1/60 Macross 7 VF-19S Blazer Valkyrie Emerald Force Unit Announced

GU-11

Mommar, I feel your pain. The views you express were EXACTLY how I felt when I first transformed my VF-19 Kai. It looked great in fighter and then I transformed it for the first time to GERWALK and BAM! The thing can't even stand unless I put it in a nuetral pose (no A-stance) with the nose pointing straight forward, and not at the ground. Anything more extreme than that and the thing nose-dives, which is really unfortunate since this thing is soo awesome in other modes, but like you, GERWALK is my favorite as well.

I sold my VF-19 Kai with the hopes that future releases might fix this issue, but it turns out not to be I guess. Will wait till the YF-19 v.3 comes out before I pick up this mold.

In the meantime, I'll keep myself busy with the VF-17 that is coming out :D

Edited by Archer

Even if this ankle issue persists up to the VF-19P, I would still get the 19P. A lot of people would argue that Gerwalk is one of the many things that define Macross, but for me the 19's Gerwalk isn't really one of the best Gerwalks designed so I wouldn't be display my 19's on that mode. As jenius said, this toy has two other modes that do well and I will rather switch between those two than struggle with Gerwalk. I'll just try not to pose any future 19 toy in any aggressive Gerwalk so that I don't do the same with my Kai (excess for that time when I take a few photos to show each mode for my blog).

Now I'm all scared and discouraged about receiving my Blazer on Wednesday. This particular 19 was always my favorite valk design, I've loved it since I first saw it in Mac7 when I was 9 back in 1999, and now that a super amazing toy came out of it I got hyped, but for me if there's issues with the gerwalk I might return mine and just wait for a re-release or something. Hell I might even start a saving stash for the eventual 17D, either way I am now depressed :(.

Ok, after playing around with this one a bit, I think the ankles are better. Still iffy due to the potential for the ball joint to loosen up, but I definitely can get more range of motion from the Blazer than I can from the Fire Valk.

post-907-0-27709300-1323039552_thumb.jpg post-907-0-13712100-1323039564_thumb.jpg

I went ahead and really tried to push the ankles far this time, just to see at what point they become loose. The Fire Valk's ankles wouldn't move as far as the Blazer's (note the angle of the lower leg, and how much lower the FV's nose is), and after re-centering the feet, they're fairly sloppy.

The Blazer's? Not quite as much. They're still semi-sloppy around the center, but not quite as bad. Also, I should note.. once you stress the ankles in a particular direction, they'll generally be pretty firm around their limits. Okay for if you want to pose a lot in gerwalk, not so much for battroid.

They're still a far cry from the old ratcheted ankles we've gotten used to. But I suppose if you push the ankles to where you want them, and leave them there, they might still work ok. You just might have to re-tighten the joints if you want a different pose.

Edited by Chronocidal

[...] I might just have gotten a particularly bad case, which is bound to happen every so often.[...]

I like your attitude, Chronocidal. Thanks for not pushing the panic button :)

Ok, after playing around with this one a bit, I think the ankles are better. Still iffy due to the potential for the ball joint to loosen up, but I definitely can get more range of motion from the Blazer than I can from the Fire Valk.

I went ahead and really tried to push the ankles far this time, just to see at what point they become loose. The Fire Valk's ankles wouldn't move as far as the Blazer's (note the angle of the lower leg, and how much lower the FV's nose is), and after re-centering the feet, they're fairly sloppy.

The Blazer's? Not quite as much. They're still semi-sloppy around the center, but not quite as bad. Also, I should note.. once you stress the ankles in a particular direction, they'll generally be pretty firm around their limits. Okay for if you want to pose a lot in gerwalk, not so much for battroid....

I’m glad you’re able to get nice gerwalk poses no matter the ankle shortcomings.

@ frogze: The dent's are there, but they're fairly tiny because by the time I took the pics I already attempted to smooth them back out by running my nail over it (one of them is on the third control edge from the wingtip). I haven't transformed the VF-19S back to fighter mode yet, but from what I recall there wasn't really an issue with the wings connecting to the tail. If there was it wasn't that much of an issue where it would've irked me unlike the thinness of the wings.

@ Chronocidal: Yup your pictures are way better and clearly depict what I am experiencing.

I just felt that Yamato could have engineered the wing edges to be about one (or even half a) mm thicker and this would have solved the issue.

Edited by PsYcHoDyNaMiX

They're still a far cry from the old ratcheted ankles we've gotten used to. But I suppose if you push the ankles to where you want them, and leave them there, they might still work ok. You just might have to re-tighten the joints if you want a different pose.

The issue is you don't want to force the ankles back or forward or else the balljoint loosens even more, as others who own the Kai have said. So getting that angle and pushing the ankles back as far as possible works, though it is VERY precarious on mine, it's also not recommended for the ankles in general. I left it in a position similar to yours while I was out for about an hour and when I came back it had nose-planted into the desk it was sitting on. The ankles refused to hold. If the two toe pieces were ratcheted and moved both up and down the issue could be resolved. The easiest way to get the deeper stance would be to angle the toes farther back and angle the lower calf farther forward. This would keep the point where it's balanced farther beneath the 19 but still have a deep forward stance. As it is the legs don't bend far enough underneath the body of the 19 to do much good.

Archer's comment brings up a bigger issue. We've heard the rave reviews from everyone about how great the Kai was. It's fighter looks incredible and it's Battroid is totally awesome. How many of these reviewers are fans of Gerwalk modes? Archer and I both are and we don't like this thing (well, his Kai and my 19S.) I know there's been this semi-debate about who got what right between Yamato and Bandai and after getting my 19S Bandai wins hands down. Three faithful modes and Gerwalk is actually pose-able at half the price (plus a stand that could hold up the Gerwalk just in case it actually was balanced shitty). For $300 Yamato needs to fix their crap quick.

Good thing I don't care about Gerwalk mode then. :) To me Gerwalk mode is definitely important, but only to the point where they get it mostly right, which I think they did here for the most part. And I agree with jenius, that pathetic and awful are descriptions that are apt in describing the DX v1 VF-25s, since they couldn't pull off the basic stance without substantial cheating. I know it's all subjective, but to use those words to describe the 19s is a bit dramatic.

Also, with Gerwalk, the best way to appreciate it is with a stand. I didn't care for Gerwalk until I got a stand to pose it on and now I appreciate that mode more than I did in the past. Cause really, that mode is the silliest of them all from an outsider's perspective, with the arms and legs sticking out of an airplane body, but animated, it looks awesome, especially in the newer animes like Frontier, where the movement is so fluid.

Obviously Gerwalk is essential in defining the difference in Macross from other transforming robot shows, and I still think Yamato did a great job here.

Edited by pud333

Well I just found out some good news and some bad news today, good news they finally shipped my order out yesterday, bad news it's going to arrive on Thursday and that guy is scheduled on Thursday. They took too long processing it to be shipped out their warehouse yesterday. :(

Edited by VF-18S Hornet

Well I just found out some good news and some bad news today, good news they finally shipped my order out yesterday, bad news it's going to arrive on Thursday and that guy is scheduled on Thursday. They took too long processing it to be shipped out their warehouse yesterday. :(

Dude, you can do it, you'll get your valk back this time again!

I reflect Mommar's opinion on this, as he said. True, some people got better copies than others, but on my Kai, the ankles were so fail right out of the box that the first picture that Reivaj posted was IMPOSSIBLE to achieve. It would just nosedive after a couple seconds. It was actually worse once I actually got the arms out to a regular gerwalk position. The ONLY gerwalk pose I could pull of without a nose dive was one where the nose stood parrallel to the ground, and the legs were placed straight together, and not in an awesome A - stance. Like, it may not make sense to those who got copies with better ankles, but it COULDN'T stand whatsoever in those nice extreme positions.

Now, I know some may say that just avoid all extremeties, but macross' gerwalk is an extreme position type thing for me, and is usually how I pose my valks. It really is what made macross MACROSS for me, even beyond the singing to fight dealio.

It was like I opened the box, fighter mode brought [metophorical] tears to my eyes at the bueaty of it, and then I transformed to gerwalk for the first time. I at first though i just made some mistake with the ankles or something why it wouldn't stand, but after trying out 5 different surface types, and a whole slew of positions, I could not get those ankles to stay put whatsoever. This was even reflected in my battroid posing at times.

I don't want to be a wet blanket, but I just want to let people know the issue is out there. I am hoping the YF-19 v.3 gets this right (ratchets, like the current issue).

Also, I would refer all further questions about my own Kai's loose ankles to KiriK, as he has mine right now (I sold it, couldn't stand the thing).

Edited by Archer

lolz, I think the gunpod is supporting the gerwalk's front end in one of those pics... Could be wrong though, i'm viewing on a phone. It also looks like the arms were left back to keep the weight to the rear in the other aggressive pic. I'll have to try gerwalk again with my kai while I do my soundbooster review, I seem to remember it working okay. I think the problems with gerwalk are ompounded when people try to not extend the ankles as far.. Which I understand 'cause the extended ankles aren't quite the coolest.

Strange, I myself did not have any problems with my Kai in Gerwalk mode.

I know this sounds lame, but I have yet to open and play with my VF-19S.

So at this point, I can't check it to see if there are any problems with Gerwalk mode.

Ok, just to clarify.. yes, putting my 19S in that pose did screw up the ankles. They're loose now.

I just place myself in a category where I can tolerate that, because I bought it purely for the fighter mode. I might transform them once in a while, but I love the VF-19's fighter mode, and this thing nails it for the most part.

Truthfully, for whatever reason, with all the other brilliant engineering involved in the VF-19 design, the ankle really is a failure. I can't understand anything about why they would choose to design it this way, and unless you stick to fairly static poses or use a stand, it's bound to give you issues.

Once I get the guts to go tinkering with the legs on these, I might take out the ankles and see what else can be done. I doubt I'd be able to develop a replacement, but I might see about rearranging the way the parts work.

Truthfully, the only thing keeping those ankles from working well is the fact that they're mounted SIDEWAYS. The big pivot joint above the foot is facing the wrong way, and you wind up with massive side-to-side range, and no ability to point the toe. There's no reason I can see why the ankle shouldn't work with that joint facing the other direction. It's just a matter of figuring out how to get it to mount 90 degrees off from where it is now.

It's the kind of thing that makes you think someone just happened to misinterpret a drawing, and designed a part that's 90 degrees off from what it was supposed to be. I'll see about putting pictures up later of what I mean, but I think it's pretty clear.

Edit: Screw it. No, really, why the bloody hell do they always have to go back to supergluing covers over all the important screws? They had a good thing going when they went to the v.2 VF-1, and then they went back to gluing everything shut like the Macross Zero stuff.

There's really no way to get to the ankle assemblies without destroying the legs.

Edit 2: Ok, here's a fun trick.. if anyone's willing to try it.. just loosen the screws on the ankles, or take them out entirely. After trying that, my Fire Valk is pulling off an even better angle than my Blazer can. Sure, if I move the ankles back, they're loose, but even with the screws removed, the ankles seem to like staying with the toes pointed as far as they will go.

I dunno if this is just because I've barely used them before, or what, but maybe the trick to this is just loosening the screws, then tightening them once you pose the ankles the way you want. It's a lousy solution that shouldn't even be needed... but it might be enough to hold a good gerwalk pose for a display.

Edited by Chronocidal

Ahh! That sounds dangerous, even for a static gerwalk pose. Ankles without the screws in them? I mean, they had to have put them in there for a reason right?

They wouldn't just throw in some random screws for fun's sake.....or would they?

Well, Chronocidal said

I dunno if this is just because I've barely used them before, or what, but maybe the trick to this is just loosening the screws, then tightening them once you pose the ankles the way you want. It's a lousy solution that shouldn't even be needed... but it might be enough to hold a good gerwalk pose for a display.

I GOT MINE TODAY!!!

34dr68n.png

first of all, dammit are the wings pointy on this thing. I managed to stab myself in the thumb deep enough to draw blood the first time I tried to transform it. (btw, I consider it a good thing when a toy has pointy bits sharp enough to stab someone with.)

second of all, the ankles... They are a little odd. Besides the extreme role, the foot also has just as much forward tilt (pointing the toe up) as any previous macross toy I own. it's only limited in pointing strait down, it seems that the ball stem and socket are angled just such that every direction works better than that one.

That said, there's still enough range of motion for gerwalk to be serviceable and they work infinitely better for battroid mode than the ankles on every other design from Yamato. They're so solid and stable compared to the ratchet joints on previous figures, the crazy action poses you can pull off while still having a flat footed stance are astounding (and one legged poses are way more fun than they should be and are practically an action feature in of themselves). I really prefer the ball joints over the ratchets and I hope they keep using them on all future releases (mostly because the poseability is better but partly because the indignant fanboy rage is hilarious.)

I seriously love everything about this toy. There are really only 3 problems I've had with the toy: 1) it's so good it makes me like all of my other Macross toys slightly less; 2) it makes me want to buy more new Macross toys to go with it (which is a scary-expensive proposition); and 3) someone at the factory didn't properly glue together the wrist plate, so I had to spend about 10 minutes scouring my carpet looking for the part of it that when flying across the room when I transformed it so I could super glue it back together. :rolleyes:

Ahh! That sounds dangerous, even for a static gerwalk pose. Ankles without the screws in them? I mean, they had to have put them in there for a reason right?

They wouldn't just throw in some random screws for fun's sake.....or would they?

Here's the thing about those screws... they hold the ankle together so the ball joint is tighter in the center. Loosen them up, and it'll be loose there.... but move it to the edge of the range, and it gets tight again. Plus, once you bend the foot that far in gerwalk, it's actually more balanced, because you can actually get the feet underneath the center of mass. Even if they're not as tight, you've got less weight in front to make the thing tip over.

Mine's been sitting all evening in gerwalk with it's screws entirely loose. ^_^

What I'm thinking is causing it is that the ball joint really just isn't round. It gets tighter at it's outer limits, and pushing it there spreads the joint, making it loose in the center.

Edited by Chronocidal

Since I've been bothered by this ankle issue lately, I had to see again if my Kai can pull off a good Gerwalk despite the very loose left ankle.

And guess what? I was able to pull it off nicely.

th_IMG_9658.jpg th_IMG_9657.jpg

Transformed it back to Fighter mode, though, for display. I guess I can sleep well now after confirming that I can still make a good Gerwalk.

Since I've been bothered by this ankle issue lately, I had to see again if my Kai can pull off a good Gerwalk despite the very loose left ankle.

And guess what? I was able to pull it off nicely.

th_IMG_9658.jpg th_IMG_9657.jpg

Transformed it back to Fighter mode, though, for display. I guess I can sleep well now after confirming that I can still make a good Gerwalk.

Try bending one of the knees more or less so that it isn't symmetrical. Or try splaying the knees wider and see what happens. As it is that pose there with my 19S is precarious at best. Anything else and it totally collapses. That's not what I'd call good. I can do lots of other poses with my other Yamato Valks but i can barely hold on to that stance in your picture there.

I'm not really into bending one knee more than the other since I like it symmetrical.

Those knees are on the last click forward. Gerwalk joint was on the third click, and the knee was pulled one click down. Ankles, I think were just pulled one click down since I hate seeing that metal shaft exposed on Gerwalk.

If I spread out the legs a bit more, the weight will already pull it downwards.

That pose is actually way better than this one that I shot for my blog post of the toy:

th_yamatofirevalk10.jpg

I'm among those few that don't like the the new VF-19 gerwalk mode.

I'm at my office so I don't have my VF-19 nor the YF-19 so I'm posting this pic from the net:

post-557-0-90906000-1323187697_thumb.jpg

The leg bends "back" at a lower angle due to more forward/back movement at the ankles. It's a much more extreme and aggressive stance, better than the new VF-19 can reach.

Fighter and battroid mode of the new 1/60 VF-19 are top notch but gerwalk mode is a step back due to the poor back and forward movement at the ankles. I wish Yamato goes back to ratcheted ankles for the possible YF-19 ver 3 since it is my favorite from the 19 series.

Gotta say, I'm absolutely in love with the VF-19S. I think it's an absolutely beautiful and fantastically engineered toy.

Yes, the wing trailing edges are thin and sharp, but I don't really consider that an issue. If you are aware if it and know to take care during transformation.

I love this toy in fighter and battroid mode and have had no problems. I've never transformed it to Gerwalk mode though, as I seldom, if ever Put my VF toys in that mode, so not experienced any issues. I will test though.

I really love zooming this thing around the house in fighter mode and it looks so cool and aggressive in Battroid mode.

Love it.

Graham

Err...........so just what exactly is supposed to be wrong with the GERWALK mode??????

Seems perfectly fine to me!

I had no problem getting and holding the stances in the attached photos. Mine has nice tight ankles that hold poses fine (and this is my store bought one, not my Yamato sample).

(Please excuse the late night, poor quality pics taken in the bathroom at nearly 1.30am after a heavy work-related drinking session.....hic!)

Graham

post-11-0-74494700-1323192409_thumb.jpg

post-11-0-90748600-1323192415_thumb.jpg

post-11-0-51211400-1323192421_thumb.jpg

post-11-0-08584700-1323192428_thumb.jpg

I'm among those few that don't like the the new VF-19 gerwalk mode.

i find myself in pretty much the same camp.

everything about the original 1/60's GERWALK just seems "right" to my eyes...

YF-19JOHN-GERWALK12-5-11.jpg

after dismantling the entire thing, and performing my electrician's tape trick to just about every joint,

this thing now manages to hold together quite tightly indeed, even in it's infamously floppy GERWALK.

hell, i imagine it's gotta be now AT LEAST as tight as i recall hearing the D.N. and BoP variants were, on average...

Edited by Shaorin

Err...........so just what exactly is supposed to be wrong with the GERWALK mode??????

Seems perfectly fine to me!

I had no problem getting and holding the stances in the attached photos. Mine has nice tight ankles that hold poses fine (and this is my store bought one, not my Yamato sample).

(Please excuse the late night, poor quality pics taken in the bathroom at nearly 1.30am after a heavy work-related drinking session.....hic!)

Graham

I guess it's just Archer and I who got screwed then? I cannot pose the toy like that at all. Especially like pic number 4, no way in hell.

Graham

Note to self: Do not buy toys from Graham, since he spends time in the bathroom with them... :o:huh::p

Edited by pud333

I guess it was just me and Mommar that got screwed with our specific models. Put my Kai in pic # any of those that you posted, and given a few seconds, the nose would be in the ground, reglardless of surfaces. I tried carpeting, hardwood, tile, granite, marble, etc. (inherently, hard and soft floors), and just nothing.

Also, its apparent in those pics that the essence of true gerwalk just isn't being achieved. In all of those pics, the ankles are pointed forwards, relying inherently on solely the sideways bend to achieve stability. In a real, and imo, cooler looking gerwalk, the feet would be parrallel with the rest of the leg, with a bend being placed on the forward and backward moving hinge rather than sideways. Honestly, to me, that sidways bend looks like a n00b failing at the splits.....

Sure, ball joints are great, but I don't think they fit with yamato's principle of toys that last a long time. ball joints in such a crucial joint are bound to loosen eventually anyways, regardless of initial solidity or not.

lulz, maybe I'm just overthinking this. I just hope the VF-17 joints won't suck as much, and that the v.3 YF-19 goes back to ratchets, as a previous poster mentioned.