ThreeZero ROBOTECH (Macross) Toys

kyekye

3 hours ago, MKT said:

The interview with ThreeZero CEO is also interesting, as he has this slight nugget of info that the waist swivel is not much, only by a bit. This means the swivel bar shouldn't be detachable like the Chogokin, and perhaps more akin to.. I can't remember, but KC's do have a bit waist swivel, right?

Maybe they'll release the cad images showing the internal mechanics as they did with the Evas before release to get a better understanding of this. 

6 hours ago, Raikkonen said:

Maybe they'll release the cad images showing the internal mechanics as they did with the Evas before release to get a better understanding of this. 

Ok I think I figured out how the limited waist swivel works..

If we go back to the 3D animated transformation video on the previous page, here is the hip swing bar set up:

TZVF-1SwingBarA.jpg.692ab06aa14723b6a8a045c3f2107389.jpg

The swing bar is essentially 2 different pieces, the upper part (colored yellow) and the lower part connected to the hips (colored red). The yellow part, has a semi-circular bar that follows the curvature of & partially wraps around the nosecone. The red part, which actually locks into the nosecone radome, is able to slide anywhere along the yellow semi-circular bar. In combination with radome rotation, this essentially gives the waist swivel, as much as the circular bar allows (the red arrows).

I'd say it is a pretty ingenious solution, allowing a fair degree of waist swivel without the fiddly, wholly detaching and therefore perfect transformation-breaking swing bar of the Chogokin.

TZVF-1SwingBarB.jpg.5e44c9c2b3a84ef9b3e2c3b07b116d88.jpg

Edited by MKT

Here, I'll put it back to you. Go to a convention and go to to a booth and say "hey, would you be interested in making more toys for this line?" And come back here and tell us how many said "no." Then, when they all say "you bet!", you can apologize for this little tantrum. 

EDIT - Okay, I promise I will stop engaging in this back and forth. Also, I'll give you a win, I said "EVERY" which literally means 100%. If you're argument is that it is less than 100%, and historically some have delivered, there is no doubt you're correct. It's semantics, the point remains that it's what a company would usually say at this point because it makes business sense and so there's no real value in the statement. 

Edited by jenius

On 9/17/2023 at 1:15 PM, jenius said:

Which every manufacturer says when selling VF-1 toys to try to get a few more people to buy vf-1 toys with no real likelihood of moving on past that. 

I was thinking about your rage and so I humbly submit this edit:

"Which every manufacturer says when selling toys to try to get a few more people to buy more of whatever toys with no real likelihood of moving on past that."

Basically, don't get your hopes up for someone giving the only correct answer. This is the Robotech license, not Macross... gonna take a miracle to get more than an Alpha. 

These versions look amazing:D but sadly I've had to cancel my preorder. my reasoning is I want them with strike kits/armor kits so I'll wait until they have a deluxe bundle or offer them as add-on kits.  I might also just buy a few Example Bandai 1/48's at some point and call in a day!;)

1 minute ago, Spark-O-Matic said:

These versions look amazing:D but sadly I've had to cancel my preorder. my reasoning is I want them with strike kits/armor kits so I'll wait until they have a deluxe bundle or offer them as add-on kits.  I might also just buy a few Example Bandai 1/48's at some point and call in a day!;)

Smart call; why pay more to get a set of strike/ super armor when you can get the entire package for one price?

I maybe in the minority here, but I prefer my VF-1’s to be bare, without the armor. There is just something about the lines of bare jet mode. I have the DX VF-1J Armored GBP-1 set, and I keep it in fighter mode without the armor.

Twich

58 minutes ago, twich said:

I maybe in the minority here, but I prefer my VF-1’s to be bare, without the armor. There is just something about the lines of bare jet mode. I have the DX VF-1J Armored GBP-1 set, and I keep it in fighter mode without the armor.

Twich

It's an understandable opinion, I used to be the same. Weirdly enough it was seeing the redesigns the GBP has received in another franchise entirely that made me appreciate the original design more. 

57 minutes ago, Raikkonen said:

Did 3zero show superpacks for these? 

But they did tease VF-1S Skull Leader, along with M&M VF-1J’s which all get the Fast pack treatment in the animation, along with Kitzconcept releasing Fast Packs, it would seem that it is inevitable for them to do so.

Twich

I'm still on the fence about picking up one of these.

Cons for me are:

1. Head sculpt looks off.
  2. Chest vents look too large.
  3. Its 1/72 scale, so doesn't match with the rest of my collection which is all 1/100, 1/60 and 1/48.
  4. Black panel lines look a bit thick and heavy.
  5. Some of the hinges look a bit ugly.
  6. Its Robotech branded.

I may still pick one up, just to try, but will likely wait for the VF-1S.

1 hour ago, Graham said:

Cons for me are:

3. Its 1/72 scale, so doesn't match with the rest of my collection which is all 1/100, 1/60 and 1/48.
  6. Its Robotech branded.

Shouldn't #6 actually be #1 on your list of cons? :D:lol:

16 hours ago, Spark-O-Matic said:

But there's no reveal or slightest indication that 3zero will release these with superpacks. Yeah, logic says is could happen, but 3zero were also meant to do more with other licenses and then slowed down to nothing with them. 

3 hours ago, Graham said:

Cons for me are:

6. Its Robotech branded.

Point 1 and 6 are halting my interest too along with the broad chest.

8 hours ago, twich said:

But they did tease VF-1S Skull Leader, along with M&M VF-1J’s which all get the Fast pack treatment in the animation, along with Kitzconcept releasing Fast Packs, it would seem that it is inevitable for them to do so.

Twich

Ok. In the animation they got fast packs. And Kitsconcept is a different company. Don't want to be the bringer of bad news, but we shouldn't hype ourselves if you look at 3zero's catalogue. 

5 hours ago, Graham said:

Cons for me are:

6. Its Robotech branded.

1) I think the visor is too small compared to the rest of the head. Also, there's too much space between the visor and the "mouth" area, which is throwing it off for me.

2) Yeah; they're about 10% too big.

3) Yeah...that's gotta suck.

4) Agreed; that could be remedied by an alcohol "wipe", but why should you have to risk the paint job just to compensate for their idiocy?

5) Right? I particularly notice the ones at the top of the chest; no call for that being so unweildly.

6) Well, if ya toss the box and just tell folks it's Macross,  I'm sure you, I and the mech won't say a word! :p

And yeah: it does make me wonder what they'll do with the 1S.

2 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

1) I think the visor is too small compared to the rest of the head. Also, there's too much space between the visor and the "mouth" area, which is throwing it off for me.

I've said my piece before, but the reason everything looks off is that their 1J head is just fundamentally the wrong shape. It goes up from the visor and curves back, when it should have a flat slope going back from the visor instead.

7 hours ago, Raikkonen said:

But there's no reveal or slightest indication that 3zero will release these with superpacks. Yeah, logic says is could happen, but 3zero were also meant to do more with other licenses and then slowed down to nothing with them. 

That was kinda in the back of my mind but didn't want to spoil the high hopes;). Maybe the aftermarket now with advanced printers and engravers someone could make a nice little side job making addon kits to fill the void?  I got a guy in mind who makes Hasbro toy conversion kits who sells really well put together kits that looks factory.  I am going to email him and just point out the possibility on this. seems like something right up this guys alley.

Edited by Spark-O-Matic
Spellcheck

16 hours ago, twich said:

Twich

I think ThreeZero might not even consider them as competition. both companies are on way different levels of production scales, quality control and patented technology . I think Threezero is so big they will drop the ball by leaving fans wanting more but never releasing anything else as pointed out by Raikkonen 

4 hours ago, Spark-O-Matic said:

I think ThreeZero might not even consider them as competition. both companies are on way different levels of production scales, quality control and patented technology . I think Threezero is so big they will drop the ball by leaving fans wanting more but never releasing anything else as pointed out by Raikkonen 

As I said previous in this thread, it would matter not a whit to me if they released fast packs, as I prefer my Macross jets bare. That being said, I know others are heavily into Fast Packs and would not want to deprive them of their joy in the toy collecting by voting against it. This is a hobby of love and passion that is supposed to bring the buyer joy, no matter their preference.

Twich

1 hour ago, twich said:

As I said previous in this thread, it would matter not a whit to me if they released fast packs, as I prefer my Macross jets bare. That being said, I know others are heavily into Fast Packs and would not want to deprive them of their joy in the toy collecting by voting against it. This is a hobby of love and passion that is supposed to bring the buyer joy, no matter their preference.

Twich

Completely understandable position! I've always held similar views about free choice about near everything in life and a good or bad hobby is no exception:)  I can see were many might want them bare as they resemble much better real life avionics external outlines. many fans of fast fighter jets can appraise the sleek aerodynamic stylings. would not surprise me if half the macross collectors were into non robotic model planes & remote controlled planes.

39 minutes ago, tekering said:

Nah, everything points to an awkwardly incompatible 1:67 or so... 🤕

I wonder if it's due to production costs to shave off the scale?

For me it's not possible that with CAD and the resources, that the scale most of the time with all the companies making valks is off the mark. 

Edited by Raikkonen