I think you have to divorce what companies do with your money with what you're willing to pay for the product or service. Make your decisions based on what it's worth to you... not what you perceive their costs to be. Otherwise, with a little research, you won't be buying anything from anyone.

I think you have to divorce what companies do with your money with what you're willing to pay for the product or service. Make your decisions based on what it's worth to you... not what you perceive their costs to be. Otherwise, with a little research, you won't be buying anything from anyone.

That's what most, if not all of us are doing.

I think the comment about tax breaks, or whatever, was more about the irony (or maybe absurdity) of the situation.

-b.

Wait.

Commercials too?

Heeeellll no. I just literally laughed out loud.

-b.

Yuuuup

BUT... Never fear.....they are now adding a commercial free option for their service for $9.99 a month instead of the standard $5.99 a month with adds. It bugs me that I think this new show will actually be good too. At least everyone else in the world with a Netflix account will be able to watch the show at no additional cost. Just not Americans.

Chris

That's what most, if not all of us are doing.

I think the comment about tax breaks, or whatever, was more about the irony (or maybe absurdity) of the situation.

-b.

Just so.

I think the part about commercials in a streaming service reflects their business model - the consumer pays for the medium (cable, streaming, and in the case of comics: printing), the ads pay for the content itself.

So... is it a lack of foresight or understanding of the medium on their part that makes them 'have' to include commercials?

never really understood why commercials need to play on a streaming service you're paying for....it's one of two big reasons so many people cancel their cable and dish providers....1) We're sick of commercials, 2) We don't like paying for something and getting commercials. We buy enough crap as it is.

It's. $5 with commercials. $10 without. Lol. I'm sure there are plenty of ways to watch this for free but then it will probably be 1 season. Then again paying a sub with commercials is already BS and likely some millionaire's brilliant idea to F the fans for more money before it's cancelled.

The problem for me isn't paying for a service or whether or not it has commercials. For me it's this notion the networks seem to have that their content is so good that I'm going to pay CBS for their streaming service, and NBC, and HBO, and whoever else, on top of Netflix, on to of Amazon, etc, until I'm paying more in streaming than I ever did for cable.

The frustrating thing is that CBS actually is using Netflix outside the US.

I can't think of anything what CBS has that I really want to see, and as much as I love Star Trek I'm not paying for their streaming service just for Discovery. I'll wait for the Blu-ray, or for it to go on (American) Netflix.

The problem for me isn't paying for a service or whether or not it has commercials. For me it's this notion the networks seem to have that their content is so good that I'm going to pay CBS for their streaming service, and NBC, and HBO, and whoever else, on top of Netflix, on to of Amazon, etc, until I'm paying more in streaming than I ever did for cable.

The frustrating thing is that CBS actually is using Netflix outside the US.

I can't think of anything what CBS has that I really want to see, and as much as I love Star Trek I'm not paying for their streaming service just for Discovery. I'll wait for the Blu-ray, or for it to go on (American) Netflix.

This.

Except I actually do have an issue with the commercials. It's why I cancelled Hulu way back when.

The Star Trek fan part of me wants all things Trek to do well, and for this to be a show worth paying for, but this has literally all the hallmarks of a train wreck in progress.

And happy Anniversary Stark Trek!

-b.

• 1 month later...

I think there is more to this than that are saying. Who gives up being a showrunner for a new Star Trek series especially one you're responsible for creating the premise.

I also think it's very telling that no one has been cast even though shooting starts next month. It's starting to seem like this is tv's equivalent of vapourware. Shouldn't there be casting sheets out by now. Someone would've posted them if they were out.

Read that the show's budget is $5 million per episode and the way the main character concept was designed - female Lt. Commander - is giving the higher ups kittens. I suppose no one who auditioned was right.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't see how she could be the lead, she is older than I am and the character is supposed to be a second in command. Captains might be my age but a first officer my age is on there way out to pasture. Then again maybe the show is about women breaking that "not allowed to captain a starship" glass ceiling mentioned in TOS or they are purposely breaking the Hollywood mold for age discrimination against women. (An example of that would be "The Graduate" where Dustin Hoffman was only five years younger than Anne Bancroft but he played a recent college graduate and she played the mother of a character his age)

She is in very good shape for a woman in her fifties. That last pic however - she does not look like she is in her thirties, which is where a commander should be age wise, any older and they get drummed out of the service. One of those is from her Bond movie which was 20 years ago now. It could be Star Fleet at that time does not follow the "Up or Out" mentality of armed forces today.

Sure hope the character is NOT any relation to a known ST character, I hate that kind of thing. Then again, I'm not paying for another online service to watch it anyway so hopefully it ends up on Netflix or Amazon Prime sometime after release on CBS.