Hi-Metal R Fire Bomber (VF-19 Fire Valkyrie, VF-11 MAXL, VF-17T)

sh9000

Do you guys think there's some sort of a deal between Arcadia and Bandai? Because, come on, T-REX may be the designer but it was Mr-K who payed for the design... And this is not the first time it happens 

I've been curious how this works, since both Bandai and Yamato had contracted with T-REX for design work in the past, on multiple designs.  The one that sticks in my mind was always the VF-17 and VF-171, which clearly had other influences in their designs, since they are so profoundly different.

It doesn't exactly surprise me that Bandai is hunting down easy solutions for those designs though, but it is hilarious to me that they're just reproducing Yamato and Arcadia molds in miniature, and in some cases nearly simultaneously with the other larger releases.  Given the price and space differential though, I'm happy to have a cheaper option that's easier to find display space for.

What are we up to, mold-wise now?  Is this the fourth Yamarcadia they've shrunken down?  VF-4, VF-0A/S, VF-0D, and now the VF-19?  I really want to see them pull out the stops and do the entire 7 and Plus lineups.

The designs are probably the intellectual property of TRex and the toy companies lease them and pay a fixed development cost plus a per unit produced amount. Trex probably reduces the fixed cost of some of the engineering that can be carried forward. For the VF-171, Bandai allegedly specified they wanted the you to be as unique as possible and probably paid the full engineering price. They probably have some period of exclusivity included in the initial design work or maybe even a exclusivity ongoing charge they offer.

From Hobby Japan Web.

HJ-24-05-206_2.jpg.4a4a49aa8a86f0530768987f8b56e8cb.jpg

HJ-24-05-206_8.jpg.9d141598368444314392dc50253632d4.jpg

HJ-24-05-206_9_2.jpg.08577f73f749879a7f12383680abdaaa.jpg

HJ-24-05-206_10.jpg.cc7d82e03c7378ea36d7b4255fd1f24f.jpg

HJ-24-05-206_4.jpg.3a4072687170a37eabaf197ea225f740.jpg

From Hobby Japan Web (Web Translated):
Comparison of HI-METAL R version (right) and VF HI-METAL version (left): HI-METAL R's head appears shorter because its proportions are more faithful to the anime setting. The concept of HI-METAL R is to have the same sculpting as the anime setting and to be both variable and movable.

HJ-24-05-206_6.jpg.f4f7ce9aec7dd31cc281e10ec01c60a2.jpg

Looking at the rear view (below), the HI-METAL R version has larger main wings. In its fighter form, it is almost the same size as the VF HI-METAL version!

HJ-24-05-206_7.jpg.d96ab4085aa67aa44affed265b3a6380.jpg

Hope the final version looks as good as the promotional pics. HMR valks are like fast food burgers: smaller, cheaper, and what you end up getting always looks worse than what's shown in the advertisements.

This is a hard pass for me (not a Basara fan), but I'm happy to see that Bandai is giving some HMR love to valks that don't show up in SDFM, DYRL, Frontier, or Delta. I haven't given up hope that we'll get the rest of the Destroids and the Scout. At least the Macross HMR line is still alive....

Edited by Anasazi37

all the pictures look pretty damn good still I'm pretty disappointed for the H Metal R series due to well hmm.... the lack of  METAL!, the valk that make me kinda loose hope for this series was the HMR VF-0S , when I grabbed for the first time the VF 0S I was like what the heck!?, why it feels so light. Like I said HMR Basara pics look pretty damn good and it seems is made with good materials and not thin paper plastic and as a super fan of the YF-19 design(number 1 valk for me) I think will try to get one of these. 

56 minutes ago, CollectorCanine said:

Why are old people so obsessed with toys having metal? lol

It doesn’t matter to me too much as long as metal is used where it makes sense to. Plus, metal is just nice material sometimes even if it doesn’t make sense to use. The funny thing to me is calling a line of toys Hi-Metal when it is mostly Lo-Metal. But yeah, I have every Macross release and most the others too so it clearly doesn’t bother me too much. 

To me, the worst thing you can do in a transforming toy is to throw in copious amounts of painted metal just to make it feel heavy.  Bare metal?  Fine.  Just don't go painting all of the parts that have to grind on each other to function, because that's the quickest way to ensure it stays in the box forever.

Really though, I prefer plastic all around, because when metal pieces break, you are pretty much SOL for repairs.

Edited by Chronocidal

4 hours ago, CollectorCanine said:

Why are old people so obsessed with toys having metal? lol

I think is not about being old lol, is about trying to get a good quality figure for the amount of cash you are spending, in my opinion we just can't call these simple toys, I mean the size of it and still paying more than 100 smackers for it well then you at least must get some quality in it right?, in plastic,  heft and not a hallow figure, also is not like you are going to your local Walmart and spend 30 plus dlls or less in a Legacy Evolution Series transformers, or how about a MOTU figure for just 14.99. So I don't mean the figure had to have an internal Metal Build series type of thing of course, Bandai should just put the correct amount of diecast in placed were it should be and make the figure feel its worth the price of admission, Bandai knows how to do it no doubt, like DX Chogokin lines, Metal Build, Soul of Chogokin, Metal Robot series, so not sure why can't do the same for the HMR line. 

8 minutes ago, Alex GS said:

I think is not about being old lol, is about trying to get a good quality figure for the amount of cash you are spending, in my opinion we just can't call these simple toys, I mean the size of it and still paying more than 100 smackers for it well then you at least must get some quality in it right?, in plastic,  heft and not a hallow figure, also is not like you are going to your local Walmart and spend 30 plus dlls or less in a Legacy Evolution Series transformers, or how about a MOTU figure for just 14.99. So I don't mean the figure had to have an internal Metal Build series type of thing of course, Bandai should just put the correct amount of diecast in placed were it should be and make the figure feel its worth the price of admission, Bandai knows how to do it no doubt, like DX Chogokin lines, Metal Build, Soul of Chogokin, Metal Robot series, so not sure why can't do the same for the HMR line. 

At this size, metal is really not useful for anything more than they've already been using it for.  Anyone who owns any of the early DX Chogokin releases will be able to tell you that the metal parts are a stark mismatch in molding quality, and that was on figures almost twice as big. 

Internals are fine, but all the larger parts accomplish is losing paint with every transformation.  All of the DX VF-25 figures (and the YF-29s) have die-cast hips, and they're not helpful for anything.  They finally got it right when they went to plastic intakes on the DX VF-1 and VF-31, while keeping the internal hinges metal.

I'm happy to see the internal joints and hinges made from metal on things like the HMR VF-1s and VF-0s, but making anything more than that die-cast is asking for it to just look horrible, both from sloppier molding, and lost paint.

12 hours ago, Anasazi37 said:

This is a hard pass for me (not a Basara fan), but I'm happy to see that Bandai is giving some HMR love to valks that don't show up in SDFM, DYRL, Frontier, or Delta. I haven't given up hope that we'll get the rest of the Destroids and the Scout. At least the Macross HMR line is still alive....

I'd love some HMRs from Frontier

The use of metal only in the places where it's needed for durability/function is something I can get behind. Making a bunch of parts metal just because only adds more stress and weight on the joints. I'd rather have metal pins and joints holding light flexible plastic that won't make the joints end up drooping in a few years.

Metal feet are nice too, as they help stabilize the battroid form, and don't generally need to be painted over.

Most of the plastic panels we wouldn't want them to be steel due to weight, and absolutely not aluminum as they'd dent and break on top of costing 3x as much, if not more.

More and more I'm reluctant to handle the Arcadia 1/60's much for various reasons, and these HMRs are a perfect antidote to that. In my mind the VF-0s and VF-4s are really scaled down Arcadia's and despite lack of metal, they are robust, have good tolerances and great for repeated handling. The VF-19 Kai looks to continue this trend and can't wait to eventually hold it in my hands. 

I'll definitely be picking up this release at some point....but passing on both PO night and day...

The last few releaes have actually sold for less than purchasing directly from Japan....so I'll just wait...I can definitely see the clown prince of VFs getting discounted in the future, perhaps by Black Friday or Xmas...

At this point, the only releases I will act on quickly, for now, will only be SDFM and DYRL PO's...as we still don't have much of a choice on them....

On 3/30/2024 at 4:57 AM, no3Ljm said:

From Hobby Japan Web (Web Translated):
Comparison of HI-METAL R version (right) and VF HI-METAL version (left): HI-METAL R's head appears shorter because its proportions are more faithful to the anime setting. The concept of HI-METAL R is to have the same sculpting as the anime setting and to be both variable and movable.

HJ-24-05-206_6.jpg.f4f7ce9aec7dd31cc281e10ec01c60a2.jpg

Looking at the rear view (below), the HI-METAL R version has larger main wings. In its fighter form, it is almost the same size as the VF HI-METAL version!

HJ-24-05-206_7.jpg.d96ab4085aa67aa44affed265b3a6380.jpg

I may be alone on this, but the legs on the HMR look worse compared to the previous version. It lacks the right contours, curvature and tapering towards the feet, making it look very "puffy" – the front part of the feet are barely visible and unsightly angular cutout along the inner legs is not helping it either.

Also the arm proportions don't look right at all, they are reaching down to the lower legs!? Makes the HMR VF-19 look clumsy.

4 hours ago, lechuck said:

I may be alone on this, but the legs on the HMR look worse compared to the previous version. It lacks the right contours, curvature and tapering towards the feet, making it look very "puffy" – the front part of the feet are barely visible and unsightly angular cutout along the inner legs is not helping it either.

Also the arm proportions don't look right at all, they are reaching down to the lower legs!? Makes the HMR VF-19 look clumsy.

The arms do look goofy, but I'm not sure why.  Maybe the huge hands?  There also might be some mistransformation going on as well.

The legs though, yeah, have to agree, but that's what you get adapting the Yamato 1/60 mold, and all the benefits and detriments associated with it.  The original HM didn't have to worry about making room for gear or missile bays, and didn't deal with the whole extension gimmick, so they could be much slimmer.

Having the entire gear bay molded in is fancier, but I actually wish they would go back to swapping the gear doors out like they did on the VF-1.  Having those giant door hinges sticking out isn't doing the design any favors when scaled down like this.

53 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

The arms do look goofy, but I'm not sure why.  Maybe the huge hands?  There also might be some mistransformation going on as well

They’re a bit scrawny….., maybe more than a bit

5 hours ago, lechuck said:

I like them both but I was thinking after seeing the comparison pics that I’d keep the HM in Battroid mode most the time and play around with the HMR but leave it mostly in Fighter mode. 

3 hours ago, Big s said:

They’re a bit scrawny….., maybe more than a bit

The scrawny look is probably due to the bicep sleeves not being dropped.. assuming they actually do drop on this version.  The Yamato ones slide down to cover the secondary arm hinge.