Graham's Review of Yamato 1/60 Scale YF-19

Graham

Guys, comon, the best scheme is the low vis one. Pls yamato, make that your third version of this toy, with ALL fixes and options, and make it end of this year, and make it same price as the yf-19 now ;). hehehe, anyways, i am more interested in yf-19 low vis then sv-51 first version.

kind of a odd question but did anyone else 19 have scotch tape on it? namely on the 4 black circles right behind the head in battroid mode? and is there a reason for this?

I think everyone has it, including me. Not sure what its for though. It looks like its protecting the 4 black circles (verniers?) since its painted with glossy black color.

I think everyone has it, including me. Not sure what its for though. It looks like its protecting the 4 black circles (verniers?) since its painted with glossy black color.

cool, i thought it was kind of weird to have a random piece of tape on my valk.

For me it would be a coin-toss if Yamato did a YF/VF-19A Low Vis v1 and a Stealth (with red visor and nosecone sensors)...

Although I have to admit thinking about a stealth scheme 19, I would be leaning towards getting a stealth scheme over a low vis.

Mine should be here on Thursday.... I was thinking of having my mom call the school and tell them there's been a family emergency when it arrives so she can come get me from school, but she won't do it...

If that is true, you should be ashamed of your desperation. :lol:

Kids, keep away from Macross...stay in school. ;)

For me it would be a coin-toss if Yamato did a YF/VF-19A Low Vis v1 and a Stealth (with red visor and nosecone sensors)...

Although I have to admit thinking about a stealth scheme 19, I would be leaning towards getting a stealth scheme over a low vis.

Me too man, no 2 ways about it. I htink a grey 19 would look a little flat, though it would depend on the trim. a black and red schemed 19 would looks AWESOME!

Ironically, of all the low-vis valk schemes, I've yet to see the F-14's, which is the most appropriate of all IMHO.

Also----why not do like modern CAG and CO planes? Keep the low-vis grey overall, but go with the brightly colored tailfins and nose stripes, etc. The above-linked SVF-111 VF-19 is like that. It's basically the F-18's low-vis camo, with VF-111 full-color markings.

All production launch bars are grey.

On the publicity pics, which are of a preproduction (non-final color scheme) sample, the launch bar was white.

As we all know, the production toys often differ from the preproduction pics, the most obvious recent example being the VF-0A.

Graham

Got mine today, and think I have a first for a QC error:

The launch bar on the nose is grey instead of white. Is it painted white on everyone else's? Mine is bare plastic.

How else is the rest of it?

Oh, and I love it when I fook myself by paying for overnight shipping and end up not being here when the package arrives...

The part on the front of the nose gear that goes up and down. On all real planes, it's white. And all Hase and Yamato VF-0's and -1's, it's white. And that way in the anime. So I really expected it to be white. First thing I'll paint now.

Anyways--well, mine literally exploded into pieces trying get the forward fuselage to move. After you "crack" the forward fuselage just a bit to unlock the tab, then you have to move it up and back? Those 2 little tan tabs? Well, even after unscrewing the grey parts, and separating the forward fuselage apart, it still wouldn't budge. (And having seen Yamato's supplemental instructions, and having it apart and knowing how it moves--I was moving it exactly how it was supposed to).

Eventually, I applied enough force that it broke the glue welds and stripped an internal screw, and the forward fuselage separated from the rest of the YF-19. But it still was locked together! One side had no parts any more, the other side was no longer screwed together. But it still held. So I gathered up the rest of the YF-19 parts from around the room, checked to make sure nothing had actually fractured (I really, really though it had snapped in half from the noise it made, and the explosion of parts---heart skipped a beat) and re-assembled the rear half of the valk.

So, twisting and praying some more, the remaining part of the forward fuselage 'lock' finally gave. Then I spent the next hour carefully sanding down all the pieces, putting the screws back in, gluing the other parts back in, and testing. So it works now. But not without exerting more force than it takes to unbolt parts of my car.

I am 100% certain that had I not un-screwed and disassembled as much of the forward fuselage as I could before hand, it WOULD have fractured, instead of merely "popping the glue joints and stripping a screw". I'm amazed no one's broken a YF-19 yet.

Basically--I was transforming it perfectly correctly, and supporting the "surrounding" parts as much as I could--and it preferred to strip out a screw and break parts off their glue welds than to move in the direction it was supposed to.

PS---GERWALK mode is a floppy mess IMHO.

Don't be afraid. It's a sturdy toy and not difficult to transform IMO.

I can never understand you guys that get your toys and then don't transform them for weeks or months. As soon as I get a new toy, I'm transforming it within minutes of getting it out of the box.

Graham

I can't really complain that much. Yes, gerwalk mode is floppy. And yes, I wish there was more movement in the ankles (for more posing possibilities in both gerwalk and battroid).

But as far as transforming the 19? Other than that extra force needed to collapse the fuselage/cockpit area and needing a toothpick or paper-clip to move that dark grey part in the backpack, I don't have any real problems transforming mine.

Thanks, Wicked Ace. Those schemes ain't too shabby (Actually, I like that "Scorpion" scheme a little more.) But I have another scheme in mind that I'm working/revising in this little brain of mine. ;)

Speaking of schemes, what about an Ivanov scheme for either the YF-19 or the YF-21? :huh:

Also, didn't someone mention that the YF-19 without its helmet or visor looks kinda like an Eva Unit? Wonder if anyone will be crazy enough (I mean that in a good way) to paint the 19 in one of those Eva color schemes.

Edited by Mog