New Star Trek Movie In 2009..

bandit29

Legit concept art?

IPB Image

Please tell me that big piece of ugly is another April Fool's joke OK, it was a joke... they got lucky this time, grrrr... If there are three things that should never be messed around with they are Beethoven's Fifth, Beowulf, and the design of the TOS and movie-era Enterprises. :ph34r:

Edited by Pat Payne

Guest sh002

So this will take place between Enterprise and the original series? I think I have a ST book that has concept art or some starships before the classic Enterprise.

I kind of like the april fools design, but not as the original kirk enterprise, I see it more like what the mirror universe enterprise should have looked at given what was shown in Enterprise. Think about it, that design is about 100 years beyond the kirk era, and in enterprise, the mirror universe archer captured a connie class, which was about 100ys beyond them correct? So it would make perfect sense that their tech level would look like that by the mirror universe kirk timeframe right?

I kind of like the april fools design, but not as the original kirk enterprise, I see it more like what the mirror universe enterprise should have looked at given what was shown in Enterprise. Think about it, that design is about 100 years beyond the kirk era, and in enterprise, the mirror universe archer captured a connie class, which was about 100ys beyond them correct? So it would make perfect sense that their tech level would look like that by the mirror universe kirk timeframe right?

I agree with this, since that TV Enterprise was really out of whack time-wise....

I agree with this, since that TV Enterprise was really out of whack time-wise....

Yeah that was one of the things that spoilt Enterprise as a series. I considered it more like a reboot itself. I make no bones that since they seriously started to play with the mirror universe concept in DS9 I have for the most part prefered it to the "normalverse" now if they did a series about the Mirrorverse I watch it. Right now th eonly thing that gets my interest is the fan made "Five Year Mission" and the very occasional rerun episode depending on which one it is.

Having turrets on the enterprise somehow inspires a steampunk-like design for the classic ship.

Otherwise, thumbs down for this design. Not only is it ugly (Repulsive cuts in the saucer section), but isn't there some law against messing with matt Jeffrey's design? After all, Rodenberry approved the origional version because it didn't have external piping or rocket engines that were so prevelant of the time.

If anything, they'll leave out some "Mirrorverse" episodes (not sure how many there are total, though) just to ensure you buy some series season box sets. I bought the Klingon set, and I realized later there were some really good Klingon episodes left out, especially from the era of the Dominion War / Deep Space 9 Series, where we see Klingons in a time of war.

isn't there some law against messing with matt Jeffrey's design?

Yeah. It's called, "You do NOT screw with the Enterprise, period." If you thought that the minor fervor about the TF designs is bad, just wait until Trekkies get up in arms over their beloved ship design.

Edited by CoryHolmes

Agree. While the Klingon set was good and felt it could have been better but will not buy the season boxed sets. Just to sell more Enterprise bet they would leave out CAPT Archer and the Defiant or the Mirrorverse war from DS9.

If anything, they'll leave out some "Mirrorverse" episodes (not sure how many there are total, though) just to ensure you buy some series season box sets. I bought the Klingon set, and I realized later there were some really good Klingon episodes left out, especially from the era of the Dominion War / Deep Space 9 Series, where we see Klingons in a time of war.

Yeah. It's called, "You do NOT screw with the Enterprise, period." If you thought that the minor fervor about the TF designs is bad, just wait until Trekkies get up in arms over their beloved ship design.

The movie Enterprise looks advanced also, finally using 80's special effects technology (in a Post Star Wars era). The movie version looked much more like a succeeding revision of the TOS Enterprise, and acted eventually as a wonderful medium between the TOS and TNG era. It was simple, sleek, beautiful, and still gave a presence of power as far as Trek ships go.

As for the TOS Enterprise, well, this is before the snazzy effects of Star Wars and the 80's. It doesn't look as good in today's standards but the "rule" still applies to her.

• 6 months later...

k, so first we got Zach Quinto as Spock

post-515-1192204032_thumb.jpg

then a few days ago they announced Eric Bana as the Villain

post-515-1192204086_thumb.jpg

and today a bunch of the usual movie news sites (AICN, Dark Horizons) are reporting John Cho as Sulu and Simon Pegg as Scotty. Pretty interesting cast so far.

post-515-1192204258_thumb.jpg

I'm not a huge Trek fan, and I know not everyone likes Abram's stuff, but I enjoy LOST & I thought his Mission Impossible was the best of the 3, so this movie has my $10.00 for a ticket for sure.

I could see John Cho as Sulu and Simon Pegg as Scotty. I don't know about that Spock, though.

As for the April Fool's Enterprise, aside from the phaser turrets, it's honestly not too bad. For a reboot, it does sorta look like it could fill the gap between Enterprise and the TNG era.

Too late, First Contact and the whole Enterprise series already did that. :ph34r:

I don't think First Contact messed things up too much. Sure, it muddled with Cochrane's backstory, but in the end they restored the timeline. Of course, that means that in order for there to be warp capable ships the Enterprise has to go back in time and save Earth? That makes no sense. Stupid time paradoxes.

All in all though I enjoyed First Contact, especially the battle for Sector 001. Mmm Akira. It saddens me that there are no die-cast Akira toys or even any official models. I've only been able to find two resin kits, and the good one is now $75. For that price it should be painted.

Enterprise... yeah... don't even get me started.

Edited by meh_cd

I could see John Cho as Sulu and Simon Pegg as Scotty. I don't know about that Spock, though.

As for the April Fool's Enterprise, aside from the phaser turrets, it's honestly not too bad. For a reboot, it does sorta look like it could fill the gap between Enterprise and the TNG era.

Dude... he has no make up on and he already looks like Spock. He's been the best choice of the casting so far. And the casting overall is pretty good. The big announcement will be who lands the role of a young James T. Kirk. I'm no trekkie, but I gotta admit this sounds pretty frakkin' sweet so far.

Pegg as Scotty is going to be interesting. :) I mean the difference between Shaun and Nicholas Angel... Two completely different people. Eric Bana in the movie as a villain. I'm really starting to look forward to this movie.