New Star Trek Movie In 2009..

bandit29

I'm sure that if Nero's crew hadn't arrived Kirk's folks would of probably been on shore leave in their "home" in Iowa and kirk would of been properly born there.

My theory is because of the events taking place it caused Kirk's mother so much stress that she gave birth slightly premature thus having him born on a shuttle than Iowa.

OR, maybe depending on the Kirk family residence the birth certificate would say "Born under Iowa regulation" or some BS and not "Born Stardate XXX.X onboard U.S.S. Kelvin."

The movie was more awesome than it had any right to be, despite Chekov. McCoy definately stole the show, but everything was solid through out, with a surprising number of references thrown in. If I had one complaint, it's that they didn't do this sooner. To hell with Q, Voyager, the Borg, and all of the other tired ass dead weight that the past sequal series dragged in. I say keep this a movie only series, keep repeating events to a minimum, and try and keep this cast together, and things should work out ok from now on.

What this series most reminded me of, was the one series that took the best from Original ST, and boiled it down into a kickas space adventure. Yes, Uchuu Senkan Yamato. Just enough mix between action, & tongue in cheek sci-fi to properly balance out.

I'm only 20 mins (or less) from "that Iowa town" and I can tell you that it's fairly simple:

Kirk will be born there. "New Kirk" was raised there. :)

(remember, Roddenberry himself approved it, even on-screen movie canon can't over-ride that IMHO)

PS---as for Kirk being born in a ship---I figure it's the same as the babies that are born in airliners (especially if said airliner is over the ocean and not even in any particular nation's airspace)---wherever the parents say on the birth certificate.

You know, the mods really should change the "set your phasers to snore" thing on the title. I think it has been established that this movie was NOT boring in any way, shape, or form. It should be the complete opposite of "snore" whatever that would be.

You know, the mods really should change the "set your phasers to snore" thing on the title. I think it has been established that this movie was NOT boring in any way, shape, or form. It should be the complete opposite of "snore" whatever that would be.

Seconded. This was one of the best movies I've seen in quite some time.

Sorta. That was the gist of it from a novel, but the novel isn't considered canon.

I'm reading the same stuff, from a magazine article and the movie's website, and even the Memory Alpha wiki is listing it as 757 meters. I don't see where they came up with that number... not only did the ship not look that big compared to the window on the bridge, but it didn't seem that big in the shipyard on Earth. Personally, I'm going to assume it's no larger than the Enterprise-A, until I hear differently from whoever's actually in charge of the franchise these days.

Memory Alpha took that number from the "Enterprise Tour" : http://www.experience-the-enterprise.com/ww/

"Class: Constitution class ship. Type: Heavy Cruiser. Registry: NCC-1701. Designer: W. Matt Jeffries [sic]. Construction Site: Starfleet Division, San Francisco Fleet Yards. Overall Mass: 495,000 metric tonnes. Length: 2500 feet. Saucer Diameter: 1100 feet. Ship Height: 625 feet"

The 3000 feet number comes from the CGI artists : "The overall length roughly agrees with the 3000 feet stated in the Post Magazine article 'Star Trek' Returns : http://www.postmagazine.com/ME2/dirmod.asp...2FB2117F7DD841F . We also learn during the tour that the bridge is located on A Deck and the sickbay on G Deck. The stated crew size is 1100."

Crew : 1100 !!! :blink: The Big E in the prime timeline had a crew complement of 430. The Big E is bigger than ever. But that does not make any sense at all given the size of windows and the bridge.

Edited by Macross007

Actually a bit more star wars than I realized at first...

trek basically just lost its version of Alderaan. Not quite the same, but close enough on the "peace loving hippie planet" scale to cause a facepalm or two when I realized it.

Except that in here

the planet destroyed had strong ties to the universe for older fans. Their destruction creates huge consequences for the entire series. In Star Wars, I thought they were just showcasing the Death Star's power with a similar scene.

All we knew about Alderaan is that the people there are supposedly peaceful and then BOOM. More reasons why we should care came around in the following years.

I was cruising around and went to walmart, I found an NCC-1701-A diecast figure from hotwheels, but the figure itself was mislabeled without the A, but clearly the refit version. Flipped over the box, the TV series is suppose to be the regular, and the refit is suppose to be the A.

It looked pretty cool! But 12 dollar was still a pass for me.

One thing I didn't catch when I saw the movie.

From my understanding, Nero emerged at an earlier time(the day Kirk was born), but Spock emerged 25 years later. How did Nero know when Spock would emerge from the black hole? Did he just sit there for 25 years waiting for him?

One thing I didn't catch when I saw the movie.

From my understanding, Nero emerged at an earlier time(the day Kirk was born), but Spock emerged 25 years later. How did Nero know when Spock would emerge from the black hole? Did he just sit there for 25 years waiting for him?

Yes

Yes

Yeah, but...

What if Spock had emerged way before him(let's say 100 years before Nero) and was already long dead and he destroyed his ship with red matter. What if Spock had gone way into the future rather than the past. Simply waiting for him was stupid. And, why wouldn't he have given up after 15 or 20 years? I think I missed something whereby he knew when he would emerge.

Oh please lol I started this thread like 3 years ago and I'm a casual Star Trek fan (TNG and DS9). Probably check this out during the week.

no ill will... just making fun of the fact that almost all MW movie thread starts off 3 or 4 years before as a bashfest.

But as a JJ Abrams fan... I stand by my code... WWJJD?

Yeah, but...

What if Spock had emerged way before him(let's say 100 years before Nero) and was already long dead and he destroyed his ship with red matter. What if Spock had gone way into the future rather than the past. Simply waiting for him was stupid. And, why wouldn't he have given up after 15 or 20 years? I think I missed something whereby he knew when he would emerge.

Nero asks the Captain of the Kelvin where Ambassador Spock was. Assuming Spock emerged 100 years before Nero, he would probably know historically how a half-Vulcan from 225 years in the future emerged in the past. But since the captain, didn't know anything about it, he quickly asks what year is it? And probably summed up the fact that Spock hadn't showed up yet. If he did, it would seem that Nero was insistent on waiting for him anyway, negligent of any facts.

After watching the movie last night I have to admit the movie turned out far more awesome that I thought it would be. Star trek was never a heavy action saga, star trek also wasn't that emotional when it came to the characters personal feeling toward their circumstances and each other...

This is a good change of pace from the original and I found the character reaction to be far more realistic than in the previous series.

I'd prefer if this new saga stayed a movie series rather than a live action TV show. That should keep things fresh and interesting, not to mention it was a good idea to change the main events of the original story to what it is now instead of a simple reboot. There is good potential for a rich new storyline for the saga the way it is now.

Memory Alpha took that number from the "Enterprise Tour" : http://www.experience-the-enterprise.com/ww/

Crew : 1100 !!! :blink: The Big E in the prime timeline had a crew complement of 430. The Big E is bigger than ever. But that does not make any sense at all given the size of windows and the bridge.

As Dax said in "Trials and Tribble-ations" They sure packed 'em in on these old ships.

Saw it on Saturday. Loved it the nods to the TOS and previous films were great. I think this trurned out to be the much needed injection of hope the whole francise needed. It had become so luke warm it was both predictable and average.

This wil bring in new fans and the old fans will on the whole be ok eventually. My other half is far from a SCi Fi nut/fan but she loved it.

Am I the only one who thought that Kirk's Motorbike was awesome, I would so love a bike that was like that, The motorcyle designers need to push the boat out a bit I think. All modern bikes look similar and are basically upgrades of what came before. The Nokia product placement was cool, How long till we get phones more like that ? 18 months maybe :)

The ship it felt more real insted of the Clinical cleannes of the TOS engine room we got pipes cramped conditions and dirt.

Big thumbs up we got space with no sound in it unlike Starwars etc. Roll on the next film.

A through G deck for bridge to engineering. 625 feet tall. Those are some really friggin TALL decks... (assuming the "belly of the ship" is like deck M or something) The Kelvin's interior was much better IMHO.

PS--apparently all the Hot Wheels are like that, it's not a variant/error. There is no "A" version out there, despite the packaging.

Yeah, but...

I would surmise that Nero's crew was able to calculate the ETA of spock from the singularity, taking into consideration the size of the ship, the angle from which it entered the singularity from the other side, and the size of the singularity's event horizon (mind you, i'm talking science fiction physics here. hehe). It would be stupid for Neros' ship to just wait beside the singularity for 25 years just waiting for someone that might never come, and leave yourself out in the open for any federation ship that might happen to pass by.

It's amazing that in about 1.5 centuries, technology evolved to the point where a mining/industrial ship easily pwnd a small fleet of starfleet ships <_< . Would have been slightly more interesting if Nero's ship was a Scimitar derivative or something.

Edited by Ghost Train

It's amazing that in about 1.5 centuries, technology evolved to the point where a mining/industrial ship easily pwnd a small fleet of starfleet ships <_< .

how is that amazing? You think a handfull of monitor class warships has a chance in hell against even a tugboat loaded with modern anti-ship to ship weapons and sensors?

The background to this is more completely explained in the comic, and I've heard there were several scenes left out about what happened to Nero during those 25 years.

Apparently, the ship was something he took from a secret Romulan research facility (think Romulan Maw Installation). After the planet blew, he captured the high council as they escaped in their private shuttles, and essentially declared himself to be in charge. He dragged all the secrets he could out of the council, before killing the ones who didn't agree with him.

Supposedly for part of that 25 year interim, Nero actually was captured by Klingons for some reason, and imprisoned on Rura Penthe. I'm not sure about this though. I've heard that there was actually a scene about this, but it was later cut for various reasons. It probably would have occurred during that flipping back and forth between childhoods for Kirk and Spock. Someone I watched the movie with also noticed that Nero later appeared to have a few scars that weren't in the earliest scenes, so a stay in a Klingon prison would fit as a source for them.

I like the in movie explanation better and honestly, if the viewer just thinks back to what tech was like 150 years ago, it's not hard to imagine that a modern utility craft retrofitted with weapons could devastate entire fleets in the past.

Just think, 150 years ago it was wood and wrought iron and steam power. An entire armada of ironclads would be sunk in minutes against any modern warship.

I like the in movie explanation better and honestly, if the viewer just thinks back to what tech was like 150 years ago, it's not hard to imagine that a modern utility craft retrofitted with weapons could devastate entire fleets in the past.

Just think, 150 years ago it was wood and wrought iron and steam power. An entire armada of ironclads would be sunk in minutes against any modern warship.

I don't think that is an adequate analogy to explain what is going on there. With the exception of the fact that they travel on water, a wood vessel and a modern ship are completely different vehicles, they have different means of propulsion, and different ways to hurt each other. An early steamship or ironed vessel I concede to be a slightly better comparison. In Trek, the main means by which ships blow each other up have essentially remained unchanged from the ToS era. The way in which ships travel and navigate has remained unchanged. They were fine tuned as the years went past, but by the time of the Dominion war, the main weapons of all starships were still basically phasers and torpedoes.

The yield of a torpedo has a maximum theoretical yield of 20ish isotons (don't remember exact number :p), which is governed more by the laws of physics governing the clash between matter/antimatter - than by technological advancement. The yield was that amount in ToS era and was still amount in TnG. Ships have only become more powerful in the century spread by just adding more guns and launchers.

Admittedly, defense could have improved with better shields, but there is no perfect defense, and it would be overrun by superior numbers eventually.

Furthermore, ship classes that existed in ToS era like the Miranda and Excelsior class are basically still in service nearly a century after their introduction, and saw action well into the DS9 era.

Because the mechanics of warfare have changed so little in between the two eras, there is no reason why starfleet couldn't zerg the Narada with enough ships to pop it. Of course, my initial assertion was just wrong as I was unfamiliar with the nature of the Narada, as pointed out by Chronocidal. On that note, I'm sort of interested now in reading that prequel comic.

The monitor was the first iron plated steam powered warship (along with the merrimack/virginia). Sure it didn't have missiles and what not, but even if we were to compare the monitor versus a WWI era battleship, there's just no contest. Technology improves in leaps and bounds. 150 years is a long time, even for ST technology.

Sure, 100 year old ships were still in service but after only after extensive retrofits. Even in TNG and Voyager we saw huge improvements in torpedo and phaser technology. It's perfectly inline with established Trek lore to say that an unmodified kirk era ship would be no match against a modern ship.

In the movie, it's established that the SF fleet that is dispatched to vulcan were expecting a natural disaster and not a romulan warship. Taking out unshielded ships as the emerge out of warp is going to be a lot easier than engaging an organized fleet. That Nero wanted to the codes too bypass the federation defense line shows that Nero was concerned with engaging in a protracted fight with the federation.

Nero also had 25 years to continually arm and train his crew.

Edited by eugimon

I don't think that is an adequate analogy to explain what is going on there. With the exception of the fact that they travel on water, a wood vessel and a modern ship areThe yield was that amount in ToS era and was still amount in TnG. Ships have only become more powerful in the century spread by just adding more guns and launchers.

Sure about that sir ? :huh:

OH MY GOD. I just finished watching. This is definitely the best Trek ever and just may be the best sci fi movie in some time.

As aside, Year One and Land of the Lost look like riots. Must see.

More Star Trek thoughts when I get home.

Vostok 7