Godzilla-WB/Legendary production, on DVD/Blu-ray Sept. 16, 2014

2014 Godzilla looks fine to me. Even the toy version looks OK, I guess I'm in the minority thinking that the "old school" Godzilla had a certain goofiness to his look.

-b.

No, you are definitely not alone, the original definitely looked goofy, and over the top unrealistic. It’s sort of like pro wrestling in a way, we know it’s over the top fake, but we still want to watch it.

I’m sure that the new Godzilla will look awesome on the big screen, but so far, the toys have sucked big fat slimy balls. I definitely see gills on the new toy, not sure if this is happening in the film.

Goofy? Yup. Over the top fake? Certainly. I'll be the first to admit I'm biased by sentimentality for the original. Plus, that's been all amped-up of late, thanks in part to repeated re-viewings, as I just got it on DVD a few weeks back...

But, technology limitations of the day aside, the original version is a really, really good movie. It does a damn good job of telling the story, and it has a powerful message that's just as relevant today as it was in the 50's. Don't know if that says so much a good thing about the movie--or a bad thing about humanity, and its utter lack of growth in some aspects.

AFAIK, none have ever had gills. Oddly enough, most--if not all--have had ears though (LOL, do any dinosaurs/reptiles have external, 'pointy' ears?). Go figure.

gojira means gorilla whale...gorilla has ears. that being said he does resemble a reptile primarily even if the inspiration was two mammals.

Edited by Mechapilot77

So all the 2014 Godzilla toys revealed so far look pretty crappy to me, even the recently released shots of the big NECA version look awful. What I'm wondering is when will we see anything about this release, because this is the 2014 Movie Godzilla figure I'm waiting on.

Toy-Fair-2014-Tamashii-SH-Monsterarts-Go

Won't lie, I'm kinda stoked to see this one in theaters myself. But still...

meh. this Godzilla has small feet. <_<

I'm pretty sure that's just the crappy toys for some reason, the shots of his foot from the trailers look good, and normal lol.

No, the '98 Godzilla looked okay. For me the association with that horrible, horrible movie is too much to overcome.

Plus in that comparison shot above he looks like he's grinning this wicked rape sloth smile (if you're not familiar, Google, too many NSFW pics for me to try and find one to post).

+ what Dangard Ace just posted

-b.

Edited by Kanedas Bike

Am I the only one that likes the looks of the 1998 American Godzilla? He's the most "realistic" looking giant radioactive iguana out of all of them. Badass looking and not dude in a suit goofy looking.

Godzilla isn't a radioactive giant iguana though, if you want to get technical he's a highly mutated Godzillasaurus. I think Zilla looked okay for what he was, but as others have said, he was no Godzilla.

Another new spot, I'm dying, I need to see this. Note, pause at 24-25 to have your mind f$%@!#& blown, the King looks fantastic.

WAITAMINUTE! Did he say: "nature has a power to restore balance"?! Does that mean Godzilla could be the good guy?!! I hope so because I miss the days when he was the hero. I know those films are considered silly nowadays, but I loved them as a kid.

WAITAMINUTE! Did he say: "nature has a power to restore balance"?! Does that mean Godzilla could be the good guy?!! I hope so because I miss the days when he was the hero. I know those films are considered silly nowadays, but I loved them as a kid.

Godzilla as a hero? If they go that route I want a Jet Jaguar cameo.

Well Godzilla will be a menace and the military's focus at first, until he has to clean up and kill the MUTOS that man created from his DNA, Godzilla is a massive force of nature, and he WILL restore balance. I do believe by the end of the film mankind will realize we need to chill on Godzilla, he aint so bad, hopefully those rumors about Godzilla 2 focusing on Monster Island will be true.

Edited by Tking22

I think 98 Zilla looks ok too, for a movie monster. But not as Godzilla. Godzilla is meant to be big and chunky, like an Armored VF. Sleek and fast is not his style. He should be stomping on stuff and shrugging off hits, not running away from small arms fire!

It is kind of like if the Japanese remade Superman, and had him use his speed to dodge bullets (which can hurt him) instead of having it bounce off his chest. It will be a sacrilege!!!

It's already been confirmed a while ago there will be two MUTO monsters, one flying type and one ground type. I've seen some of the toys at Target about a week ago, it was the mini destructible sets that come with Godzilla and a MUTO. The MUTOs are indeed insect-like, like a cross between Kumonga, Kamacuras, and Megaguirus, with a hint of Clover from Cloverfield.

godzilla-muto-wc.jpg

WonderCon footage. Watch it before it's taken down.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1q0txr_godzilla_shortfilms

Looks like a rumble with a giant bug-like thing (Definitely not Mothra) in Hawaii.

It's an entirely new monster, we saw it toy form recently:

are you sure you want to see this?

absolutely sure?

ok...

Godzilla_2014_Winged_Muto.jpg