New Star Trek Movie In 2009..

bandit29

Sorry, but I'm going to have to disagree with you there. I actually like Voyager. Well, the characters mostly. Yes the story wasn't the greatest but it was the TNG-era and I'll be damned if I don't love it along with the other two shows.

I liked the doctor and Chakotay. The rest of the characters were a little weak.

And I actually liked Enterprise. I watched it expecting to hate it for all it the continuity issues it was likely to cause, but I kept an open mind and taken at face value some of the stories were pretty interesting, and I really liked the crew.

And I actually liked Enterprise. I watched it expecting to hate it for all it the continuity issues it was likely to cause, but I kept an open mind and taken at face value some of the stories were pretty interesting, and I really liked the crew.

I'll admit that I never really went out of my way to watch a lot of Enterprise. T'Pol is hot. ;) I just don't like how they muddled with the continuity so much. Transporters? Ships are more advanced looking than they are 100 years later? The Enterprise looks like the Akira? Boo I say!

I'll admit that I never really went out of my way to watch a lot of Enterprise. T'Pol is hot. ;) I just don't like how they muddled with the continuity so much. Transporters? Ships are more advanced looking than they are 100 years later? The Enterprise looks like the Akira? Boo I say!

What we could end up with is a new film that is more in continuity with Enterprise than the rest of the franchise, which would then spawn some sort of reboot as they make more films to follow the slightly different time line/ideas. It would revive the Startrek franchise. Make it darker (al la new BSG) make it more realistic ie space is just plain dangerous to working, and ditch the press a button to fix everything or that "lets reprogramme the Deflector to produce a....." etc that TNG used everyweek.

I could see John Cho as Sulu and Simon Pegg as Scotty. I don't know about that Spock, though.

As for the April Fool's Enterprise, aside from the phaser turrets, it's honestly not too bad. For a reboot, it does sorta look like it could fill the gap between Enterprise and the TNG era.

I fail miserably to comprehend how you can possibly see any remote hint of Sulu and Scotty in Cho (asides from being Asian) and (Pegg), while dismissing Quintos's resemblance to Nimoy's Spock.

One of us must be suffering from demolecularization effects of frequent transporting. :)

The new Chekov, looks a bit under-aged...

The new Uhura, while bearing little resemblance to Nichols, is much hotter than her predecessor.

Chakotay got lucky his Maquis theme wasn't overplayed like Worf's "Look ma I'm Klingon, honor honor" theme.

Voyager would've been rated much better if Neelix and Kes were replaced with deeper, more respectable characters. I'm good with the rest of the crew.

Enterprise...er...T'Pol is every bit as..."competent" as Seven...Phlox and his culture was interesting, Hoshi's OK...the rest of the crew, however, were forgettable. Even the Andorian stuck out more. The first 2 seasons were decent, but last 2 seasons really sucked in its failed attempt to perhaps recreate a Dominion War-like theme.

Edited by John Focker

I fail miserably to comprehend how you can possibly see any remote hint of Sulu and Scotty in Cho (asides from being Asian) and (Pegg), while dismissing Quintos's resemblance to Nimoy's Spock.

One of us must be suffering from demolecularization effects of frequent transporting. :)

The new Uhura, while bearing little resemblance to Nichols, is much hotter than her predecessor.

I wasn't surprised with the casting of cho as sulu.. it just continues hollywoods trend of casting koreans as japanese characters.

What we could end up with is a new film that is more in continuity with Enterprise than the rest of the franchise, which would then spawn some sort of reboot as they make more films to follow the slightly different time line/ideas. It would revive the Startrek franchise. Make it darker (al la new BSG) make it more realistic ie space is just plain dangerous to working, and ditch the press a button to fix everything or that "lets reprogramme the Deflector to produce a....." etc that TNG used everyweek.

Battlestar Galactica didn't have FOUR (assuming Enterprise would be part of the reboot) series of TV shows and 10 motion pictures when they decided to reboot. I'm going to be quite angry if they decide to throw that out the window in an attempt to have a reboot like Galactica. Galactica was a campy show that ran how many seasons and to top it off it had a minute fanbase.

EDIT: Ah forgot about Voyager. I like the Doctor, Chakotay, Tuvok, and to a lesser extent Kim and Paris. Tim Russ (Tuvok) is an awesome guy, and I only recently realized that he's the trooper in Spaceballs who is combing the desert and says, "We aint found poo!"

Edited by meh_cd

Well, like I said, from the picture, the only resemblance I see between Quinto and Spock is that they both have black hair. I do reserve final judgment until I see him after a shave and with a straight look on his face.

As for Cho and Sulu, they both have short, square faces with angular cheeks. I can't think of any Asian actor, regardless of nationality, that looks more like Sulu, short of George Takei himself.

Finally, I don't see any physical resemblance between Pegg and Scotty at all. But I can see him taking the role, making it is own, and pulling it off really well.

As for Cho and Sulu, they both have short, square faces with angular cheeks. I can't think of any Asian actor, regardless of nationality, that looks more like Sulu, short of George Takei himself.

Heh. I know we asians all look alike... but Cho and Takei don't resemble each other much at all-- you'd probably get a slightly better Sulu from B.D. Wong, though he's quite a bit older. Even Daniel Dae Kim would work better. Cho has an entirely different look.

I'm not sure I'm going to see a Spock in Sylar. I'll be screaming "watch out! He'll eat your brain!" everytime he closes in for a vulcan nerve pinch. He does bear a closer resemblance to Nimoy than the others do to their precessors though.

Edited by Sundown

Enterprise...er...T'Pol is every bit as..."competent" as Seven...

Not IMHO. In both looks and acting, I think Jeri Ryan's far superior. I consistently found T'Pol to simply be bitchy, not cold/emotionless. Seven was a better Vulcan, ironically. :)

Even Daniel Dae Kim would work better. Cho has an entirely different look.

I've always called him "Asian Conan Obrien," but I agree, he'd be a better choice. Though it totally boggles the mind why they wouldn't hire a Japanese actor...

Edited by Keith

I've always called him "Asian Conan Obrien," but I agree, he'd be a better choice. Though it totally boggles the mind why they wouldn't hire a Japanese actor...

because star trek casting demands that they hire korean actors to play all asian ethnicities OTHER than korean.

Hah, now that you mention it, he does have Conan's guant jaw thing from the eyes down. Now all you need is to enlarge his head to grotesque proportions and give him a frock of red hair.

Quick Macross geeky note for those not aware:

Sulu's first name is Hikaru.

I recall hearing of the character's first name long ago. But after seeing Macross, I never put 2 and 2 together... d'oh!

USS Enterprise, captained by James T. Kirk. With a host of MORE Bridge Bunnies.

/kirkapproval

Not IMHO. In both looks and acting, I think Jeri Ryan's far superior. I consistently found T'Pol to simply be battyy, not cold/emotionless. Seven was a better Vulcan, ironically. :)

Agreed. T'pol and the general depiction of Vulcan's was the ai thing that turned me off from Enterprise. My sister also pointed out how hard it tried to "barrow" from the other series.

Thanks for that, that's probably one of the funniest things I've seen on the internet in a LONG time!

Who the hell is Chris Pine?

Some guy who, by the looks of things, is yet to more than a bit part in anything bigger than The Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement.

Edited by mikeszekely

Who the hell is Chris Pine?

All I know is he's the son of Robert "CHiPs" Pine (the guy who played the "by-the-book" captain).