What? When has that been cannon?

Turnabout Intruder - Direct quote. A whole long discussion on it here where at least some trekkies try to claim it was only the delusional mind of Janice Lester - but as is rightly pointed out Kirk does not contradict her and instead sympathizes.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=105x8987229

What? When has that been cannon?

The very last EP of TOS, Turnabout Intruder. A woman denied captaincy because of gender forces a body-swap with Kirk. Personally, I think this is a big of canon that can be forgotten.

On another note, does anyone who not like diversity not want aliens on the show? Aliens are pretty divers already, but if nobody wants that, I guess they can do a Star Trek series without any.

If I remember Turnabout Intruder right -- it's been years since I watched any TOS -- It was never implied that women could not be captains or even that they were discouraged from doing so. Janice Lester was denied promotion to captain and command of her own starship because she was deemed unstable by Starfleet... and how right they were in their assessment of her qualifications and temperament; the discrimination she blamed for her failures and as justification of her paranoia and gender issues (self hatred) was all in her own mind.

Edited by mechaninac

Is the ENTERPRISE show not canon? Wasn't NX-02 captained by a woman in that series? Does newer/more recent canon over-ride older?

Only in a Dr. Who sort of way. You know, the kind where 3 different versions of Atlantis exist.

> If I remember Turnabout Intruder right -- it's been years since I watched any TOS -- It was never implied that women could not be captains or even that they were discouraged from doing so

There is a DIRECT quote saying they could not and Kirk did not contradict the one making the quote. So no, women could not be captains in TOS. As pointed out by Petro - the powers that be decided to ignore it in Enterprise.

Is the ENTERPRISE show not canon? Wasn't NX-02 captained by a woman in that series? Does newer/more recent canon over-ride older?

Enterprise was retconned into a holodeck simulation by the final episode. And that wasn't even the biggest problem with the episode.

Enterprise was retconned into a holodeck simulation by the final episode. And that wasn't even the biggest problem with the episode.

That really pissed me off when I got to that episode.

I'm actually rewatching the whole thing right now and I have to say, it really fukking sucks they cancelled it.

I think the premise was that one episode was a holodeck sim, not the whole series. Which is fine by me, because the series really ended on the episode before. All the finale really did pee in everyone's Cheerios.

I guess I really need to watch Enterprise at some point...right????...just so I get all the jokes??? :lol::ph34r:

You haven't watced it? I don't think it was all that bad. I found it better than Voyager and DS9. Got to really like some of the characters.

You haven't watced it? I don't think it was all that bad. I found it better than Voyager and DS9. Got to really like some of the characters.

I don't even know what to say to this. I mean, yeah, I liked Enterprise. Yeah, I think it's better than Voyager. But better than DS9? That's insanity. TNG isn't even as as good as DS9.

I don't even know what to say to this. I mean, yeah, I liked Enterprise. Yeah, I think it's better than Voyager. But better than DS9? That's insanity. TNG isn't even as as good as DS9.

Hard comparison to make, the best of both of them is very very good while the worst of both of them is very very bad. I really didn't like Enterprise till the 4th season and the mini-arcs while DS9 was horrible till the Dominion war bit kicked in.

Was the dominion war the one where the would talk about a major battle that was going to happen and then cut to Klingon victory songs instead of showing the battle?

Pretty much. They weren't allowed to really pry open Paramount's purse. I mean, when they replaced the Defiant, the replacement got the registry number changed to match the original Defiant so they didn't need to order a new set of CG Defiant clips.

Enterprise was a good series. The best? No. But very good.What I didn't like was the whole Xindi arc. Pretty convoluted and unbelievable in many spots. After that it started going better, especially the xenophobic episode with Weller. REally wish they had given it one more season...

• 2 weeks later...
The trailer makes me think of Star Control II. Wouldn't that be cool?

The borg (or some other enemy) invaded Alpha Quadrant and laid everything waste. The invaders were repelled at great cost, but now people are trying to claw their way back up to what they were before and re-explore the galaxy.

The Discovery is the first new ship built since the great war. The very technologies of space travel needed to be rediscovered. And now it sets out to see what has happened to all the other pockets of Humanity, Romulans, Klingons, Vulcans, and other iconic Star Trek stuff.

The look of the trailer even supports this kind of thing. The Discovery is simultaneously more primitive looking than the NX-01 and more grandiose, kind of like the tooling to make something even as graceful as the NX01 doesn't exist anymore. I think the only time we've ever seen a starship use an asteroid like the one shown as a drydock was in the Enterprise episode where the Tholians have the Defiant, implying the spiffier docks like the drydocks and spacedocks seen in other shows and movies aren't available. Finally there's that logo with the familiar Enterprise/Starfleet arrowhead. Doesn't the texture remind you of a borg cube?

Of course, all of that is just fanciful daydreaming. For some reason the people in charge of Trek have a massive boner for reboots and pre-TOS stuff.

The trailer makes me think of Star Control II. Wouldn't that be cool?
The borg (or some other enemy) invaded Alpha Quadrant and laid everything waste. The invaders were repelled at great cost, but now people are trying to claw their way back up to what they were before and re-explore the galaxy.
The Discovery is the first new ship built since the great war. The very technologies of space travel needed to be rediscovered. And now it sets out to see what has happened to all the other pockets of Humanity, Romulans, Klingons, Vulcans, and other iconic Star Trek stuff.
The look of the trailer even supports this kind of thing. The Discovery is simultaneously more primitive looking than the NX-01 and more grandiose, kind of like the tooling to make something even as graceful as the NX01 doesn't exist anymore. I think the only time we've ever seen a starship use an asteroid like the one shown as a drydock was in the Enterprise episode where the Tholians have the Defiant, implying the spiffier docks like the drydocks and spacedocks seen in other shows and movies aren't available. Finally there's that logo with the familiar Enterprise/Starfleet arrowhead. Doesn't the texture remind you of a borg cube?
Of course, all of that is just fanciful daydreaming. For some reason the people in charge of Trek have a massive boner for reboots and pre-TOS stuff.

If it makes you feel better, Discovery is confirmed to be in the Prime universe. But yeah, pre-TOS.

See though.. problem with that? Pre-TOS, the Starfleet logo was not the Enterprise arrowhead logo. Each ship had its own insignia at that point in time, and it wasn't until much later that Starfleet adopted the Enterprise logo as its own.

Curious to see how they actually try to connect anything there, but I still can't get over how ugly that ship really is. :huh: