movie, and can't wait for May 2009. :D Hell I can't wait for a theatrical trailer!

This movie is pointless. ST needs to be rested for a few decades and if it is ever brought back it needs to continue on after Voyager. One of the most boring movie and tv franchises in history.

Taksraven