New Star Trek Movie In 2009..

bandit29

You don't read too well these days, do you? I despise all reboots as unncessary and posted to that effect already.

And you keep dancing around the point and/or pretending not to understand it. You apparently don't mind canon and/or pre-existing movies being f-ed with, unless they actually call them a "reboot". . . then suddenly they're fit to be "despised" as "rubbish." Yet I daresay Lucas could not have done more "damage" to how many SW fans view the original trilogy had he indeed done a "reboot" and called it such. So, to you, reboots are "bad." But mangling things without actually calling it a "reboot" is apparently good. :rolleyes:

You should probably tone down the defensive vitriol

Have you looked in the mirror lately? Every time Star Wars comes up, you. . . oh f--k it. Nevermind, I'm not going to waste any more time on you. I couldn't possibly respect anyone's opinion less. Every time we have ever discussed SW you have demonstrated again and again that you are indeed the real hopeless, obsessed fanboy that you so regularly and hipocritically accuse others of being because they actually have the temerity to critique your beloved prequels (or even RotJ). Indeed, you've demonstrated repeatedly that you actually pride yourself on being completely undiscriminating in your taste in movies (especially SW movies). That's not a dig. . . that's just the proper word that describes someone who for years now has stated that he is unable to differentiate/discriminate between a fart joke and a one-liner. . . or a Jar-Jar and an R2-D2 ("They're both there for comic relief! They're no different!"). What point is there in discussing something with someone who not only can't discriminate between not-so-subtle differences in various movies, but also then angrily, arrogantly, and condescendingly attacks anyone who does point out fundamental differences that are painfully obvious to anyone not blinded by either fanatical devotion or just plain terrible taste (or in your case, probably both).

So, is it f--ked up of me to say that you have terrible taste in movies or that you are incredibly undiscriminating? Oh well. Sue me. I don't really give a f--k. You've taunted, and condescended enough for so long that I no longer feel it necessary to remain cordial when addressing what you attempt to pass off as arguments. I don't argue with people whose opinions I don't respect. So you can go get all butt-hurt at someone else for not liking your beloved prequels, or ewoks, or your essay on midichlorians. Cuz I certainly don't give a sh*t anymore. So if you ever wonder why I haven't responded to your taunts or inane attempts at cogent arguments in the future, that's why.

And if anyone on staff wants to discipline me for the "defensive vitriol" above. . . go right ahead. I demoted myself earlier today so you're free to do so.

H

Edited by Hurin

At this point in time, Hollywood is going to do lots of stuff that people aren't going to like. Star Trek included. I may complain about designs or continuity and whatnot, but in the end, I'm not going to let it get to me. Who knows where this movie is gonna go. Whether or not I'll like or not hasn't been decided since I haven't watched the damn movie.

LOL, at this point in time? :) Seriously, Hollywood has always been making stuff that enrages people since before we were all born. That's the nature of the biz.

IMO, they couldn't have done anything but this kind of prequel/reboot Star Trek movie. The last series was canceled, the last movie was a bomb, and the existing Trek has obviously played itself out. If they wanted to do anything else with the property it had to be a new cast, new story, different take on the original themes. That's all assuming they should do a new movie and the jury's still out on that one :)

If they wanted to do anything else with the property it had to be a new cast, new story, different take on the original themes. That's all assuming they should do a new movie and the jury's still out on that one :)

We'll find out whether or not this was a good idea on May 8th, 2009. :)

it's when the great star trek fanboy civil war breaks out :p

That Civil War has already started. The best way to look at it is that right now we are in the skirmish stage and May 8 will be when the conflict goes nuclear. Few, if any, will survive unscathed.

Taksraven

That Civil War has already started. The best way to look at it is that right now we are in the skirmish stage and May 8 will be when the conflict goes nuclear. Few, if any, will survive unscathed.

Taksraven

will there be treckies in full "real" TOS uniforms protesting outside theaters waving their original phaser props at people and going "pew-pew" at the people standing in line wearing the new TOS uniforms?

Are there midichlorians in this movie?

I just saw the trailer and reboot or not, one thing really bothers me. Construction of the Enterprise on Earth is utterly retarded. The NX-01 was constructed in space, all of a sudden their building them on the surface? And besides that, the shipyard looks like @$$. I feel insulted that Hollywood/Abrams is trying to pass this off to Star Trek fans as entertainment. I love the one Authorized Personnel sign...what? Really? Authorized personnel only, you don't say? I've seen more security at McDonald's.

Edited by peter

I just saw the trailer and reboot or not, one thing really bothers me. Construction of the Enterprise on Earth is utterly retarded. The NX-01 was constructed in space, all of a sudden their building them on the surface?

Everybody is picking up on this point and I'm afraid that I have to agree, it does seem pretty stupid to be building such a ship on Earth.

BUT!

Is the real reason going to be just to increase the drama. I remember the start of Star Blazers/ Space Battleship Yamato when the Yamato is launched from Earths surface under enemy fire. Maybe it will be like that?

Taksraven

Everybody is picking up on this point and I'm afraid that I have to agree, it does seem pretty stupid to be building such a ship on Earth.

BUT!

Is the real reason going to be just to increase the drama. I remember the start of Star Blazers/ Space Battleship Yamato when the Yamato is launched from Earths surface under enemy fire. Maybe it will be like that?

Taksraven

it's probably just so they can have that shot of kirk looking out and seeing the enterprise.

will there be treckies in full "real" TOS uniforms protesting outside theaters waving their original phaser props at people and going "pew-pew" at the people standing in line wearing the new TOS uniforms?

Trekkies civil war will probably be far more interesting to watch. :ph34r:

Yo, big H, I apparently got deep under your skin and didn't really intend that. Might not mean anything, but I apologize if I inadvertently yanked your chain too hard... never had any intentions of acrimony. I submit to your wisdom on all things SW and that Lucas is horrible at scripts, writing, and everything else outside of his mastery at cinematography and SFX. Peace, Thalion.

it's probably just so they can have that shot of kirk looking out and seeing the enterprise.

Yup, you got it. That's apparently the main reason for most of the changes, most likely: so they look cool. The iBridge still looks more like a cell phone/gadget store in Akihabara or Chinatown or than any sort of starship command center (a "realistic" reboot ala BSG would make it more like a submarine, if anything. Get that cramped utilitarian feel where every bit of space is used and volume should be just as valuable as mass and power (think of all the wasted air in that space above their heads on the bridge that needs to be oxygenated and heated and that they could be using for storage, piping, etc).

Yup, you got it. That's apparently the main reason for most of the changes, most likely: so they look cool. The iBridge still looks more like a cell phone/gadget store in Akihabara or Chinatown or than any sort of starship command center (a "realistic" reboot ala BSG would make it more like a submarine, if anything. Get that cramped utilitarian feel where every bit of space is used and volume should be just as valuable as mass and power (think of all the wasted air in that space above their heads on the bridge that needs to be oxygenated and heated and that they could be using for storage, piping, etc).

meh, most everything Trek has ever done was in the name of looking cool. utilitarian and functional has never been part of the Trek design aesthetic.

BUT!

Taksraven

saraba chikyuu yo tabidatsu fune wa

uchuu senkan ENTERPRISE!

The Klingons guard looks like a bunch of Predators, and "Cloverfield" type monsters? I have to admit I found it exciting to have more monsters on Trek since I refused to accept that all aliens on Trek universe is mostly humanoid. ^_^

The Klingons guard looks like a bunch of Predators, and "Cloverfield" type monsters? I have to admit I found it exciting to have more monsters on Trek since I refused to accept that all aliens on Trek universe is mostly humanoid. ^_^

That was already explained in TNG. The Protoculture took a stroll around the ST universe, and seeded all their planets too.

That was already explained in TNG. The Protoculture took a stroll around the ST universe, and seeded all their planets too.

Yeah, I know that episode when Picard went Indiana Jones, I think its about time to add more monsters to Trek Universe like Tribbles variant :lol:

I just saw the trailer and reboot or not, one thing really bothers me. Construction of the Enterprise on Earth is utterly retarded. The NX-01 was constructed in space, all of a sudden their building them on the surface? And besides that, the shipyard looks like @$$. I feel insulted that Hollywood/Abrams is trying to pass this off to Star Trek fans as entertainment. I love the one Authorized Personnel sign...what? Really? Authorized personnel only, you don't say? I've seen more security at McDonald's.

Well, for delicate things that require even more delicate construction, building in space would be logical.

But something that would undergo the kind of stess that a starship would undergo would probably benefit from being constucted on Earth.

Edited by Alex

Well, for delicate things that require even more delicate construction, building in space would be logical.

But something that would undergo the kind of stess that a starship would undergo would probably benefit from being constucted on Earth.

Ok seriosuly, do you enjoy talking out of your rectum? Any starship would be constructed in space not on planet, no matter the stresses involved. Look at even modern day fighter manufacturing, the certain components of the eurofighter can only be built at certain times of the month when the moons gravitation pull is just right, otherwise they won't meet spec. A starship that travels throughout the galaxy would have even tighter tolerances, and there is no way that you could meet those tolerances on a planet as gravitationally inconsistent as the Earth. The only place such things could be accomplished is in space. And that is only one of many, many, many examples.

Ok seriosuly, do you enjoy talking out of your rectum? Any starship would be constructed in space not on planet, no matter the stresses involved. Look at even modern day fighter manufacturing, the certain components of the eurofighter can only be built at certain times of the month when the moons gravitation pull is just right, otherwise they won't meet spec. A starship that travels throughout the galaxy would have even tighter tolerances, and there is no way that you could meet those tolerances on a planet as gravitationally inconsistent as the Earth. The only place such things could be accomplished is in space. And that is only one of many, many, many examples.

which is rendered completely null by the fact that in the ST universe gravity doesn't work the same way it does in ours... IE, it's a reproducible energy field of some sort... one that humanity has already mastered.

Look at even modern day fighter manufacturing, the certain components of the eurofighter can only be built at certain times of the month when the moons gravitation pull is just right, otherwise they won't meet spec.

Dude, that's because Europeans still believe in stuff like werewolves and vampires. They are so backwards.

p.s.- If I could talk out of my rectum, that would be so awesome.

BTW, those helmets are an interesting way of giving the Klingons their forehead ridges back. :lol:

Speaking of talking out of one's rectum, has there been any hate websites pop up over this new film?

I mean Trekkies used to be the benchmark for obsessive, nitpicking fandom. Is there any websites like pineisnotkirk.com or jtreksucks.com or anything like that?

There has to be some ridiculously critical website about the new Star Trek film, harshly criticizing J.J. Abrams and Co for some minor transgression that no one cares about. I'm in the mood for a good laugh :)

Speaking of talking out of one's rectum, has there been any hate websites pop up over this new film?

I mean Trekkies used to be the benchmark for obsessive, nitpicking fandom. Is there any websites like pineisnotkirk.com or jtreksucks.com or anything like that?

There has to be some ridiculously critical website about the new Star Trek film, harshly criticizing J.J. Abrams and Co for some minor transgression that no one cares about. I'm in the mood for a good laugh :)

Not yet AFAIK, Trekkies civil war will be started on the web, and spread on to conventions....I think I better book the Trekkies convention next year, just for watching the fist fight :rolleyes:

Not yet AFAIK, Trekkies civil war will be started on the web, and spread on to conventions....I think I better book the Trekkies convention next year, just for watching the fist fight :rolleyes:

bunch of fat 30 somethings with their faces scrunched up in a wince while their arms flail around in big sloppy ham fist windmills while they walk slowly at each other in the sweat stained costumes?