Macross II: Lovers Again (Kickstarter Project) - Animeigo BD release thread

While I was looking at a question about printing, I had another thought about something that may or may not wind up in the artbook.

I'm very curious to see if the artbook will have anything for Macross II: Lovers Again's two video game tie-ins: Macross 2036 and Macross: Eternal Love Song.  The games are often overlooked despite being canon to Macross II: Lovers Again's parallel world timeline because they were for a console that never took off in the west (NEC's PC Engine) and they're only really referenced in one artbook (Entertainment Bible 51) and official magazine coverage of the OVA.  The games had original Haruhiko Mikimoto character art and a number of original mechanical designs that never got decent prints in artbooks.  If they have access to that content as well, the Alus Edition Kickstarter's artbook could be the first book to actually print much of that art.

If they do this right, it could be the first real definitive artbook that Macross II has ever had. 😁

So much of the art was scattered in random magazine articles in AnimageNewtype, and B-Club.  The print quality of the Bandai Entertainment Bible books always left a bit to be desired, and This is Animation Special 5 kind of crammed a lot of the minor designs into a page or two at the very end.

Even if they don't get the more obscure stuff, I've still got a good feeling about this one.  

On 2/4/2024 at 2:37 AM, Seto Kaiba said:

If they do this right, it could be the first real definitive artbook that Macross II has ever had. 😁

So much of the art was scattered in random magazine articles in AnimageNewtype, and B-Club.  The print quality of the Bandai Entertainment Bible books always left a bit to be desired, and This is Animation Special 5 kind of crammed a lot of the minor designs into a page or two at the very end.

Even if they don't get the more obscure stuff, I've still got a good feeling about this one.  

A little undecided on this one, since funds are scarce for me. At the same time, I loved the setting and mecha for MII (albeit I don't read Japanese very well).

On 2/3/2024 at 1:26 PM, Seto Kaiba said:

While I was looking at a question about printing, I had another thought about something that may or may not wind up in the artbook.

I'm very curious to see if the artbook will have anything for Macross II: Lovers Again's two video game tie-ins: Macross 2036 and Macross: Eternal Love Song.  The games are often overlooked despite being canon to Macross II: Lovers Again's parallel world timeline because they were for a console that never took off in the west (NEC's PC Engine) and they're only really referenced in one artbook (Entertainment Bible 51) and official magazine coverage of the OVA.  The games had original Haruhiko Mikimoto character art and a number of original mechanical designs that never got decent prints in artbooks.  If they have access to that content as well, the Alus Edition Kickstarter's artbook could be the first book to actually print much of that art.

Speaking of those games, what I'd do for an official compilation of 16- and 32-bit Macross games...

• 1 month later...

Mr. Woodhead's latest update:

"We have received most of the raw film transfers from Japan (just a few minor elements yet to come) and the work of massaging them has begun.

We've also received almost all of the artwork and settei and are assembling them into the artbook.

First drafts of the subtitles will be going out to the proofreading team early next month.

In other news, Natsumi is currently in Japan and is meeting Mikimoto-sensei at an undisclosed location to discuss the new Macross II artwork."

It's slowly coming together.