New Star Trek Movie In 2009..

bandit29

Just saw the film in IMAX, and it was friggin awesome!!! Being an old trekkie (sigh), I was worried when I saw the first movie photos of the crew; they all looked like they belonged at a star trek convention! But after the trailers, and the movie reviews I got excited about Star Trek once again. I really enjoyed the "new" enterprise and it's crew. All the main players had their special moments and there were plenty of "old trek" references which was nice. I have to admit, I did not fully

understand the whole "time-travel" storyline, and as much as I hate to admit this; old Spock being there felt like it was

"forced" on the film. I got the same feeling about Kirk being in Generations, but that is my only nit-pick. The film was fantastic, and I can't wait for the next one!!! ^_^

I'd honestly suggest seeing it again. My Dad had the same issue with the time travel thing the first go around. We saw it again this past week and he enjoyed it even more and was able to pick up on the elements he missed.

I was pretty impressed... my dad, whose usually the least plot-oriented person ever (He asked me during the THIRD LotR who 'the blond haired fairy guy' was) seemed to be able to keep track of the time travel stuff pretty well. I think they did a good job of not going overboard with time travel nonsense, which is usually such a pitfall in stories.

I think they mixed in just enough time travel to back up the whole "this isn't your father's Star Trek" line from the trailer. They have that one scene that describes the alternate reality thing and it's like BAM, deal with it, we're in new territory now. I hope this stays in theaters a while and gets put on Bluray mighty quick.

If my understanding of pop-quantum physics correctly, there is actually no such thing as time, but that the universe is constantly expanding and splitting itself into multiple bubble copies of itself, constantly generating multiple copies (universes), hence when traveling in time, you actually didn't go back in time, but just to another universe where that "time period" exists.

The other more simple approach is to simply state that the universe is infinite, if it's infinite, then the probability of there being a world exactly like earth is assured. There could also be a world were my VF-0's shoulders didn't self-destruct, but the probability of that would be low.

Edited by Ghost Train

If my understanding of pop-quantum physics correctly, there is actually no such thing as time, but that the universe is constantly expanding and splitting itself into multiple bubble copies of itself, constantly generating multiple copies (universes), hence when traveling in time, you actually didn't go back in time, but just to another universe where that "time period" exists.

Yeah, that explanation cleared things right up <_<

:lol:

Or Spock didn't expect this Enterprise to be radically different from his. Given Kirk and company's experience with the Mirror Enterprise which was pretty much the pre-refit Constitution commanded by Pike. In that universe Kirk killed Pike for command of the Enterprise.

This alternate reality apparently has a distain for Jeffries tubes.

Oh if you are wondering why engineering looks like beer brewery it is because it is a beer brewery.

This movie is the last Star Trek that Majel Barrett worked on before her passing.

In would be nice to see a version of her first Star Trek character in the sequel, Number One.

Yes Star Trek's first First Officer was a woman. Though in this alternate reality the Enterprise was constructed in 2055. The prime universe Enterprise was commissioned on 2045 under Robert April.

Oh with thorough research I have established that is in fact an Alternate Reality not an Alternate Timeline due to certain facts.

1. James Kirk had an older brother in the Prime reality, George Samuel Kirk. In the Alternate reality there was no George Samuel Kirk.

2. George Kirk was a farmer in the Prime reality. There are many references that James Kirk grew up in an Iowa farm. With exception of a time during his teens at Tarsus IV.

Prime reality

* March 22 (Stardate 1277.1) - James T. Kirk is born to George and Winona Kirk in Iowa. (TOS: "Where No Man Has Gone Before"; ENT: "In a Mirror, Darkly, Part II"; Star Trek)

Alternate reality

* On stardate 2233.04, the Romulan mining vessel Narada, from year 2387, engages the USS Kelvin, resulting in the destruction of the Kelvin and the death of George Kirk; James T. Kirk is born on Medical Shuttle 37 as it departs the Kelvin. (Star Trek)

Alternate reality + Prime reality = headache approaching on the starboard bow.

Taksraven

Or Spock didn't expect this Enterprise to be radically different from his. Given Kirk and company's experience with the Mirror Enterprise which was pretty much the pre-refit Constitution commanded by Pike. In that universe Kirk killed Pike for command of the Enterprise.

This alternate reality apparently has a distain for Jeffries tubes.

Oh if you are wondering why engineering looks like beer brewery it is because it is a beer brewery.

This movie is the last Star Trek that Majel Barrett worked on before her passing.

In would be nice to see a version of her first Star Trek character in the sequel, Number One.

Yes Star Trek's first First Officer was a woman. Though in this alternate reality the Enterprise was constructed in 2055. The prime universe Enterprise was commissioned on 2045 under Robert April.

Oh with thorough research I have established that is in fact an Alternate Reality not an Alternate Timeline due to certain facts.

1. James Kirk had an older brother in the Prime reality, George Samuel Kirk. In the Alternate reality there was no George Samuel Kirk.

2. George Kirk was a farmer in the Prime reality. There are many references that James Kirk grew up in an Iowa farm. With exception of a time during his teens at Tarsus IV.

Prime reality

* March 22 (Stardate 1277.1) - James T. Kirk is born to George and Winona Kirk in Iowa. (TOS: "Where No Man Has Gone Before"; ENT: "In a Mirror, Darkly, Part II"; Star Trek)

Alternate reality

* On stardate 2233.04, the Romulan mining vessel Narada, from year 2387, engages the USS Kelvin, resulting in the destruction of the Kelvin and the death of George Kirk; James T. Kirk is born on Medical Shuttle 37 as it departs the Kelvin. (Star Trek)

3 possabilities!

-New Jim Kirk actually "is" George Kirk!!! shocking!

-George Kirk was erased by previous time travel episodes of "Enterprise"

-George Kirk was adopted!!!

Actually, just thought of a couple more Scandelous explanations.

-George Kirk "does" exist in this timeline, but he has a different mother (these are "Kirks" we're talking about)

-George Kirk was from the future in the original timeline, and now has been erased in general.

-George Kirk was an alien who hypnotized the Kirk family into believing he was one of them.

See, there are plenty of possaiblities here, NEW MOVIE RULES, OLD TREK DROOLS!

Edited by Keith

3 possabilities!

-New Jim Kirk actually "is" George Kirk!!! shocking!

-George Kirk was erased by previous time travel episodes of "Enterprise"

-George Kirk was adopted!!!

Actually, just thought of a couple more Scandelous explanations.

-George Kirk "does" exist in this timeline, but he has a different mother (these are "Kirks" we're talking about)

-George Kirk was from the future in the original timeline, and now has been erased in general.

-George Kirk was an alien who hypnotized the Kirk family into believing he was one of them.

See, there are plenty of possaiblities here, NEW MOVIE RULES, OLD TREK DROOLS!

Ahem... George Samuel Kirk

post-9033-1242543657_thumb.jpg

He's dead Jim...

Why is questioning the science in science fiction the *thing* to do nowadays?

I understand it makes for great, involved conversations but some of you guys act as if you have starships hidden away in your garages and know firsthand how anti-matter, warp drives, proton torpedos and time travel works.

Edited by Chewie

Its easy to have digs at the science in science fiction because most of us fanboys think we know a lot about it. (Even if we don't)

If we picked apart the fiction aspect (especially shallow characterisation, poor plotting and crappy storylines which is the curse of most SF) we would be knocking down the supporting wall and the whole thing would collapse.

Taksraven

Its easy to have digs at the science in science fiction because most of us fanboys think we know a lot about it. (Even if we don't)

If we picked apart the fiction aspect (especially shallow characterisation, poor plotting and crappy storylines which is the curse of most SF) we would be knocking down the supporting wall and the whole thing would collapse.

Taksraven

Touché.

Carry on, nerds. (=P)

I understand it makes for great, involved conversations but some of you guys act as if you have starships hidden away in your garages and know firsthand how anti-matter, warp drives, proton torpedos and time travel works.

Wait - who told you that? You're not supposed to know! :)

Ok, there's this talk about kirk's older brother.

How about the guy who was walking on the side of the road when young kirk's convertible drove through. Young kirk called out to him when he passed by, although i can't remember the name. any relation to kirk? could he be the older brother or someone else in Star Trek continuity?

Hey! Stay outta my garage!

I was browsing Entertainment Earth and I notice that there are more Hot Wheels Star Trek ships coming.. They have some listings with for the

New movie Enterprise

http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo...?number=MTP8509

Romulan Narada (Nero's ship)

http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo...?number=MTP8510

USS Saratoga (same as Reliant)

http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo...?number=MTP8523

Klingon Bird of Prey HMS Bounty version (from The Voyage Home)

http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo...?number=MTP8524

Edited by sharky

Saw the HotWheels Reliant today. Worse than I expected. Main complaint: lack of paint. Anyone who's actually researched the paint scheme in order to build a model (cough cough) knows that the Reliant has more accent/color paint on it than just about any other Federation ship. There's a LOT of blue/blue-grey/grey-blue. And not little stripes or a subtle aztec pattern, but big, obvious areas. The Ent-A etc does have a lot of colored areas, but they're all very subtle. Reliant's are as obvious as it gets, even more distinct than most of an Excelsior-class's markings.

They're ALL missing on the toy. Except for one stripe around the bridge.

(gaps and bendy nacelles are par for the course--I expect gaps on all toys where rubbery plastic is mated to diecast, and bendy nacelles are just inherent to any Trek toy with solid nacelles)

I was browsing Entertainment Earth and I notice that there are more Hot Wheels Star Trek ships coming.. They have some listings with for the

New movie Enterprise

http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo...?number=MTP8509

Romulan Narada (Nero's ship)

http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo...?number=MTP8510

USS Saratoga (same as Reliant)

http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo...?number=MTP8523

Klingon (NOT "Kinglon") Bird of Prey HMS Bounty version (from The Voyage Home)

http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo...?number=MTP8524

1:50 scale? Damn, those must be huge! :ph34r:

So is it only good if you're talking about what Skynet knows about John Connor (or vice versa), which Transformer makes up which Constructicon, or the ultimate fate of Shaak-Ti? :ph34r:

Ok, there's this talk about kirk's older brother.

How about the guy who was walking on the side of the road when young kirk's convertible drove through. Young kirk called out to him when he passed by, although i can't remember the name. any relation to kirk? could he be the older brother or someone else in Star Trek continuity?

Jim called him Johnny

George Samuel Kirk was to appear in 2009's Star Trek, where he would have been played by Spencer Daniels. Scenes featuring Daniels as Sam Kirk were filmed, but the character was entirely cut from the final release. The one remaining scene of Daniels playing Sam Kirk, in which Jim Kirk calls out to him as he's driving past him in their step-father's corvette, was altered to change the name of Daniels' character to "Johnny", apparently a friend of Jim's.

Since that didn't happen Sam does not exist in this continuity.

Since that didn't happen Sam does not exist in this continuity.

Not necessarily. the timeline only changed from the time Nero entered the picture, so that would be the time when Jim was born. Anything before that could have gone the same way as in original canon, thus his older brother sam might be existing, albeit unmentioned. unless there was something in the 2009 movie which referred to jim as an only child.

So is it only good if you're talking about what Skynet knows about John Connor (or vice versa), which Transformer makes up which Constructicon, or the ultimate fate of Shaak-Ti? :ph34r:

Those are included in the sometimes over hyped debates that abound (and not entirely on MW) about the science of the science fiction material in question. I wasn't trying to say not to or to knock it, just asking why it's such big thing to do now.

It used to be "MAN WHAT AN AWESOME (or terrible) MOVIE! THE ENTERPRISE WENT ZOOM-ZOOM!!!!!" whereas now it's *checks pocket protector, tape on glasses* "The Enterprise was clearly not going warp 4 as the schematics on www.nerdrageabouttheenterprisesenginesoutput.com clearly state that the NCC-1701-A's engines could only sustain warp 3.424 and then only at intervals of 8.2 minutes without serious dilithium crystal decay. This movie is crap."

You're watching a movie set in the future after WW3. There are 9,000 alien species that can all speak fluent english. Man has a united government that no longer uses any kind of currency. Somewhere in there you have to start accept the craziness of it all, even if as I said, it makes for great debates and conversations. =P

PS - Uxi, kind of creepy with the references on the threads I frequent most. Stalker.

Edited by Chewie

Man has a united government that no longer uses any kind of currency. Somewhere in there you have to start accept the craziness of it all, even if as I said, it makes for great debates and conversations. =P

You bring up a good point there. That is the sort of craziness (humanity magically maturing after thousands of years of barbarity, forming the one govt and abandoning currency) that never ever rang true for me in Trek. I think that was Rodenberry's idea to avoid really describing how humans in the future are governed.

Taksraven

You bring up a good point there. That is the sort of craziness (humanity magically maturing after thousands of years of barbarity, forming the one govt and abandoning currency) that never ever rang true for me in Trek. I think that was Rodenberry's idea to avoid really describing how humans in the future are governed.

Taksraven

Why not? Just look back 100 years and see how much the real world has changed.

Specifically look at what Europe had to go through and compare to what it is now.

I won't deny that even today there is still many "wrongs" in this world and maybe

we won't make it the time span set by Star Trek, but hey growing up has never been easy.

1:50 scale? Damn, those must be huge! :ph34r:

Yeah, the 1:50 deal is bogus, and all the toys are about the same physical size yet the Enterprise D is suppose to be way bigger. So, they are not even the same scale among themselves. BTW the "Kinglon" was a typo, give me a break. :p

Edited by sharky

Taksraven

Nah more like as the Metrons said humans still have a thin veneer of civilization.

In Earth Star Trek history two events and two individuals made humanity shriking not to become like Klingons or Romulans in attitude.

Kahn Noonien Sigh of the Eugenics War and Colonel Green of the Third World War.

Both having superiority complex and Eugenics in their agenda. Even Kodos the Executioner of Tarsus IV subscribed to Eugenics theories.

That is why people like Julian Bashir brings bad collective memory for humans in Star Trek.

In a way Zefram Cochrane was the human version of Surak and Kahless directing the human drive to explore space.

According to TNG Australia was the last country to join United Earth.

Those are included in the sometimes over hyped debates that abound (and not entirely on MW) about the science of the science fiction material in question. I wasn't trying to say not to or to knock it, just asking why it's such big thing to do now.

It used to be "MAN WHAT AN AWESOME (or terrible) MOVIE! THE ENTERPRISE WENT ZOOM-ZOOM!!!!!" whereas now it's *checks pocket protector, tape on glasses* "The Enterprise was clearly not going warp 4 as the schematics on www.nerdrageabouttheenterprisesenginesoutput.com clearly state that the NCC-1701-A's engines could only sustain warp 3.424 and then only at intervals of 8.2 minutes without serious dilithium crystal decay. This movie is crap."

You're watching a movie set in the future after WW3. There are 9,000 alien species that can all speak fluent english. Man has a united government that no longer uses any kind of currency. Somewhere in there you have to start accept the craziness of it all, even if as I said, it makes for great debates and conversations. =P

PS - Uxi, kind of creepy with the references on the threads I frequent most. Stalker.

lol hardly stalking since the forum software quite easily enables one to just glance at "Find posts by this user" in a quite convenient format to see if you did any debate over trivial minutae that is common in this section of MW. And you didn't disapoint. :D We're most all geeks to some degree here, but not a whole lot of dedicated Trekkies IIRC. Maybe at memoryalpha or the official site, I imagine. :lol:

Taksraven

I can only imagine the hell and fury that trekkies would have raised if Uhura had swiped a credit card after getting her drinks at the bar. :p

lol hardly stalking since the forum software quite easily enables one to just glance at "Find posts by this user" in a quite convenient format to see if you did any debate over trivial minutae that is common in this section of MW. And you didn't disapoint. :D We're most all geeks to some degree here, but not a whole lot of dedicated Trekkies IIRC. Maybe at memoryalpha or the official site, I imagine. :lol:

We drove them all off with pitch forks during the great Harmony Gold purge of 1874.