New Star Trek Movie In 2009..

bandit29

I admit, Khan has a certain charm to it, and 4 always has amused me, but you have got to be kidding me. The first film is not good (though not horrible), but 3, 5, and 6 are flat out bad. I wouldn't admit to most people that I had actually seen them (though, I am not a trekkie). Granted, the story is almost an afterthought, but this is the most alive any of these characters have ever been.

Well, I was talking about myself personally. My favorites are 2, 4 and 6. My appreciation and perception of them has changed over the years. One has grown on me. Three just has way too many moments that I enjoy (Stealing the Enterprise is possible my favorite Trek movie moment), Six had some great themes to it, "Is it possible that you and I have grown so old and inflexible as to have outlived our usefulness". Five is definitely the black sheep, but Shatner's memoirs does make it a touch interesting. I've also freely admitted a bias. I grew up with the films, the old cast. I know them inside and out. While I may enjoy a new actor's take on the character, Shatner will always be Kirk, Nimoy Spock, etc. It's like how I enjoy Next Gen and DS9 and even Voyager, but I would never place them as a whole above the original. I threat them as separate pieces of the same whole. Each with their moments and so on.

As a movie, it's quite good, though not without some character and pacing flaws. As a TOS based Trek movie, it's number 7 on the list. I wouldn't even think of comparing them to the Next Gen films (though I may have enjoyed it a bit more than most of those). Even if I were so foolhardy as to outright compare it to the others, which would be unfair due to the change in cast and direction, it still wouldn't rank higher than fifth. So I have too creteria for it - basically how much I enjoyed it as a film, and how much I enjoyed it as a Star Trek film. That line was in reference to the latter. I also respectfully disagree with your assessment of how "alive any of these characters are", particularly the supporting cast (which even I admit were rarely allowed to outshine the big three). Especially when they're not quite right at the moment (both intentionally and unintentionally). Though I see no point in arguing about things that pretty much come down to personal point of view.

Might I add that this is the first time I've ever seen anyone call The Undiscovered Country "flat out bad". ^_^ Though it's not like I go around looking for opinions on it. Nor do I have a problem with you not liking it. Trek is something different to you than it is to me. Naturally we're not going to have the same acceptance of certain things.

One thing I will give this film is that it's definitely rejuvenated my interest in classic Trek lately. Aside from a few film watching, it'd been mostly dormant for awhile now. I've been watching the old series lately.

Grand Admiral, I sort of like what you did to the Ambassador class, though I've never really had much of an opinion on it. Like i said, I have grown to like the Galaxy's lines, but your fix just doesn't help much. It's just built into the design. Amusingly, I've seen numerous changes to the new Big E that actually does improve her quite a bit. Though she is much better in motion.

I've never thought of the Sovereign as having any similarity with the Excelsior. She always looked like a somewhat compacter, stretched out Galaxy with Constitution tendencies in her profile. Definitely Next Gen styling.

Edited by Mercurial Morpheus

Grand Admiral, I sort of like what you did to the Ambassador class, though I've never really had much of an opinion on it. Like i said, I have grown to like the Galaxy's lines, but your fix just doesn't help much. It's just built into the design.

I don't disagree with you on that. The Galaxy class design was such a departure from the previous Starfleet aesthetic that it's difficult to make it fit with the others. My photoshop hack was just a quick idea that I had. I think to really make the Galaxy class look more related to the rest of the "family" you'd have to redesign the entire secondary hull area.

I feel that the Sovereign class looks more related to the previous designs because it doesn't have as many sweeping curves.

trek is good,but its not gonna beat the wars,and macross is miles better then gundam,imo,gundam is bit boring.

But its vastly more popular. Personally, I don't like Gundam, at all. Just making a point. :)

Saw the movie, and I thought it was pretty good. Very entertaining to say the least, and I enjoyed it very much. I hope it brings in a new and fresh wave of Star Trek movies. I think it's the boost the franchise needed.

I did think there were specific elements of the movie that seemed oddly out of place and were not needed. The whole driving the car off the cliff scene was one of them. I'm surprised that the scene made it past the cutting room floor. I get that it showed his reckless nature due to his changed past, but I didn't think it added to the story much. There was the bar scene that establishes his reckless nature in any case. I would have expected to see it as a deleted scene in the DVD. Another was where Kirk's hands became bloated as a reaction to the meds Bones gave him. Again, I understand it was a bit of comic relief, but it seemed oddly out of place.

I enjoyed all the characters overall and the casting was well done IMO. I am still a bit put off by Kirk's personality. I just get this Zack Morris from Saved by the Bell vibe. He is growing on me though. I thought the Bones portrayal was very well done. They really nailed his character. Checkov was a bit overdone. They laid the accent way to thick. Sulu was cool, but why bring a sword to a phaser fight?

The Kobayahi Maru scene was interesting because we've heard so much about in the Wrath of Khan. The execution of the actual scene was kind of dumb IMO. How his cheating wasn't completely obvious to the crew and instructors from the exact instant that he changed the scenario I'll never know.

Still, I would recommend that everyone who is remotely interested in Star Trek or sci-fi to see this movie. I would mark it as one of the better Star Trek movies to date. If I wasn't so behind on my movie watching(I still need to see Wolverine) I would probably go see it again in IMAX or a digital screen the next time. Also, watch Star Trek II The Wrath of Khan first if you can. That way you're refreshed on the lore of the Kobayashi Maru scenario. Plus it's a good movie to watch in any case. :)

Set phasers for: CASH. Just got back this morning from seeing it in our theater's new mini-IMAX and it was phenomenal. The opening was exceptionally well done.... I'm pretty sure my dad (who grew up living the original series) actually cried because of how well done it was. The plot decisions were perfect IMO to re-boot the franchise and bring it back to its original success levels... a my dad pointed out, they've now go a whole new money tree to groom with the new universe.

I was also blown away by the art direction and the cinematography... the ships looked amazing in space, and the new functional innards of the ships were great. The submarine vibe is spot-on for how I always felt the inside of the ships would look.

I may very well see it again, and I say: bring on the sequels!!

Any rumors of a new TV series yet?

The Kobayahi Maru scene was interesting because we've heard so much about in the Wrath of Khan. The execution of the actual scene was kind of dumb IMO. How his cheating wasn't completely obvious to the crew and instructors from the exact instant that he changed the scenario I'll never know.

Still, I would recommend that everyone who is remotely interested in Star Trek or sci-fi to see this movie. I would mark it as one of the better Star Trek movies to date. If I wasn't so behind on my movie watching(I still need to see Wolverine) I would probably go see it again in IMAX or a digital screen the next time. Also, watch Star Trek II The Wrath of Khan first if you can. That way you're refreshed on the lore of the Kobayashi Maru scenario. Plus it's a good movie to watch in any case. :)

Yeah, his attitude was way off in that scene. I'm still kicking myself for not picking up on the apple earlier. That worked extremely well. It helped with saying that just because things have changed, not everything truly has.

Thanks for the Zack comparison. I may not be able to unsee that now. I'd love to see it in IMAX, provided I can find one in the area that hasn't been ruined by digital conversion or is a downright poser theatre. I saw Watchman that way. Aside from the sound, it wasn't worth the added price in the slightest.

Actually yeah, I didn't at all expect the Kobayashi Maru scene to be so... well, blatantly obvious. I was waiting for Spocklar (sorry, that just fits too well for me not to use it, and it's better than Sylock) to have a little thought bubble appear over his head going "WTF HAX!"

I was hoping his hack job of the simulation would be more about finding an exploit in the program, rather than an outright rewrite (although, history did say he rewrote it). I was expecting something more like a case where some random action would produce ridiculous results that let him win.. like, mashing the shield activation button so fast that you could beam the crew through the shields, while still deflecting enemy weapons, or some other crazyness.. maybe just confusing the enemy AI by broadcasting in Klingon. *shrugs* The scene was hilarious, but I expected the cheat to be a little more subtle.

That also might have played better with Spock's reactions as well.. as it was, he was just offended that he blatantly broke the rules. If Kirk had found some flaw to exploit, it could've opened a much deeper wound in Spock's ego, having thought that he programmed a completely unwinnable scenario.

Edited by Chronocidal

I hate to admit it but the inner geek in me is itching to see this new installment... and yes I am a star trek fan but im no fanatic when it comes to the shows... I used to watch the original series and next gen on occasions but I was never a diehard fan...

What appealed to me was wisdom and philosophy portrayed throughout the series and movies... It was sci-fi that made you think about what it means to be human... It also had a strong theme of racial tolerance and acceptance to society to a degree and embraced variety in ppl and cultures.

noticed 2 things when I saw it again, 1 the reference of Slush Co or "Slush Co Mix" and that in the star fleet shuttle bay, there's an NCC-1701 shuttle and an NCC 1701A shuttle.

To me, that was interesting.

I thought the fact that he was blatantly smug was hilarious and very much Kirk-like. :lol:

I agree 100%. if he acted all serious, it wouldn't be like Kirk at all. I think he (Pike's Kirk) had no illusions of not being discovered that he re-wrote the program. he wanted to be caught. he didn't believe in a test that can't be won. and in that way, he wanted to stick it to THE MAN (who in this case just happened to be Spock). and the way he acted, coupled with the way the simulation bridge reacted to his smugness, worked out as a wonderful scene in the movie, IMO.

that being said, i F***@N loved this movie!!! and i can't wait to watch it again. :)

noticed 2 things when I saw it again, 1 the reference of Slush Co or "Slush Co Mix" and that in the star fleet shuttle bay, there's an NCC-1701 shuttle and an NCC 1701A shuttle.

To me, that was interesting.

Kirk's bag on the ice planet is labelled NCC-1701-D for all you Galaxy fans. The product placement was a touch odd. Nokia carphones (I guess it was a classic), Bud Classic (though I believe that was for letting the production use a Bud plant as Engineering).

I agree 100%. if he acted all serious, it wouldn't be like Kirk at all. I think he (Pike's Kirk) had no illusions of not being discovered that he re-wrote the program. he wanted to be caught. he didn't believe in a test that can't be won. and in that way, he wanted to stick it to THE MAN (who in this case just happened to be Spock). and the way he acted, coupled with the way the simulation bridge reacted to his smugness, worked out as a wonderful scene in the movie, IMO.

that being said, i F***@N loved this movie!!! and i can't wait to watch it again. :)

i reallly liked the nod to the WoK with the apple.

I thought the fact that he was blatantly smug was hilarious and very much Kirk-like. :lol:

I agree as well. I thought it was MUCH more keeping in kirks character than exploiting some programming bug. He saw something he saw as unfair and he broke it. And I loved that the whole scene was played out with Pine doing a William Crapner impersonation, his smug assholness was perfect.

The only thing that I not like from the test escene was the cheat itself.

If I remember correctly, the "cheat" was make the klingons to run away because their enemy was the "Captain Kirk"

Just saw the movie and I loved it. The one thing that really bothered me about the movie (which i tried REALLY hard not to let it bother me, cause it makes me sound like a typical trek fanboy) was

during the opening sequence, when the Kelvin made its kamikaze run, shouldnt the expolsion be bigger due to the warp core breach? and shouldn't it have taken out the Romulan vessel?

:huh:

Excellent movie, and I will be seeing it again on my next day off ^_^

I have read that the updated Big E is now 2500-3000 feet long (762-914.4meters long). :blink: Is that even possible given the scale of the windows and the bridge ? :huh: Even the 24th century Federation ships like Enterprise-D (642 meters long) and the Enterprise-E (685 meters long) are not that big.

P.S. : The original Big E is 289 meters long and the refit version of it is 305 meters long in the prime timeline.

Edited by Macross007

That really doesn't seem to scale with details etc. Though it would explain how they have space inside for 4-story mostly-empty engineering spaces... (that was my main nit to pick--not how the engineering areas LOOKED, but how OPEN and EMPTY they were----no ship/plane ever built has room for empty, unused space all over--you just plain don't see high ceilings in a man-made vessel)

well really,since

nimoy as spock was there,that means everything from the series has already happened, its just in the alternate timeline that they went thru is where things are different,everything that happened in the trek you all know already passed in the nimoy spock's timeline.

so if they it gives them a chance to create something new without hindering the trek series or other movies.

hey, I just realized... in the new timeline, Saavik is probably dead!

(well, of course, with all this emphasis on "fate" and "destiny", she could very well be among the 10,000 vulcan survivors. how lucky.) :p

Edited by dreamweaver13

If I remember correctly, the "cheat" was make the klingons to run away because their enemy was the "Captain Kirk"

Sorta. That was the gist of it from a novel, but the novel isn't considered canon.

have read that the updated Big E is now 2500-3000 feet long (762-914.4meters long). blink.gif Is that even possible given the scale of the windows and the bridge ? huh.gif Even the 24th century Federation ships like Enterprise-D (642 meters long) and the Enterprise-E (685 meters long) are not that big.

P.S. : The original Big E is 289 meters long and the refit version of it is 305 meters long in the prime timeline.

I'm reading the same stuff, from a magazine article and the movie's website, and even the Memory Alpha wiki is listing it as 757 meters. I don't see where they came up with that number... not only did the ship not look that big compared to the window on the bridge, but it didn't seem that big in the shipyard on Earth. Personally, I'm going to assume it's no larger than the Enterprise-A, until I hear differently from whoever's actually in charge of the franchise these days.

Slightly off-topic: is anyone collecting the Star Trek glasses from Burger King?

I only want Kirk and Spock. I bought a Kirk glass from my local BK for $1.99 - they didn't have Spock in stock. I went to another town about 10 miles away and bought Spock for $3.99. WTF is with the price difference???

<_<

For those of you who have bought the glasses, how much did you pay for a glass??

post-3878-1242017162_thumb.jpg

post-3878-1242017168_thumb.jpg

Edited by Vermillion21

Slightly off-topic: is anyone collecting the Star Trek glasses from Burger King?

I only want Kirk and Spock. I bought a Kirk glass from my local BK for $1.99 - they didn't have Spock in stock. I went to another town about 10 miles away and bought Spock for $3.99. WTF is with the price difference???

<_<

For those of you who have bought the glasses, how much did you pay for a glass??

You mean the kingons didn't get you.

A question for anyone into physics and stuff,

isn't it possible to be sent back in time as well as alternate realities by going through a black hole if certain conditions were met?

Let's say probably not. While there's still a lot that's not understood about black holes, we do know that a black hole isn't actually a hole, but a singularity... that is, a point where all of the black hole's matter is condensed into a point that is so compacted it essentially has infinite density and zero volume. As an object approaches the black hole it would become stretched, eventually become one-dimensional (length, but no width or depth) before being crushed into the singularity.

The thing is, a lot of what we know about black holes, especially with regards to what goes on on the other side of a black hole's event horizon, is basically educated guesses. Modern physics models are actually inadequate at describing something with infinite density and zero volume, leading to problems like the black hole information loss paradox and the black hole unitarity paradox.

Finally, general relativity does allow that two interconnected black holes could warp space-time in such a way as to create a tunnel through the fabric of space time. However, such a theoretical idea seems unlikely, as there's no known process for creating such a connection. Still, the universe is turning out to be a much stranger place that we ever imagined, and if some of the theoretical branches of physics out there turn out to be correct, who knows?

<_<

Are they real glass or plastic?

Man, I miss my Star Trek III glass I got from Taco Bell 25 years ago.

I picked up two glass sets and they're real glasses. They say the set is $7.00 prior to tax, and they wanted $2.99 for a lone glass without meal (I wanted a second Spock glass, but decided to pay the added 4 bucks for the rest of them). On the reciept it was 15.92 for the glasses (labelled "w/meal" so it shouldn't have been a higher price), so I was definitely charged about 8 bucks a set. It was $1.49 for the Scotty toy, and I have some odd $1.94 charge for "Cents +" that I'm really been wondering about. Anyone know what that is? I did originally ring up 5 glasses then switch to eight. Came out to about 21 dollars for eight glasses and a Scotty toy (I wanted Original Spock, but it was Scotty, Kirk or the Kelvin).

Speaking of the Kelvin, I wonder how that Iowa town feels about Kirk being born in space.

I never expected him to act serious in the Kobayashi Maru, but it was a little too far. Like one put it, more Zack Morris, than Kirk.

Edited by Mercurial Morpheus