Good old Blacktron...classic. :wub:

I bought the LEGO version of the FA X-Wing; aside from the rear engine attachment, the wing structures are pretty solid, including the splitting mechanism. As for the X-Wing's hypothetical real world structure and aerodynamics, the thing that sticks in my mind is that it has VTOL capability without any obvious means of achieving it...after that, it's all sci-fi materials and physics to me. Anything's possible on film; I accept it, I enjoy it, and I hope it inspires some really smart people to turn it into scientific reality (hopefully within my lifetime).

I've always just assumed that you could shape shields in whatever shape you needed, so the surface the air interacts with would just be a big smooth aerodynamic bubble. :lol:

And as far as design lineage goes, they did show a bit of that in the later designs from the prequels, especially where the shuttles are concerned. Get into the Clone Wars, and you've got the "original" Y-Wing, which I thought was a fun take on why the ones in ANH looked so bare.

For VTOL functions though... all Star Wars tech just runs on upsidaisium. All ships are actually just lighter than air, and carry around ballast tanks that they fill with heavily compressed atmosphere to become heavy. Pay no attention to Luke's ship sinking, he forgot to blow his ballast so the ship would float. :p

Edited by Chronocidal

Good old Blacktron...classic. :wub:

I bought the LEGO version of the FA X-Wing; aside from the rear engine attachment, the wing structures are pretty solid, including the splitting mechanism. As for the X-Wing's hypothetical real world structure and aerodynamics, the thing that sticks in my mind is that it has VTOL capability without any obvious means of achieving it...after that, it's all sci-fi materials and physics to me. Anything's possible on film; I accept it, I enjoy it, and I hope it inspires some really smart people to turn it into scientific reality (hopefully within my lifetime).

Repulserlifts (SW Anti gravity).

Edited by miles316

I always imagined Star Wars vehicles as space vehicles. Sure, they might be able to move around in atmosphere, but for the most part they're natural environment, and full maneuvering capabilities are in space...

Some TIE fighters did get shields, according to stuff that is currently being swept away into a broom cupboard somewhere, but I think the real answer is "not well". I vaguely recall it being mentioned here and there that TIE fighters are a bit twitchy in atmosphere (and at least one book mentions - pre-"Phantom Menace" - that shields don't work well in atmospheres, either, so maybe everything is twitchy in an atmosphere. Possibly also explains why the vaguely aerodynamic snowspeeders have what appear to be flaps or airbrakes at any rate... :) ).

Edited by F-ZeroOne

How many times have they reused the name Star Killer? They reuse everything from the past.

If a design is good why change it? Plenty of car companies release the same model car year after year. They used new designs in the prequels and most of them sucked. 30 years of star wars or a Star Cold Wars of possibly disorganized planets may brought slow changes.

I never understood the changes between the Clone Wars stuff and the Rebellion era, The Alliance's gear was dirty, battered and old looking. In should have what they were using in the Clone War just new looking during it.

That is always what i thought. I thought the alliance stuff was all old stuff from the clone wars while the empire used newer built equipment. I was surprised when the prequels had tons of new stuff that was way more advanced.

That is always what i thought. I thought the alliance stuff was all old stuff from the clone wars while the empire used newer built equipment. I was surprised when the prequels had tons of new stuff that was way more advanced.

The continuity issues of the prequels hit all facets of production.

"I always imagined Star Wars vehicles as space vehicles. Sure, they might be able to move around in atmosphere, but for the most part they're natural environment, and full maneuvering capabilities are in space..." -Myk

Still, space vehicles are basically existing in a suspension, requiring a method of achieving thrust in all directions around the craft in order to maneuver, start, and stop. Most SW vehicles have apparent thrust mechanisms for forward thrust, but that's about all. The Millennium Falcon demonstrates landing vectoring jets when touching down on Bespin, but real world examples such as that are few and far between in SW. Much of SW is easy to swallow if you concede that they have mastered various ways of controlling, manipulating, and nullifying gravity by virtue of tech we have yet to discover and develop.

If a certain Ben Rich quote is true, the knowledge and tech already exists.

Edited by M'Kyuun

Certain point of view I suppose.

For starters, the Delta-7 and the ETA-2 (Jedi starfighters)looked more advanced. They're still a decade+ older than the X-Wing. There were also no expenses spared for Jedi/Republic tech because at that time they had the resources of what would become the Empire. Take away all the shades of red on ships, add some more shades of grey and it's still the same shipyards, designers and banks funding the Empire that were funding the Republic.

The Alliance was being funded and supported by a select few companies (Incom, who built the X-Wing) and people (the Organas before they got deaded) and they didn't have the money to keep everything looking all pristine and shiny, let alone build them in the numbers the Empire had. It was a near 2 decade long guerilla war before the first Death Star was destroyed. There was also a lot of EU background stuff on the origin of the X-Wing, B-Wing, A-Wings and where they came from which made sense with how they were built and funded. A newer version of the X-Wing was still the primary fighter in the EU 30 years after A New Hope.

On the other hand, Lucas didn't have the hind/foresight/care to realize what the prequels were going to look like next to 20+ year old movies.

Also, like M'Kyuun points out: in the Star Wars universe gravity is easily overcome with some sort of tech.

Was at a family gathering at the in-laws yesterday. My twelve year old nephew isn't interested in the new movie or Star Wars at all :unsure:

Well, make sure he knows he can be anything he wants. =P

Did the ETA-2 evolve into the tie fighter or something? There seem to be a few similarities. The Republic evolved into the empire, so I figure assets, even Jedi-used ones got folded into the galactic military?

Did the ETA-2 evolve into the tie fighter or something? There seem to be a few similarities. The Republic evolved into the empire, so I figure assets, even Jedi-used ones got folded into the galactic military?

Hard to say. From a film/design standpoint, I'd absolutely say yes. They even sounded like TIEs in Ep. 3.

However, it's hard to pinpoint the canon of it because the ETA and V-Wings were Kaut while the TIE was Sienar and TIEs are supposedly decendants(post prequels) of the V-Wing and who knows what actually remains for their made up manufacturers.

The prequels really are just a mess.

Edited by Chewie

attachicon.gifold.gif Young'uns these days...

im not a big fan of Star Wars either but I enjoyed all the movies for what they are and I am looking forward to the new movie but I haven't been able to get my son to watch any of them! He's just not interested in the slightest! But on the flip side, I love Star Trek and again he was never interested but I did get him to watch latest movie and he sat through most of Wrath of Khan and didn't mind it at all.

Hard to say. From a film/design standpoint, I'd absolutely say yes. They even sounded like TIEs in Ep. 3.

However, it's hard to pinpoint the canon of it because the ETA and V-Wings were Kaut while the TIE was Sienar and TIEs are supposedly decendants(post prequels) of the V-Wing and who knows what actually remains for their made up manufacturers.

The prequels really are just a mess.

The design influences were intentional to lead into the OT. This was mentioned in the Making-of vids (the only great part of the prequels).

Certain point of view I suppose.

For starters, the Delta-7 and the ETA-2 (Jedi starfighters)looked more advanced. They're still a decade+ older than the X-Wing. There were also no expenses spared for Jedi/Republic tech because at that time they had the resources of what would become the Empire. Take away all the shades of red on ships, add some more shades of grey and it's still the same shipyards, designers and banks funding the Empire that were funding the Republic.

The Alliance was being funded and supported by a select few companies (Incom, who built the X-Wing) and people (the Organas before they got deaded) and they didn't have the money to keep everything looking all pristine and shiny, let alone build them in the numbers the Empire had. It was a near 2 decade long guerilla war before the first Death Star was destroyed. There was also a lot of EU background stuff on the origin of the X-Wing, B-Wing, A-Wings and where they came from which made sense with how they were built and funded. A newer version of the X-Wing was still the primary fighter in the EU 30 years after A New Hope.

I didn't even know what ships you were talking about. I had to google them. The delta-7 is one prequel ship that i can see being older than the rebel ships sue to the hyperspace drive not being integrated like they are on the x-wing. I didn't know the astromech droid was integrated with the ship...that kind of sucks for the droid.

The thing is the prequel ships are not memorable to me at all. The original trilogy had suck great designs that were iconic and very memorable. Not so with the prequel trilogy. I think only the Naboo Starfighter kinda stands out even with it's mediocre design.

The idea of companies like incom supplying the rebels with new designs seems strange to me. Wouldn't the Empire shut them down or worse bobby trap the fighters as they were rolled out of the production line?

The thing is the prequel ships are not memorable to me at all. The original trilogy had suck great designs that were iconic and very memorable. Not so with the prequel trilogy. I think only the Naboo Starfighter kinda stands out even with it's mediocre design.

The gunships from clone wars was pretty cool. it's one of the few designs I actually like anyways.

I liked the clone weaponry and the fact it appeared to be early Empire designs. The Naboo spacefighter was fine too. Now that I think about it, I really didn't have too much of a problem with the spacecraft designs... I think I was too hung up on everything else that was going wrong.

Was at a family gathering at the in-laws yesterday. My twelve year old nephew isn't interested in the new movie or Star Wars at all :unsure:

A lot of my Year 7 students around the same age are like that as well...

Neither my son, 12, nor my daughter, 7, like Star Wars. I keep trying but they aren't interested. My son is Autistic though sooo.

It really, actually does hurt a little, when watching the reaction video's with fathers watching the trailers with their kids and everyone being excited, or the commercials with each generation being excited for the toys ect. I really wanted that. :(

Oh well, love them anyway :p

Chris

The idea of companies like incom supplying the rebels with new designs seems strange to me. Wouldn't the Empire shut them down or worse bobby trap the fighters as they were rolled out of the production line?

Incom, or presumably the guys there that designed and built things, defected to the Rebel Alliance and brought with them the plans for the X-wing....or something like that...

Neither my son, 12, nor my daughter, 7, like Star Wars. I keep trying but they aren't interested. My son is Autistic though sooo.

It really, actually does hurt a little, when watching the reaction video's with fathers watching the trailers with their kids and everyone being excited, or the commercials with each generation being excited for the toys ect. I really wanted that. :(

Chris

Autism is no excuse, my autistic cousin won't stop sending me pictures of all the Star Wars Lego things he builds. Granted, he is in his mid-twenties.

My daughter loves the idea of Star Wars. She loves her toys & my old ones. She's crazy about the Lego Star Wars shows.

But she's not really into the actual movies. She liked them the first time, but lately they're too violent for her taste. I was really looking forward to taking her to TFA, but I'm starting to think that's not going to happen.

I didn't even know what ships you were talking about. I had to google them. The delta-7 is one prequel ship that i can see being older than the rebel ships sue to the hyperspace drive not being integrated like they are on the x-wing. I didn't know the astromech droid was integrated with the ship...that kind of sucks for the droid.

Sorry, I didn't link them until the later post.

My boy’s only 10 months old but I hope he’ll like Star Wars one day. He better, his name is Luke, I $hit you not, lol!

My wife’s Japanese and she picked Luke (and Yamato for his middle name - no relation to Uchu Senkan Yamato, though I sing it to him all the time, lol!). Apparently, Luke was on the popular names list in Japan a few years ago believe it or not, and the wife never watched Star Wars at the time.

Anyway, she wanted to name him Luke, so I made her watch all 6 films (yes, even the prequels) just to make sure she knew what she was getting him into.

DSC_0129.JPG

When he was about 4 months old

Edited by peter

Chris

I feel your pain. My daughter is 9 now, but I started her when she was 4, I always thought she liked it, but when she turned 7, she sat me down and said; "Daddy, I don't really like Star Wars you know... I only watch it for YOU, you seem to like it so much!" She's like Star Wars Rebels ok, but she'll watch it with me if I plead with her now. The things she does for her daddy :p

I'm lucky my son likes it. He turned 7 in June. He's been into Lego for awhile and loved the Star Wars Lego he got more than a year ago. And then it was rebels, and at some point we watched the original trilogy and he enjoyed it. We'll see TFA on my Birthday, the 19th. In 3d, no less. Looking forward to it.

I'm a fan, definitely. But one of my best friends, who lives in Florida, he's something else entirely. Named his firstborn Jedi. No kidding.