Godzilla-WB/Legendary production, on DVD/Blu-ray Sept. 16, 2014

Had the family watch the trailer last night.

The 6 year old twins and 4 year old had never heard of Godzilla before, and the 11 year old and never seen a movie yet - so they were all entranced.

We watched the trailer probably 8x. Its very well done. Hope the movie proves as good as it looks so far...

Which was the one with Mathew Broderick? If that is the one he speaks of it does not deserve a moment to even be crapped on IMO.

One of the worst movies I have ever seen - totally wasted great special effects. I had to be restrained from walking out.

If I had worked on the great effects for that movie and had to see what they did to it I would have wept like a child.

Almost as big a waste of a great idea and money as Independence Day . . .

Yep - just my opinion, but in generally don't like stupid -- unless its the 3 Stooges or Dumb and Dumber.

Some tool flying an F-16 up into a mother craft yelling yahooo - or Broderick and gang driving a car out of Godzillas mouth has no redeeming value for me. I do realize that many like ID4 though.

"To much is given, much is expected." They were given much budget, marketing push and great special effects - and returned, well, stupid . . .

But I am quite hopeful that this new Godzilla will avoid that and go the more serious route, a la Cloverfield . . .

Edited by DarrinG

I liked Independence Day. Yeah, it was stupid, but it was fun, too.

I agree, and its hard to call it a waste of money when ID4 made back over 10 times what it cost to make.

As for the American Godzilla, I know I'm in the minority but I liked it as a pure giant monster film. As a Godzilla film its utter garbage, but that blow has been softened by ToHo firmly establishing Zilla isn't the same as Godzilla. To be honest I would rather watch 98 Godzilla than some of the other Japanese ones. Godzilla All Monster's Attack(Godzilla's revenge) is sheer torture, Godzilla vs King Ghidorah is convoluted with way too many crappy references to hollywood films, and Godzilla vs Megaguirus is boring at best. Also whoever the **** designed Godzilla Jr in Godzilla vs Space Godzilla needs to be shot.

I agree, and its hard to call it a waste of money when ID4 made back over 10 times what it cost to make.

As for the American Godzilla, I know I'm in the minority but I liked it as a pure giant monster film. As a Godzilla film its utter garbage, but that blow has been softened by ToHo firmly establishing Zilla isn't the same as Godzilla.

^This.

Went to look for the original teaser, found this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lS_VQA1NkA

I can't find the original teaser anywhere, the one with the Oppenhiemer quote....damn, that was one of the most epic teasers I've ever seen and sadly, it's gone.

Edited by peter

Went to look for the original teaser, found this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lS_VQA1NkA

I can't find the original teaser anywhere, the one with the Oppenhiemer quote....damn, that was one of the most epic teasers I've ever seen and sadly, it's g

uuuummm, OK. I don't know what the original was, but what's showing now is actually the beginning of one of the "Always三丁目の夕日" series movies. Godzilla had just been released, and the main boy character was having a dream. Someone spliced in the WB/Legendary logo at the beginning, and that stupid crap at the end.

uuuummm, OK. I don't know what the original was, but what's showing now is actually the beginning of one of the "Always三丁目の夕日" series movies. Godzilla had just been released, and the main boy character was having a dream. Someone spliced in the WB/Legendary logo at the beginning, and that stupid crap at the end.

Yeah, this thing.

http://www.tohokingdom.com/kaiju/godzilla_mill6.html

Sorry, I wasn't very clear. I was trying to find the original teaser with the Oppenheimer quote, but it's gone. I've seen a couple of fans dub the Oppenhiemer quote over the new current trailer, and it's pretty cool, but didn't have the same understanded effect as the original. There was a link to it back on post #46, but it's gone.

Sorry, I wasn't very clear. I was trying to find the original teaser with the Oppenheimer quote, but it's gone. I've seen a couple of fans dub the Oppenhiemer quote over the new current trailer, and it's pretty cool, but didn't have the same understanded effect as the original. There was a link to it back on post #46, but it's gone.

WB/Legendary really clamped down on that original teaser. I'm not sure it's anywhere anymore. I couldn't find it.

To understand where you're going, one should have an appreciation for where you have come from. The review itself is well, too damn long (hell, the original movie wasn't even as long!) and it over-complicates some points where it just doesn't need to. But still gets an A for the sheer amount of detail and info on the original Gojira films.

Edited by reddsun1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

All of this inspired me to get the original (and US ver) on DVD. I always knew the R. Burr version was re-edited--but I never knew just how much so. The Japanese original is so vastly different, but a true classic of the genre. I'd say it easily earns a spot in the top 5 all-time classic sci-fi films, right up there with Forbidden Planet and The Day The Earth Stood Still.

Makes me seriously doubt this new version--with it's Americanized sentiments & viewpoint--could ever hope to fill the colossal footprints of the '54 original, no matter how fancy the CGI may be...

Edited by reddsun1

All of this inspired me to get the original (and US ver) on DVD. I always knew the R. Burr version was re-edited--but I never knew just how much so. The Japanese original is so vastly different, but a true classic of the genre. I'd say it easily earns a spot in the top 5 all-time classic sci-fi films, right up there with Forbidden Planet and The Day The Earth Stood Still.

Makes me seriously doubt this new version--with it's Americanized sentiments & viewpoint--could ever hope to fill the colossal footprints of the '54 original, no matter how fancy the CGI may be...

It is way to early to be commenting on "Americanized sentiments & viewpoint", but I take it you would be the type to call the film a travesty if Godzilla spoke with speech bubbles, danced, flew, and had more wrestling moves than the entire roster of WWE Smackdown, because you know that's the Japanese sentiment and viewpoint most often seen with Godzilla. :p

Let me tell you why I have faith in this film. The Director and script writers are big Godzilla fans, they understand the original material, and understand how classic the original film is. This is a labor of love to them which is why I think they will get it right.

Me, I am just hoping that not too many minutes of this film will be devoted to the usual Hollywood tropes of old officer reminiscing with hero about his dead hero father, hero worries of his wife/girlfriend/kid, unrealistic (yes there is a radioactive dinosaur I know) car chases and peacenik greenie trying to stop the army from nuking Godzilla. Damnit I want that nuke to hit!

I want to see A-10s throw 30mm and Hellfires at it! I want to see AC-130s strafe the bugger! I want to see MLRS, ATGMs, bunker busters, howitzers and tanks and naval railguns at work! Non of that 98 Zilla crap with those pilots and soldiers missing something 100 times the size of a barn.

In short I want to see the entire Honeywell/Boeing/General Dynamics/Raytheon etc catalogues thrown at Godzilla.

Me, I am just hoping that not too many minutes of this film will be devoted to the usual Hollywood tropes of old officer reminiscing with hero about his dead hero father, hero worries of his wife/girlfriend/kid, unrealistic (yes there is a radioactive dinosaur I know) car chases and peacenik greenie trying to stop the army from nuking Godzilla. Damnit I want that nuke to hit!

I want to see A-10s throw 30mm and Hellfires at it! I want to see AC-130s strafe the bugger! I want to see MLRS, ATGMs, bunker busters, howitzers and tanks and naval railguns at work! Non of that 98 Zilla crap with those pilots and soldiers missing something 100 times the size of a barn.

In short I want to see the entire Honeywell/Boeing/General Dynamics/Raytheon etc catalogues thrown at Godzilla.

Goddamit- that sounds like a MOVIE!