New Star Trek Movie In 2009..

bandit29

This movie was pure awesome. Great cast, good story, fantastic performances, lots of action, humor without it being Transformers-like-face-to-palm humor. Loved the music.

Of course I love it more than I normally would have because I worked on it and wound up seeing myself on screen. :D

I wondered if anyone else here worked on it, because I saw a truck parked at the open casting call, which had a UN SPACY sticker on it.

Gonna go watch it again, this time on Imax, this weekend.

It was ok, but not great.

The design work was a bit weird. The bridge designs were nice, the whole i-bridge concept didn't bother me at all :p . But other designs were just plain strange - the Narada looked like a flying junkyard, though I know it was supposed to be an industrial ship, it has like no shape at all <_< . Also, engineering on the Enterprise looked like a McD playground. I'm sort of torn on the new Enterprise, I like the refit-constitution better still.

As for characters, I think the whole setting up Kirk to be a hero thing was a bit too trite and expected. I mean in the script, Pike tells him to "enlist," but somehow he ends up in the academy.... and by the end of the film he jumps from Ensign to Captain <_< . It would have been better (since this is a reboot and all) to have had him start off as an enlisted "spaceman" and be given his commission to ensign at the end, or something to that effect.

But Simon Pegg was awesome! ... Orion girl at the academy was also awesome :wub:

... and funny story, I had to sit next a hardcore trekkie family (a gang of 10+), laughed at every stupid thing on screen. My gf predicted this, and made me sit next to them essentially as a buffer, she is smart.

Edited by Ghost Train

I agree. The Galaxy Class has always been an ugly duckling IMO. The bulbous saucer, the fish mouth deflector, the completely undersized warp nacelles... No thanks.

I don't want to turn this into a nerdy ship debate, but the Consitution to me always looked like a bunch of tacked on parts that was drawn up by some bored 5th grader in history class. The Galaxy class on the other hand conveys immense size and power while still appearing sleek, modern and graceful. The nacelles are just the right size if you try and understand the intention of the design.

Also, I don't like the Soverign class either, considering that they were trying to return to the look of the Constellation . Meh, to each their own. None of these designs make any sense scientifically anyway...

I don't want to turn this into a nerdy ship debate, but the Consitution to me always looked like a bunch of tacked on parts that was drawn up by some bored 5th grader in history class. The Galaxy class on the other hand conveys immense size and power while still appearing sleek, modern and graceful. The nacelles are just the right size if you try and understand the intention of the design.

Also, I don't like the Soverign class either, considering that they were trying to return to the look of the Constellation . Meh, to each their own. None of these designs make any sense scientifically anyway...

Never thought the Sovereign class looked much like the Constitutions, but I still love its lines.

Also, very Star Wars. VERY Star Wars.

Heh, the first thing I said to my wife while the end credits started to roll was, "Wow, that was more Star Wars than the Star Wars prequels were!"

Absolutely loved this film. TOS is my favorite era of Trek (and to be honest the only one I really like) and this movie really did the characters justice. Easily and by far my favorite Trek movie of them all...which isn't saying much since I hated all but the first three. Anyway, I hope the get a few good movies out of this cast.

Now we just need Hot Toys or some other good toy company to make some killer figures. Those Playmates things are just awful.

The story did certainly take a back seat. The ending was of course convenient and totally didn't matter what they did... it was like "Hey guys I'm pretty sure we can mumbo jumbo techno lingo our way out of this" "Dammit I bet you're right, let's wait til the last second for dramatic effect!"

But I was so sold. The crowd where I went was going insane... There were a couple of trekkies in front of me and I thought they were going to be annoying but they were into it too. Each character got their moment and the action pieces were well done. I could input my small complaints but I'll be nitpicking. Alright well Eric Bana sucks... that's one. But overall it was a good film. It's not a brainless piece of summer garbage even though the main storyline was just a showcase for the characters.

Maybe the next one will be even better now that the players know the field. Yes, it does out prequeled the "Prequels."

Maybe it's because I grew up with it, but the orginal TOS Constitution class is still my favorite. I was never big on the Enterprise/Constitution II class. It's not that bad looking, but it's not my favorite. I'm not a fan ofthe Galaxy class. Never thought they were good looking ships. Anything looks better than an Excelsior, though. Hate the way those things look. I love the Ambassodor class. Enterprise C had just enough of that old school look to endear itself to me. I also really like the aggresive lines of the Soveriegn class. Enterprise E has got to be one of the best looking 'Prises.

I'm still not too sure about this new old Enterprise. It looks like they slapped the refit's saucer on an otherwise organic ship. Everything but the saucer looks like it was built by the Minbari. And, I hate that bridge design. Looks like an iPod threw up. The 60s called, they want their stark white sets back. I miss the utilitarian grays of the orginal series.

See, this is why I say it's all about your feelings over the various shows. I grew up with the movies, so I prefer the movie designs. You grew up with TOS, so you prefer those designs. Etc. etc. Someone who grew up with Voyager and DS9 are going to prefer those. And so on and so on.

I also agree on the Ambassador Class. I wish we had see more of it and it's generation.

@myk: To be fair to the Constitution, the original Enterprise was intended to look like NASA rockets with a flying saucer. From what I understand, that was Roddenberry's intention. Besides, of course the Constitution and Refit Constitution are going to look like "a bunch of tacked on parts" considering they were kitbash models :lol:

In the long run, I actually prefer most of the "non-Hero" ships, especially designs like the Miranda Class and Nebula Class, for instance.

Vostok 7

Another thing... the aliens didn't bother me at all... they weren't your typical forehead aliens aside from the already established romulans and vulcans. Which is good because now I can face one person I know that worked on them. I think he's going to see it in IMAX to check out how it holds up ten stories high.

Just saw the film. The best way I could describe the film succinctly would be to call it wonderfully absurd.

The plot integrity is tenuous at best and the science is ludicrous, but you rarely give a crap because all the other cylinders in this engine are firing on full. The casting is near perfect, the characterizations are spot on, the acting is up to the challenge, the humor offers real laughs, the special effects are exciting and there is rarely a moment when you're not entertained. Intelligent movie making this is not, but Star Trek works as pure fluff entertainment; more Iron Man than The Dark Knight.

I will say that what the movie lacks in brains it makes up for with guts. The writers drag the characters through hell and don't let up. While the finale is satisfying, this is one Star Trek story that irrevocably shakes the foundation of it's own fictional universe. Same old Trek but new rules.

I'd give it a 4 out of 5. I know it's become cliche to compare every blockbuster to The Dark Knight, but the fact is Trek will be measured against that modern benchmark. It cannot take the crown, but Star Trek delivers as promised the best it can.

I really enjoyed it as well. I liked how they were able to press reset on the franchise and give us the potential for decent Trek for a good deal longer if they wanted.

I also loved all the little nods to the past series or movies without being too over the top. It was great fun and hopefully successful enough to breathe some life into the franchise.

just returned from seeing it, I must say, as a person that doesnt really follow 'trek ,ive only seen a few of the movies and the odd episode of DS9, I really enjoyed it,Excellent film! the effects where amazing,Very good sense of scale in the ship sizes in space,acting was great. Overall well worth the watch,i would watch it again gladly. 4/5.

love the warp sound in theater surround.

Maybe it was a bias brought on by not being a Next Gen fan growing up, but I'll trow my lot in with those that hated the Galaxy class. Something about it's curves never appealed to me, nor did the lowered nacelles. I was overjoyed when they destroyed her. .I even ran out and bought the toy (though I own a non-damaged one too). I remember as a kid hating the design enough that I never referred to it as the Enterprise. I have a drawing I did at one time labelled "Picard's ship" Though I've come to appreciate it lately, as I grew to like TNG. It's still my least favorite Enterprise.

Needless to say, I love the Sovereign precisely for the reason you hated it. It was more in line with the Constitution (the Constellation is something else entirely)It peeved me quite a bit that Playmates never got the pylons right on their toys. The refit Constitution/Enterprise class is still my all time favorite. I feel the higher nacelles convey a more balanced, powerful design. I used to draw it all the time. I'm sure growing up with the original crew had a lot to do with it as well, though I've never liked the TV design as much as the movie one. I just love the classic movie aesthetics. That includes the Miranda and Excelsior classes.

The new Enterprise is growing on me. It really looks like they tried to combine the best of both Constitution designs. I just wish her profile wasn't so scrunched up. It makes her look top heavy. Though so looks great at the angles where this isn't as obvious. At least she's not all TNG/Enterprise influenced. I'm a bit amazed at how well ILM pulled off the effects with just CG, and that's a huge compliment from me. The last time it was attempted (Insurrection) everything looked downright cartoonish. Anyone know a good price for her toy?

Voyage is of the Intrepid class for those that were wondering.

Having seen the film, I liked it better than i thought I would. The alternate reality helps a lot. I'm still not too wild about Pine's Kirk though. Particularly early in the film (the bar scene was awful). It felt a tad rushed at times. His decision to heed Pike seems to get all of a few shots of him staring to serve as him accepting the offer. Though the worst was

the Uhura/Spock relationship. It goes from a rather typical teacher/student bit in the shuttle scene to her hugging and kissing him after Vulcan and them making out of the transporter pad. I have nothing against the concept, but it was completely out of left field and should have been established better outside of a tryst of him accepting her "I should be on the Enterprise" bit.

Nimoy really made the film though. I also thought Engineering was a touch too industrial, though more in the "it doesn't look like they're even aboard ship" rather than an offence to the concept. Didn't need the Enterprise reference either, but that's just nitpicking. ^_^

I did like how each character played their part. Urban was also excellent as Bones, which was not the vibe I got in the clips I saw. Spock is a bit iffy on me, though that's probably because of the thing i mentioned earlier, and he did seem like a bit of a prick at times.

I saw it was the most quiet crowd since Insurrection (which was a press screening I'd won tickets to). I felt like I'd had a private screening. I blame missing the 7pm showing (which was fairly packed when I snuck in while waiting) for the 8pm show to accommodate a friend, and the plain lack of midnight showing as it. I WAS the vocal member that cheered Nimoy and such. It was odd living that again. As much as I love private screening, I expect audience reaction, and was disappointed that i didn't really get it. Still, it was worth it for seeing it with a friend (who was much less thrilled then I)

All in all, it was a good movie, though I'll never rank it above the original 6 (though maybe 5 since Paramount really did ruin it going by Shatner's memoirs). I sort of approached it as standalone along with being a Trek film. Though I loved the last Trek movie too, so maybe I'm just not meant to hate anything with Star Trek in the tile (hence my dislike for Enterprise). I do disagree that they nailed the characters though. They're not too far off thankfully. Once they get the characters back in order, maybe things will improve.

Now that you mention it Redwolf, it does have a lot of socking similarities with the Tim Russ project. I still need to watch the third part of that.

Edited by Mercurial Morpheus

Maybe it was a bias brought on by not being a Next Gen fan growing up, but I'll trow my lot in with those that hated the Galaxy class. Something about it's curves never appealed to me, nor did the lowered nacelles. I was overjoyed when they destroyed her.

You know, I never hated the Galaxy class. But I think you hit on just what bugs me about the design: The short nacelles that are too far below the "water line" of the Primary hull.

So I cooked up this "Refit" this morning. I raised the nacelles and lengthened the pylons, and swept them rearward to give more similarity to the other Enterprise designs.

I like it! :lol:

3515233253_c256ca8e4b_o.jpg

Edit: Gave the Ambassador class a refit too. ;)

Edited by Grand Admiral

and the science is ludicrous

But then, isn't it also apply to the whole Star Trek franchise? :p

Maybe is ludicrous, but I think is the only csi-fi saga that really inspired real inventions

Sorry Grand Admiral, but your mod is horrible. The Galaxy-Class is just fine the way it is.

It's funny you complain about the short nacelles, because one of Andy Probert's earlier designs

of the ship had nacelles even shorter. They basically didn't extend past the end of the ship.

Myk seems to be on the same wave length with me when it comes to ship designs.

The Sovereign-Class is abit iffy for me. on the one hand I actually admire it for its streamlined approach,

on the other hand I don't like the fact that its missing a neck, no saucer separation, very lengthy nacelles and its placing above the saucer.

John Eaves once said in an interview that he took the best elements out of the previous ships that carried the name Enterprise for his Sovereing-Class.

But quite frankly it just looks like an Excelsior MK. II with a touch of Refit-Connie.

Edited by lechuck

Since word of this movie came out, I really, really wanted to hate it. Instead, I was amazed at how it all came together. It blows away all of the Picard-era movies (except First Contact), along with I and III (never mind V, as it's already a given that it's worse than an average episode of Enterprise).

But there's one thing that disappointed me a little:

When Nero inserted the mind-controlling insect in Pike's mouth, Pike revealed the location of Earth. Since this is a reference to the worms used in

Star Trek II, I was expecting Pike to be mind-controlled to attack Kirk and Spock, and then eventually set his Phaser to kill himself.

But then again, that would've been too predictable.

Just got back from the movie. As a person who knows very little bout star trek, i'd say this movie was very entertaining, and even more so than Transformers which i hated. And women wearing short skirts for star fleet uniforms? I love this version of star fleet already! :3

I'm not sure what the Trekkies will think about their beloved series being resetted and butchered by the timetravel plot device....but if anything can revive the Star Trek franchise, it would have to be this movie. 4.5 stars from me.

I caught it yesterday. I haven't been following any spoilers, so was very surprised when

Vulcan became a black hole!

I enjoyed it a lot. I consider myself a casual Trek fan, having watched some of TNG, most of DS9, some of Voyager, and all the movies, but never did bother with all the technobabble. The movies was a great ride, it's got that energy which the star trek movies have tended to lack. Sulu's retractable blade was too cool for words. I loved that scene where the crew was explaining how their

destinies had been changed and they were now in an alternate timeline

. That scene seemed to be written just for the hardcore fans, kinda like it was telling them things are going to be different from what you know. :p Chekov did seem to be over-doing the accent thingy though.

And yes, Nimoy's inclusion in the show was a great choice!

Saw the film last night. Went in with no expectations and you know what I was entertained. The franchise sorely needed a reboot since the TNG movies and IMO this one worked. You can't do that with the original cast, half of them are dead and the other half....well they won't appeal to the young'uns. The new cast came oh so close to matching the look, mult-ethnic feel of the original....except for Chekov. He felt off to me. The rest of the actors weren't exactly Shatner, Nimoy, Kelley(sp?) etc of the original cast but they came close and added their own interpretations and it worked. Kirk needed to stall his words abit more though. He talked too fast.

A few negatives were that the edits seemed pretty rough in some places.

ie New Spock is still talking but they're already showing Kirk on the ice planet.

and at the end the music seemed out of place.

Original music throughout the movie but then the classic Star Trek w/Nimoy narrative over it seemed forced.

This will be a fun movie to have on Bluray. B))

All in all, it was a good movie, though I'll never rank it above the original 6

I admit, Khan has a certain charm to it, and 4 always has amused me, but you have got to be kidding me. The first film is not good (though not horrible), but 3, 5, and 6 are flat out bad. I wouldn't admit to most people that I had actually seen them (though, I am not a trekkie). Granted, the story is almost an afterthought, but this is the most alive any of these characters have ever been.

Sorry Grand Admiral, but your mod is horrible. The Galaxy-Class is just fine the way it is.

I wasn't holding my breath that you and Myk would like it. ;)

But maybe some of the other guys who think the Galaxy class looks awkward might find it interesting.

Edit: Gave the Ambassador class a refit as well. :lol:

Edited by Grand Admiral

Haven't seen the movie yet but I'm a huge Trek fan, I actually think that the later seasons of DS9 were some of the best Trek stuff ever. As for the movies well of course 4 is the high water mark but I did love 6 and First Contact was the best of the New Gen stuff.

As for this new movie, well I know how Abrams is getting by the whole prequel continuity thing and for me that's my biggest beef. I'm a continuity buff and I just don't want the last 40 some years of Trek stuff to be thrown out because of this "new" Star Trek. Personally I think that the Next Gen crew could still make movies if they would just stop forcing the "family dynamic" that the original had and focus more on a universal threat, the original was a better "family" but the Next Gen were a better crew and should focus on that.

But I'm sure I'll love this movie anyways since it seems to be the best Star Trek movie in over a decade.

It's not forced, Nimoy just sounds old. Feels like hearing an old friend become... old. I feel kind of sad hearing his voice. I hope he's been keeping well. ^_^

That sequence is forced. The music goes from the new score directly into the old music w/Nimoy. There is no transition and was jarring. There are rough editing patches in the movie that need to be fixed.

He grew up without his father, this is a different James T Kirk.

That sentence if read by Shatner.

"He. Grew up. Without. His Father. This is a. Different. James T. Kirk."

^_^

And women wearing short skirts for star fleet uniforms? I love this version of star fleet already! :3

That's how the original series always was. :) (though IMHO, the boots in the original series were better)

I saw the movie last nite and it was awesome. Easily one of the best Trek Films to date. The casting choices were good, special effects good, and we were in uncharted waters with the adventure. The best of the summer films already. Hopefully JJ Abrams is signed on to do another Trek film.

Edited by Golden Arms