New Star Trek Movie In 2009..

bandit29

They need to get some new ideas, not recycle old plots ...

<_<

405151[/snapback]

That is essentaily what they did for the first season of TNG. They used all the plots from TOS gave them new names and slight tweaks and banged them out as new fodder.

So expect a Wrath of Kan rehash or something.

They need to get some new ideas, not recycle old plots ...

<_<

405151[/snapback]

That is essentaily what they did for the first season of TNG. They used all the plots from TOS gave them new names and slight tweaks and banged them out as new fodder.

So expect a Wrath of Kan rehash or something.

405338[/snapback]

Yeah. It was called Nemesis.

Just done very badly.

"Perhaps today is a good day to die. Prepare for RAMMING SPEED!"

I just wish First Contact had a longer space battle. I wanted to see Starfleet get its ass beat down by the Borg before Picard and Data (forget the rest of the cast, they're filler anyway for the movies) turn the tables and win the battle.

"Perhaps today is a good day to die.  Prepare for RAMMING SPEED!"

I just wish First Contact had a longer space battle.  I wanted to see Starfleet get its ass beat down by the Borg before Picard and Data (forget the rest of the cast, they're filler anyway for the movies) turn the tables and win the battle.

405366[/snapback]

In the First Contact novel the battle was a LOT longer than what we got on the big screen. :(

IMHO, the only reason they are contemplating an academy film is because:

- it's the one thing that hasn't been dwelved into at great length in anything Star Trek released to date. Sure, they've had flashbacks and 'back in the academy...' dialogues, but nothing definitive. Thus the producers de jour probably feel that it is new territory.

- cashing in on the 'Harry Potter' wave. HP = an academy with magic. The HP 'formula' is turning into an "it'll make money" concept... will it work for ST? Doubtful, as ST is supposed to be science fiction* and not Sci-Fi.

* Pseduo-science and action aside, the last five ST movies have been great science fiction ones - all meditating on some type of an issue. Only Generations, and First Contact doubled as decent sci-fi movies.

IMHO, the only reason they are contemplating an academy film is because:

- it's the one thing that hasn't been dwelved into at great length in anything Star Trek released to date.  Sure, they've had flashbacks and 'back in the academy...' dialogues, but nothing definitive.  Thus the producers de jour probably feel that it is new territory.

I vaguely recall an episode of ST:TNG that focussed on Wil Crusher at Starfleet Academy. He was part of some team that did flying stunts, there was an accident, then Picard had to come and save his ass in a trial or something ....

:)

Edited by Vermillion21

Yes, but didn't that mostly occur in the form of a trial, in a space station around Jupiter? (Or was it Earth?)

I don't think the point of that episode was about the academy, but more an individual failing to understand what 'leadership' truly means, as they strive to be the best.

That episode was a lesson in honor and integrity in a person and a soldier. Wesley's flight team could have covered up the facts about their crash, but they ultimately decided to tell the truth...

sketchley, myk, & big F:

I agree with all of your comments.  I know I saw that episode when it was on ... just couldn't remember the details.  Point is: it did show StarFleet, kinda.

:)

405729[/snapback]

Yeas it did show you a bit of Starfleet you got some new sets and a few CGI images of buildings etc. They should have expanded it I thought. Obviously nows the chance.

Wasn't he a janitor? (Boothby?)

Didn't he show up in Voyager as the mentor of Janey (the episode where they came across Species ###'s secret Starfleet training satellite)? (Wasn't he the mentor of virtually all the captains?)

Wasn't he a janitor?  (Boothby?)

Didn't he show up in Voyager as the mentor of Janey (the episode where they came across Species ###'s secret Starfleet training satellite)?  (Wasn't he the mentor of virtually all the captains?)

406876[/snapback]

Dunno, maybe? What I do remember is that the guy was older than Picard, but apparently was a mentor in Picard's youth while he was at the Academy .... whoa, talk about old!!

:p

Is that Star Trek PC game that came out a few years back still available? Wasn't that a Starfleet Academy game, or something like that?

405446[/snapback]

The Starfleet Academy game was in 1997.

It's long out of print, as are the games that came before it and most of the ones after it.

Wasn't he a janitor? (Boothby)

He was the groundskeeper.

And you guys are forgetting where some of the best looks into the Acadamy come from... Deep Space Nine. Remember, Nog (the nephew of Quark, the Ferengi bartender) joined Starfleet. And from Deep Space Nine, you can kind of get the impression that it's one part military-style classroom studies, and one part field training.

And you guys are forgetting where some of the best looks into the Acadamy come from... Deep Space Nine. Remember, Nog (the nephew of Quark, the Ferengi bartender) joined Starfleet. And from Deep Space Nine, you can kind of get the impression that it's one part military-style classroom studies, and one part field training.

407180[/snapback]

Ah yeah... and they accidentally went to Roswell while ferrying Nog to his first day at the Academy. :)

407180[/snapback]

Ah yeah... and they accidentally went to Roswell while ferrying Nog to his first day at the Academy. :)

407199[/snapback]

Ah DS9 my favorite next to the latter Borg bashing episodes of Voyager.

Vermillion21, you should definitely give DS9 another chance.

Most people consider the first two seasons kinda bland (though there's a couple of gems in there like "Duet"), but Season 3 onwards is a pretty damn good ride.

Yes, it's "darker" than most other Star Trek series <_< . But it arguably has some of the best stories, the deepest character development, and coolest OMFG space battles of any of the series. Hell, even some of the recurring guest characters had more development than the regulars on some of the other series.

BTW, hate to put a crimp on your guys' Starfleet Academy ideas, but the actor that played Boothby (Ray Walston) past away a few years ago. Yeah, they could always recast the part, but I don't know if it'd be the same.

I'll second what Mog said.

A lot... and I do mean a lot... of what TNG so good was the crew. And at first, even though you know that DS9 is set near the end of TNG, it feels so foreign. But the crew kinda grows together, and as they do, you find yourself liking them more and more. Also, since DS9 is a fixed point instead of a starship out exploring and encounter new villians of the week, you get a set of regular villians that really get a chance to shine (Weyoun for the win!). In fact, character development is one of DS9's greatest strengths, and the writers' ability to connect the viewers with even bit characters make for some excellent stories with real emotion (check out "Honor Among Thieves").

I'm not going to lie to you... there are some bland, boring episodes, especially in the earlier seasons. But some of Star Trek's best stories are to be found in DS9.

Not to mention Trek's best fleet-battles. Seeing a half-dozen or so Galaxy class starships coming in multiple angles with phasers firing is something to be found only in DS9...

Yet another to chime in on how good DS9 gets. Beats TNG IMHO. (and I'm a huge TNG fan)

Plus DS9's final seasons maintained both a "Dominion War arc" as well as stand-alone eps. Few series can do both simultaneously, and pull it off well. (VOY was IMHO one big blundering/pondering quasi-arc)

Yeah, as much as I love Picard and his gang, TNG stories were relatively conservative and not nearly as stirring as DS9's later episodes. Somehow, like Dave said, Voyager failed to have the same effect...

DS9 = awesome

I like Garek. I admit I never finished watching the series, and some of the stuff with the Doctor I found really stupid, but overall DS9 was an awesome series.

And the fleet battles, oh man. Great stuff. They should have had something like that in First Contact! Long big fleet battle against the borg, rather than catching the end of it. :p

Garek was very, very interesting.

Did you guys catch the ship from Enterprise in one of the final fleet battles of DS9?

- I'm not sure if it is the actual Enterprise... sure looked like it though.