1/60 Macross 7 VF-19S Blazer Valkyrie Emerald Force Unit Announced

GU-11

Well, I found out why one of my knee joints was so loose

The screw was busted inside the joint so there's no tension on the ratchet. I emailed HLJ and I hope they can help me out. The thing is covered in screw caps and I won't be able to fix it without mutilating it. :(

lol what?? Yamato's principle of toys that last?

I love the ankles in battroid... Just love 'em. Gerwalk is no fun... But i'm biased against it since I think it looks like crap on the 19 regarless. Armpit wings ftw.

I find that argument very odd. Regardless of whether it's your favorite or not, it's still a valid form that needs to work as well. For some of us it doesn't and that sucks if we're fans.

Well, I found out why one of my knee joints was so loose

The screw was busted inside the joint so there's no tension on the ratchet. I emailed HLJ and I hope they can help me out. The thing is covered in screw caps and I won't be able to fix it without mutilating it. :(

Holy crap, that really sucks dude.

I guess it was just me and Mommar that got screwed with our specific models. Put my Kai in pic # any of those that you posted, and given a few seconds, the nose would be in the ground, reglardless of surfaces. I tried carpeting, hardwood, tile, granite, marble, etc. (inherently, hard and soft floors), and just nothing.

I on purpose posed mine on a marble countertop, the slickest surface I could find in my appartment and no problems at all with maintaining the pose.

Also, its apparent in those pics that the essence of true gerwalk just isn't being achieved. In all of those pics, the ankles are pointed forwards, relying inherently on solely the sideways bend to achieve stability. In a real, and imo, cooler looking gerwalk, the feet would be parrallel with the rest of the leg, with a bend being placed on the forward and backward moving hinge rather than sideways. Honestly, to me, that sidways bend looks like a n00b failing at the splits.....

Err..........okaaaaay then, so it's not a true Gerwalk unless the sides of the feet are parallel with the side of the leg.....err.........right :rolleyes:

Sure, ball joints are great, but I don't think they fit with yamato's principle of toys that last a long time.

Mwhahahhah.........really? I mean really?????? :ph34r:

ball joints in such a crucial joint are bound to loosen eventually anyways, regardless of initial solidity or not.

lulz, maybe I'm just overthinking this. I just hope the VF-17 joints won't suck as much, and that the v.3 YF-19 goes back to ratchets, as a previous poster mentioned.

Personally, I'm fine with either ball joints or ratchet joints on the ankles. I need to test the rest of My VF-19 toys to see if the ankles are fine in Gerwalk mode, but on the 2 I've tested so far no problems.

Graham

I find that argument very odd. Regardless of whether it's your favorite or not, it's still a valid form that needs to work as well. For some of us it doesn't and that sucks if we're fans.

That wasn't an argument, it was just a statement of personal preference. I really can't say enough good things about these toys in battroid... really phenomenal stuff. Sure, that hump on the chest bothers me a tiny bit but otherwise these toys are just a joy in battroid. For those of you that like GERWALK, which I do not... well, it could be a lot worse... but yeah, it could be better.

Errr...fine, the Gerwalk pose thing was a bit of a stretch, but I wasn't kidding as for the n00b doing the splits imagery in my head :p I don't know, but I would like it if there was actual front and back pivoting in the ankles, for those coolio poses that most Gerwalk's do (like the mid - air stop pose on a stand).

As for the Yamato's long lasting toy principle.....I think it's been a long time coming, and almost there :D

Truth be told, I don't mind ball joints either, as they are really posable, but I just thought that it would be more justifiable to have ratchets in such a crucial area such as the ankle joints

Edit: As for Eugimon's post though, that brings up a whole 'nother sequence of issues :o

Edited by Archer

I don't know, but I would like it if there was actual front and back pivoting in the ankles, for those coolio poses that most Gerwalk's do (like the mid - air stop pose on a stand).

Front and back pivoting is crucial for gerwalk!!

Hello. I've been reading a lot about the "Gerwalk ankle issue" and how the ankles can't be pointed down as much as others would like. But at the same time, I see pics like the ones here that show that the aggressive A-stance pose is indeed possible.

http://gamu-toys.info/goukin/yamato/vf19kaif/vf19kaif02.html

Are you able to replicate these? Or will doing so cause the ankles to loosen as it is being reported?

See, I still don't buy it. The ankle joints don't make a lick of sense.

Why the hell is this possible....

firevalkfoot2.jpg

while forward and back motion is limited to this?

firevalkfoot.jpg

See that pivot mid-way up the ankle? If that were rotated 90 degrees, it would let you point the toe an amazing amount. Instead, we have a joint that allows you to bend the ankles sideways farther than the legs can even be spread. <_<

I just can't believe they would design that joint that way on purpose.

That wasn't an argument, it was just a statement of personal preference. I really can't say enough good things about these toys in battroid... really phenomenal stuff. Sure, that hump on the chest bothers me a tiny bit but otherwise these toys are just a joy in battroid. For those of you that like GERWALK, which I do not... well, it could be a lot worse... but yeah, it could be better.

Alright, you were just the last in a long line who said that same thing and it seemed to be justification. Maybe the issue is limited to me and it isn't as bad as it could be... but at $300 I get to shout very loud when this thing doesn't pose how I like it to. Battroid is rather solid/awesome. I won't deny that. It's what I've left the thing in because I can't pose it in Gerwalk.

Front and back pivoting is crucial for gerwalk!!

To be honest the V2 25 is ball jointed plus it has ratchets and it works beautifully. Why can't the 19 have something similar?

Errr...fine, the Gerwalk pose thing was a bit of a stretch, but I wasn't kidding as for the n00b doing the splits imagery in my head :p I don't know, but I would like it if there was actual front and back pivoting in the ankles, for those coolio poses that most Gerwalk's do (like the mid - air stop pose on a stand).

you mean like this?

post-4286-0-21532400-1323240450_thumb.jpg

firevalkfoot.jpg

I'm going to call shenanigans on this.

I can get significantly more forward and backward movement than that.

IMG_1215.jpgIMG_1214.jpg

Edited by anime52k8

After that Gerwalk test I did on the Kai, I would say I'm okay with either ball or ratchet joints for ankles. I prefer ratchet a bit more, but ball joints won't deter me from getting a good Valk.

After all, I mostly display in Fighter mode and I would mostly opt for having a stand if ever I decide to display in Battroid.

The loosening on my Kai's left ankle was caused by me forcing it before I knew of the hazards of doing so, so it's something that I can accept. At least it's not like Bandai's time-bomb looseness on the some of their DXs.

So, has anyone actually come up with a way to tighten up the loose ankle joints on these other than tightening the screws in the ankles? After messing with mine for quite a bit I'm noticing that the ankle get's increasingly loose as you bend it forward (toe pointing up), and gets tighter as you bend it back (toe pointing down). I've got the ankle screws tightened as much as they can be, I think it's got more to do with the actual shape of the inside of the socket or more likely the plastic hemisphere of the ball itself. Also I've noticed that you pretty much cannot get the ankle apart. I tried to take the foot part and found that while the toe/heel where easy enough to get apart they're connected to the metal ankle piece by a hollow metal pin. It looks like it would be extremely difficult to get the pin out, and even if I could I'm not sure I would be able to get the pin back in given it's shape.

:edit:

I mean seriously, god damn. The pins they used in the feet are diabolical. not only is it a thin metal tube that gives you virtually no surface to push against but they must also do something to expand it once it's been inserted because I can't see any other way they could get the fit so tight and still managed to insert it in the first place.

if it was a regular solid pin like on every other Yamato I'd be able to get the thing apart in my sleep but this thing is just driving me crazy. I'm now terrified to keep trying because there's a 90% chance I'll break the thing, but at the same time I'm even more driven to get the thing apart for no other reason than I refuse to be beaten by a f*cking metal pin.

Edited by anime52k8

If it's a hollow pin I wouldn't try to remove it. I may be wrong but I think these things have someking of "spring" function inside the joint, they apply pressure inside the cavity of the joint making them nearly impossible to put back if you ever manage to take them out

So, has anyone actually come up with a way to tighten up the loose ankle joints on these other than tightening the screws in the ankles? After messing with mine for quite a bit I'm noticing that the ankle get's increasingly loose as you bend it forward (toe pointing up), and gets tighter as you bend it back (toe pointing down). I've got the ankle screws tightened as much as they can be, I think it's got more to do with the actual shape of the inside of the socket or more likely the plastic hemisphere of the ball itself. Also I've noticed that you pretty much cannot get the ankle apart. I tried to take the foot part and found that while the toe/heel where easy enough to get apart they're connected to the metal ankle piece by a hollow metal pin. It looks like it would be extremely difficult to get the pin out, and even if I could I'm not sure I would be able to get the pin back in given it's shape.

I mean seriously, god damn. The pins they used in the feet are diabolical. not only is it a thin metal tube that gives you virtually no surface to push against but they must also do something to expand it once it's been inserted because I can't see any other way they could get the fit so tight and still managed to insert it in the first place.

if it was a regular solid pin like on every other Yamato I'd be able to get the thing apart in my sleep but this thing is just driving me crazy. I'm now terrified to keep trying because there's a 90% chance I'll break the thing, but at the same time I'm even more driven to get the thing apart for no other reason than I refuse to be beaten by a f*cking metal pin.

Could we please have images if possible? The ankles on these toys are the ONLY things that I can think of which are keeping them from being the most perfect toys ever made in the history of everything. I picked up my Bandai VF-27 just now and it's all loose and floppy like a ragdoll.

I agree. If i can doctor mine so it can hold better I'll do it. I'm tempted to try out some nail polish or something just to see but I'm not really the type to dismantle/tinker with this kind of stuff. Until this point I've been lucky (except for the super loose ankles on my Hi-metal VF-1) and haven't had to worry.

I love taking these high end toys apart; I consider it part of the fun. This guy however is absolutely NOT designed to ever be taken apart after it's been put together.

anyways, I was able to back the pin out by a millimeter to get a better look at it. it has a zig-zag seem running down one side with virtually no gap to it. I'm thinking that when they build these things they start with the edges overlapping then shove a metal pin through the thing once it's inserted to spread it out against the walls of the hole and the "teeth" pattern of the seem interlocks it so it won't come loose. If that's the case then I have a better chance of getting it back in as it shouldn't expand once it's pushed all the way out.

anyways I'll try to post pics later.

and I should make it clear that the way the ankles are on mine, even though they're loose in certain positions the toy can still hold most poses just fine, it's only if the toy is leaning forward on it's ankles with both feet pointing the same direction does it give me any problems, and it's not like I ever pose it like that anyways. it's more the fact that I know the problem exists and I'm certain I could fix it if I could just get the toy apart that's eating at the back of my brain.

Edited by anime52k8

So, has anyone actually come up with a way to tighten up the loose ankle joints on these other than tightening the screws in the ankles? After messing with mine for quite a bit I'm noticing that the ankle get's increasingly loose as you bend it forward (toe pointing up), and gets tighter as you bend it back (toe pointing down).

Mine are the same way. The ankles are loose when bent forward but get tighter when angling them back.

You're a brave person to attempt taking that thing apart if you think there's a 90% chance of breaking it :blink:

My Fire Valk's ankles definitely didn't move farther than that pic when I first got it. I had to stretch them out, and now they're only tight at the extremes of their range, unless I go and retighten the screws, which means they revert to that miniscule range in the pic. Anything approaching centered is pure slop after they've been stretched.

Also.. I wish I could slap some sense into the people deciding to use those pins. It seems as if while Bandai has finally taken a few hints from Yamato on aesthetics, Yamato is doing the reverse, and adapting mechanical methods used by Bandai.

Those pins? They're all over the Frontier valks, especially in the shoulder sections. They also are one of the first hinge types to go absolutely wimpy. All the joints using that method on my old v.1 VF-25 and VF-27 are as limp as soggy toast. Even my v.2 Alto is only a couple months old, and the pins like that in the shoulders are already sloppy enough to let the entire arm swing back and forth if I tilt him enough. And I've only transformed that valk a half dozen times at most.

Hopefully Yamato will have better luck with those types of pins, but the fact is.. it's a whole lot easier to compress a hollow pin than a solid one, and over time, those pins will compress, because it's the path of least resistance.

My Fire Valk's ankles definitely didn't move farther than that pic when I first got it. I had to stretch them out, and now they're only tight at the extremes of their range, unless I go and retighten the screws, which means they revert to that miniscule range in the pic. Anything approaching centered is pure slop after they've been stretched.

Also.. I wish I could slap some sense into the people deciding to use those pins. It seems as if while Bandai has finally taken a few hints from Yamato on aesthetics, Yamato is doing the reverse, and adapting mechanical methods used by Bandai.

Those pins? They're all over the Frontier valks, especially in the shoulder sections. They also are one of the first hinge types to go absolutely wimpy. All the joints using that method on my old v.1 VF-25 and VF-27 are as limp as soggy toast. Even my v.2 Alto is only a couple months old, and the pins like that in the shoulders are already sloppy enough to let the entire arm swing back and forth if I tilt him enough. And I've only transformed that valk a half dozen times at most.

Hopefully Yamato will have better luck with those types of pins, but the fact is.. it's a whole lot easier to compress a hollow pin than a solid one, and over time, those pins will compress, because it's the path of least resistance.

Does that mean there's a chance if i tighten the screws on my ankles it may hold better in Gerwalk? I don't want to overtighten/stress something or wind up making it worse in some other area.

Just picked up mine, and much like the Kai, this is yet again another perfectly flawless release.

This is the valk of the year for me. Nothing comes close to the ingenuity, craftsmanship, design, and solid QC of this piece. No complaints whatsoever. Solid 10/10! :D Bring on the VF-17! ^^

The only annoyance I had was the amount of release-mold grease/oil on the figure which was very easy to clean off. It seems to be a common thing with valks these days. My Kai, Bandai's VF-29 and VF-25 all had the same thing.

And now, crappy-smartphone-photos-of-VF-19S-standing-with-one-leg-on-messy-work-desk.jpg

post-4879-0-02765100-1323288181_thumb.jpg

Definitely looks bad ass. I wish Yamato would use nothing but ratcheted joints. Don't mind if there's a ball in between the ratchets/detents, though.