I think the last ep of TOS, where they state that women were not starship captains, should be ignored and the example set by Star Trek Enterprise with Captain Erika Hernandez should be adhered to.

I don't, since it is a good issue to go with from the original series not being able to live up to it's full potential. It was more than just that last episode, Number 1 was supposed to be a woman in the original pilot but had to be taken out to make it on the air, ironic for a show that preached equality (granted, Gene Rodenberry tried but was shot down). Running through the theme of breaking down that barrier from the original series would make a great story arch for the show - with good writing of course, bad writing and it will be a death sentence.

It just seamed to be an odd, archaic notion for a show set in the far future with a lot of the equalities mentioned, with of course the mores of the time being the main reason.

Yeah, it was a bridge too far at the time of its production, even for an SF show.

I have no idea how accurate this site is but it says she will play the Captain and not the lead. So much for Canon on the show. From what I hear she is a good choice acting wise (I've only ever seen her in the bond movie that I remember so don't have an opinion on that)

http://hollywood-spy.blogspot.com/2016/11/michelle-yeoh-is-starfleet-captain-in.html

I have no idea how accurate this site is but it says she will play the Captain and not the lead. So much for Canon on the show.

Star Trek canon is a rickety house of cards on the best of days. Pretty much EVERY episode dumps on canon somewhere along the line, it is just a matter of how bad.

That's why I complain about contradictions of entire serieses and species histories instead of single episodes.

(First Contact, you sucked)

Sure, it did. It also completely undermined the entire POINT of the Borg.

Remember when they kidnapped people and assimilated them through surgery instead of by injecting nanites?

Remember when they were a hivemind and their voice came from everywhere in the ship at once, instead of mindless drones serving a queen?

Remember when they were horrifying, monolithic, unstoppable and relentless? Their goal inflexible and resistance was futile?

Yeahp. Something had to be done with them, but the direction chosen was... surprising at best.

American Gods has been one of those shows which they have been trying to get on air since 2011. Fuller came on board that show in 2014. Compared to ST:D which got greenlit fairly quickly, American Gods has taken longer and has needed more care so I'm not shocked he chose AG over ST:D. Fuller probably wanted to sit on ST:D in favor of getting AG on air first. CBS probably didn't like that and made him choose. Fuller still has EP credit and writing credit for eps 1 & 2 for ST:D.

Star Trek can flourish with or without Fuller. That we know. American Gods has more to prove but above that, is a new IP that can grow in any direction.

• 2 weeks later...

We have our lead for Discovery:

http://io9.gizmodo.com/star-trek-discovery-casts-the-walking-deads-sonequa-ma-1790119455?rev=1481758025036&utm_campaign=socialflow_io9_facebook&utm_source=io9_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

I'm disappointed as i can't stand her in the walking dead. I don't think she's a good actress. The rest of the internet doesn't agree though. Most seem happy with this decision.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just finished watching Enterprise last night. Good God that last episode was awful. I found out I'm not a true Trek fan because I really liked the Xindi arc and it's kind of the antithesis of what Star Trek is supposed to be. Even so, I like the idea of more Trek.

Yeah the engines look really different from anything during that era. The saucer looks really similar to the nx. This ship is probably the one Michelle Yeoh captains. I'm really curious about the uniforms. Logically they should look like the cage uniforms but judging from that minor shot they are going for a quite different look.

8 hours ago, hachi said:

Do I need to watch Enterprise before watching Discovery?

God I hope not.  I hated the whole time traveling, Xindi war arc in Enterprise.  The rest, that expanded on original series ideas, was quite good on occasion.

I recall hearing a quote from someone working on Discovery that they would not be falling back on time travel as a plot device within the first season.

I wouldn't think so. But then again, most of Enterprise was pretty good. The Xindi arc was pretty stupid, but before and after... worth a look if you want a little more 'history.' One of the best was probably 'A Mirror, Darkly.' A sequal to 'The Tholian Web' and a prequel to 'Mirror, Mirror.'

34 minutes ago, CoryHolmes said:

I had very low opinions of Enterprise until I rewatched it later.  I binged the series and it was much better, and certainly not worth the hate leveled at it by the internet.  There are some things I would've done differently, but overall it was a nice prequel to the TOS era.

I agree.  The only major problem with it was that they underused some of the cast, especially in the later seasons.  Don't know if that's due to network interference (give us more Trek knife-fights to the death!), or writers not knowing what to do with them...

I think they used the strengths of the cast that they had.  Trip, Archer, T'Pol were the best actors, while the rest were adequate.  Except for Travis, he was abysmal.

The one thing I really wanted more than anything was to see how the multiculturalism of the races that formed the Federation would effect Star Fleet.  Earth's Starfleet already had the rank insignia on the uniforms, I'd have liked to see the Vulcans adding something (maybe the little swooshy bits on the arms to show rank and department in TOS uniforms) and the Tellerties being so visually blind that their uniforms were bright colours (hence why TOS uniforms are so glaringly bright).

Little touches like that would've been so awesome.

ps: Shran was awesome.  No exceptions.

• 1 month later...

We have our captain.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/jason-isaacs-is-star-trek-discoverys-new-captain-but-n-1793044813?utm_campaign=socialflow_io9_facebook&utm_source=io9_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

Here are some rumors about the show. If true it confirms some of my fears i've been feeling.

Interesting that the money netflix paid was enough to pay for the entire shows production costs. If true CBS should be able to make this show awesome if they want.

Edited by Sandman