Graham's Review of Yamato 1/60 Scale YF-19

Graham

They have an 'estimated shipping times' table on their site.

HLJ sometimes chooses to ship EMS even though the customer requested SAL.

They do this with packages that reach a certain value.

From the HLJ site

Yep. They won't ship something over a certain size using SAL. As a matter of fact all of the 1/48's and the 1/60's Ive bought from them were all shipped by EMS. I got my yf-19 from them in a week, using EMS.

At a certain point, EMS is actually cheaper than SAL (very heavy items)---which is why they won't ship SAL for heavy things, as EMS is faster AND cheaper then.

I usually get SAL stuff in 10-14 days from HLJ. But I usually ship EMS, SAL I usually just use for small items, so I don't know how long something larger like a valk would take for SAL.

Thanks guys! I ordered an SV-51 model kit, and went for SAL shipping. (Just couldn't justify doubling the order cost, just for quicker shipping.)

I saw the estimated times, but "7-45 days" is sort of broad. I'm not in any hurry, but I do like to know about how long I have to wait. ;)

~Luke

I got my 19 from Amenbo today. EMS only took a week and that includes all the recent holidays and a second delivery attempt. I gave up on HLJ since SAL takes two months on average (to CA Bay Area) and EMS takes three weeks. I think the problem with HLJ is that they are just really slow to ship stuff.

Why do all the Yamato valks since the 1/48s seem so light? Am I just used to the diecast of the 1/72 and 1/60 stuff? Yamato stuff even seems light compared to Transformers. I feel that the 19 is a little light on the gimmicks for the price. Just some removable head covering and the removable stock. I guess there are some other gimmicks included such as the removable seat, stand adapters and extra wee-wings but I'm not considering all of this since I'll never use it. I'm a bit tired of Yamato catering to the customizers. I don't want to pay for extra parts and I want most of the major marking tampoed on. The Shin 0A had better have as many markings as the 0S since it is a character specific aircraft. My 19 doesn't have any QC issues that I've noticed. I haven't checked the alignment of the gunpod yet. I cracked one of the rear landing gear blocks but that was my fault.

I got my 19 from Amenbo today. EMS only took a week and that includes all the recent holidays and a second delivery attempt. I gave up on HLJ since SAL takes two months on average (to CA Bay Area) and EMS takes three weeks. I think the problem with HLJ is that they are just really slow to ship stuff.

thats funny, I live in the same area as you and both times I've ordered valks form HLJ they got here less than two weeks form when I placed my order, and thats with two failed delivery attempts and haveing to pic up at the post office each time.

in fact the only thing I dislike about HLJ is that they require in-person delivery of their EMS packages and no ones ever home the mailman comes by so I have to pic it up at the post office, and thats not that big a deal since the post office is on the way to my school anyways.

thats funny, I live in the same area as you and both times I've ordered valks form HLJ they got here less than two weeks form when I placed my order, and thats with two failed delivery attempts and haveing to pic up at the post office each time.

in fact the only thing I dislike about HLJ is that they require in-person delivery of their EMS packages and no ones ever home the mailman comes by so I have to pic it up at the post office, and thats not that big a deal since the post office is on the way to my school anyways.

Same here and I'm way down in San Diego. . . :blink:

Got mine before X'mas, didn't bring it out to transform until yestersday and took some shots (forgive my picture taking skill, 1st time user of a digital camera). This valkyrie is a giant, the fighter mode is the longest of all the valks I got. The only complaint I have is the skinny hand, have trouble holding the gunpod firmly. After uploading these pics, I can't wait to transform it to my favourite Battroid mode.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Edited by wasabi-elephant

people in the US are too impatient that all. eather be cheap us SAL and learn to live with it or spend the extra cash on EMS and have it in a week.

You're taking me out of context. HLJ on the average takes longer than some vendors based in the U.S. And as Dave and others have pointed out, their prioritization of order fulfillment is inconsistent and often doesn't make sense. How many times has a board member puzzled over why a preorder that was placed on the very first day it was made available has to wait for 2nd or even 3rd shipments to get their item?

My primary concern with HLJ or ANY overseas vendor is how they will deal with a U.S. customer when they receive a defective Yamato product which, by the looks of recent trends, is like 1 in every 3 toys. Once again, from other board members this aspect of their service doesn't look great either.

I've said that so many times now, I think I'll put it in my signature...

Two pages of endless debate of which vendor is/ships better...

I would really prefer to read more on impressions or see some more pics of the YF-19.

impressions...overall i like it :p

touch me i'm yours for your taking

IPB Image

Edited by Kicker773

Now THAT'S being poseable. Also, that gunpod may be scaled correctly, but it just looks too small...

Edited by myk

Kicker773, you need to take some pics of your crazy YF-19 collection line ups. :p

I'll try, the table i use in my room is currently filled with x-men toys that i've collected for 13yrs.. ergh.. had to dust them off.. but once i clean it up (believe me i have no room to walk around anymore) i'll place all the valkyrie's on the table and probably get a group shot....lol.. but i'm still awaiting my armor(s) for the VF1S squad i'm working on B))

I got mine today!!! Ordered it from Amenbo on 12/20. Not much else to report here, same things as everyone alse has been noticing. The gunpod is at an angle in fighter mode. You can kind of mess with it and try to angle it a little better and it will improve, but it's enough of an issue for me that I will try Hayao's fix. The gear is angled same as everyone else's, but that's to be expected cuz it's a design issue and not a QC issue. Didn't look to hard to fix on Hayao's post anyway. The right elbow seems to not lock into place as tight as the left elbow in battroid, but overall the joints aren't loose. The gaps between the shoulders in fighter mode don't bother me so much. I can nitpick about proportions but I'm not gonna, it looks great as is!! The fighter looks great and posability is more important than exactly correct proportions in battroid, and for something fully transformable this thing is pretty posable!!! Real big too, much bigger than the 1st ed YF-19, but I guess that's a no brainer. The paint job looks great and I can't find any new QC issues on mine.

The transformation was difficult for me at first but it became second nature real quick. Seems easier than the 1/48 now.

Sorry for the crap photos:

IPB Image

I loved this pose from the anime

IPB Image

darn the cod piece came down

IPB Image

armless gerwalk

IPB Image

i know my desk is messy

eek it's past one i gotta go to bed

Go to bed? What're you talking about, it's only 1am!

Anyway, I like how you had 'Plus in the background to more or less mimic the toy itself...

not sure if this was brought up already but I was checking out my design works and noticed something. Go to the YF-19 pages and on IIRC page 85 it shows the fast packs. It also shows that the FAST Packs have something on the back of the legs, meaning that Yamato is correct in their fast pack design and that means that the legs may by canon move down a little bit to allow for the FAST Packs, though it is not clearly shown in any of the lineart I looked at.

The things on the back of the legs in Fighter mode are the Battroid mode shoulder FAST packs.

Graham

Look at page 85 of the design works, and compare the back of the legs in battroid mode to the back of the legs in battroid mode without the fastpacks on page 84 and you can see what I am talking about.

Look at page 85 of the design works, and compare the back of the legs in battroid mode to the back of the legs in battroid mode without the fastpacks on page 84 and you can see what I am talking about.

yeah, I see it too now. There's an extra little bit right below the knee joint on the pic with the fast packs that's not there on the drawings without it.

well, i could try, but my camera phone cant go macro enough to work.

however for people who are having trouble finding something thin enough to do the hayao fix, I used part of what I think u call a ziplock bag in the US. i took the rounder part, cut a small bit off and Superglued it to the GP handle. worked like a charm! :)