DX YF-29 Durandal (Maximillian Jenius Unit) WWM Release

no3Ljm

On the Frontier line, the 25 series probably is the easiest to get the shoulders blocks to sit flush with the rest of the fuselage. The 29 is a bit harder, and I find the 27 to be the worst of the lot. Especially when you're trying not to scratch the paint, which will come off if you breathe on it too hard.

But in general Bandai valks have always been inferior to Yamato/Arcadia when it comes to parts all fitting together.

Got mine in yesterday, didn't have much time to mess around with it until tonight.

Had the same issue with an intake cover that someone else here mentioned, but I finally managed to force it in. And the ball joint for the right trigger hand was super loose, so I ended up using the other hand with movable fingers to hold the rifle.

Only my 3rd DX so far (after WW Messiah and Hayate's Siegfried), but it's my favorite so far. And I've always been a fan of Max since the original.

PXL_20221022_012804015.jpg

On 10/20/2022 at 7:12 AM, Sokeijon said:

Finally got mine, but very frustrating and hard to adjust closing up those gaps. 

IMG_20221020_180619.jpg

That don't look bad to me either.  Honestly most people wouldn't even notice or care about that.  But for the price I understand why you would want it to fit nice and tight.

On 10/20/2022 at 7:12 AM, Sokeijon said:

Finally got mine, but very frustrating and hard to adjust closing up those gaps. 

IMG_20221020_180619.jpg

Interesting. I just noticed how even the alignment of the tampo printing can differ. For example, look at the tips of the wing insignias between mine and his.

Ignoring the fact that they made the insignia too big to begin with and shouldn't be extending out all the way to the shoulder plates, you can see the differences between Sokeijon's and mine. 

The tip of the blue wing on his has no gap between that and the painted white section, while mine does and therefore is a little better aligned. 

The tip of his red wing is better aligned than mine as the blue space is a little wider on mine. Meanwhile, the white part I highlighted in green in that same area is practically non-existent on his. 

20221027_172742.jpg.12412c1aaca8ffca1c83b3b30902e049.jpg

Edited by MacrossJunkie

9 hours ago, MacrossJunkie said:

Interesting. I just noticed how even the alignment of the tampo printing can differ. For example, look at the tips of the wing insignias between mine and his.

Ignoring the fact that they made the insignia too big to begin with and shouldn't be extending out all the way to the shoulder plates, you can see the differences between Sokeijon's and mine. 

The tip of the blue wing on his has no gap between that and the painted white section, while mine does and therefore is a little better aligned. 

The tip of his red wing is better aligned than mine as the blue space is a little wider on mine. Meanwhile, the white part I highlighted in green in that same area is practically non-existent on his. 

You have a good eye and thanks for the comparison. Bandai definitely need to re-look into their QC. But I doubt they would. Since they are the monopoly on the market. We just get what they do. 

Good observation @MacrossJunkie. Looking back at my copy, the insignia doesn't seem to be terribly out of alignment.

1578387149_YF-29Maxinsignia.JPG.b769b8a1be8e05b49abb54336fa9f7ee.JPG

I suppose this is why the Delta chogokin valks all have their insignias resized, reangled or reproportioned compared to the line art, to avoid them spilling onto more panels and prevent higher chance of misalignment.

4 hours ago, MKT said:

Good observation @MacrossJunkie. Looking back at my copy, the insignia doesn't seem to be terribly out of alignment.

I suppose this is why the Delta chogokin valks all have their insignias resized, reangled or reproportioned compared to the line art, to avoid them spilling onto more panels and prevent higher chance of misalignment.

Yeah, in this case if you compare to the cg model, it's actually too big on the toy and making more work for them in the end which is strange. 2120527688_MaxYF-29.png.1a0c77b938697bee02f2260202fdd8ea.png

12 minutes ago, MacrossJunkie said:

Yeah, in this case if you compare to the cg model, it's actually too big on the toy and making more work for them in the end which is strange. 2120527688_MaxYF-29.png.1a0c77b938697bee02f2260202fdd8ea.png

Lol so here Bandai did a reverse and made it more complicated on the toy than needed. Chalk this one up to more of Bandai's.. idiosyncrasies. 

5 hours ago, MKT said:

It would be interesting to see the size of the crest comparison between Max and Mirage. If the same, I could only speculate the reason for the larger than cg rendering is the cost of resizing.😁

Speaking of Mirage’s 31ax, here’s my copy unfiddled after from being delivered by Luna. 

Anyone want to merger the two together? ;)

Edit: After looking at @MacrossJunkie reply, Mirage’s version is bigger as it’s splayed out wider to cover the valk while Max’s version is tampoed by ants to make it fit? 🤨

8F83A574-3586-4143-9E9F-AAC7F73A74CC.jpeg

Edited by borgified

I received my YF-29 yesterday. Not sure if it's just my copy, but both of the wing hinges were super duper tight. They wouldn't budge even after applying enough force to make the plastic flex a lot. I was actually scared that the wings would snap before the hinges would move. But after several tries, I was able to move them enough to just barely swing the shoulders out. But the hinges still remain super tight and moving them around takes a lot of force and still flexes the plastic. Therefore I haven't tried to transform it.

I also have the warped gunpod like some people have reported. 

Otherwise, I really like the color scheme.

4 hours ago, ArchieNov said:

I received my YF-29 yesterday. Not sure if it's just my copy, but both of the wing hinges were super duper tight. They wouldn't budge even after applying enough force to make the plastic flex a lot. I was actually scared that the wings would snap before the hinges would move. But after several tries, I was able to move them enough to just barely swing the shoulders out. But the hinges still remain super tight and moving them around takes a lot of force and still flexes the plastic. Therefore I haven't tried to transform it.

I also have the warped gunpod like some people have reported. 

Otherwise, I really like the color scheme.

Exactly the same on my copy, I've been careful trying not to get stress marks by the wing hinges. I open it up just enough for the shoulders to swing out as you say. Stress marks can be easily seen on darker colors. Maybe will try a bit of silicon oil or something.:unknw:

On 11/5/2022 at 7:36 PM, derex3592 said:

Anyone heard ANYTHING from Kappa Hobby on this at this point? I'm beginning to wonder if I dreamed I pre-ordered from them....

On 11/6/2022 at 6:09 AM, Chunky001 said:

Same

Serendipitous timing; I just came to announce I got a shipping notice from them. Hopefully you've gotten one as well or will get one soon.

On 11/23/2022 at 12:18 PM, Mommar said:

that's a great price...  how's everyone's experience been with nin nin recently.  were they ever in fact to be confirmed at nippon yasan?

10 hours ago, orbitalharvest said:

that's a great price...  how's everyone's experience been with nin nin recently.  were they ever in fact to be confirmed at nippon yasan?

If you need to cancel they're ass holes but otherwise I've received everything I've ordered.