Graham's Review of Yamato 1/60 Scale YF-19

Graham

i had to pay import duty, VAT, Customs and clearance fee, and the fact that royal mail and parcel force sucks even after paying they wouldn't deliver the next day.

Chances are you will. I got charged £17.60 VAT & £14 Parcelforce handling charges

And here I was hoping I'd get my YF-19 and VF-1A Cannon Fodder without additional charges :\

Dammit, now I know why my wing is loosening. Even after you tighten the screw, when you Transform from fighter to Battroid you have to move it past that damn bump on the leg. This stretches the wing out and loosens it again. :angry:

Which bump are you refering to Kensei? I should receive my two YF-19's next tuesday and I'd like to avoid loosening the wings.

I have my yf-19 and it's definitely a gorgeous piece of work, but hearing about all these problems (gunpod, wing root, landing gear) it's making me very weary of Yamato's business standards. I know that it's just a toy company, but really, for the amount of money they're costing, there should be stricter guidelines for quality.

With issues like the gunpod and its allignment, shouldn't there have been some person at Yamato who had enough sense to connect the gunpod to the YF-19 while it was in fighter mode? It seems that many of these issues aren't just shoddy problems, but common sense ones. Same thing with the landing gear.

Even the cheap knock-offs of the vf-19's I own have better quality control.

It shouldn't be that the first run of Yamatos's products are expected and excused for having problems. If there are problems with first runs, it should only happen to a few, not the majority. And if it's something as easy as the handle on a gunpod not being thick enough, or the landing gear not folding out properly, then why should we have to modify it ourselves? We're paying for a product where we hope it'll be caught somewhere in the QC line.

Yes, we pay this much, and yes, we are still appreciative that they're producing these products, but there should be a trust between companies and consumers. They should trust that we will spend our money to buy their product, and we should trust that their product is of quality.

The best businesses understand that in order to survive, it must satisfy consumer expectations. How can they excuse something that is a rudamentary as checking to see if the gunpod alligns properly or that the landing gear folds out properly? It's not like it's a hidden piece or something.

I really hope that they can provide replacement gunpods (at the very least) with no additional charge. The landing gear might be harder to replace. I hope they realize that for the amount they charge, they should deliver better.

Thank you

With issues like the gunpod and its allignment, shouldn't there have been some person at Yamato who had enough sense to connect the gunpod to the YF-19 while it was in fighter mode? It seems that many of these issues aren't just shoddy problems, but common sense ones. Same thing with the landing gear.

I think this has to do with problems in the mould, not a shoddy design problem. Yamato could be blamed however for letting these get past their QC if they even have QC. Maybe they're like "Ah shimatta....all the 10000 valks we produced are defective due to bad mould. Maii ka. Just sell it anyway."

I agree with AlphaOne.

I would throw in the recent price hikes as well and the bait and switch with the whole 0a cannon fodder/shin thing.

I'm not sure what to think, or do since I honestly love my yammies. Even though each one I own is unique with it's own quirks and faults.. which boggles my mind since 90% of the are repaints of one design....

I've resigned myself that I'm going to be boycotting the 0a shin, even though that's the release I wanted all along. I know my 200$ won't make much an impact on yamato's pocket book or their decision. But part of me hopes that they read this post.

I have been a long time fan of the company and have been a pretty vocal supporter of them... I can't say I'll be doing that anymore. Their recent actions seem so short sighted and greedy.

I agree with AlphaOne.

I would throw in the recent price hikes as well and the bait and switch with the whole 0a cannon fodder/shin thing.

I'm not sure what to think, or do since I honestly love my yammies. Even though each one I own is unique with it's own quirks and faults.. which boggles my mind since 90% of the are repaints of one design....

I've resigned myself that I'm going to be boycotting the 0a shin, even though that's the release I wanted all along. I know my 200$ won't make much an impact on yamato's pocket book or their decision. But part of me hopes that they read this post.

I have been a long time fan of the company and have been a pretty vocal supporter of them... I can't say I'll be doing that anymore. Their recent actions seem so short sighted and greedy.

Nice. :) and to think just a couple months ago you were wishing people would shut up and stop complaining. :p

Yamato's desicion making and QC has always been shotty since the begininng... and as much as they amaze me with wonderful stuff, they equally frustrate me with their half assed, abject greediness and many times idiotic decisions...

I've been wating a millenia for the yf-19 to be re-released and now I've ended up cancelling my preorder and waiting for a second run (Yes, that's right folks, I'm waiting for the second run). The crooked gunpod totally turns me off because I display most of my yamato's in in-flight fighter mode... <_<

And dont get me started on the vf-0a Shin... the ass who made that decision in yamato should be neutered, flogged and hanged. Same goes for the pastel loving nut job who colored the vf-0 ghost.

Just watch... these retards probably will actually give us stickers to decal up a hot pink Nora SV-51 and release an anime accurate canonfodder vf-0... I really wonder what they'll tell graham to tell us when that happens...

Which bump are you refering to Kensei? I should receive my two YF-19's next tuesday and I'd like to avoid loosening the wings.

kanedaestes answered it perfectly. :)

its the side of the leg, the way it curves out. when you swing the wings past that part of the leg it weakens them

Correct! Thanks. I'm a little mad now, if they were going to put a bump like that, they should have at least made micromissile bays. :angry::p

Did you guys notice the head laser is off the center on Graham's pics?

http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/toys/Y...view/head_3.jpg

http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/toys/Y...close_up_13.jpg

Do you also have this on your toy?

Mine is as straight as a die.

Mine is also straight. No problems there.

My wings are loose as well Kensei mate, not so worried about it but like we should have to worry about fricken not twisting the wings around to keep them stiff, Yamato bloody well stuffed it up!

Bah.

I am still only concerned about the Gunpod fix. Shoulder problem is nothing really. And the landing gear is so so, i never retract them.

Graham have you mentioned to Yamato if there is a fix on the horizon?

For the FP set maybe? :( please >_< If they can add two little flaps for people wanting to custom colour (which i think is a TAD unimportant but nice gesture) i THINK they CAN add a gunpod fix and perhaps even a landing gear fix for us first run devotees.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

I've been wating a millenia for the yf-19 to be re-released and now I've ended up cancelling my preorder and waiting for a second run (Yes, that's right folks, I'm waiting for the second run). The crooked gunpod totally turns me off because I display most of my yamato's in in-flight fighter mode... <_<

I've seen more than one post about the crooked gunpod being a deal-breaker for people. Please do not deprive yourself of this awesome toy for something that's a non-issue. My gunpod is straight -- fixed simply by wrapping a very thin piece of electrical tape around the grip (there are more technical ways of doing this). Sure, an expensive toy like this should be perfect, but for those that want a -19 -- if you can find a better one out there, then you buy it. :)

post-1617-1167468983_thumb.jpg

Nice. :) and to think just a couple months ago you were wishing people would shut up and stop complaining. :p

Yamato's desicion making and QC has always been shotty since the begininng... and as much as they amaze me with wonderful stuff, they equally frustrate me with their half assed, abject greediness and many times idiotic decisions...

And dont get me started on the vf-0a Shin... the ass who made that decision in yamato should be neutered, flogged and hanged. Same goes for the pastel loving nut job who colored the vf-0 ghost.

Just watch... these retards probably will actually give us stickers to decal up a hot pink Nora SV-51 and release an anime accurate canonfodder vf-0... I really wonder what they'll tell graham to tell us when that happens...

so true.

Honestly, stuff like paint app flubs and individual parts not fitting perfectly don't bother me that much. I figure that in any process, random errors are bound to occur. My big big gripe is yamato blatantly lying to us, telling us that we're wrong about the VF-0 cannon fodder/shin thing, and then releasing the shin right after the cannon fodder.

Anyways, back on topic... I considered cancelling my pre-order for the yf-19 as well over the gunpod thing. But the fixes out there seem easy and more or less unobtrusive... and give we still haven't seen a VF-0s reissue, I'm not positive there will be a Yf-19 reissue. And I have ZERO interest in a baby blue VF-19 version.

and give we still haven't seen a VF-0s reissue, I'm not positive there will be a Yf-19 reissue.

You wanna bet me on whether or not there will be a VF-0S reissue? There's DEFINITELY going to be one... and there DEFINITELY will be a YF-19 reissue. The only issue at hand is how many other items they want to sell before they start reissuing. The problem with a VF-0S reissue is that it will steal customers from the Shin VF-0A release. The problem with a YF-19 reissue is that it will steal customers from a VF-19A release. Basically, you won't be getting reissues until they're ready to let us all know that the molds are milked and sometimes that takes a LOT of patience.

You say the wings are loose...can't you tighten the screw to fix that?

Does it affect fighter mode?

-Kyp

No it doesnt, but you know despite everything i wouldn't give this toy up for anything. Yes there are problems but damnis this a beautiful toy and i love it a lot. I would gladly buy another

You wanna bet me on whether or not there will be a VF-0S reissue? There's DEFINITELY going to be one... and there DEFINITELY will be a YF-19 reissue. The only issue at hand is how many other items they want to sell before they start reissuing. The problem with a VF-0S reissue is that it will steal customers from the Shin VF-0A release. The problem with a YF-19 reissue is that it will steal customers from a VF-19A release. Basically, you won't be getting reissues until they're ready to let us all know that the molds are milked and sometimes that takes a LOT of patience.

okay, I agree with that. I just don't think there will be a fix reissue coming out as quickly as with thr 1/72 yf-19.

I agree with Egimon, particularly in regards to the VF-OA thing. In addition to what he and others already stated, what REALLY P's me off is that they don't seem to be releasing the ghost booster with the weapons pods alone, for those of us that have the 0A and or OS. You have to buy the Shin VF-O to get the Ghost and weapons that we Really want! The stand alone ghost is just the Drone. That Fraking sucks. Or am I missing something?!

Graham, do you know if Yamato has plans to release the Ghost pack alone?

Chris

I also agree about not depriving ourselves of this valk from the crooked gunpod and the like.

You people that haven't handled it yet have something really special to experience when you do. :p

I will try and fix my gunpod soon, at the moment she is still pose'd in the PPB sheild charge! ><

Battroid is DEFFINENTLY the best mode to display. Fighter mode a close second.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

dont we already know we're getting a solo ghost fighter? One would assume it comes with all the misles and stuff to attach it to the 0's. Id be stunnd it if didnt.

The minor issues with the 19 arent a deal breaker for me either. i use a tiny dab of blutac to keep the gun straight in fighter mode, and the loose wing sits where id have positioned it in battroid anyway, so no big deal there. All in all shes probably the finest work Yamato has done on the Macross line. I prefer the 0's asthetically, but tecuhnically the 19 is a home run.

I just got my YF-19 today, and I can say that I'm pretty satisfied with it and even though the gunpod isn't perfectly straight, it's not as bad as I thought it would be.

I'm fortunate that there's an import model store that deals with these kinds of things so I don't need to go online to search for them...

Anyway, here's what my gunpod looks like:

IPB Image

And here's a battoroid pic with my other prized possesion...

IPB Image

Edited by aerodrew

Pictures of this thing head on really make me think the legs are too far apart. Does anyone get this impression also or is it just an optical illusion I'm fabricating?

Edit - I believe the outside part of the hip should line up perfectly with the armpit (going by human anatomy) but I think this toy comes closer to having the inside part of the leg line up with the armpit. That might also be from angling the legs out though...

Edited by jenius

dont we already know we're getting a solo ghost fighter? One would assume it comes with all the misles and stuff to attach it to the 0's. Id be stunnd it if didnt.

No, the Stand-alone Ghost is the Drone version, it's painted different and has other different features such as canards and a sensor eye. I thought I remember someone saying that it will not have the missiles and such too. So either way, we are not getting the "fast pack" type ghost booster.

Chris

I thought I remember someone saying that it will not have the missiles and such too. So either way, we are not getting the "fast pack" type ghost booster.

I don't think any of this is confirmed. The "drone" version looks completely capable of being affixed to an VF-0 by simply removing the head and changing the canards. I'm not a betting man but I think the "drone" version will have all the accoutrements of the Shin gift-set version.

Edited by jenius

I'll try to find where I got the info, either way at the VERY least it won't be the correct color.

If it makes you feel better, Nani says the giftset color is completely wrong too (I haven't watched in a while, I can't say for sure). Honestly though, I think the drone looks like it'd go better with the VF-0S than Shin's version.

If it makes you feel better, Nani says the giftset color is completely wrong too (I haven't watched in a while, I can't say for sure). Honestly though, I think the drone looks like it'd go better with the VF-0S than Shin's version.

that makes me feel better. Why should any other Zero toy (other than the 0s) come in anime correct colors?

God, I have never seen ANYONE so bitter about a white stripe ona toy! i love this whole theory that Yamato execs wwere rubbing there hands evilly as they laid out their plans to trick us into buying the CF 0A!

They probably saw the backlash and decided to change it! As I recall the early shots we saw of the 0A with the Ghost had the black stripes. It was only....what 2 months ago? that we saw the A painted with Shins stripe. They probably just changed their minds.

Seriously, puit it in your sig or something, so all who come after u know u are upset and move on!

God, I have never seen ANYONE so bitter about a white stripe ona toy! i love this whole theory that Yamato execs wwere rubbing there hands evilly as they laid out their plans to trick us into buying the CF 0A!

They probably saw the backlash and decided to change it! As I recall the early shots we saw of the 0A with the Ghost had the black stripes. It was only....what 2 months ago? that we saw the A painted with Shins stripe. They probably just changed their minds.

Seriously, puit it in your sig or something, so all who come after u know u are upset and move on!

I never said they were rubbing their hands. don't put words in my mouth.