New Star Trek Movie In 2009..

bandit29

what bugged me about that line was that archer was born in 2112, and the year in the film is 2258, so if it was in fact the same archer, that would mean he was well into his 100's by the time the the transporter incident occurred. and obviously it's not the Porthos from the show.

most likely it's not really the same archer, and they threw in the name and details just as an in joke.

It seemed to have the desired effect though, most people in theaters had a giggle during that scene.

If they wanted to reboot star trek why not just "REBOOT" it, instead of going back in time altering the time line and all that jazz. Theres been other movies and shows that have been rebooted without the need for a link to the original. I'm really growing tired of all these time travelling story lines that have been going on non-stop through out star trek and other sci fi shows, can't they just do with out it.

The reboot just wasn't needed here. Most of the plot can be done just by ignoring previous events, of course, especially if they don't have relevence. Kirk's parentage, etc don't need to enter the picture if the main character isn't Kirk. Can't there be another young brash guy? If it must be Kirk and Spock (which I like the idea of and Quinto certainly looks the part), why does the entire supporting cast of the original series also need to be represented? I could have bought it if it was just the "big three" (Kirk, Spock, McCoy)... maybe Scotty, but all the others either had to be much younger or a retcon is now needed for them to be a bunch of mediocre delinquents in the original series timeframe. There isn't another Asian who knows martial arts in Starfleet in the same timeframe as Kirk? There isn't another black communications chick? Another Russian who doesn't have to be retconned as a freak prodigy instead of just being a wet behind the ears young guy with a Monkeys/Beatles haircut? Why not just give them all different names so suspension of disbelief can be confined to the science instead of the fiction?

Make it a Vulcan colony world instead of Vulcan itself and there's nothing to say the story couldn't have happened in the original series timeframe with some creative writing.

But it's easier to fall back into a favorite of star trek drek and go with time travel. Again. :blink:

Who cares, unlike 90% of the rest of the Trek movies and the recent shows and the recent time traveling plots, this movie was, engaging and accessible. I realize that these ideas are antithetical to what many trekkies love about the series but just that core group of elitist hardcore fans really isn't deep or wealthy enough to keep the franchise afloat.

Could it have been the adventures of Captain <some new guy> and his vulcan first officer and a bridge crew of people we don't know and don't care about in some part of the federation we've never heard of and a planet we don't care about? Sure, it could have... but considering this movie has already made almost double the previous highest grossing Trek movie of all time and something like 5 times what the last movie made...

I totally disagree. Saw Star Trek today and thought it was a solid film. Part of what I liked about the film was the familiarity with the characters. By using the characters everyone knows and loves the writers didn't have to work so hard getting the audience to know and love them which frees up screen time for something a bit more exciting. If it wasn't Kirk being born in the first scene I probably wouldn't have cared so much about what was going on. Some vulcan in a fist fight? Who cares? That's not to say I loved the time travel aspects but I've accepted them as part of the ST universe and ST was in DESPERATE need of a reboot. Kudos to the folks involved, hopefully future installments can make it seem like time travel is a done deal.

EDIT - Disagree with UXI that is that they could/should have used a new cast.

Edited by jenius

what bugged me about that line was that archer was born in 2112, and the year in the film is 2258, so if it was in fact the same archer, that would mean he was well into his 100's by the time the the transporter incident occurred. and obviously it's not the Porthos from the show.

most likely it's not really the same archer, and they threw in the name and details just as an in joke.

The writer of A Mirror Darkly said off-screen (thus non-canon) text on Archer's file, he died the day after attending the Enterprise's maiden voyage, which is 2045.

For all we know Archer not going on that trip his life was extended.

Also note that there are delays in designing and constructing the Constitution class in this timeline.

I finally saw this movie last night. I'm a fan of TOS, and thought this movie was quite entertaining for a "reboot" while still trying to acknowledge its roots. And as we all know, Star Trek has alot of things you have to acknowledge, especially in regards to TOS/TMP characters. Very curious to see where they take this franchise and cast.

USS Kelvin

USSKelvin.jpg

Tri-nacelle starship

newStartrekship2.jpg

Double secondary hull starship

newStartrekship3.jpg

These three ships appear to be of the same generation judging by the nacelle. It is said there is a two nacelled saucer Miranda class like ship but I haven't got a solid image yet.

USS Enterprise

USS_Enterprise_alternate_reality.jpg

Kobayashi Maru and the Ever Lasting Klingon Battlecruiser

newStartrekship5.jpg

newStartrekship6.jpg

Too bad the Klingon scenes were not included. We would have got a more solid look at these battlecruisers.

I wouldn't be surprised if the next movie will have some classical Federation vs Klingon fighting. Or Federation vs Romulan fighting. Or maybe a big 3-way :lol:. The great thing with the TOS/TMP era is that there was so much fighting going on that it's a rich possibility of seeing warships go at it. None of that TNG-era "Let's-Offend-No One-Feel-Good" nature BS.

Edited by Warmaker

Suppose the next Trek film or the one after that is a remake of "Space Seed". Who would be cast as Khan?

I have no idea. I hope they never do that though. I think it would get rather lame if all they did was go back and rehash old episodes from the series. also doing a movie version of space seed would almost guarantee a remake of Wrath of khan, and that would be the worst thing ever.

I have no idea. I hope they never do that though. I think it would get rather lame if all they did was go back and rehash old episodes from the series. also doing a movie version of space seed would almost guarantee a remake of Wrath of khan, and that would be the worst thing ever.

Yeah, what would they even call it, Star Trek Nemsis? Oh wait... :)

At times, i thought the movie felt more like starwars or american high school drama and not like star trek at all. As for making the new movie, i felt it unnecessary to include a time travel plot or have old characters. I believe they still could have made a great movie with a new crew, just like what they have done before with the TV shows, new crew, new ship etc.......And even in those shows you didn't really have to have known anything about previous Star Treks just to watch it.

Core fans would watch anything star trek, and casual movie goers would watch it but that does not mean its attracting new fans. Whether it be a Reboot or new Story/crew, it still would not change peoples minds who have already have a stereotypical view of a show they have avoided before. I have a friend who has never seen a star trek in his life, and refuses to watch it even this new movie, which i have told him it has nothing to do with the old stuff. Its the image of the geek who lives with his parents that is still associated with star trek or sci fi in general that needs to be broken.

Edit:- Oh yeah since the vulcans have been in space longer than humans, they should have many colonies already? so how are they endangered?

Edited by kung flu

well, obviously with over 200 million in the bank, your friend is in the minority. I have film snob friends, including one who was the director of a well known film festival who went to this Trek (first Trek movie ever) and loved it.

well, obviously with over 200 million in the bank, your friend is in the minority. I have film snob friends, including one who was the director of a well known film festival who went to this Trek (first Trek movie ever) and loved it.

lol, if sales are the measure of success, Uwe Boll, Schumacher, and Bay are creative masters. If I drudge up some anecdotes about a friend of mine who graduated from the USC film school, will that give it any credibility?

No, no, no, you got that wrong - you meant who would play Khans chest! :lol:

:lol:

I say we have a Next Generation tie in. Stone Cold Steve Austin can be Jean-Luc Picard while Danny DeVito can play Worf. :ph34r:

lol, if sales are the measure of success, Uwe Boll, Schumacher, and Bay are creative masters. If I drudge up some anecdotes about a friend of mine who graduated from the USC film school, will that give it any credibility?

I say we have a Next Generation tie in. Stone Cold Steve Austin can be Jean-Luc Picard while Danny DeVito can play Worf. :ph34r:

yeah, uwe boll movies make so much money :rolleyes: .

I was directly responding to kung flu's anecdote about non trekkies not liking Trek or not giving it a chance, not trying to make any other point but considering how you completely misrepresented that in order to further your sad embitterment of the fact that people out there are enjoying this movie...

I rate this movie thus:

fun: yay

sfx: yay

plot: nay

Two out of three aren't bad. The rest is just picking a nit that's fun.

Why are you enjoying the rape of childhoods? :lol:

On a happier note, I did get the 6 disc Blu-ray set from Costco for only $65 bucks. $10 a movie is not bad at all. You want a Trek masterpiece, it's TWOK! "Khaaaaaaaaaaan!"

Why are you enjoying the rape of childhoods? :lol:

I wouldn't say it was raping child hoods since they actually made this as a sequel and prequel to the old star treks :lol:

If they rebooted it without a connection to the original, and if it was a crap reboot then i would say my child hood was raped :lol:

Overall I liked the movie, some of characters i didn't like in it like chekov, I thoght he was way worst than the original. Great Simon Pegg managed to portray a good scots accent :lol:

So you basically paid for I, II, III, IV and VI, while getting V for free.

I generally only like II and VI, the rest far behind. I like pieces of III and IV as a continuation of that arc (mostly hate the Genesis planet and whale/1980s stuff). Not the norm, I know I prefer at least pieces of V to most of IV (excepting the "continuation").

I wouldn't be surprised if the next movie will have some classical Federation vs Klingon fighting. Or Federation vs Romulan fighting. Or maybe a big 3-way :lol:. The great thing with the TOS/TMP era is that there was so much fighting going on that it's a rich possibility of seeing warships go at it. None of that TNG-era "Let's-Offend-No One-Feel-Good" nature BS.

Yeah maybe, but there was always more to Trek than space battles. What about the seeking new worlds and exploring crap.....

Taksraven

Yeah maybe, but there was always more to Trek than space battles. What about the seeking new worlds and exploring crap.....

Taksraven

We've had 20+ years of that, it's borring, I say more boom!

Taksraven

sure, they can seek out and explore new worlds... and then blast the crap out of what they find there.

sure, they can seek out and explore new worlds... and then blast the crap out of what they find there.

Well thats close to what I would like to see. Romulans, Klingons, Borg, whatever..... Its all been done before. Time to add a new and hopefully interesting enemy to the Star Trek canon.

Taksraven

Well thats close to what I would like to see. Romulans, Klingons, Borg, whatever..... Its all been done before. Time to add a new and hopefully interesting enemy to the Star Trek canon.

Taksraven

How about the Robotech Masters........ ducks to avoid incoming missiles and furniture.

Seriously if they wanted to go the whole different direction how about an all powerful armada like the Zentradei, only not 50 ft tall people. You could blast the crap outta them all day and there'd still be more to blast.

How about the Robotech Masters........ ducks to avoid incoming missiles and furniture.

Seriously if they wanted to go the whole different direction how about an all powerful armada like the Zentradei, only not 50 ft tall people. You could blast the crap outta them all day and there'd still be more to blast.

Wasn't that the Dominion? Which really livened up DS9, btw.

The Enterprise travels back in time and discovers the Empire....Star Wars Vs Star Trek: Requiem.

Edited by peter

Wasn't that the Dominion? Which really livened up DS9, btw.

Agreed. Loved the story arc, and kept DS9 fresh. At first, I thought it was just an excuse for more space pew pew which always resonated contrary to the whole peaceful space exploration & Federation utopia thing. But the dominion arc was interesting, because they were kind of like the "Anti-Federation," and it made Starfleet and the UFP question their own beliefs, and perhaps even do things unbecoming of the Federation in order to survive. Good stuff.

Agreed. Loved the story arc, and kept DS9 fresh. At first, I thought it was just an excuse for more space pew pew which always resonated contrary to the whole peaceful space exploration & Federation utopia thing. But the dominion arc was interesting, because they were kind of like the "Anti-Federation," and it made Starfleet and the UFP question their own beliefs, and perhaps even do things unbecoming of the Federation in order to survive. Good stuff.

True by far some of the best of the whole franchise.

Yeah that stuff is pretty cool. What season does that stuff take off in? I used to always sneer at DS9 and prefered B5... but they flip flopped somewhere along the way. Mostly, I was disapointed with teh anti-climactic nature of the way JMS conducted adn resolved the Shadow War while the progress and conclusion of the Dominion War is eminently much more satisfying.

We've had 20+ years of that, it's borring, I say more boom!

Exactly, more conflict tossed in here and there.

Let's face it, exploration and diplomacy is good, but if practically an entire season is focused on it, there isn't any sort of "edge" for these powerful navies.

TNG was great but I yearned for more battles. You get glimpses on rare occasions, and always wanted more. Just not enough of it.

Voyager? Yawn.

DS9? I watched it when it first came out but drifted away. BORING. However, towards the last 2 seasons, when the Dominion popped up, it got more interesting. The Dominion War FINALLY provided the show a strong backdrop of events. You finally see more fleet actions. You finally see the TNG-era Federation not be a bunch of pu**ies for once... maybe because someone had to repeatedly kick them in the nuts for that :lol:

The TOS/TMP era timeline? Conflicts were a dime a dozen. The Klingons ARE extremely aggressive. The Romulans, as always, being sneaky and aggressive. And the Federation never backed down from a fight, heck, it dived into it at the drop of a hat, i.e. the whole Organian incident where the Klingons and Federation were about to dive face first into each other in a huge war, and Kirk was GAME for it. Only the Organians prevented the conflict, otherwise, Starfleet's best crew, best captain, and flagship of the fleet weren't doing anything to prevent a war. Heck, Kirk's mission was to entice the Organians to allow Starfleet to use their planet for critical strategic reasons for WHEN (not *if*) conflict broke out.

Not to mention Starfleet's female crewmen wore less.