New Macross Animation Announced, to be animated by Sunrise

seti88

6 hours ago, Falcon said:

I'd be interested to know when that vote took place. Really surprised that M7 beat Macross Frontier... although I like M7 music more I always thought that Frontier was in the Goldilocks zone with the music and mecha action.

March-May 2019... and you may have misunderstood, Macross Frontier was the top-rated series and Macross title overall.  Macross 7 was the second highest-rated series and the third highest-rated title overall (below Macross Frontier and DYRL?).

1 hour ago, Einherjar said:

A lot of people here should just admit they really want a Robotech sequel, and not any of the garbage that came out after episode 85.

Lol. I'm really not sure what you mean by a Robowreck sequel! So after shadow chronicles?? :unknw: You see, everything after episode 85 is " canon"".

Aside from what anyone on this forum want's for the new animation , chances are it's not gonna be on your wishlist. And it will probably still do well domestically.

Edited by Bolt

I would like to believe that the reason why Sunrise is animating the next Macross series is because they are planning on making two new series this time, one done by Sunrise and the other by Satelight, perhaps one will be an OVA or a movie and the other a TV show. With one of them being made to primarily target the western audience in order to help reintroduce Macross back to the west. Here's hoping that they reveal something this coming up Anime Expo. Fingers crossed or a hand in the shape of an airplane, whatever helps.

I'm still going with the whole Bandai owns Sunrise argument for why it's not Satelight. The theory makes even more sense in light of what Seto said about why Sunrise wasn't the first pick when Delta was produced (still being gobbled up by Bandai). 

3 hours ago, network19 said:

I would like to believe that the reason why Sunrise is animating the next Macross series is because they are planning on making two new series this time, one done by Sunrise and the other by Satelight, perhaps one will be an OVA or a movie and the other a TV show. With one of them being made to primarily target the western audience in order to help reintroduce Macross back to the west.

I hope so too! 

4 hours ago, network19 said:

I would like to believe that the reason why Sunrise is animating the next Macross series is because they are planning on making two new series this time, one done by Sunrise and the other by Satelight, perhaps one will be an OVA or a movie and the other a TV show. With one of them being made to primarily target the western audience in order to help reintroduce Macross back to the west. Here's hoping that they reveal something this coming up Anime Expo. Fingers crossed or a hand in the shape of an airplane, whatever helps.

I doubt it... every new Macross TV series is structured to be an ambassador to new viewers.  They don't get bogged down in heavy continuity and any essential info is either given in the story proper or in an info blurb before the opening.  

My guess is either they're hoping to exploit Bandai Namco's established distribution network and experience in marketing anime to audiences outside of Japan or Satelight decided to pass on it after Delta's comparatively lukewarm reception.

Sunrise's standard of writing has not been great lately, so I hope Big West/Studio Nue bring their own writers.  I'd hate to see a Macross series turn into a plotless, wandering mess like Mobile Suit Gundam: the Witch from Mercury.

On 6/13/2023 at 1:14 AM, Bolt said:

Lol. I'm really not sure what you mean by a Robowreck sequel! So after shadow chronicles?? :unknw: You see, everything after episode 85 is " canon"".

Aside from what anyone on this forum want's for the new animation , chances are it's not gonna be on your wishlist. And it will probably still do well domestically.

I think the person you're replying to is commenting on how a bunch of people are going "We want our Macross to be like it *used* to be, without the magic music and the idol singers!" - which is basically what happened with Robotech, which went a grittier route than Macross, so they (the people wanting grittier Macross)  should just admit that they don't actually want more Macross (which has had the "music is magic" as part of its mythos since DYRL at least), they want more Robotech. (though preferably Robotech that's actually good). 

Me, I don't mind any of the music-heavy or even the magic-heavy shows at all, and my worst complaint about Macross 7 was that the songs didn't continue when they cut to the action in the first several episodes, so Mylene's song in episode one was chopped up. Which in turn meant that the only song we got to hear more than bits and pieces of was Planet Dance for several episodes. 

Anyway, here's to hoping that whatever this new Macross production is, we get a proper model kit line that covers *all* of the mecha. I'm sick and tired of the DX toys that I can't afford being the *only* line which gets even close to a complete lineup. Where's my 1/72 YF-29 from *any* manufacturer? Where's my 1/72 VF-31 Armored? Why did it take nearly 15 years to get a VF-171 in 1/72?

26 minutes ago, SebastianP said:

I think the person you're replying to is commenting on how a bunch of people are going "We want our Macross to be like it *used* to be, without the magic music and the idol singers!" - which is basically what happened with Robotech, which went a grittier route than Macross, so they (the people wanting grittier Macross)  should just admit that they don't actually want more Macross (which has had the "music is magic" as part of its mythos since DYRL at least), they want more Robotech. (though preferably Robotech that's actually good). 

Me, I don't mind any of the music-heavy or even the magic-heavy shows at all, and my worst complaint about Macross 7 was that the songs didn't continue when they cut to the action in the first several episodes, so Mylene's song in episode one was chopped up. Which in turn meant that the only song we got to hear more than bits and pieces of was Planet Dance for several episodes. 

Anyway, here's to hoping that whatever this new Macross production is, we get a proper model kit line that covers *all* of the mecha. I'm sick and tired of the DX toys that I can't afford being the *only* line which gets even close to a complete lineup. Where's my 1/72 YF-29 from *any* manufacturer? Where's my 1/72 VF-31 Armored? Why did it take nearly 15 years to get a VF-171 in 1/72?

Won’t be getting the YF-29 in 1/72 scale, but they are releasing it in 1/100 from Bandai High Grade.  They already released a YF-19 and have teased a YF-29 Max Custom and a YF-21. Check out the model section for more details.

Twich

1 hour ago, SebastianP said:

I got sick of waiting for bandai 1/72. realizing it's a dead line is why i started collecting dx. i've been burned by bandai whle trying to complete collections of no grade 1/100, MG, SD, gachapon figures, and some converge figure lines, to trust them with ever completing anything. one of each unique valk design in premium toy form seems like a better deal than a large collection of incomplete ktis to me. it probably costs less overall too.

in a world where even the entirety of the master grade line is finally speculated to be getting slowly killed off, asking for bandai to restart an obscure 1/72 line sounds wild. the new macross hg line pretty much seals the possibility of bandai doing 1/72 again. the only thing that is everlasting with bandai is the hg line itself, and the absolute incompleteness of all the series within it, as well as killing off other product lines. if you live long enough, maybe they will throw you a bone by releasing one of many missing units through p-bandai in a decade or two...

with bandai namco also sticking their hand in the armored core pie now, it looks like they are just hoarding mecha IP. i imagine their product lines will get even more diluted if the start releasing AC stuff, whlie also gating anyone else from trying to make kits of anything without hefty licensing fees lol

On 6/13/2023 at 1:07 AM, Seto Kaiba said:

Sunrise's standard of writing has not been great lately, so I hope Big West/Studio Nue bring their own writers.  I'd hate to see a Macross series turn into a plotless, wandering mess like Mobile Suit Gundam: the Witch from Mercury.

I feel like calling it "plotless" is a overstep despite its flaws; it's just not doing the regular Gundam formula (which even by Seed and even by Zeta got kinda tiring) and that's fine.

With that said Kawamori will easily be involved with some of the planning, and IIRC writers for anime aren't bound to one studio at least back then. Many of Macross Plus' development team later did Sunrise's Cowboy Bepop a few years after.

On 6/14/2023 at 7:35 PM, PointBlankSniper said:

I got sick of waiting for bandai 1/72. realizing it's a dead line is why i started collecting dx. i've been burned by bandai whle trying to complete collections of no grade 1/100, MG, SD, gachapon figures, and some converge figure lines, to trust them with ever completing anything. one of each unique valk design in premium toy form seems like a better deal than a large collection of incomplete ktis to me. it probably costs less overall too.

in a world where even the entirety of the master grade line is finally speculated to be getting slowly killed off, asking for bandai to restart an obscure 1/72 line sounds wild. the new macross hg line pretty much seals the possibility of bandai doing 1/72 again. the only thing that is everlasting with bandai is the hg line itself, and the absolute incompleteness of all the series within it, as well as killing off other product lines. if you live long enough, maybe they will throw you a bone by releasing one of many missing units through p-bandai in a decade or two...

with bandai namco also sticking their hand in the armored core pie now, it looks like they are just hoarding mecha IP. i imagine their product lines will get even more diluted if the start releasing AC stuff, whlie also gating anyone else from trying to make kits of anything without hefty licensing fees lol

Honestly: if I cannot afford any models or collectibles from a series, my interest tends to wane considerably (I tend to be fairly tactile). And right now, funds are at a premium for me.

On 6/15/2023 at 12:10 PM, TG Remix said:

I feel like calling it "plotless" is a overstep despite its flaws; it's just not doing the regular Gundam formula (which even by Seed and even by Zeta got kinda tiring) and that's fine.

It's basically plotless... things happen, but there's no sense of an overarching story connecting it all.  It just jackknifes from one random crisis to the next and then forgets to resolve any of them.

3 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

Honestly: if I cannot afford any models or collectibles from a series, my interest tends to wane considerably (I tend to be fairly tactile). And right now, funds are at a premium for me.

Yeah, it'd be nice to have some gunpla-style Macross plamodels as an entry level option... those are cheap and cheerful, don't require painting, etc.

HG gunpla are like $16 US plus shipping... that's a hell of a lot more accessible than $300-400 for a DX Chogokin.

2 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Yeah, it'd be nice to have some gunpla-style Macross plamodels as an entry level option... those are cheap and cheerful, don't require painting, etc.

HG gunpla are like $16 US plus shipping... that's a hell of a lot more accessible than $300-400 for a DX Chogokin.

I'd love to see a return of the MG-level 1/72 transforming kits, but it seems Bandai's more going for the 1/100 parts-forming ones.

As far as Chogokin and Hi-Metal go, they're pretty comparable to the Gundam Metal Build and Metal Robot Spirits lines. Not sure we'll ever get something like the Robot Spirits or HG lines unless it's completely non-transforming.

22 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

I'd love to see a return of the MG-level 1/72 transforming kits, but it seems Bandai's more going for the 1/100 parts-forming ones.

As far as Chogokin and Hi-Metal go, they're pretty comparable to the Gundam Metal Build and Metal Robot Spirits lines. Not sure we'll ever get something like the Robot Spirits or HG lines unless it's completely non-transforming.

They could always go the TOMYTEC route and make separate kits for Fighter and Battroid so that you have to buy both if you wanna display in GERWALK mode.:rofl:

That was a dick move... that and how those kits were the only decent source of info on the new Valkyries for like half of Macross Delta's actual broadcast run.

More than anything, a new Macross series needs some solid coverage in the hobby press.  I don't think it's entirely unrelated that Delta got very little coverage and was also the lowest ranked of the four Macross TV shows by fans.

4 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

It's basically plotless... things happen, but there's no sense of an overarching story connecting it all.  It just jackknifes from one random crisis to the next and then forgets to resolve any of them.

There are pacing issues to be sure but to say no conflict is resolved is...Not true? By that logic that can apply to Macross 7 or just 90% of Gundam as a whole and not G-Witch specifically because the biggest conflicts are dragged out and really only resolved in the final few episodes. "Things happen until we go after the giant space fortress" essentially, and that's also pretty much a lot of "Space Road Trip" animes from the 70's and 80's if you really want to stretch it.

I'm just hoping for great writers this time around. This upcoming series needs to fix, what I believe are their three biggest problems of last two series.
Which is the lack of a well written antagonist, proper tactics and the use of deus ex machina.
The romance should move away from being a love triangle.

On 6/19/2023 at 12:06 PM, network19 said:

I'm just hoping for great writers this time around. This upcoming series needs to fix, what I believe are their three biggest problems of last two series.
Which is the lack of a well written antagonist, proper tactics and the use of deus ex machina.
The romance should move away from being a love triangle.

Love Square or maybe Hexagonal love spirals 

Hopefully the next show steers away from "ancient protodevlin fold macguffin" as a plot device.

Really excited to see what new VFs they'll introduce though. Might be an outlier opinion but Kawamori is still going strong in that department, the recent designs like the 262, 303, 31 are very cool machines.

I would like to see something like that is occurring now between Ukraine and the Neo-Soviets: Civil War between systems, systems near the edges of human-occupied space (far enough away that NUNS back on Terra has a very hard time dealing with the problem themselves). Throw in some Zentradi fleet action that stumbles across the melee but make the story reflect some of the 'distasteful' politics that have reared in Frontier and Delta's storylines...

1 hour ago, TehPW said:

I would like to see something like that is occurring now between Ukraine and the Neo-Soviets: Civil War between systems, systems near the edges of human-occupied space (far enough away that NUNS back on Terra has a very hard time dealing with the problem themselves). Throw in some Zentradi fleet action that stumbles across the melee but make the story reflect some of the 'distasteful' politics that have reared in Frontier and Delta's storylines...

Zentradi revanchism mixed in w/ anti-UN separatism would be a cool turn for a mainline Macross anime. That's the kinda stuff that iirc only really gets explored in side material.

Please no Gundamnization of Macross... ace pilots, yes,  one off custom mechs, no (color variations excepted)

Somehow, I'd like to have a grittier version of the pilot... another Dyson or Guld, may be.  Definitely not another Immelman.  

I suppose we could always have Max again, but he'd be pushing 80 at that point.

23 minutes ago, kalvasflam said:

Please no Gundamnization of Macross... ace pilots, yes,  one off custom mechs, no (color variations excepted)

Yeah, I'd like to see them get away from that again too...

Granted, Macross II technically started it with Lord Feff having a custom Gigamesh in full Char Custom style.  Macross Frontier: The Wings of Goodbye and Macross Delta ran a bit far with it.  The YF-29's a straight-up super-prototype ala Gundam, the YF-30 retroactively became one thanks to the introduction of the economized version in the VF-31 Kairos, and of course the VF-31 Custom Siegfried and VF-31AX Kairos Plus were very much Gundam-style Ace Custom versions.

On 6/4/2023 at 10:47 PM, BlueMax said:

Cautiously optimistic. Since it is Sunrise, hopefully there will be a refocus back to the Mecha. Mecha has played a distant 3rd fiddle to the idols and love triangles long enough.

Shoji Kawamori for the VFs and Kazutaka Miyatake for non VFs. Yoko Kanno for music. Kawamori should take a break from directing. 

Main concern is the possible “Gundamification” of the VFs though.

VFs with fin funnels, anyone? :D 

TBH. it's really odd to see Sunrise do a Macross show.

Edited by grss1982
typo

Personally I'd like to see them push the valks even further into super robot territory, but juxtaposed against a more serious setting. I think Sunrise are kind of masters of managing to fit fantastical elements into a more grounded setting. I mean Gundam is THE poster child for the real robot genre, despite the fact that almost every series has some sort of space magic. I think it would be a cool way to explore Macross' optimistic worldview juxtaposed against a bleaker overall tone

I think it will be interesting to see how Sunrise handle a Macross show.

As long as it is better than Delta, I'll be happy. But that is a pretty low bar, so it shouldn't be difficult.

Hopefully there is a decent budget allocated to it and we get some good animation quality and and a fair amount of mecha action.

I'm fine with Macross animes always being based on the standard 3 pillars of music, mecha and a love triangle, but at least give me 5 minutes of mecha action per 20 + minute episode.

The thing I hated most about Delta is that after Messer died in episode 13, we had no mecha action at all until episode 24 IIRC. I remember week after week hoping for some mecha action, but there was nothing.  Heck I'll even settle for just 2 minutes of mecha per episode as long as it's well animated.

My guess is that Sunrise will go somewhere back in the timeline, rather than do a post-Delta show. 

Edited by Graham-Is-Back

6 hours ago, Graham-Is-Back said:

The thing I hated most about Delta is that after Messer died in episode 13, we had no mecha action at all until episode 24 IIRC. I remember week after week hoping for some mecha action, but there was nothing.  Heck I'll even settle for just 2 minutes of mecha per episode as long as it's well animated.

You mean more than just dog fights? Because there were a decent amount of Valkyrie fights even though they leaned more towards the Fighters than fights with the Battroids.

6 hours ago, Graham-Is-Back said:

My guess is that Sunrise will go somewhere back in the timeline, rather than do a post-Delta show. 

I'd keep my hopes down for that, unfortunately. The only other animated series that went back chronologically was Zero, and that one was a very special exception compared to how much Gundam goes back to the OYW and CCA-Unicorn era. Even side materials like Dynamite and The Ride usually take place a few short years before or after the main series they're jumping off from.

If it doesn't get a proper global simulcast like any other current anime series on whatever streaming service, then the worldwide agreement would have been pointless.

Hoping that Big West is already working hard on this point, since they don't have much experience on it.

My last favorite was Frontier, though I liked Delta well enough. Excited to hear that they are in the works for another and as long as it is Kawamori I am sure to be entertained! 

What I would LOVE though, would be for them to redo all of the visuals for the original series. Keep the music and voice work, but the visuals have not aged well at all. Maybe for the next anniversary,,,?🙏

I don't know how I feel about this. Sunrise at times produces grounded series with adults characters leading, and at times it goes all colourfully cutey with annoyingly confused teenagers needing to save the galaxy.

I'm in the camp of wanting something more military serious, and nothing silly like mechs with giant fish hooks as weapons while magically fueled with love and friendship. 

Witch from Mercury is better than anything Macross since Plus came out. Facts.

I'm not expecting much from the new series... expecting the worst, hoping for something decent. The less Kawamori is involved, the better, quite frankly.

22 minutes ago, kazuo said:

Witch from Mercury is better than anything Macross since Plus came out. Facts.

I'm not expecting much from the new series... expecting the worst, hoping for something decent. The less Kawamori is involved, the better, quite frankly.

Witch mercury still suffers of confused teenagers piloting mechs that shoot sailor moon magic. 

But I'm on some page that Frontier and Delta are short of the expectations left by Plus and Zero...