CF18

On 4/17/2023 at 8:15 PM, Slave IV said:

They already announced another version.

ADVANCED%20RICK%20A%20kitz-1100x1100.jpg

https://www.kitzconcept.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=86

I've been all in so far on their figures but I might wait before I order this one.

I would only buy this if it came with a giant tuna with removable head.

• 1 month later...
11 hours ago, MKT said:

The price though :wacko:. The Alpha Omega Sheryl Nome Gorgeous ver. now look like bargain in comparison.

But good for anyone getting this. :good:

9 hours ago, Lolicon said:

That is a hella expensive figure 

The Gorgeous figure was listed for 25k¥ when the conversion was roughly 100:1 ($250).  The new figure is listed on Goodsmile in USD as $250 and 29k¥.  Honestly, for such high detail figures, $250 isn't expensive at all.  I was expecting to see $600+ when I clicked. 

I buy a lot of cast off figures from China for $20-50 on occasion based purely on how cool it looks having no knowledge of where it comes from... which I would argue is NOT morally reprehensible because I don't mind repairing or living with flawed figures that would normally go into landfills/oceans.  AITA for not giving my money to a Japanese company making millions off of cheap chinese manufacturing for pennies on the dollar/yen?  Anyway, once I buy them, I look up what they actually are and how much they cost with big surprises every time.  I have one figure that was $1200 new that I got for just $50. :shok:  Most are anywhere from $200-600, but very few are any cheaper, so $250 sounds like the low end to me.  Goodsmile has lines that are cheaper, but never with this much beauty and detail. 

I just wish they'd always do 2 versions; a cheap one with no paint that requires assembly, and an expensive assembled and painted version for those who don't mind the price.  That way there's no cast off market, they sell most of what comes out of the mold, anything that gets messed up in paint can be stripped and sold, and everyone is happy.  The marketing and manufacture of collector stuff just seems stupid to me.

I know these figures are getting more expensive, and normally I'd pull the trigger on these figures, but I'm a bit hesitant simply out of the fact that the figure's face isn't that great. I don't know exactly what it is, but there isn't any sort of expression in the face, and the character that Sheryl expresses doesn't seem to be showing in this figure. Being a huge collector of Sheryl figures, I'll probably still pull the trigger on it, but I can wait for this one.

4 hours ago, Jasonc said:

I know these figures are getting more expensive, and normally I'd pull the trigger on these figures, but I'm a bit hesitant simply out of the fact that the figure's face isn't that great. I don't know exactly what it is, but there isn't any sort of expression in the face, and the character that Sheryl expresses doesn't seem to be showing in this figure. Being a huge collector of Sheryl figures, I'll probably still pull the trigger on it, but I can wait for this one.

You are right...her face seems too "squared". It might be the angle or just the pictures but i definitely need some more evidence in order to pull the trigger on this one.

Edited by Robin-11

19 hours ago, Lolicon said:

Getting Sheryl's face right has been a challenge for figure makers since time immemorial.

This is true. There are only a few that I can say stay true to the look and "attitude" that Sheryl is portrayed as having. I guess I am seeing that lack in this more since these are detailed images at different angles.

19 hours ago, Robin-11 said:

You are right...her face seems too "squared". It might be the angle or just the pictures but i definitely need some more evidence in order to pull the trigger on this one.

In looking at it again after you said that, I think I see the problem. The "squared" face you mentioned seems to be due to her face not being as angled towards the chin area, and also what seems like her face being flattened a little. Her cheeks also look a little fatter, but I'm not sure if that's because of the flattening. 

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Slave IV said:

Yes.  Yes I do. 

In other news, they must be listening because they also just released the bandaged version of Hikaru with a tuna head.  They're also selling the tuna head by itself in BOTH fresh and boiled versions (but not skeletal).  

1/12 ADVANCED ACTION FIGURES SERIES SPECIAL VERSION RICK HUNTER WITH TUNA SET

And, if you're interested in their valks, they also have all 3 for sale for just $190!

51 minutes ago, Pontus said:

Yes.  Yes I do. 

In other news, they must be listening because they also just released the bandaged version of Hikaru with a tuna head.  They're also selling the tuna head by itself in BOTH fresh and boiled versions (but not skeletal).  

1/12 ADVANCED ACTION FIGURES SERIES SPECIAL VERSION RICK HUNTER WITH TUNA SET

And, if you're interested in their valks, they also have all 3 for sale for just $190!

I did not notice this version but if I'm reading the fine print correctly, the versions with the tuna do not come with additional face or hand parts (plus "high quality decoration and accessories"). So unless it was an oversight and it does come with everything the standalone version, you would have to buy each one separately to get everything and that would be annoying as hell.

Sashimi anyone (or Tare Tare in small bite sized pieces)? 😋

That tuna can literally feed a fishing village no questions asked (that is if anyone is not grossed out in eating stuff from the Ocean freshly caught). 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

For ¥30k for a 1/7 figure (not including s&h) is nothing honestly.

A typical 1/6 figure no more cost at least $260-$280 USD and you guys are squawking?? 1/4 scale figures might cost at least $700 USD or more.  

And yet there are very rich collectors that buy higher priced stuff like Prime 1 statue at $2k USD and up. 

I don't know about others, but Macross figures is a secondary line to me. The first are always the valks, and the figures are complementary pieces to the valks so the displays look a bit less mechanical with a bit more warmth? So if the figure prices have rocketed to even much more than the valks, then meh, easily skippable. 

I actually like these two.  Although I will probably never buy them as I generally don't collect figures.  Nor do I have the room to display them.  However, these seem very detailed with a lot of things going on.  Complicated to paint and assemble and looks FRAGILE.  I can see why it is so expensive and I think the price is justified.  I'd be worried about it surviving shipping.

5 hours ago, DewPoint said:

I can see why it is so expensive and I think the price is justified.

Well for me the thing isn't so much about the cost in a vacuum, it's the cost in comparison to other figures I've bought. When I bought Dark Angel Olivia (who despite being listed as 1/8 scale is as big as a normal 1/7) back in 2017 she was 13,800¥. In 2017 exchange rates, that was $122. Adjusting for inflation of the Japanese yen, 13,800¥ in 2017 comes to 14718¥ today, which in today's exchange rates is actually only $101. Converting to USD first and then adjusting for inflation of the dollar, that's $152, whereas 36000¥ in USD today is $247. I get that the world has changed since 2017, but that increase seems like a bit much. Now if she's worth it to you, that's fine, I'm not trying to dissuade you, just explaining why I have a hard time swallowing the price.

Understood. We also don't know what the exchange rate will be when payment is due so it is always a bit of a gamble. The last figure I bought was a GoodSmile one for 7,000 yen new back in the day. I had to give it a lot of thought before pulling the trigger on that buy years ago. Lately I have been seeing some 80,000+ yen figures here and there. The Demon Slayer one comes to mind. I'm not sure where the market is headed for these days. Makes me wonder how many they think they can sell.

• 5 weeks later...
On 9/25/2023 at 12:00 AM, DewPoint said:

As someone who has purchased nearly every Sheryl & Ranka figure ever produced, even I have to balk at those prices. Same release month too, so you'd have to pay for both at once.

They look great, but at that price... I'll wait and see if the yen plummets any further first. :huh:

9 minutes ago, Lolicon said:

As someone who has purchased nearly every Sheryl & Ranka figure ever produced, even I have to balk at those prices. Same release month too, so you'd have to pay for both at once.

They look great, but at that price... I'll wait and see if the yen plummets any further first. :huh:

I'm almost at the same decision. I do like the Shibuya Scramble figures, but I am so far, really impressed with the Lucrea Ranka. That figure is absolutely adorable.