1/60 Macross 7 VF-19S Blazer Valkyrie Emerald Force Unit Announced

GU-11

Well pics are great and all. But there's something about seeing new toys in motion that gives you a better sense of how they look overall, so video reviews are always appreciated. And it might be very similar to the Kai but there are enough differences in the sculpt and paint job to make watching a video review worth it for me. Hint hint

Woohoo, just picked mine up, it arrived at the Fedex depot early this morning. ^_^ Looking beautiful, and the blue is absolutely gorgeous. Haven't transformed it yet, but I might not bother, I just love the fighter on this mold so much.

One thing though.. I'm not sure if this is a problem or not, but.. Ok here's the thing. Graham, you might want to bring this up to Yamato before any more VF-19's come out.

I personally think that these wings are too thin. As in, the molds are so tight, there's almost not enough room for the plastic to flow in and actually fill out the wing. We're talking the wing almost looks like an incomplete shape (the back edges of mine are scalloped around the control surface engravings, it's definitely not a straight edge), it flexes extremely easily, and I can see light through the edges. I definitely appreciate the precision of the mold, but I'm worried the back edge of the wing is just going to snap off because of how little plastic is there.

Edit: Oh, also, the small amount of plastic does seem to have let the wings warp a bit. They don't meet up with the tails nearly as well as the Fire Valk's wings did. They're not flapping, or drooping, but they seem to have gained a bit of extra camber.

I may eventually go ahead and cut myself some wings from scratch plastic, just so they're sturdier. I want to anyway for the P, so maybe I'll just get a jump on the release and see how tricky it is to make spare wings.

Aside from that though, it looks pretty much perfect. Did have some mold release on it, but I'm wiping it off as I swoosh it around my office. ^_^

Edited by Chronocidal

Well pics are great and all. But there's something about seeing new toys in motion that gives you a better sense of how they look overall, so video reviews are always appreciated. And it might be very similar to the Kai but there are enough differences in the sculpt and paint job to make watching a video review worth it for me. Hint hint

I'm gonna leave shooting that video to someone with more free time but I'll keep it in mind for the VF-19P release.

!ust curious, why would you want a video review? It's the vf19kai with a cooler head and fewer gimmicks. I couldn't justify putting it on film myself... It'd just be me holding the toy saying 'like the vf19kai....'

I'd watch a video of this, even though I've seen your Kai one. Even with a small mold change the visual feel of a toy can be quite different, which is where a video helps. Even though they're so similar, I like the Blazer but not the Kai. It may be a bit irrational, but we're grown men playing with toys so rationality has already been checked a few doors back. I guess what I'm saying is there would be an audience for such a video.

cough! Subscribe to my channel...hella video reviews. /cough!

Got mine today. BAD@SS. Solid, like the kai, like the bigger size of the gun, and the pilot is probably the best one yet. His suit is very detailed, and is a full size pilot, not the stubby ones.

!ust curious, why would you want a video review? It's the vf19kai with a cooler head and fewer gimmicks. I couldn't justify putting it on film myself... It'd just be me holding the toy saying 'like the vf19kai....'

Yeah, it'd be like doing a review of the VF-25S. You know what the VF-25F renewal is like. It's pretty much the same thing. I think at this point, photos are enough once someone has seen a Kai review.

I posed this question earlier, but anyone got insight on whether an -F or a -P is coming out next in line?

The -F would be easier, but who knows....maybe a better selling start to start with the -P and then the -F?

Also, I envy all you guy's who got this already. Jenius, you mentioned that the -S variant has fewer gimmicks than the fire valk?

I can't seem to recall any additional gimmicks the fire valk had, can you specify?

I'm gonna leave shooting that video to someone with more free time but I'll keep it in mind for the VF-19P release.

Word

cough! Subscribe to my channel...hella video reviews. /cough!

Well I did watch your reviews but I don't think I subscribed. I'll go do that now.

Yeah, it'd be like doing a review of the VF-25S. You know what the VF-25F renewal is like. It's pretty much the same thing. I think at this point, photos are enough once someone has seen a Kai review.

Not quite the same thing since there are a lot of differences in the sculpt, whereas on the -25 basically only the head is different. That being said I would still like to see a video review of the VF-25S as well lol

I posed this question earlier, but anyone got insight on whether an -F or a -P is coming out next in line?

The -F would be easier, but who knows....maybe a better selling start to start with the -P and then the -F?

Also, I envy all you guy's who got this already. Jenius, you mentioned that the -S variant has fewer gimmicks than the fire valk?

I can't seem to recall any additional gimmicks the fire valk had, can you specify?

This and the Fire Valkyrie are indeed quite nice but I'd definitely love to see the -P variant - probably my favourite Valk colour scheme of them all

Probably the F before the P...

Okay, just added my last two pics and am now done updating my VF-19 review. The last two pics are an additional battroid mode pic and a picture that details the guns and their gimmicks. I also updated the content a bit more so I'm moving on. I think anyone who liked the VF-19Kai (paint scheme potentially excluded) will obviously like the VF-19S.

Okay, just added my last two pics and am now done updating my VF-19 review. The last two pics are an additional battroid mode pic and a picture that details the guns and their gimmicks. I also updated the content a bit more so I'm moving on. I think anyone who liked the VF-19Kai (paint scheme potentially excluded) will obviously like the VF-19S.

COOL! I was right about the fore-grip on the gunpod collapsing in for fighter mode... :)

I wonder if the gunpod is supposed to be further forward though. While the grip collapses to avoid the bulge of the die-cast back-plate underneath, the front edge of the gun bumps up against the crotch plate, and seems to still be angled pretty far down. I kinda don't care though, it's so pretty when it's clean. ^_^

Random discovery of the day: If the S-model head looks too busy for you, there's absolutely nothing holding those extra lasers on except friction. I went to adjust them, and realized they can just pull right out, resulting in a single laser VF-19.

Edited by Chronocidal

I'm not sure if anyone is willing to try this on their's but can the feet be pushed back for aggressive gerwalk mode without risking the ankle problems as on the Kai? Anyway I'm glad there are no complaints of loose ankles out of the box, it seems that problem has been solved

Were there complaints of loose ankles out of the box on the Kai? My Kai's ankles were so stiff I could easily pose the toy on one leg. The 19S looks to have exactly the same ankle mechanism to my eye... and I found GERWALK mode to be a frustrating balancing act.

COOL! I was right about the fore-grip on the gunpod collapsing in for fighter mode... :)

Be warned, you should have some finger nails if you're going to pull that trick off.. especially when the toy is brand new and might have a bit of mold release on it. I spent a lot of time looking at my gun puzzled as to how I would pop that part back out for battroid mode. There's a line that runs parallel across it you can use if you can get a corner of a fingernail in it.

Edited by jenius

Were there complaints of loose ankles out of the box on the Kai? My Kai's ankles were so stiff I could easily pose the toy on one leg. The 19S looks to have exactly the same ankle mechanism to my eye... and I found GERWALK mode to be a frustrating balancing act.

Be warned, you should have some finger nails if you're going to pull that trick off.. especially when the toy is brand new and might have a bit of mold release on it. I spent a lot of time looking at my gun puzzled as to how I would pop that part back out for battroid mode. There's a line that runs parallel across it you can use if you can get a corner of a fingernail in it.

Oh, FYI, you mention in you review that the ankle is an all metal ball joint. This isn't the case. The "ball" portion is actually a metal post with a metal half hemisphere with a plastic half hemisphere that is pegged and glued on. The socket portion is metal though. Just for comparison, the new dx 25/29 has a similar design but they also try to work in a plastic pad into the sockets as well.

Love this freakin' toy. My wife came in, saw it on my table, and said, "'I'm not an expert on these, but that looks very nice." So, words from a non toy Macross fan.

I get that general response with most of my Macross collection. Whenever my friends walk into my toy room, the jets are the show stopper. But they also like the GI Joes too, ha.

I'm going to have to get a 19S if I end up liking the Fire I ordered. I should get the Fire by Monday/Tuesday. Stupid weekend... :( First world problems, AMIRIGHT?!?

Oh, FYI, you mention in you review that the ankle is an all metal ball joint. This isn't the case. The "ball" portion is actually a metal post with a metal half hemisphere with a plastic half hemisphere that is pegged and glued on. The socket portion is metal though. Just for comparison, the new dx 25/29 has a similar design but they also try to work in a plastic pad into the sockets as well.

Thank you, I should probably take the ankles apart on both my toys to see if there's really been any improvement... but since both my toys have nicely functioning ankles I don't want to risk having my dicking around ruin them. Sentence now reads:

I'm told the ankle's ball joint features a plastic hemisphere coupled with a metal hemisphere which is a step up from an all metal ball joint but it's apparently not enough to prevent loosening over time.

I wonder why companies don't use the rubberized sleeve Yamato used on their 1/48s any more? I guess because so many 1/48s had their hip housings crack?

Edit - i also added a sentence about how thin the blazer guns look and that it's probably not a good idea to stress them too much. Does anyone know if they're made of POM?

Edited by jenius