New Star Trek Movie In 2009..

bandit29

lol hardly stalking since the forum software quite easily enables one to just glance at "Find posts by this user" in a quite convenient format to see if you did any debate over trivial minutae that is common in this section of MW. And you didn't disapoint. :D We're most all geeks to some degree here, but not a whole lot of dedicated Trekkies IIRC. Maybe at memoryalpha or the official site, I imagine. :lol:

I dunno, I lock my doors now.

Thank you for that. =\

Just watched the movie the other day. It was great visual eye-candy, some good humor and gags, lots of references to the original Trek, McCoy was really well done and the guy who played Pike was a believable character, overall, I was entertained.....but........my deep inner Trekkie self has a few dark thoughts:

What Temporal Prime Directive?

And all of Star Trek before this now exists in a parallel universe/alternate time line?

I guess if there's a sequel, it will follow this time line?

Is this the Macross II of Star Trek?

I read some really good comments on the new movie here:

http://blogcritics.org/video/article/movie...star-trek-2009/

Especially MC Burton's reply to the article

Edited by peter

Just watched the movie the other day. It was great visual eye-candy, some good humor and gags, lots of references to the original Trek, McCoy was really well done and the guy who played Pike was a believable character, overall, I was entertained.....but........my deep inner Trekkie self has a few dark thoughts:

And all of Star Trek before this now exists in a parallel universe/alternate time line?

The prequel Star Trek: Countdown (though I have not read it myself) gives vibes that the events that lead up the film take place in the 24th century TNG universe most trekkers are familiar with, with the Enterprise-E playing a major role in the whole Hobble star incident that sends the Narada and Spock back in time.

Depending on what your own personal views on quantum physics are, the old timeline actually ceases to exist completely, and a new set of events stem from the historical change - this is for the most how old Trek has handled it.

... Or you can argue that Spock/Nero get sent back to an alternate universe instead, which is more supported by actual quantum physics :p.

The last volume of the prequel suggests that the latter was what happened... though again, I'm only going by what memory alpha says and have not actually read it.

The prequel Star Trek: Countdown (though I have not read it myself) gives vibes that the events that lead up the film take place in the 24th century TNG universe most trekkers are familiar with, with the Enterprise-E playing a major role in the whole Hobble star incident that sends the Narada and Spock back in time.

Depending on what your own personal views on quantum physics are, the old timeline actually ceases to exist completely, and a new set of events stem from the historical change - this is for the most how old Trek has handled it.

... Or you can argue that Spock/Nero get sent back to an alternate universe instead, which is more supported by actual quantum physics :p.

The last volume of the prequel suggests that the latter was what happened... though again, I'm only going by what memory alpha says and have not actually read it.

Hmmm...

To make it more simple, let's just say that Star Trek used the DragonballZ concept of time travel. Spock (trunks) went back in time -- not to an alternative timeline, but the real timeline -- and met up with Kirk (Goku) to change the course of history. But as far as Spock (Trunks) is concerned, the future does not change for him. He still remembers the past as it happened originally, and he's not physically or metally affected by the changes that he made in the past, thus avoiding what Dr. Emmet Brown would call a time paradox that could destroy the universe . and if he does happen to return to the future, it will be still his same future, which is now a an alternate timeline because the original timeline got altered.

See? that was simple. Thank god for Dragonball Z. :p

You bring up a good point there. That is the sort of craziness (humanity magically maturing after thousands of years of barbarity, forming the one govt and abandoning currency) that never ever rang true for me in Trek. I think that was Rodenberry's idea to avoid really describing how humans in the future are governed.

Taksraven

Thats what I'd always assumed.

Remove money and you'd be left with bartering, that would be a step backwards. Make it C$ or just credits on a card its all the same even if the authorities give them out to the populous. I recon thats the way the reeboot will go in respect to money.

Why not? Just look back 100 years and see how much the real world has changed.

Specifically look at what Europe had to go through and compare to what it is now.

I won't deny that even today there is still many "wrongs" in this world and maybe

we won't make it the time span set by Star Trek, but hey growing up has never been easy.

Naah. I always thought that Douglas Adams always presented a more accurate view of the future of humanity in Hitch-Hikers. Even though Earth was destroyed at the start of the story I always thought that the rest of the beings in the universe represented human nature in more technological circumstances. In other words, the same bunch of morons, only with better technology.

I am a bit cynical though.

Taksraven

Thats what I'd always assumed.

Remove money and you'd be left with bartering, that would be a step backwards. Make it C$ or just credits on a card its all the same even if the authorities give them out to the populous. I recon thats the way the reboot will go in respect to money.

In a episode of DS9 they allude to people receiving credits for transporter use when Sisko describes when he first went to star fleet academy. Sisko would transport back home for diner every night for the first month. I would assume luxury services like transporters would be treated the same way though I don't know how they would handle civilian services industry.

Energy is not that scarce on major federation worlds so manufacturing would be significantly cheaper in the future with the resulting cost being less than it is now.

Naah. I always thought that Douglas Adams always presented a more accurate view of the future of humanity in Hitch-Hikers. Even though Earth was destroyed at the start of the story I always thought that the rest of the beings in the universe represented human nature in more technological circumstances. In other words, the same bunch of morons, only with better technology.

I am a bit cynical though.

Taksraven

See also the Luke Wilson film "Idiocracy."

I read some really good comments on the new movie here:

http://blogcritics.org/video/article/movie...star-trek-2009/

Especially MC Burton's reply to the article

The reply is in fact the most accurate comparison between the old and the new Treks

I have to say it, I enjoyed the movie but in fact this new trek it's not the same thing

and I hate the iBridge xD

I dunno, the guy lost all credibility when he listed First Contact as one of the best Trek films. Sure, Shakespeare the new film ain't, but let's be real, folks, the old movies weren't either. The last decade or so has not been kind to the Trek franchise. Voyager, Enterprise, and the Next Gen movies were all varying levels of horrible. The old movies had their ups (ST2) and downs (ST5). This new movie certainly has its holes, and a lot of them, though not quite as many as MC Burton seems upset by. That even discounting holes filled in by the prequel comic (terrible idea, by the way, making a comic prequel required reading).

This new Trek might not be as good as Roddenberry Trek, but it's pretty much head and shoulders over the Burman and Braga Trek.

This new Trek might not be as good as Roddenberry Trek, but it's pretty much head and shoulders over the Burman and Braga Trek.

Absolutely correct. B&B ran the franchise into the ground.

Taksraven

I dunno, the guy lost all credibility when he listed First Contact as one of the best Trek films. Sure, Shakespeare the new film ain't, but let's be real, folks, the old movies weren't either. The last decade or so has not been kind to the Trek franchise. Voyager, Enterprise, and the Next Gen movies were all varying levels of horrible. The old movies had their ups (ST2) and downs (ST5). This new movie certainly has its holes, and a lot of them, though not quite as many as MC Burton seems upset by. That even discounting holes filled in by the prequel comic (terrible idea, by the way, making a comic prequel required reading).

Comparing all the movies, I liked the space scenes in this movie the best. All the crap floating around...it seemed....more real? I dunno, I have no idea why, it just did. There was one scene in the beginning when the Kelvin was under attack. All kinds of explosions, noise and hell going on inside of the ship, then the bulkhead in the corridor gives way and someone gets sucked out into....silence. I thought that was kind of nice.

I really liked the way the Ent-A looked on screen....it looked good in space, but the Ent-D and Ent-E didn't have the same feel....I can't put my finger on it, but it just didn't look right. This movie obviously looks different than the way space and the ships looked like in ST 1- 6, but it looked good....better than the Next Gen movies.

There were things I loved about the directing in this movie, and things that I hated. I did love a lot about the space scenes. That scene you mention, Pete, was my favourite shot in the movie. The only thing I did not like about the space scenes was that everything went by way too fast. It's like the director did not believe in a little thing called "establishing shots" You never get a really, really good look at the Enterprise. There's one full shot of it with nothing else going on to distract as the crew is heading up, but it goes by really quick. They did some great stuff with the space scenes, I just felt that they didn't really let the viewer have time to appreciate much of it.

There were things I loved about the directing in this movie, and things that I hated. I did love a lot about the space scenes. That scene you mention, Pete, was my favourite shot in the movie. The only thing I did not like about the space scenes was that everything went by way too fast. It's like the director did not believe in a little thing called "establishing shots" You never get a really, really good look at the Enterprise. There's one full shot of it with nothing else going on to distract as the crew is heading up, but it goes by really quick. They did some great stuff with the space scenes, I just felt that they didn't really let the viewer have time to appreciate much of it.

I did not like the warp shots like when the Narada comes out of Warp after chasing Spock's ship. It looked to much like Star Wars.

I did not like the warp shots like when the Narada comes out of Warp after chasing Spock's ship. It looked to much like Star Wars.

I liked the old Trek movies best for the warp shots. It always looked so stylish. Never understood why they made warp look so dull Next Gen onward.

I watched the movie, how the "evil guy" ship destroyed some militar ships if it was a mining ship??? (if i recall correctly)

Short version: Because it's from the future, because it's Romulan, and because he (according to the comic) raided some military installations etc before traveling back in time. And sheer size. One basic Trek rule is that Romulan weapons do more raw damage than just about anybody else's.

I liked the old Trek movies best for the warp shots. It always looked so stylish. Never understood why they made warp look so dull Next Gen onward.

I actually loved the new warp effects, I think they look really slick.

I actually loved the new warp effects, I think they look really slick.

I was referring to how they refer coming out of warp I did not really care about the rest of the warp travel but the exiting from warp was to much like Star Wars.

I watched it again.....still like it. I really, really hope that they make more of this stuff. I can live with an altered timeline. Stuff that stood out for me this time around:

The scene where MCoy and Kirk meet on the shuttlecraft....is that how he gets his nickname Bones? Cool stuff.

The tradition of horrible red-shirt death during the space jump scene with Kirk and Sulu.

Was it just me, or did some scenes make you guys a little emo too?

Bar scene when Pike was talking to Kirk about his dad on the Kelvin "Your father was the captain of a star ship for 12 minutes, he saved 800 lives, including your mother's, and yours. I dare you to do better"

Edited by peter

Duke Togo is like a walrus, he bides his time, waiting in the shadows for his moment to strike. Page 51 was not that time...

I thought that the walrus was Paul?? ;)

Taksraven

Was it just me, or did some scenes make you guys a little emo too?

Mostly just the opening scene when Kirk is born and everyone knows daddy is going to die. But then the weird nurse with the huge eyes kept throwing it off for me.

Dunno, ever since I've had a kid, scenes like that really tug at me. I guess having a kid makes you a wussy :lol:

Oh, and also the scene where Spock Prime is watching Vulcan be destroyed. Despite the physical improbability and all, it was still a pretty moving moment.

Vostok 7

Edited by Vostok 7

Short version: Because it's from the future, because it's Romulan, and because he (according to the comic) raided some military installations etc before traveling back in time. And sheer size. One basic Trek rule is that Romulan weapons do more raw damage than just about anybody else's.

The Countdown comic establishes that the mining ship was upgraded at a secret, high-tech Romulan military outpost shortly after the destruction of Romulus. Apparently the tech is partially based on Borg technology.