Graham's Review of Yamato 1/60 Scale YF-19

Graham

It seems both of my landing gears don't swing out compleatly. Is this common or have I gotten a serious lemon.

As far as I know all of the 19's have landing gear that does not completely deploy. Check out the customizing Macross toys thread for the ongoing fixes that people are coming up with for landing gear and gunpod issues...

Right behind the head there are 4 vernier/circles in a square pattern. shipped these have tape over them, and I lost some paint removing it.

Tks for the info gobotfool, think i will apply some lighter fluid on that area before making any attempt to remove it. Seriously, im getting disappointed with the use of such cheapo techniques to protect the toy, if bandai can use plastic bags, why yamato cant do the same especially for such a high end product. Much less can be said to the quality of parts used and assembly work done

Tks for the info gobotfool, think i will apply some lighter fluid on that area before making any attempt to remove it. Seriously, im getting disappointed with the use of such cheapo techniques to protect the toy, if bandai can use plastic bags, why yamato cant do the same especially for such a high end product. Much less can be said to the quality of parts used and assembly work done

I don't think 3M Magic tapes are cheap. Other companies would just use clear plastic bags. The tape is just about the only thing on the YF19 that's isn't cheap! I'm not removing mine. LOL!

As far as I know all of the 19's have landing gear that does not completely deploy. Check out the customizing Macross toys thread for the ongoing fixes that people are coming up with for landing gear and gunpod issues...

Not mine. I forced mine open more and they clicked into place with no mods!!

I highly encourage everyone to try applying gentle pressure and force them out more while using your other hand to brace the opposite side of the engine nacelle while doing this. Don't use gorilla strength to do this, just try using slowing increasing force till it clicks into place.

Here is a pic of mine, note that I still have the gun pod issue:

IPB Image

Now for a pic to prove that mine is unmodified:

IPB Image

*Disclaimer* -I am in no way responsible for anyone attempting this and uses too much force and breaks something!! :ph34r:

-Kyp

Edited by Kyp Durron

*Disclaimer* -I am in no way responsible for anyone attempting this and uses too much force and breaks something!! :ph34r:

-Kyp

You are responsible for all the people that tried this during the minute it took you to add the disclaimer :lol:

Not mine. I forced mine open more and they clicked into place with no mods!!

I highly encourage everyone to try applying gentle pressure and force them out more while using your other hand to brace the opposite side of the engine nacelle while doing this. Don't use gorilla strength to do this, just try using slowing increasing force till it clicks into place.

-Kyp

Yikes! :o I think you were right to include the diclaimer. :)

So i finally got my 19s today. Only opened one of them. The landing gear doesnt

fully open not a big deal I'll work on that later as I got hru the others and check them out.

I had stress marks on the grey pieces in the fusealage. no big deal they werent severe so I loosened the

screws. the biggest hassle was pulling back and angleing it so that it would seperate. I shaved down the tan

tabs a bit and angled them back as well no its no problem now. I biggest gripe is thelack of lcoking tab for the

upper and lower body gonna have to figure something out for that. I have no clue whtat I'm gonna do.

took lots of pics though some good others blurry.

post-3216-1169496629_thumb.jpg

post-3216-1169496695_thumb.jpg

post-3216-1169496820_thumb.jpg

post-3216-1169496919_thumb.jpg

post-3216-1169496940_thumb.jpg

post-3216-1169496999_thumb.jpg

post-3216-1169497167_thumb.jpg

post-3216-1169497885_thumb.jpg

Edited by Macross73

Well, it worked for mine, but it's not for those who are either OK with them as is, or don't want to take the chance.

Still, I felt compelled to share my experience with mine. ;)

-Kyp

It worked for me too. If you wiggle the landing gear back and forth a bit (i'm assuming this loosens the white paint at the gears connecting point) and then try to slowly push it outward towards the gear door it seems to almost "click" into place. It looks very nice and lands nice and flat against the table.

Edited by emajnthis

took lots of pics though some good others blurry.

Ah, finally someone posted pics of the problem area's on the 19.

It's pretty hard to imagine where these are when you don't actualy own the toy. (yet)

Thanks Macross73!

Edited by Dante74

It worked for me too. If you wiggle the landing gear back and forth a bit (i'm assuming this loosens the white paint at the gears connecting point) and then try to slowly push it outward towards the gear door it seems to almost "click" into place. It looks very nice and lands nice and flat against the table.

Hey man, that's great! ^_^

I'm glad to see someone else be able to fix theirs without taking it apart, congrats!

So how is the rest of yours? Does the neck break apart OK for you too?

Nice pics BTW Macross73. B))

-Kyp

I'm glad to see someone else be able to fix theirs without taking it apart, congrats!

-Kyp

Thanks a lot for the fix!

yeah the neck on mine (with the proper pressure applied in the right places) breaks apart with fair ease, i didn't have to sand down the two tabs either so long as you push the neck at like a 50 degree angle towards the rear. It also helps if you pull the neck piece back one tab at a time. My wife keeps begging me to transform the toy, i just hope i don't have a heart attack when she does. :unsure:

-Kyp

Can some one snap a few pics of how the landing gear should look?

Im trying to decide if ill shave those pegs down or not. HWile mine seems fine, and i didnrt notice stress marks, thats not to say i just cant see them. M73's pics help, but is there a way to fgix this without dismantling the front?

Sure, just "break" the fuselage piece loose and lean the cockpit back -- there should be enough room to get a skinny file on the square pegs.

I've transformed 6 x YF-19 toys so far and have not encountered difficulting on any of them.

Are you sure you guys are transforming correctly?

I can't understand why there is any need to start sanding down or unscrewing things. It's not that difficult.

Graham

I've transformed 6 x YF-19 toys so far and have not encountered difficulting on any of them.

I can't understand why there is any need to start sanding down or unscrewing things. It's not that difficult.

Graham

Some-19s seem to be more difficult than others. I noticed a distinct difference between my two -19s. One theory is a bad batch. I got my first before Christmas and my second just recently -- don't know if there's anyting to this theory.

Edited by Wicked Ace

Graham--I have owned/transformed nearly every Transformer made from 1984-1988, entire collections of recent Transformers lines, and every Yamato except the VF-0. Plus various Bandai stuff. I consider myself pretty experienced with plastic transforming toys.

And the YF-19's forward fuselage would NOT separate, even with half of the neck parts removed and sitting in my lap, with only one of the tabs even locked in at that point. I have read every thread, and watched your video many times. I tried EVERYTHING, and it wouldn't budge, even when prying with screwdrivers.

Finally--- I've had it to battroid mode and back, I've had it apart (both on purpose and "exploding"), and know EXACTLY how the parts should and shouldn't move, and have held each piece of the neck in my hands and looked carefully (and sanded down) the locks and tabs that keep the neck together. And I'm transforming it now exactly how I did the very first time. If I was doing something wrong the first time, I think I would have realized what the problem was on subsequent transformations, or after I had it apart and was looking at all the hinges and tabs.

I spent literally over an hour on the neck---re-reading threads, re-watching the video to try to figure out what was going on. I spent less time on my 1st-gen YF-19 years ago! (and use less effort) It just wouldn't budge. I didn't "try for 5 seconds then resort to brute force". I tried for an hour--every direction, twisting, pulling, compressing, applying as much force as I dared---I bent the plastic many times, I greatly feared cracking it in half with as hard as I pulled. With my fingers, with my hands, with screwdrivers wedged between the tabs. It was the final effort, after an hour of attempts (the "it'll let go now or it'll NEVER let go" effort) that succeeded in separating the neck---only because the last remaining grey part broke out of the neck, and there was then NOTHING that the tabs could even hold onto. One single tab, holding onto an un-glued and un-screwed grey block, could still resist that much.

I wonder if I could have the opposite effect as Wicked Ace--give me a second one to open, and I bet it'll transform just fine...

I spent literally over an hour on the neck---re-reading threads, re-watching the video to try to figure out what was going on. It just wouldn't budge. I didn't "try for 5 seconds then resort to brute force". I tried for an hour--every direction, twisting, pulling, compressing, applying as much force as I dared---I bent the plastic many times, I greatly feared cracking it in half with as hard as I pulled. With my fingers, with my hands, with screwdrivers wedged between the tabs. It was the final effort, after an hour of attempts (the "it'll let go now or it'll NEVER let go" effort) that succeeded in separating the neck---only because the last remaining grey part broke out of the neck, and there was then NOTHING that the tabs could even hold onto. One single tab, holding onto an un-glued and un-screwed grey block, could still resist that much.

Goddamn, what is this? The crucification of Jesus Christ was less painful and agonizing than this!

Graham

Graham it is the hardest part of the transformation. Regardless if it's stuck with glue or not. I think I spent about 10-15 minutes trying make that thing slide back. Nothing was glued on mine and I do not think I broke anything (don't know if I have stress marks, didn't bother looking while transforming) while doing so, but it was damn hard to get it to move.

Yamato should definitely rework the parts involved with this transformation process.

I really don't understand all the frustrations you guys have. On my YF-19, i just wiggle the neck slightly so that it moves pass the tabs and then slide it down and have never had any problems so far (knock on wood). And as i have said i am pretty rough with a lot of my toys and my 19 has held up fine with me

The only concerns I have with the YF-19 are stressmarks on the grey blocks. They've got to redesign that part for more flexibility or replace those blocks with machined metal or diecast.

Our other option is to find a caster to recast those parts in higher grade material. Like what MyersJessee did for the vf-11b hip replacements.

Good thing I've got two 19's, 1 in Battroid, 1 in fighter. Just the occasional transformations for me. :D