Macross II: Lovers Again (Kickstarter Project) - Animeigo BD release thread

• azrael changed the title to Macross II: Lovers Again (Kickstarter Project) - Animeigo BD release thread
On 12/16/2023 at 3:28 PM, pengbuzz said:

Right? Looks like a lot of folks out there really want to see MII!!

I think it’s an odd time when people are more excited about an older yet less than stellar anime compared to the stuff of today. M2 definitely wasn’t my favorite, but I’d easily watch it several times on blu ray 

Many moons ago in the mid-90s I came across by chance and picked up a Macross soundtrack CD. The album contained tracks mostly from TV / DYRL / FB2012, but there were a few extra unfamiliar tracks in there which sounded really good and eventually I got more hooked to them than the songs from the aforementioned Macross titles. The album was obviously entirely in Japanese, so I would not know the name of the songs and only go by the track # for playback reference. 

I think it was only within the past few years that I found out these extra tracks actually came from Macross II, so it was a pleasant surprise as my only other touch point to Macross II up till then was the old RPG books. Eventually I watched the anime, and although it was ultimately average & falling short as a whole, there were still nice things going for it but I suspect it's mostly due to individual nostalgia elements rather it being a great story haha.

Nice to know the Kickstarter for it is now more than a massive success. 

I used to watch the series on a dub of a dubbed VHS tape.  instantly was hooked on the music... especially the opening and closing themes.  The VF2SS is also up there in my top 5, maybe even 3... valkyrie designs.  I'm happy that this Kickstarter is releasing.

22 hours ago, Valkyrie Hunter D said:

I got nothing against Macross II, even with the wonky looking Metal Siren.  Definitely looking forward to this release.

Macross II also had some great tunes; for a background character Wendy Ryder's songs were outstanding:

Love this song.  Used to play the M2 CD soundtrack all the time.  Wonder wheere that CD went.....

Thanks for posting, happy to support this!  I remember not being impressed with M2, but it's been so long that it I don't remember it at all and deserves another shot not to mention a spot in my DVD collection.  Guess I have to round out my toy collection with an HMR VF-2SS now!

Upgrades to be added tonight:

"Tier One : Customized Personal Shikishi - $2000 (limit of 10)

These shikishi are created specifically for the recipient and are completely unique. They are hand-drawn and colored by Mikimoto-sensei, and the recipient can make suggestions as to the content which the artist will take into consideration when creating the artwork. The subject matter must be Macross II-related. In some cases there may be some back-and-forth discussions before the artist settles on an acceptable design.

Tier Two : Semi-Customized Limited Edition Shikishi - $800 (limit of 30)

These shikishi will all use the same base drawing, which will be created exclusively for use in this tier. The core line art and base hair and skin color work will be printed on shikishi boards, and then the artist will individually color the clothing and background of each shikishi before inscribing and signing/numbering them.

Tier Three : Limited Edition Printed Shikishi - $300 (limited to one per project backer)

These shikishi will all use the same new fully detailed and colored drawing (so they will have the same level of detail as the other tiers) but are fully printed reproductions. As with all the other shikishi, they will be personally inscribed and signed/numbered by the artist. Note that this tier will not use the same base drawing as tier two!

Mikimoto-sensei wants to get input from interested backers about possible design suggestions for the Tier Two and Three drawings. So opine away in the comments. He has also told us that he intends to use the Tier Two and Three artwork to experiment with drawing on a computer in the shikishi style, which should result in something very interesting indeed!"

Attached are examples from the Megazone 23 Kickstarter:

ad7d8f70ed723ad2d5d21f7b36989cda_original.jpeg.e14b87101a7e92a461755520a3f1de42.jpeg

c444e7dfd30aaeb1e925e26b81c65bd4_original.jpg.c7d0ad43f7be51e5eea6e8e3ea06ce5f.jpg

Very pricey upgrades, and yet very tempting...

On 12/30/2023 at 3:04 PM, MKT said:

Really a very successful Kickstarter so far. English dub is now confirmed.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/madoverlord/macross-ii-lovers-again-alus-edition/posts/3996515

Yay! <_<

I'm happy for those who look forward having the dub on the BluRay but for me the English dub by U.S. Renditions was the worst part of M2 (I assume that’s what we are talking about).

16 hours ago, MKT said:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/madoverlord/macross-ii-lovers-again-alus-edition/posts/3996597

UHD / 4k resolution is now available, either by paying extra $10 or if it meets $351k funding.

My kickstarter settings are set to Canadian dollars. When I looked at the progress so far, I saw 351K and I almost celebrated, until I saw it was in Canadian dollars. As I type this, it's still only at 266K US. It's getting there.

On 12/31/2023 at 6:52 AM, Scyla said:

Yay! <_<

I'm happy for those who look forward having the dub on the BluRay but for me the English dub by U.S. Renditions was the worst part of M2 (I assume that’s what we are talking about).

I’ll probably enjoy the subs more, but sometimes I just want to watch what’s on the screen 

So to get the UHD, I just wait until after the initial campaign is over (in 13 days), then there will be a new $10 upgrade option right?
Unless of course it gets to the $350k tier (here is hoping!)

From the project:
"Backers who want to receive a Blu-ray / UHD combo (2 discs instead of 1) will be able to add-on UHD for $10 post-campaign. In addition, the 4K materials will also be used to author the Blu-ray release."
"PS: The reason the UHD add-on has to be post-campaign is that once we create an add-on, we can't remove it, and if we hit the second stretch goal, it becomes redundant."

Maybe all of this interest in Macross II Blu-ray/UHD disk release will convince a reputable toy maker that we finally need a 1/60 scale VF-2SS, VF-2JA, Metal Siren toy that we all have been craving since Macross II released on VHS.

Twich

2 hours ago, twich said:

Maybe all of this interest in Macross II Blu-ray/UHD disk release will convince a reputable toy maker that we finally need a 1/60 scale VF-2SS, VF-2JA, Metal Siren toy that we all have been craving since Macross II released on VHS.

Twich

Didn't Evolution Toys do both all three a few years ago? Maybe I'm misremembering. Maybe they did just one or two, maybe not at 1/60 scale.

Edited by kajnrig

15 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

Didn't Evolution Toys do both all three a few years ago? Maybe I'm misremembering. Maybe they did just one or two, maybe not at 1/60 scale.

They only did the VF-2SS, the quality was ok but not great, and like Bandai before them they did the super-armed pack as a detachable setup so it is considerably chunkier than it is in the animation and looks kind of terrible.

They did do three separate color schemes for the VF-2SS, the red stripe Sylvie type, the blue stripe Nex Gilbert type, and the yellow stripe women's version used by the other three members of Fairy Platoon.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

15 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

They only did the VF-2SS, the quality was ok but not great, and like Bandai before them they did the super-armed pack as a detachable setup so it is considerably chunkier than it is in the animation and looks kind of terrible.

They did do three separate color schemes for the VF-2SS, the red stripe Sylvie type, the blue stripe Nex Gilbert type, and the yellow stripe women's version used by the other three members of Fairy Platoon.

I was aware of the 1/60 scale Evolution Toys VF-2SS effort and also how it was almost universally reviled by almost all.  I should have been more specific about wanting a Bandai DX Chogokin VF-2SS, VF-2JA and Metal Siren. Thank You!

Twich

3 hours ago, twich said:

I was aware of the 1/60 scale Evolution Toys VF-2SS effort and also how it was almost universally reviled by almost all.  I should have been more specific about wanting a Bandai DX Chogokin VF-2SS, VF-2JA and Metal Siren. Thank You!

Twich

Yeah, it didn't stop me from buying multiples because hey... it was anyone's guess when Macross II would get another toy release... but it'd be nice to have something higher quality and hopefully this Kickstarter among other things will demonstrate that demand exists for more Macross II stuff.