New Star Trek Movie In 2009..

bandit29

Regarding mothball ships ... Enterprise had a couple of (excellent IMO) episodes based in the mirror universe, where the constitution class Defiant from Kirk's era literally could destroy fleets of ships from Archer's era. I'm guessing that using mothball ships any older than 20 years to fight the Dominion would practically have been a death sentence for those crews. Major refits to shielding and weapons would have been necessary for even behind the line duties.

Regarding mothball ships ... Enterprise had a couple of (excellent IMO) episodes based in the mirror universe, where the constitution class Defiant from Kirk's era literally could destroy fleets of ships from Archer's era.  I'm guessing that using mothball ships any older than 20 years to fight the Dominion would practically have been a death sentence for those crews.  Major refits to shielding and weapons would have been necessary for even behind the line duties.

407582[/snapback]

huh... did they actually have the battle sequences or was it all off camera and exposition?

That's a good question. I never bothered to watch Enterprise, but if they had the old Constitution class in action with today's special effects I'll have to look up those episodes....

The two parter is called In a Mirror, Darkly. It continues a storyline from TOS - The Tholian Web. The effects are updated and almost all of the combat sequences are on screen.

Spoilers ...

The constitution class Defiant tore through around 5 Tholian webcasters. It also destroyed a rebel fleet consisting of Vulcan, Andorian, and Tellarite ships.

Edited by Baldrick

It was IMHO a sad thing whent they canned Enterprise As one of my favorite things about the whole STrek franchise was the alternate universe thing. They really explored it in DS9 and when I saw it in Enterprise I was all yay!! cool: Then they canned it. I was hoping to see how the alternate universe thing was going to pan out. In some ways its better than the regular universe series.

Edited by big F

I really want to see that ep of Enterprise with the Defiant (I heard about it a few months ago) but the local stations seem to show stuff in a random order, so I have no idea if it's been on lately, or won't be on for another 3 years. Plus Trek seasons on DVD are expensive. I've seen a few screen shots---they even completely recreated the TOS bridge and uniforms, only "updated" and made of high-quality stuff---and it works amazingly well. Imagine movie-style computer screens in TOS colors and format. I think even the most purist of pure TOS fans thought it looked good and wasn't at all "sacrilege" to change the bridge displays.

Edited by David Hingtgen

I actually saw the first part of that story. Watching them just power up the Constitution class was really exciting. Now you guys are saying that there was actual combat? I've gotta' start looking for those episodes...

You guys act like Enterprise was the first place we saw stuff from TOS updated. Did you guys miss the DS9 episode where the Defiant-class Defiant was sent back in time by the Orb of Time, Trials and Tribble-ations? A little light-hearted, it was still a highly entertaining episode. And since it was after they switched from studio models to CGI, you get to see a gorgeous CGI NCC-1701 Constitution class pre-refit Enterprise.

You guys act like Enterprise was the first place we saw stuff from TOS updated.  Did you guys miss the DS9 episode where the Defiant-class Defiant was sent back in time by the Orb of Time, Trials and Tribble-ations?  A little light-hearted, it was still a highly entertaining episode.  And since it was after they switched from studio models to CGI, you get to see a gorgeous CGI NCC-1701 Constitution class pre-refit Enterprise.

407865[/snapback]

Trials and Tribble-ations was a great episode. I love how they edited the DS9 and TOS footage together the way they did. At first I though it was just going to be different scenes together but they made everyone appear together as if was all filmed together. From Worf, O'Brian, the Doc and Odo taking part in the brawl along side the TOS cast tight up to the end where Sisko got a chance to talk with Kirk and liked how not even the people interviewing him could fault him for doing that. :)

That just reminded me how legendary Kirk in starfleet was.

That was a great episode I have to agree and almost brought me back into trek, but then I watched and episode of Voyager after that and it turned back off. IMHO the only good episode(s) of Voyager were the "year of hell" episode(s).

Trials and Tribbleations spent great amounts of time and money to look like the 60's. In a Mirror Darkly did the opposite--tried to make it look like TOS was filmed with a modern budget--and did it very well.

Also the Defiant FOUGHT. :)

Trials and Tribbleations spent great amounts of time and money to look like the 60's.  In a Mirror Darkly did the opposite--tried to make it look like TOS was filmed with a modern budget--and did it very well. 

Also the Defiant FOUGHT.  :)

407974[/snapback]

Heh, I love it... star trek fans always claim that trek is great because it's all about humanism and the bettermentof society but everytime there's a kick ass space battle, that is all anyone wants to see... No one ever says, wow, episode 23 was AWESOME, kirk totally had a great conversation with a hostile alien race and was able to reach a mutual accord!

tar trek fans always claim that trek is great because it's all about humanism and the bettermentof society

I've never claimed any such thing. Roddenberry's vision was often more idealistic than realistic. I like Star Trek because they're good stories. Mostly.

Yeah, to be honest, although all the battles are great eye-candy to watch, they all blur together in my memory.

I'm the first to admit that I'm not a big Star Trek fan (Macross all the way!), but I do enjoy watching ST. Right now, at this moment, the story that sticks out the most in my mind is the DS9 episode where they did the parable of racism, and they had all of the principle actors - without makeup.

I wish to say something more about the other episodes and series - but they're all blurring together.

Gah! Old age. T.T

Trials and Tribble-ations was a great episode.

Hmm....The only thing I can recall from that episode is Dax in that super-high-mini-skirt uniform thing...

I never really got into DS9, probably because Babylon 5 was on tv around the same time (roughly) and I remember thinking: wow, the plots in B5 are way kick ass compared to DS9. Then again, it was at the start of the series ....

:)

That the main problem with ST DVD`s they are soooo expensive. I have most of TNG but stopped as they started to take over my wallet and shelvespace. mmm Sounds like a certain Anime I know :p

Edited by big F

That the main problem with ST DVD`s they are soooo expensive. I have most of TNG but stopped as they started to take over my wallet and shelvespace. mmm Sounds like a certain Anime I know :p

Really. The stuff's $100 a season for EACH series, which means that you could end up spending (counts fingers), like $3,000 for all 4 incarnations of 'Trek?! I like Trek, but not that much...

People always prefer dark-sci fi of gritty warfare or flawed characters rather than the the floating United Nations of purple carpet and matching pastel uniforms that Roddenberry's dream seemed to be.

Even Paramount realized this and basically kicked Roddenberry off Star Trek II completely because the first one did poorly compared to its huge budget. And guess what? That turned out to be the favorite Trek movie when Nicholas Meyer purposely made it more military by using military style uniforms and sequences like arming weapons and running across steel floors to battlestations, etc.

For a major motion picture Trek movie to be successful, it really needs to be darker and grittier.

People always prefer dark-sci fi of gritty warfare or flawed characters rather than the the floating United Nations of purple carpet and matching pastel uniforms that Roddenberry's dream seemed to be.

Even Paramount realized this and basically kicked Roddenberry off Star Trek II completely because the first one did poorly compared to its huge budget. And guess what? That turned out to be the favorite Trek movie when Nicholas Meyer purposely made it more military by using military style uniforms and sequences like arming weapons and running across steel floors to battlestations, etc.

For a major motion picture Trek movie to be successful, it really needs to be darker and grittier.

408318[/snapback]

So true

Was it that bad? Hm. I can't seem to remember it, so maybe it was, or at least highly unremarkable...

Yes, Nemesis was that bad and unremarkable. Nemsis took a good basic concept (Romulans vs Federation) and mashed it with Wrath of Khan, and failed miserably. It's a real shame that the TNG crew had to go out on a whimper like that film. At least ST VI was worthy of being a Star Trek film. IMO, Nemesis was like someone's bad fanfic that was green lighted.

Yes, Nemesis was that bad and unremarkable.  Nemsis took a good basic concept (Romulans vs Federation) and mashed it with Wrath of Khan, and failed miserably.  It's a real shame that the TNG crew had to go out on a whimper like that film.  At least ST VI was worthy of being a Star Trek film.  IMO, Nemesis was like someone's bad fanfic that was green lighted.

408524[/snapback]

Don't forget the part where Picard decides to RAM the enemy spaceship as a final gesture in a starship battle!!! How fracking lame is that?!?!?

:o