6 hours ago, Sandman said:

We have our captain.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/jason-isaacs-is-star-trek-discoverys-new-captain-but-n-1793044813?utm_campaign=socialflow_io9_facebook&utm_source=io9_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

Here are some rumors about the show. If true it confirms some of my fears i've been feeling.

Interesting that the money netflix paid was enough to pay for the entire shows production costs. If true CBS should be able to make this show awesome if they want.

and if those rumors were proven true... it spells very ill if what-his-face was really fired from Show Runner...

Star Trek is in this weird position where it's owned by, controlled by, and made by a group of people who don't like or know anything about Star Trek or sci-fi but they think they know what's best for it and they f**k it up every time.

One of those rumors just doesn't add up.  Netflix paid an amount equal to the entire production budget for streaming rights.  That makes Netflix INCREDIBLY stupid or the show being made incredibly cheaply.  

Thought I should check the announcement before posting - Netflix also got all the other Star Trek shows in the deal (only one not mentioned was the animated series).  That is an important  distinction that was not mentioned.

Not that I'm expecting this show to do well, putting on the CBS No Access graveyard channel is a bad idea.

11 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

I thought Netflix already has had all of Star Trek for years now?  Unless this is just a renewal of their existing license, and they decided to shell out more for the new series, I don't get why that would even be related to this.

They have it internationally now.  They have had it in the US and perhaps Canada for a couple years now.

9 hours ago, jenius said:

Netflix didn't have ALL the movies previously but I think the shows have been there. I finished Enterprise and am now working through Star Trek TOS when not watching Dougram.

The licensing for the movies and television shows is different though.  CBS owns the show rights, Paramount owns the film rights (although the show is shot on the Paramount lot.)

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/8/2017 at 8:36 PM, jenius said:

Netflix didn't have ALL the movies previously but I think the shows have been there. I finished Enterprise and am now working through Star Trek TOS when not watching Dougram.

Where are you watching dougram? Is it streaming somewhere?

Regarding the Harry Mudd news.....I'm not sure Discovery or Star Trek in general needed Mudd to come back.

20 minutes ago, Sandman said:

Regarding the Harry Mudd news.....I'm not sure Discovery or Star Trek in general needed Mudd to come back.

I can't really say for sure since I never watched the original episodes with him, so it's maybe not the same magnitude of wtf-ness, but this kinda feels like trying sell a new Star Wars show on the premise that Jar-Jar will be back.

This poor, poor franchise. I used to love ST, but some of the decisions that are currently being made are ruining decades of work. The rebooted movies were terrible, and this new show doesn't seem to be a step in the right direction. Even if Discovery is fantastic, I wont be watching watching it due to their blatant money grab from the fans. Not that Discovery will last very long, of course. 

See, while I think the stories and assorted JJ-isms of the new movies are pretty terrible, I do think they've at least got a core cast of good actors for the roles.  They just need some decent writers.  Seriously, everything since Nemesis has played out like some kind of terrible fanfic adaptation.

6 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

See, while I think the stories and assorted JJ-isms of the new movies are pretty terrible, I do think they've at least got a core cast of good actors for the roles.  They just need some decent writers.  Seriously, everything since Nemesis has played out like some kind of terrible fanfic adaptation.

I agree. I would even go further and say that everything after First Contact was bad. It was a chore watching Voyager, and while I would rank Enterprise higher than Voyager, it too fell victim to poor writing. I doubt that we would see anything as near as awesome as DS9 was. It's too bad that it's rated as low as it is by the fans. Thankfully they have that DS9 documentary coming out.

As you said, they DID nail the characters for the rebooted ST. 

• 1 month later...

Ugh... I had a bad feeling about Star Trek: Discovery when I heard it was going to be an exclusive for CBS's proprietary streaming service in the US.

That trailer did nothing to diminish my premonition of Discovery discovering what it's like for a Star Trek series to get canceled after just one season.  Both my parents are Trekkies and I was raised on Star Trek, and not even my profound affection for the franchise is going to compel me to get a CBS All Access membership to watch THAT shabby mess.

(At least this trailer did one thing for me.  I can finally put names to my sense of ill-fitting designs.  The Klingons look like they mugged the Remans from Nemesis and stole their wardrobe and overall design aesthetic, and the Discovery herself looks downright Klingon from the outside and inside looks more like the USS Relativity from the 29th Century than a pre-Constitution-class ship.)

Hmmm. The ship that predates Kirk and Co. by 10 years has crap on its bridge that looks on par with the Abramserprise. 

Uniforms are questionable. I get that CBS wanted to try something that looks futuristic to our contemporary eyes but it really looks like they threw out the baby with the bathwater. 

Another Half-Vulcan trying to come to terms with themself?

I really really dislike the Klingons. They look too similar to each other and their uniform looks too, dunno, clean. I like the casket scene though - looks like they're sending a fellow to Sto'Vo'Kor. 

Love the idea of a female Captain AND XO. About damn time. 

An alien race bred to detect death? Seriously? 

As for Discovery herself, MUCH better then that crap ship shown during the last preview. Still looks unfinished and not nearly as sleek and integrated as the Enterprise- any of them. 

I'll watch the pilot. They have that long to get my attention. 

Oh yes, the "season" length was extended to 15 episodes. A good sign?

That isn't the Discovery in the trailer. That's the Shenzou(sp), Michelle Yeoh's ship. The Discovery is captained by that guy from OA. Can't remember his name at the moment. They are still holding back from showing a lot of stuff.

my impressions: I think it's filmed beautifully but I think it was a mistake to make this 10 years prior to Kirk. It simply doesn't match up design or continuity wise. I really hope those are different type of Klingons rather than a redesign of the current Klingons. It would be better for this to take place in a different time period or just be a remake like it wants to be.

I'll give the pilot a shot and see.  It's a mixed bag.

The Shenzou looks pretty good to me.  Looks like it follows on from the aesthetic established in Enterprise.  I wouldn't be surprised if that ship is considered pretty old by the standards of the day and that's why it still has the rough look.  Or they're just changing the aesthetic because they can, I would be less happy with that.

Interesting detail, they use the little lines in the transporter effect like in Star Trek VI. 

Very cinematic in shooting style, and the special effects are pretty top notch.  This doesn't look like a television series at all.

Edited by Mommar

29 minutes ago, Sandman said:

my impressions: I think it's filmed beautifully but I think it was a mistake to make this 10 years prior to Kirk. It simply doesn't match up design or continuity wise. I really hope those are different type of Klingons rather than a redesign of the current Klingons. It would be better for this to take place in a different time period or just be a remake like it wants to be.

They probably should have made it closer to the early 2200s (how about 2217 :p ).  The blue uniforms remind me of Enterprise, but the separated jacket and pants feels closer to heading toward the 2-piece uniform of TOS

This has been a common thing people on the internet have been saying and I disagree, the Orville trailer looked painfully stupid and aside from Animated shows Seth MacFarlane has HORRIBLE comedic timing.  I think people want to hate Discovery so much they're overlooking the fact that nothing in the Orville trailer was funny at all.

23 minutes ago, TangledThorns said:

The Orville trailer seemed more interesting and more Star Trek like than Discovery, and its a sci-fi spoof!

Yeah, this one came out of left field. Be interesting to see how this does considering it was most likely made well after Discovery's announcement. So if Seth makes a better Star Trek in a shorter time then CBS I'm just going to lol. As well as while watching it as it seems like like a balance between Star Trek and Galaxy Quest.