Jump to content

Bandai 1/60 DX Chogokin Macross Plus YF-21


Recommended Posts

Fighter mode is looking a lot better!  I think we were seeing some small amount of spherical aberration on the first page photos making the rear end look even more inflated, though  it does seem to have rear boosters sir mix-a-lot would love.  Count me impressed that they were able to get that shape fighter simultaneously with the beefier battroid legs!  I'm still hoping that through some miracle of engineering they can somehow tuck everything in just a teensy-tiny amount more (really hoping its attributable to transformation error and/or prototyping tolerances, as mentioned before).

 

 

I'm looking forward to this- I'm hoping that this means Wright Immelman's VF-22 is also coming complete with Windmerean fat boy!

Edited by dur
Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, valhary said:

I dont know how official is........ but according to the master file like other macross valk can placed missiles on the wings

Yes, but those show the VF-22, which (I’m pretty sure) didn’t have the prototype’s MAW due to cost and complexity. 

Edited by Sildani
Link to post
Share on other sites

The individual elements of fighter mode look great, but somehow when they come together as a whole, something seem a bit off. The engine nacelles look too thick, the nose looks a bit too small and short or is the body just too long? I agree with what someone said earlier about how it reminds of Yamato 1/72 more than Yamato 1/60 on first impression.

But seeing this makes me appreciate even more how tough decisions have to be made to work around the anime magic, and a testament to Yamato having made the right design choices in prioritising fighter mode in their 1/60 (if you are a fighter mode kinda person) while keeping very decent battroid mode looks. 

Bandai’s battroid mode almost knocks it out of park so far, mostly by the chunkier legs alone.

So whereas Bandai’s YF-19 is almost close enough to Arcadia’s YF-19 in overall profile for all modes, that from a display perspective a person collecting will not lose out much in choosing one over the other, I feel no such inclination here. To me, it’s without doubt: must have both, keep Yamato’s 1/60 for fighter mode display, and get Bandai’s for battroid mode poses. What a time to be a fan! :D

On a side mode, I seem to notice a trend that Yamcadia valks somehow always have sexier noses compared to any of Bandai’s iteration. Just some very subtle curves that hits me off. If Bandai eventually does get to making a VF-11, I’m expecting Yamato’s will still look better on the front end. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m curious to see how Bandai designed the Gerwalk mode.  

From the battroid pics taken so far, it doesn’t look like they added any details for the ventral/VTOL exhaust vents that display most prominently in Gerwalk.

With a third of the bellyplates and the fighter side covers hanging off the backpack assembly, I’m just wondering where the heck they stow those (for lack of a better word) kibble parts during Gerwalk mode. :unknw:

Yet another reason why I don’t like the shortened bellyplate/hip guard design choice! :p;)

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

Next?

Dl_hOmpU0AQlNwe.jpg:large

 

Just now, jenius said:

Ooh embarrassing, you left a sex toy in that picture.

Maybe it was intended? :D

Seriuosly speaking here. Possibly a VF-22s NUNS version for DX lineup (eventhough its a 1/72 scaled model)? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

“Blame >EXO<“ for leaving a foldildo in Eugimon’s Omega Pants (TM)

. . . I wonder how many MW old-timers will remember those references! :lol:

Edited by Mog
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, jenius said:

Ooh embarrassing, you left a sex toy in that picture.

 

9 minutes ago, borgified said:

 

Maybe it was intended? :D

Seriuosly speaking here. Possibly a VF-22s NUNS version for DX lineup (eventhough its a 1/72 scaled model)? 

C'mon guys....by now you should know phallic symbols are like the fourth pillar of Macross! :drinks:

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mog said:

I’m curious to see how Bandai designed the Gerwalk mode.  

From the battroid pics taken so far, it doesn’t look like they added any details for the ventral/VTOL exhaust vents that display most prominently in Gerwalk.

With a third of the bellyplates and the fighter side covers hanging off the backpack assembly, I’m just wondering where the heck they stow those (for lack of a better word) kibble parts during Gerwalk mode. :unknw:

Yet another reason why I don’t like the shortened bellyplate/hip guard design choice! :p;)

I'm under the impression that the plates will just be hanging for gerwalk anyway, maybe the full set.  Even if they don't keep the lower third of the belly plates connected to the legs, I think they will still have to open to store the legs.

Also, speaking of the Omega PantsTM, I did notice one thing this transformation does that Yamato's didn't.  Looking closely at the transformation sketches, Yamato turned the feet the wrong way when they folded them up between the engines.  The art shows the toes pointing upwards, with the heels down, leaving nothing poking out under the center panel.  I don't know if Bandai did this exactly, but the longer back end looks like it could leave room for that.  I'm not sure what benefit it would have either way though.

Far as the beefy engines go, I do think they should be wider spaced, but there are some sketches that make them look that big.  I think I'm mostly not a fan of the .. I don't really know what to call it... "greeblification" maybe, of the upper engine surface?  I liked it when they were smooth, but Bandai for some reason decided to invent a bunch of little raised details to cover that area with.  Would rather they made the rear vents bigger, since those absolutely look way too thin.

I think I can adjust to the thicker engines really.  Would still like the tails mounted further to the rear, but that's not likely.  I'm actually surprised they squared off the tail tips so flat though, all of the art shows them clipped at an angle, and since they're absolutely not involved in any part of the transformation, I don't see why they can't be perfectly shaped.

Edited by Chronocidal
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

I'm under the impression that the plates will just be hanging for gerwalk anyway, maybe the full set.  Even if they don't keep the lower third of the belly plates connected to the legs, I think they will still have to open to store the legs.

Also, speaking of the Omega PantsTM, I did notice one thing this transformation does that Yamato's didn't.  Looking closely at the transformation sketches, Yamato turned the feet the wrong way when they folded them up between the engines.  The art shows the toes pointing outwards, with the heels toward the center, leaving nothing poking out under the center panel.  I don't know if Bandai did this exactly, but the longer back end looks like it probably leaves room for that.

A little confusing from your description... *EDIT* NVM... @Chronocidal you cleared up the confusion and I did a whole MSpaint thing too. XD

 

Spoiler

Yamato actually had them oriented the correct way with the toes inwards heels outwards, but the original artwork showed the toes pointed/angled foward towards the fuselage and the heels pointing towards the rear (thrusters). Whereas yamato had the toes pointing towards the back and heels forward. 

248309575_21BayLineart.jpg.a074da9f2a78792363d1dbdcaa02bd50.jpg

1165233060_21BayYamato.jpg.b3030b6ad411d135f17b02bb36f74726.jpg

724455342_21BayChrono.jpg.ad86d3cbb704a40d6d15234887b451f2.jpg

 

 

Edited by PsYcHoDyNaMiX
Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

I'm under the impression that the plates will just be hanging for gerwalk anyway, maybe the full set.  Even if they don't keep the lower third of the belly plates connected to the legs, I think they will still have to open to store the legs.

That’s kinda my whole point:  where the hell will that bottom/back third of the bellyplates go in Gerwalk mode?

From the battroid pics, we can sorta see that they fold into the backpack assembly and not become part of the hip guards.

But for Gerwalk mode, this back third of the bellyplate will either:

a) Hang off the back end as useless kibble; 

b) Fold up into the backpack, but block where the ventral/VTOL vents should be revealed.

If you look at underside pics of the Yamato 21, you’ll see what I mean about those ventral vents.

Just seems that Bandai went with an inelegant design choice to go with shorter bellyplates, and that choice could compromise the Gerwalk’s look.

It’d make better sense to lengthen the part of the bellyplates that become the hip guards, and have the remaining smaller portion of the bellyplates get flipped around to reveal ventral vents (and get folded into the backpack assembly).

Edited by Mog
Because I think I figured out how the fighter side covers near the tailfins work for all three modes.
Link to post
Share on other sites

It may not match the aesthetic, or the Yamato, but I'm honestly happy to have the shorter hip armor.

That's one area on the Yamato that got in the way a lot when posing. Honestly they were a bit overly long as well, shouldn't be hitting the ground with a straight leg.

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, PsYcHoDyNaMiX said:

A little confusing from your description... *EDIT* NVM... @Chronocidal you cleared up the confusion and I did a whole MSpaint thing too. XD

Yeah, sorry about that, I didn't have the image loaded to check, and got the orientation backwards.  I think in all cases though, the knees are pointing inwards.

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

It may not match the aesthetic, or the Yamato, but I'm honestly happy to have the shorter hip armor.

That's one area on the Yamato that got in the way a lot when posing. Honestly they were a bit overly long as well, shouldn't be hitting the ground with a straight leg.

But Bandai wound up lopping off too much.

I don’t mind hip guards shorter than the Yamato version.  But it’s just too much here.  Adding just a bit more (so 3/4 of the bellyplate becomes hip guards and 1/4 of the bellyplate flips and folds into the backpack) would go a long way to improve the battroid look and posing options.

And then what’s gonna happen when they add the Fast Packs?  Fighter mode would look hella weird if it’s just covering the hip guard portion of the bellyplates.

Edited by Mog
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Mog said:

And then what’s gonna happen when they add the Fast Packs?  Fighter mode would look hella weird if it’s just covering the hip guard portion of the bellyplates.

My guess would be that the FAST packs can transform themselves with a sliding/telescoping piece that extends or collapses. Still, I'm surprised that the extra panel goes into the backpack as opposed to folding in on itself into the hip guards.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Man, those thrusters are a wee bit chunky, feel like they could do with a 10-15% shrink and being spaced a tiny bit wider.

Exactly what I was thinking. It would balance out much better if the engine Nacelles were just a little bit smaller.

Chris

Edited by Dobber
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, jvmacross said:

 

C'mon guys....by now you should know phallic symbols are like the fourth pillar of Macross! :drinks:

So out of morbid curiosity, what are the first three Pillars of Macross?

1).  Transforming mechs above all else?

2).  Singing defeats conflicts?

3).  Someone’s gotta die?

I always thought Pillar No. 4 would be “Respect the Hory Froating Head” or “Yoshinol or Beer Missiles makes everything better.”

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, all this talk about the DX 21's shortcomings has talked me out of getting one.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Just kidding! I'm so getting a few of these!:p

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Mog said:

So out of morbid curiosity, what are the first three Pillars of Macross?

1).  Transforming mechs above all else?

2).  Singing defeats conflicts?

3).  Someone’s gotta die?

I always thought Pillar No. 4 would be “Respect the Hory Froating Head” or “Yoshinol or Beer Missiles makes everything better.”

Love triangle, song, valkyries

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mog said:

So out of morbid curiosity, what are the first three Pillars of Macross?

1).  Transforming mechs above all else?

2).  Singing defeats conflicts?

3).  Someone’s gotta die?

I always thought Pillar No. 4 would be “Respect the Hory Froating Head” or “Yoshinol or Beer Missiles makes everything better.”

 

1 hour ago, jenius said:

Love triangle, song, valkyries

 

51 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

3.5: enough missiles to blot out the stars.

Toss in another one: Someone usually always get the gal of their dreams. ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Knight26 said:

I'd like to see the back of the battroid, maybe see why they moved the engines so close together in fighter mode, maybe it makes more sense in battroid.

Well the line art did show the engines are closer. The yamato one was spaced out more. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Knight26 said:

I'd like to see the back of the battroid, maybe see why they moved the engines so close together in fighter mode, maybe it makes more sense in battroid.

I suspect they’re so close together, in order for the legs to fit correctly in fighter mode.

I’m guessing the nacelles/back boosters are a little hollowed out too, so the legs can slip in there.

Edited by Mog
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Berkut said:

Well the line art did show the engines are closer. The yamato one was spaced out more. 

Yes, but not that close.  While the Yamato version was too widely spaced, these are too close.  Something between the two would be "just right."

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, borgified said:

Isn't our feline friend @Shizuka the Cat getting a copy if and when the pre-orders are going to be posted or are you going to sit out on this one? :pardon: 

So.... I am in a bit of a pickle.

I found myself liking the Arcadia YF-19 more than the DX Chogokin version, due to the latter's small back heels and large "N.E.T.F.C." text written on the wing. So, I was kind of pondering selling off my DX Chogokin YF-19.

Though, if I do go for the DX Chogokin YF-21, then the obsessive-compulsive completionist in me will feel obligated to keep the DX Chogokin YF-19.  

This would make you think I should just sell the DX Chogokin YF-19 and skip the DX Chogokin YF-21. Simple as that.

BUT...

If it happens to be the case that the DX Chogokin YF-21 is a better-made toy than the Yamato YF-21, well.... then I probably would want to pre-order the DX Chogokin YF-21.... which also leaves me kind of stuck with the aforementioned DX Chogokin YF-19 that I am not completely satisfied with.  *sigh*

Yes, I know... I am pathetic on this regard.

ARGH!!!!!   What do I do?!?!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...