Bandai 1/60 DX Chogokin Macross Plus YF-21

Berkut

10 hours ago, Sanity is Optional said:

$200 in 2008 is roughly $280 today after inflation, so the Bandai price isn't terrible in comparison.

I'd also say that the Bandai new version is much more complex than the Yamato one and comes with more extras. It also has an enormous amount of die-cast and tampo, which adds some value. 

By the way, any advice about how to remove the tampo without affecting the plastic?

14 minutes ago, Reïvaj said:

By the way, any advice about how to remove the tampo without affecting the plastic?

@tekering removed the tampographs from the DX 19 (Full Set) on the wings. He also posted what was used, however had to put another thin layer of Black Tamiya paint on to fill in the spots that was removed in the process of removing the tampographs. 

Can anyone post that specific quote from the DX 19 Full Set Thread if found? 

1 hour ago, Reïvaj said:

1 hour ago, borgified said:

@tekering removed the tampographs from the DX 19 (Full Set) on the wings. He also posted what was used, however had to put another thin layer of Black Tamiya paint on to fill in the spots that was removed in the process of removing the tampographs. 

Here you go. :drinks:

Guaranteed that someone will end up using the heavy duty and major strong Goof Off/Goo Gone or any corrosive spirits to burn the paint off and melt the plastic down to the unrepairable state. :blink:

Or take it as battle damage for a diorama display session. 

59 minutes ago, borgified said:

Guaranteed that someone will end up using the heavy duty and major strong Goof Off/Goo Gone or any corrosive spirits to burn the paint off and melt the plastic down to the unrepairable state. :blink:

That someone would be sad..:(

2 hours ago, borgified said:

1 hour ago, Bolt said:

That someone would be sad..:(

Or ends up a legend in MacrossWorld for doing such bold move. :rolleyes:

12 minutes ago, Raikkonen said:

Really curious to know why you want to remove the tampo? 

I think it's mostly ok when seen from above, but I really dislike all the mess that's going around the belly plates. I think the design of the lines is very bad, not to mention they're completely uncanonical.

13 minutes ago, Raikkonen said:

Really curious to know why you want to remove the tampo? 

Not sure if @Reïvaj and I have the same sentiment but we all know that Bandai tends to add a lot of unnecessary markings on their Valks starting with VF-19/YF-19. We're not saying it should be anime-accurate. If it's done in good taste, then I think it's fine. But that General Galaxy on the belly plate, I think it's too much. I don't mind the yellow striping around the plate. But the text and stripe in the center of it, uh-uh.

item_0000014740_w7QKx4K3_104.jpg.488b44c853c3f64d173a13d2b7008c4e.jpg

8 minutes ago, Reïvaj said:

I think it's mostly ok when seen from above, but I really dislike all the mess that's going around the belly plates. I think the design of the lines is very bad, not to mention they're completely uncanonical.

Yeah. I get that striping thing. Yes, it is too much. But it is what it is now, right? It's the only YF-21 in that scale, so I take it as is.

It's either we do some bold moves to remove it down the line, or just leave it. I only want to have that General Galaxy wordings on the plate to be removed to be honest since I don't want to risk messing up the toy once I have it.

Edit: Also, I'm still annoyed with DX YF-19's big bold N.E.T.F.C. :nea:

Edited by no3Ljm

5 hours ago, borgified said:

Yeah, I remembered what @tekering did, kid of a bold move but the result was great!

5 hours ago, Ignacio Ocamica said:

I'll use isopropyl alcohol to get rid of some of the tampo, when I get my YF-21.

There may be a phone call to Mar del Plata to share some ideas...

3 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

Thank you very much, sir!!!

10 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

Not sure if @Reïvaj and I have the same sentiment but we all know that Bandai tends to add a lot of unnecessary markings on their Valks starting with VF-19/YF-19. We're not saying it should be anime-accurate. If it's done in good taste, then I think it's fine. But that General Galaxy on the belly plate, I think it's too much. I don't mind the yellow striping around the plate. But the text and stripe in the center of it, uh-uh.

item_0000014740_w7QKx4K3_104.jpg.488b44c853c3f64d173a13d2b7008c4e.jpg

On the contrary, I could leave some of the lettering, but all that striping... In fighter mode, it looks like it wears a kilt:

EHtpHd1VUAAad_Q.jpeg.5fc72461d5065ed4e3b1599a543bfdba.jpeg

On 12/25/2023 at 2:10 AM, Big s said:

IMG_2351.jpeg.ee455382c1d99169856b4deaf89313cc.jpegI don’t know if it’s the added color or just the angle, but the arms have a thicker look now. There’s a few minor details that are off, but so far it looks really great. If it weren’t so expensive I’d definitely buy at least one, but I’ll settle for the hg kit.

I think it's just the way it's posed and the angle of the shot. The upper arms still look super skinny to me, but the forearms look thicker here because you're getting a 3/4 view seeing the top and side at the same time.

I think if I get this, fighter mode will be displayed without FAST packs and the battroid with FP since it hides the too-short bay doors.

5 hours ago, Reïvaj said:

On the contrary, I could leave some of the lettering, but all that striping... In fighter mode, it looks like it wears a kilt:

EHtpHd1VUAAad_Q.jpeg.5fc72461d5065ed4e3b1599a543bfdba.jpeg

That does look pretty hideous to me. I would strip it all off on the bottom except for the yellow stripe that goes around the engine nozzles. I'm not a fan of the yellow stripes and the 21 on the intake covers either. It's just too much.

8 hours ago, Reïvaj said:

8 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

Aha, thanks for clearing that up. I understand your preferences as I'm like that with other things I collect and build. But on Valks, I'm guilty of wanting this much of Tampo. 

1 hour ago, no3Ljm said:

Hopefully the plastic are all blue and not painted. That way, it's not going to be a big challenge to repaint the blue if ever we made mistake on removing the tampo prints.

So far, it looks like the base plastic is blue and areas like the gray on the lower leg are painted, but with Bandai, I suppose you never know (*cough* Ozma VF-25 *cough*).

41 minutes ago, derex3592 said:

IMHO....Anyone who tries to remove Bandai Tampo on a $300 toy....ESPECIALLY on blue or painted blue plastic.... is either crazy or has way too much $$$ to blow. 🫣

Haha, or just very obsessive. I’d be sad if I had to find an inconsistent (in so many ways) image to compare my toys to enjoy them. But also get that some people gotta do what they gotta do and it’s all good if that floats their boats. 

While Bandai may go a bit overboard with their tampo, IMHO it's a far cry better than the absolute minimum tampo that Yamato/Arcadia does. Their YF-19 V3 original release didn't even have intake markings, which is an essential marking on the majority of valks. I think it came w/ decals to supply them, but so many markings that should have been tampoed as a matter of course weren't. So complain and remove them if you will, but I'll take mine with its full complement of tampoed markings, thanks. I think it makes it more visually appealing. Even my wife thought Bandai's DX YF-21 looked good, and she couldn't care less about my Macross toys. 

14 hours ago, derex3592 said:

IMHO....Anyone who tries to remove Bandai Tampo on a $300 toy....ESPECIALLY on blue or painted blue plastic.... is either crazy or has way too much $$$ to blow. 🫣

I can live with the extra tampo on the VF-1 Strike/Fast Packs. Got used to the DX GBP too (it's not overdone).

But the belly plates from the YF-21 are awful IMHO. They seem to be bare blue plastic, so isopropyl alcohol will remove all the lines, stripes and lettering.

I'm not removing all the tampo but some of it. The YF-21 is my favorite valk and I want it as perfect to my liking as possible.

Edited by Ignacio Ocamica

1 hour ago, Ignacio Ocamica said:

I can live with the extra tampo on the VF-1 Strike/Fast Packs. Got used to the DX GBP too (it's not overdone).

But the belly plates from the YF-21 are awful IMHO. They seem to be bare blue plastic, so isopropyl alcohol will remove all the lines, stripes and lettering.

I'm not removing all the tampo but some of it. The YF-21 is my favorite valk and I want it as perfect to my liking as possible.

That's your prerogative, and in so doing, I wish you every success and it turns out well.

1 hour ago, Reïvaj said:

I think removing tampo is as legitimate as adding decals or clear coating a $300 toy, why not? 

I'm a professional model maker and I do what I want with my toys and money, I'm sure you all too 😉

Absolutely. Unfortunately, we, meaning me, don't all have skills with painting or decaling, so factory applied paint and tampo are extremely welcomed, especially on a high-end toy that costs several hundred bucks.

Bandai does tend to overdo the markings with Macross and Gundamhigh end stuff, but on a toy it usually leaves the option to remove those markings or lines if someone wants to or not.

I tend to do mostly kits and the waterslide packs that do come out are unfortunately more heavy on generic caution markings than emblem or number and alphabet decals in the proper font or size.

At least the toy is marked up with everything needed and people can customize their toy by removing markings or panel lining them and even customizing them how they want. If you paid the cash it’s yours to do what you want or enjoy the item as is.

1 hour ago, M'Kyuun said:

That's your prerogative, and in so doing, I wish you every success and it turns out well.

Absolutely. Unfortunately, we, meaning me, don't all have skills with painting or decaling, so factory applied paint and tampo are extremely welcomed, especially on a high-end toy that costs several hundred bucks.

Absolutely!! I do prefer more tampo instead of a naked valk. But in this case it is too much. Since I'm an experienced model builder I feel comfortable  customizing my toys when/if necesary.

32 minutes ago, Mommar said:

Arcadia we're always wanting more markings, Bandai we plan ahead what we're going to erase.  Lol

It wouldn't be true MW fashion if we didn't complain.